Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Givin posted:

https://massivelyop.com/2018/11/01/lotros-progression-server-may-slow-down-experience-gain-and-thats-a-good-thing/

I'm out. Might as well just play live. They'll Daybreak the poo poo out of this. I have zero confidence that a team this small can get this right. See again, Daybreak. Their TLP leveling experience is awful.

I still think it'll be worth checking out since VIP is a fun thing to have if you decide to go back to Landroval anyway

In important news:

The Weekly Coupon gets you +5 Hope Boost (90 minutes) x5 with coupon HOPEBOOST now through November 8th!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Considering they are planning on doing 4 months per expac, I can't imagine they will lower it too much.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
going VIP for a month on a character is worth it for the virtue and talent unlocks, but other than that I like the freedom of just throwing SSG a few bucks when I want to unlock a quest pack and not stressing about Yet Another MMO Subscription.

if I ever grouped in LOTRO the thought of the progression server always having groups might appeal, but eh.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I might actually get back into this on a legendary server. I played the game for the first 6 months, then took a long break and never managed to come back to it. Every time I tried there was so much new content that I found it a bit overwhelming.

With the progression server I can start over and go back to a time when I still understood the game and then slowly ease into all the expansions.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1059491479163408384

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
i'm skipping it, i'm levelling up on Landroval instead and enjoying having everything to myself

also at some point this past few months did they programatically add foliage to scenes? because playing through trollshaws was fun when there was so much undergrowth in spots you literally couldn't see quest npcs

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
They've been slowly prettying up the original zones. Don't know if they've done Trollshaws yet.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gettin in on this on thursday. whats the funnest/most unique class in this game? probably only ever going to play the one. I dont mind tanking if its a tank class.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

queeb posted:

gettin in on this on thursday. whats the funnest/most unique class in this game? probably only ever going to play the one. I dont mind tanking if its a tank class.

Burglar but also they're the hardest to play and most dependent on a group.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Hmm, I guess what's the best soloing class? Lol.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Warden, probably. Their mechanics are fairly unique compared to the other classes, too.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

queeb posted:

Hmm, I guess what's the best soloing class? Lol.

If you mean the best class for solo play, Hunter because it has a super easy rotation, increased movement speed, and a ton of fast travel.

If you mean the best class for soloing content that's supposed to be done in groups, then yeah, Warden.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

queeb posted:

It’ll be fun to see how Wardens, RKs and Bears play into SoA content. I’ll probably still go for Guardian or Champ or something along those lines since I haven’t tried it out yet

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I think I'm gonna go Guardian for that reason: I haven't played one much, and shields are cool.

See you Thursday!

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
I think I'll play on the Legendary Server this Thursday and see how it goes. I mean having RK/Warden/Beorning for SoA content? Should be neat.

quote:

Will there be Trait trees?

Yes.

Can I play a Rune-keeper, Warden, or Beorning?

Yes.

Can I play a High-elf?

Yes.

I'm sure it'll be neat to see people in town again.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

warden it is! sounds like it's pretty unique and fun, throwing javelins and poo poo.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Playing a warden is very much a unique MMO experience, you have to develop muscle memory like in a fighting game to play it effectively because of the combo system (gambits). If you do you pretty much have to commit to it, if you switch between alts you can forget the warden gambits pretty quickly.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 4, 2020

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
don't think it uses any anti-cheat, and there's plugins that will guide you through gambits, but either way you still need to remember which one to trigger regardless

lore-masters are easy-mode up to Mordor when levelling (the pets are overpowered) and always wanted in groups

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lum_ posted:

don't think it uses any anti-cheat, and there's plugins that will guide you through gambits, but either way you still need to remember which one to trigger regardless

Yeah it just seems like it would be easy to setup some descriptive overlay icons with hotkey labels that would perform a macro of the intended gambit.

Lum_ posted:

lore-masters are easy-mode up to Mordor when levelling (the pets are overpowered) and always wanted in groups

Good to know, a bit curious how only lore masters get non combat pets in LoTRO.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I've always used one of those mmo mouses so the muscle memory for gambits is burned into my right thumb.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

puberty worked me over posted:

Good to know, a bit curious how only lore masters get non combat pets in LoTRO.

captains and runekeepers also get combat pets. (and anyone can get one with skirmish NPCs)

lore masters are the only class that gets *good* pets

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Do lore-masters still suffer from obscene button bloat? I know they cut down a lot of the classes but last time I played LOTRO my LM button lay-out felt like something off the space shuttle.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Conskill posted:

Do lore-masters still suffer from obscene button bloat? I know they cut down a lot of the classes but last time I played LOTRO my LM button lay-out felt like something off the space shuttle.

I just came back to my 65 LM after not playing since Mirkwood and it seems a little better. Most of my ability bars are situational stuff for group content or “oh poo poo” buttons. I only use about 6 skills ever when leveling solo. I also specced into the blue line for the first time and dang the bog boy packs a punch.

Speaking of returning players, do I need to care much about legendary items while leveling through the xpacs? I have decent enough leveling ones from Mirkwood but idk when I should start worrying about that stuff again.

Additionally, going from fighting the witch king to collecting wolf asses for hillbillies in Dunland is boring as gently caress. Do the epic quests get more fun again later?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah i only ever got to like.. level 35 in this game? but loremaster had an ok rotation thing of a couple buttons and then a shitton of skills to use in various specific cases even at that low level IIRC, and I loved that about it.

Really tempted to try it again recently though

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

no idea what the gently caress im doing as warden but it seems strong.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
So how many people here are going to be on the legendary server? I know I am going to try it (as a Guardian) but I'm kind of curious how many other goons are interested enough to do it. Maybe we should make a legendary kinship.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Prism posted:

So how many people here are going to be on the legendary server? I know I am going to try it (as a Guardian) but I'm kind of curious how many other goons are interested enough to do it. Maybe we should make a legendary kinship.

Going to give it a whirl. Sitting here right now pursuing the wiki and trying to decide between RK/LM/Minstrel. Leaning towards minstrel so I can eat second breakfast again.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Prism posted:

I’m hoping to roll a character, and would totally be up for a legendary goon kin

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

me and my warden are in for a kinship

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'll be playing on the legendary server. Always stalled out from lack of groups to do the content on level so i'm excited for this.

Can't decide if i'm going to go captain or warden or maybe minstrel

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Sounds like a plan. I'll make the Nazgun (legendary server edition) as soon as I have some spare silver, unless someone else beats me to it or really wants a different name.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I haven't decided yet, might wait a couple weeks to see how it goes, not sure I want to sub to play just yet, if it was f2p would probably try for sure.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
While I'm thinking about it, how much did racial traits matter back then? I seriously can't remember. Debating between hobbit and man for my guard. (Hobbit is currently winning.)

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Prism posted:

While I'm thinking about it, how much did racial traits matter back then? I seriously can't remember. Debating between hobbit and man for my guard. (Hobbit is currently winning.)

The Man heal was pretty massive back then, its why I made my burglar and champ Men back then. But it started to lose effectiveness as early as Moria so Hobbit probably better long term.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fried Sushi posted:

The Man heal was pretty massive back then, its why I made my burglar and champ Men back then. But it started to lose effectiveness as early as Moria so Hobbit probably better long term.

I was also eyeing the block/parry/evade passive on Man but that probably trails off too.

I just realized I don't think I have ever started in the Shire either. And really, isn't that the important thing? Hobbit it is!

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 7, 2018

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Prism posted:

I was also eyeing the block/parry/evade passive on Man but that probably trails off too.

I just realized I don't think I have ever started in the Shire either. And really, isn't that the important thing? Hobbit it is!

The shire is my favorite starting zone. Just hobbits eating pie and having adventures. It's adorable in an entirely theme-appropriate way and I love that.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Conskill posted:

The shire is my favorite starting zone. Just hobbits eating pie and having adventures. It's adorable in an entirely theme-appropriate way and I love that.

My other characters were a Captain and a Champion so I have not had the opportunity.

I do like pie though.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
i'll probably sub for at least 1 month and roll a hobbit bard on legendary. i'm a sucker for the shire starting zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Deliver pie and mail. Hobbits have the best starting zone of any mmorpg.

gently caress it. I'll give it the ole college try.