Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zwabu posted:

My immediate reaction after last night, after a nanosecond of reflection, is that Beto should run. I don't know if anyone else in either party can get voters to rally to him and campaign with such energy.
Beto lost to the guy who lost to Trump. I like Beto, but no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

big boi posted:

I can confirm that these suck and you should stop

If you don't like PPJ tweet dumps just scroll past them lol

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

quote:

McConnell praises Trump

McConnell speaks. He calls it a “good morning for senate Republicans.”

He spoke with Nancy Pelosi, he said, and they discussed “ways forward.” “We’ll probably have a lot more dealings with each other in the future.”

“I want to thank the president. He was extremely helpful to us... he worked very hard and drew large crowds.”

Shut up you awful bootlicking nazi.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Inferior Third Season posted:

It will really effectively be 55-45 for the 2020 election. Doug Jones is not keeping his seat.

Someone should primary that guy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hmm, all these black women overperformed in their elections, you know who should run? The white guy who lost

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

my bony fealty posted:

Just reverse that Javascript someone posted to delete all posts with outside content. Make this thread into an endless uninterrupted screaming match 100% of the time instead of 99%.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

been there for two years, glad to see you could join the conversation

it's up there with court-packing in the list of "things that if you are not talking about, you are fundamentally unserious about winning"
This is insanely short-sighted.

For one, it won't happen. For two, it assumes a view of rural states that's ahistoric.

The GOP is increasingly the party of the white suburbanite. Their policies gently caress agriculture, gently caress poor whites, gently caress women and kill them all off with pill addictions. Go after those "blood red" small states with senate candidates pitching policies that help those people directly. Pro-ag bill which is being shredded by the republicans, pro treatment, pro-women and talk directly to people in poverty. Look at the successes Eugene Debs had a century ago in areas that are completely written off by the national democrats.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Lol Beto and Gillum aren't running.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Hmm, all these black women overperformed in their elections, you know who should run? The white guy who lost

Beto would be a good VP

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I am very sad that Stacey Abrams most likely lost the GA governor race.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah Beto and gillum can run now. So there is a positive.

as much as this is a fantasy of #resistance twitter and i hate that, they're both farther left and more charismatic than almost all other candidates right now. either one would be an excellent veep for Sanders, given his reasonable chances of dying in office

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Inferior Third Season posted:

It will really effectively be 55-45 for the 2020 election. Doug Jones is not keeping his seat.

he probably isn't...but i can easily see roy moore making another run at it

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Easy Diff posted:

Results in Texas don't extrapolate nationally.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

So is the NPC av the new corn av?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Easy Diff posted:

He lost by two percent in Texas.

The empty suit who ran against Cornyn in '14 lost by 17.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

If you compare to the last Texas Senate election he went up literally 15% lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

Yeah this is why as much as i hated red state democratic senators, we badly needed them: 2020 is a huge inflection point and stuff like voting rights reform and PR/DC statehood are so directly tied to the viability of the Democratic party that they'd probably support those and no Republican, however 'moderate' will. If Tester and Sinema can pull out wins despite being slightly down in the count right now (I have little hope for a Nelson recount but Tester and Sinema aren't dead yet), it might be possible to do this: I think we can swing 52-48. I don't know we can swing 54-46.

It would be interesting to see if Republicans block new supreme court nominees in 2020 assuming a Democrat win. Let's say Dems win 2020, RBG retires a few months later. Do the Republicans have the balls to block the nominee of a newly appointed Democratic president?

Like yeah they did it with Garland but Garland they at least had the (flimsy) excuse of election year blahblah. A new Democratic president with a mandate having their nominees blocked should in theory be really bad optics.

Of course that has never stopped Republicans before so I guess I should expect them to treat a new Democratic President as bad or worse than they did Obama.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Honestly, I feel like last night was a solid rebuke of Blue Dog centrism and also a bucket of cold water on the young progressive stars of the party. If anyone came out looking strong for 2020, it was Sherrod Brown and Amy Klobuchar: strong on economic issues without rocking the cultural boat, notably outperforming in their states and demographics.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

my bony fealty posted:

Because of the tweet dumps I have to scroll a fair bit every time I open the thread. Not complaining because they have good information but it gets irritating as gently caress

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tibalt posted:

Lol Beto and Gillum aren't running.
Unless the Tallahassee Mayorship grants time travel powers, Gillum is about six months late on gathering the background support you need to make a non-vanity presidential primary run.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Ginette Reno posted:

It would be interesting to see if Republicans block new supreme court nominees in 2020 assuming a Democrat win. Let's say Dems win 2020, RBG retires a few months later. Do the Republicans have the balls to block the nominee of a newly appointed Democratic president?

Like yeah they did it with Garland but Garland they at least had the (flimsy) excuse of election year blahblah. A new Democratic president with a mandate having their nominees blocked should in theory be really bad optics.

Of course that has never stopped Republicans before so I guess I should expect them to treat a new Democratic President as bad or worse than they did Obama.

Do you honestly believe Mitch McConnell gives a singular gently caress about optics?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

haveblue posted:

Only if the economy continues to perform at this level for the next two years.

sean10mm posted:

Nah, if/when the economy tanks because of his garbage policies it can go much, much lower.

It's been pointed out, but the national popular result here was on par with post-recession gains for Democrats. It's possible that a bad economy would push even harder, or it's possible that we're bumping up against a limit of the kind of support that we can expect for Democrats in the current political environment.

It feels like calling last night a wave because it's on par with 2008 and then saying that we'll do even better in 2020 is a bit like wanting to have your cake and eat it too. It assumes that every factor that could push someone away from Trump is additive and actually all these racists are just holding their nose and voting for Trump because of the economy.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Martian posted:

Yeah, why would you assume that Trump will get more popular? He might very well lose a lot of support and his brain degradation may become (even more) obvious.

Nothing is certain

Yeah, a lot can happen in 2 years. It can go both ways, but I have hope that Donald Trump will gently caress it up.

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Beto did good, I hope Dems can hold onto a lot of the blue urban areas in 2020

Good way to have that happen? If Beto runs again in 2020. Even just in a primary campaign that makes it to Super Tuesday, a lot of Texas Dems are going to remain engaged and a lot of pre-existing infrastructure can be reutilized. While obviously his charisma isn't enough to carry the state for the electoral college, he obviously vastly exceeded expectations and was the rising tide that lifted all ships. For comparison, in the 2014 senate midterms, John Cormyn won by 26 percent. Cruz won by 1.5. There will be new seats up for re-election in 2020 that aren't up in this year, such as the state senate.

That's how we eventually get a blue Texas, is have state and local victories.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ginette Reno posted:

...yes? Last time they did it they captured the entire federal government for two years, where's the incentive not to? It's safe to assume they'll do anything that isn't straight up illegal, and anything that is if they can lock it in before a court stops them.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

evilweasel posted:

he probably isn't...but i can easily see roy moore making another run at it
My money is on Jeff Sessions getting canned in the next few days/weeks, and him running for his old seat again in 2020.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Easy Diff posted:

Beto lost to the guy who lost to Trump.

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read in D&D. Congratulations!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tibalt posted:

Unless the Tallahassee Mayorship grants time travel powers, Gillum is about six months late on gathering the background support you need to make a non-vanity presidential primary run.

i mean he is now a national name that lefties all over are sad about losing. he's in a great position for veep

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Martian posted:

Yeah, why would you assume that Trump will get more popular? He might very well lose a lot of support and his brain degradation may become (even more) obvious.

Nothing is certain

Worst case: Trump dies right before election; president pence with his calm, horse loving hands steers the ship to apocalypse

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ginette Reno posted:

Of course they would. The Republicans are playing for keeps.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

not joseph stalin posted:

Good way to have that happen? If Beto runs again in 2020. Even just in a primary campaign that makes it to Super Tuesday, a lot of Texas Dems are going to remain engaged and a lot of pre-existing infrastructure can be reutilized. While obviously his charisma isn't enough to carry the state for the electoral college, he obviously vastly exceeded expectations and was the rising tide that lifted all ships. For comparison, in the 2014 senate midterms, John Cormyn won by 26 percent. Cruz won by 1.5. There will be new seats up for re-election in 2020 that aren't up in this year, such as the state senate.

That's how we eventually get a blue Texas, is have state and local victories.

Cornyn would arguably be even a better target for Beto. He's a fossil who probably has no idea how to campaign effectively for the Senate.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

Worst case: Trump dies right before election; president pence with his calm, horse loving hands steers the ship to apocalypse

USPOL/Trump Winter: his calm, horse loving hands steers the ship to apocalypse

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
How much younger and less white will the electorate be in 2020+?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

eke out posted:

i mean he is now a national name that lefties all over are sad about losing. he's in a great position for veep

Yeah, and also him as Veep might help downticket turnout again in 2020 here in Texas. That'd be awesome.

My hope is that we get more Killer D's and then you don't have to worry about gerrymandering for 2020 at least (not happening but you know its a dream)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Looks like Lamont is going to hold on in CT-GOV which is nice. Finally has his revenge against the Connecticut for Leiberman Party.

Nytimes also thinks MT-SEN eventually goes our way. Sucks AZ didn't come through but 54/46 is a bad if workable map for 2020.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Karen Handel just went down in the GA-06, not sure if anyone beat me to that.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1060194964351660033

there we go

(i assume these numbers are a lie)

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Also tweetdumps are literally the best thing about these threads. Much better than the garbage takes most of us have.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Pence would very much actually make America the Handmaids Tale. Without even blinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fishing with the fam posted:

Do you honestly believe Mitch McConnell gives a singular gently caress about optics?

Only in the sense that doing it could politically backfire by firing up Democrat voters and make the 2022 mid terms a headache for Republicans.

But he might decide trying to steal another seat is worth the effort.