Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Y'all missed a spicy one:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1060155917059219461

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

No way they'll call your bluff, nice one.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-pol...rows-overnight/

Florida’s senate vote might be going to recount. I’m sure we hosed it anyways.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Nephzinho posted:

No way they'll call your bluff, nice one.

"Whatever you do, please don't throw me in that there briar patch!"

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
lmao

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

The panthers will eat your face party strikes again!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
So, aside from Manchin in WV, what moderate "please court the right" style candidates even won last night? Seems like most of the ones playing the angle of trying to be appealing to conservatives lost.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Debbie Stabenow.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Debbie Stabenow.

Debbie Stabnow?

Wouldn't want to make her angry.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Debbie Stabenow.

Ah, yes. In a sea of Midwestern conservatism, nice to see Michigan at least partially waking up from its 2016 hangover.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mlmp08 posted:

So, aside from Manchin in WV, what moderate "please court the right" style candidates even won last night? Seems like most of the ones playing the angle of trying to be appealing to conservatives lost.

Conor Lamb is sort of that description (but with big differences like labor), I bet there's a good number of house dems that played to their district and won by not rocking the boat.

The big wins/flips were absolutely not by blue dogs though, so it's more a "why did they win" thing. The losses (ex. Manchin) in the Senate included mccaskill, heitkamp, and donnelly, though Tester and Sinema might be called as losses later today. Sort of a mixed bag but when you consider outright suppression it gets real clear that the blue dogs got their asses kicked while the candidates running toward the left flipped seats.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

BigDave posted:

Debbie Stabnow?

Wouldn't want to make her angry.

Why? She’d still be a useless empty suit.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Why? She’d still be a useless empty suit.

Debbie Stab-now.

As in, Debbie will stab you.

shut up I'm still working on my coffee

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

BigDave posted:

Debbie Stab-now.

As in, Debbie will stab you.

shut up I'm still working on my coffee

I thought it was funny for the record

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

A bunch of house seats. The three women that won long-time Republican seats in VA were running as center-left candidates stand out in my mind, but in reading through the results there were definitely others around the country.

Laura Kelly in the Kansas governor race as well.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 7, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

A bunch of house seats. The three women that won long-time Republican seats in VA were running as center-left candidates.

I guess I was unclear. I mean did anyone hang on or get elected by actively moving to the right from their old positions?

Because that's what a lot of these "you're too left" types argue. That people on the left need to move right. Not that of course you run a moderate-ish person in tightly contested purple moderate areas.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I guess I was unclear. I mean did anyone hang on or get elected by actively moving to the right from their old positions?

Because that's what a lot of these "you're too left" types argue. That people on the left need to move right. Not that of course you run a moderate-ish person in tightly contested purple moderate areas.

Yeah McCaskill et al should have sensed the end coming in 2016 and just ridden the lightning instead of partially bending the knee. Tester and Manchin live in nontraditional conservative states so it worked out (we'll see with Tester anyway), but people in the lower Midwest just eat up that Dems Are Evil bullshit regardless of the way the candidate is voting. I don't think any of them would have won by voting more liberal, but at least they would have left office with their credibility intact.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 7, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
This was a pretty good run for the left considering just how loving empty the cabinet was after the butchering they took during The Decorum Years.

Texas alone saw 12(maybe 13) state House races flip, including shitheads like Texas House Freedom Caucus Gloryboy Matt Rinaldi and 'Bathroom Bill' writer Ron Simmons. I think the business community in Texas is starting to realize that letting the crazies run everything was going to end badly so I expect to see the more moderate sides of the GOP and the larger Democrat caucus to work together to keep the culture war poo poo on the back burner. Democrats also flipped two seats in the Senate which will annoy Dan Patrick to no end. It won't really improve life in Texas because we're just going to full speed ahead slash taxes and education, but maybe we can hold off hanging the LGBTQ+ community in the town square for a bit.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A lot of support for Beto is largely responsible for turning downticket TX races into meatgrinders. So even though he didn't win, he helped out more than people realize.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

This was a pretty good run for the left considering just how loving empty the cabinet was after the butchering they took during The Decorum Years.

Texas alone saw 12(maybe 13) state House races flip, including shitheads like Texas House Freedom Caucus Gloryboy Matt Rinaldi and 'Bathroom Bill' writer Ron Simmons. I think the business community in Texas is starting to realize that letting the crazies run everything was going to end badly so I expect to see the more moderate sides of the GOP and the larger Democrat caucus to work together to keep the culture war poo poo on the back burner. Democrats also flipped two seats in the Senate which will annoy Dan Patrick to no end. It won't really improve life in Texas because we're just going to full speed ahead slash taxes and education, but maybe we can hold off hanging the LGBTQ+ community in the town square for a bit.

They still have to win primaries, and the Republican base is gladly on board with Trump's ride into the gutter.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They still have to win primaries, and the Republican base is gladly on board with Trump's ride into the gutter.

Most of the business minded Republicans are in pretty safe districts with regards to who their base and funding is, ie more affluent white people. Don't get me wrong, come Sunday morning all these people are attending horrible churches but most of them don't actually care, its just the required social setting. These fucks only care about one thing and that is making more money which means not letting Dan Patrick and his fundamentalist loonies strangle the goose that lays the golden egg. Its why we'll almost certainly see another Texas House Speaker like Joe Straus who had the support of moderate/business Republicans and Democrats and is pretty much the sole reason the Texas HFC hasn't gotten their way.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vasudus posted:

A lot of support for Beto is largely responsible for turning downticket TX races into meatgrinders. So even though he didn't win, he helped out more than people realize.

Yeah, this is a huge thing that I think a lot of the "nothing matters" crew is ignoring or missing out on.

I'm bummed out about Florida, and Georgia looks to be going the same way, but there is a lot of good stuff that happened last night that shouldn't be ignored. I mean 1.4 million people getting their voting rights back is a huge loving deal.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
It's gonna own when the stock market collapses due to "obstruction by the democratic house" and we get king trump

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Silver linings and all that, as far as I can tell Republicans really didn't make any relative gains in power.

They where already able to pass poo poo with impunity, but kept tripping over their own dicks to accomplish it, now they can't even do that. They lost a few governors mansions and the house seems to have flipped by a large margin. All of this in a year in which Democrats where mostly on the chopping block, all in all picking up extra Senate seats really doesn't matter, because they where able to throw beer judge into a supreme court vacancies anyway. I'm just angry that Kemp is gonna end up in the governors mansion here, and his conduct during the election WRT keeping the elections fair won't ever be investigated.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

Silver linings and all that, as far as I can tell Republicans really didn't make any relative gains in power.

They where already able to pass poo poo with impunity, but kept tripping over their own dicks to accomplish it, now they can't even do that. They lost a few governors mansions and the house seems to have flipped by a large margin. All of this in a year in which Democrats where mostly on the chopping block. I'm just angry that Kemp is gonna end up in the governors mansion here, and his conduct during the election WRT keeping the elections fair won't ever be investigated.

Their lead in the Senate means that more senators need to hem and haw to moderate anything. Unfortunately we see its all an act so :rip: the courts.

The house can prevent anything non appointment related. We'll have to see what dumb poo poo is done during the lame duck.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 7, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

They where already able to pass poo poo with impunity, but kept tripping over their own dicks to accomplish it, now they can't even do that. They lost a few governors mansions and the house seems to have flipped by a large margin. All of this in a year in which Democrats where mostly on the chopping block, all in all picking up extra Senate seats really doesn't matter, because they where able to throw beer judge into a supreme court vacancies anyway. I'm just angry that Kemp is gonna end up in the governors mansion here, and his conduct during the election WRT keeping the elections fair won't ever be investigated.

The state level races are huge. A couple more bad showings and Republicans were seriously at a point they could call for a Constitutional Convention.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Their lead in the Senate means that more senators need to hem and haw to moderate anything. Unfortunately we see its all an act so :rip: the courts.

The house can prevent anything non appointment related. We'll have to see what dumb poo poo is down during the lame duck.

oh they are for sure killing obamacare in the lame duck :laffo:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

It's gonna own when the stock market collapses due to "obstruction by the democratic house" and we get king trump

Ehhhh, considering how well the economy is right now (or at least how people perceive it to be), I have my doubts that if/when things go tits up in the next two years, Trump ends up the victor.

Gonna be kinda hard for them to keep pushing the "We want to protect pre-existing conditions, Dems want to remove it!" bullshit when the Dem house doesn't let it get to a vote or soundly defeats it if the Senate sends them a bill.

I'd also argue that PA's and MI's house races are indicative that his poo poo isn't working nearly as well as it did two years ago. Time will tell.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The realistic gains are mostly:

1) The democrats lost senate seats largely in places that they had no business being in. Control of the senate was almost assuredly (~80%) likely to still be in republican hands. The senate is still going to confirm lovely people for judges and cabinet positions so this changes nothing.

2) There was a considerable amount of good state-level legislation that passed largely in part to the incredibly high turnout. Some measures that might not have survived in a typical midterm got passed.

3) Enough governorships changed hands that calling a constitutional convention is completely off the table. People might not have realized it but the GOP was *this* close to calling for one, changing poo poo in the constitution, and passing it because they controlled enough states. This is insanely good for the long term.

4) If I had to pick between the house and the senate flipping, I will take the house every goddamn time. Remember, legislation starts in the house. Democratic house means no GOP agenda. Democratic senate means Joe Manchin votes to push things along in favor of bipartisanship.

5) The democrats are in a very good position for 2020, both in gestalt political terms and also raw senate math. Lots of republican senators are up in 2020.

edit: 6) A bunch of really, really lovely republicans got the boot. Not all of them, but enough of them.

Some people online and on the news are crying that the sky is falling because the BLUE WAVE didn't meet the incredibly unrealistic possibilities that were on the fringes of the prediction models. Yesterday was a solid win, period. It's like complaining that someone won a boxing match by points but didn't get a TKO.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vasudus posted:

1) The democrats lost senate seats largely in places that they had no business being in. Control of the senate was almost assuredly (~80%) likely to still be in republican hands. The senate is still going to confirm lovely people for judges and cabinet positions so this changes nothing.

2) There was a considerable amount of good state-level legislation that passed largely in part to the incredibly high turnout. Some measures that might not have survived in a typical midterm got passed.

3) Enough governorships changed hands that calling a constitutional convention is completely off the table. People might not have realized it but the GOP was *this* close to calling for one, changing poo poo in the constitution, and passing it because they controlled enough states. This is insanely good for the long term.

4) If I had to pick between the house and the senate flipping, I will take the house every goddamn time. Remember, legislation starts in the house. Democratic house means no GOP agenda. Democratic senate means Joe Manchin votes to push things along in favor of bipartisanship.

5) The democrats are in a very good position for 2020, both in gestalt political terms and also raw senate math. Lots of republican senators are up in 2020.

edit: 6) A bunch of really, really lovely republicans got the boot. Not all of them, but enough of them.

Some people online and on the news are crying that the sky is falling because the BLUE WAVE didn't meet the incredibly unrealistic possibilities that were on the fringes of the prediction models. Yesterday was a solid win, period. It's like complaining that someone won a boxing match by points but didn't get a TKO.

A good take away.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Vasudus posted:

It's like complaining that someone won a boxing match by points but didn't get a TKO.

I used to have a friend who told me that if a champion didn't beat a challenger by knockout/submission (MMA) then he didn't deserve to keep the belt.
This person was also very stupid.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Vasudus posted:

vas with the good takes.

also worth mentioning is that the democratic bench got some much-needed rookies this cycle. beto, gillum, etc. might have lost but they're not going anywhere and got some national exposure.

i'm also going to continue stanning michigan's new governor, watch her.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I think a lot of the "sky is falling" is coming from people who were super behind Gilliam, Abrams, and Beto and refusing to look beyond those races at the bigger picture.

Beto's coat tails did a hell of a lot of good. Even though he lost, he lost within 3 points (which is insane considering how routinely Dems get clobbered in that state), he's not gonna disappear and he helped down ballot races a lot more than running someone like, Wendy Davis or Juan Castro, would have.

Abrams is likely gonna push for a run off. gently caress if I know how that goes, it'd be nice if she wins but I'm not optimistic about that one.

Gilliam, well, Florida being Florida, is anyone loving surprised? Also like Beto, he lost by a stupidly small margin, he's not going to disappear.

House oversight is a huge get, as is the net governorships and the FL actually passing re-enfranchisement for felons.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

2020 republican senate map is as brutal as this year was for dems

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vasudus posted:

Wait really? This is the first I've heard of a constitutional convention.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vasudus posted:

legislation starts in the house

I think this only applies to certain types of legislation.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

BigDave posted:

Republicans took A LOT of governorships and legislatures during the Obama years. They were seriously just a few more away from being able to call one.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Aren't all appointments done through the senate?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

McNally posted:

I think this only applies to certain types of legislation.

And its only a formality. Regardless the exact same text needs to be passed by both houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

BigDave posted:

There's been plenty of republican PACs that have been pushing for it ever since 2014 or so. It's been kept mostly low-key, but it was 100000% something on the agenda. As of last year they had uh...37? governor's mansions and 34? state houses, something like that. They need 38. I think it was the Federalist Society (because of course) that has the text written up for a 'marriage is between a man and a woman' and a generic no abortion amendment, in addition to probably a host of other hellish options.