Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/missmayn/status/1059970926563930112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I don't see why you couldn't amend away the senate. You just maybe need to strike the language that says you can't first. Or at least, not being able to do that would basically invalidate the current constitution which wasn't adopted according to the rules of the old one.

There's also the core argument that government legitimacy is derived from popular support. That's a kind of laughable argument to make in 2018 though.

That said, even *if* you got popular support for that, it's an academic question because you run into the same problems with the amendment process you do with anything else... soo... don't think there are very many legal venues to unfuck the senate and courts.

Probably better off pushing for an increased size in the house. That can be done by statute, likely has cross-party appeal, and it'd unfuck the electoral college at least.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Quorum posted:

Probably! Congress has broad power to regulate elections (for federal offices, at least), and what you can regulate, you can investigate.

yeah actual enforcement seems questionable but sunlight could be useful

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yeah this. Thank goodness Wisconsin finally pulled their poo poo together

I like to think my Tony Evers yard sign was the difference. You're welcome.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Drone posted:

So can a Democratic House do anything meaningful to protect the Mueller investigation or is that something that only the Senate could do?

That's one of the few things they can do

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

friendly 2 da void posted:

I feel like this would have been a way better take if Dave Brat, the actual real-life herald of the Tea Party, the Trumpist OG candidate who ran on Pure Trump Forever, hadn't lost his seat to an explicitly progressive anti-Trump candidate less than 24 hours ago.

"The rightward shift they pushed for was completed" -- a native american lesbian just smashed a republican incumbent in Kansas. She wasn't running to the right of him.

Also, the tea party is not "in control of all the country's major level of power", that's just pure disinformation. Is your commitment to despair so strong that you've contorted yourself into believing that the House of Representatives does not represent a major level of power?

the house is an irrelevant sideshow without the senate

it'll make some fun headlines and make some powerful people mildly uncomfortable before they use their money and influence to make it go away as always, which is really the best i can still hope for so whatever

the right wing has cemented their institutional lock on the american government, successfully decoupling their continued influence from the will of the voters, and the only real consolation is that this country's going to die screaming within our lifetimes just like everywhere else

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Buffer posted:

I don't see why you couldn't amend away the senate. You just maybe need to strike the language that says you can't first. Or at least, not being able to do that would basically invalidate the current constitution which wasn't adopted according to the rules of the old one.

There's also the core argument that government legitimacy is derived from popular support. That's a kind of laughable argument to make in 2018 though.

That said, even *if* you got popular support for that, it's an academic question because you run into the same problems with the amendment process you do with anything else... soo... don't think there are very many legal venues to unfuck the senate and courts.

Probably better off pushing for an increased size in the house. That can be done by statute, likely has cross-party appeal, and it'd unfuck the electoral college at least.

This is a hilarious pipe dream but I support it. gently caress the Senate.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Your Taint posted:

We all know what hes gonna say.

Absolutely. It’s just a way for him to get attention again.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So last night my pizza delivery guy saw my Stacey Abrams yard sign and said that he likes her a lot but didn’t vote for her because the TV said she was going to take our guns away and I had to explain to him that governors cant unilaterally change a constitutional amendment and that was when I knew we were in trouble. :shepface:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Taint posted:

I like to think my Tony Evers yard sign was the difference. You're welcome.

:cheers:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A 9 point win is a wave. You can’t spin that.

It’s not though, 2006 was 10.6

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Buffer posted:

I don't see why you couldn't amend away the senate. You just maybe need to strike the language that says you can't first. Not being able to do that would basically invalidate the current constitution.
An amendment to allow an amendment to abolish the Senate would probably be successfully challenged as "some goofy bullshit" but I don't think there's any case law that covers anything close.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Oxxidation posted:

it'll make some fun headlines and make some powerful people mildly uncomfortable before they use their money and influence to make it go away as always, which is really the best i can still hope for so whatever

the right wing has cemented their institutional lock on the american government, successfully decoupling their continued influence from the will of the voters, and the only real consolation is that this country's going to die screaming within our lifetimes just like everywhere else

This is some sad brains/nothing matters right here.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Democrats didn't do poo poo about literal war criminal George W Bush who is now cool and their friend.

Anyone expecting anything better out of them for Trump is living in a fantasy land.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Quorum posted:

Probably! Congress has broad power to regulate elections (for federal offices, at least), and what you can regulate, you can investigate.

Thanks!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think you can really draw conclusions from long-term incumbents holding on in red states. Red state voters are authoritarians and white, male, long term incumbents are Authority. I mean maybe there's a better reason in the data but I suspect that's the root of it. McCaskill and Heitkamp don't check all those boxes, just some of them.

I disagree, because some incumbents held on and some didn't. Brown and McCaskill were both elected in 2006. Maybe it's a woman/man thing, but then why did Joe Donnelly lose - is the difference between a one term senator and a two term senator that big?

I mean, maybe that's it, maybe not - but because Brown is a Good Senator yet he cruised to re-election in a red state while that red state elected a Republican governor, he's the most important successful candidate to learn from when it comes to how you win statewide races in red states I can think of. I would like to have a better idea why Manchin can do what he does as well, but Brown is much more useful because he's the sort of red state senator we want.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I needed this so much in my life.

May Q from Star Trek teleport them in front of a borg cube.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I was driving through Vermont last night and had NPR on to listen to results. Their hot take was that all of the additional Democratic support in purple and red states means that voters are tracking right of center and that Democrats need to be more conservative.

I was screaming at the radio after that.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

eke out posted:

yeah actual enforcement seems questionable but sunlight could be useful

Incidentally, inquiries into voter suppression and elections malfeasance probably falls under the purview of either the House Judiciary Committee (Subcommittee on Constitution and Civil Justice), soon to be chaired by Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), or the House Oversight Committee, soon to be chaired by Elijah Cummings (D-MD). They could also spin up a Select Committee. They can spin up a Select Committee on absolutely anything. :unsmigghh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah man, the House definitely didn't paralyze Obama's agenda from 2010 onwards, we were all just imagining it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I think looking at Brown and figuring out how he did what he did is the most important lesson of this election. Because not only did he cruise to re-election, it was never really in doubt.

I kinda wanted Brown to run in 2020 (though for some reason he has never seemed interested) but now that OH has a Republican governor I don't think you can afford to give up the seat.

Yeah I think that the lesson that should be learned, especially for people in this thread, is that candidates in places like Ohio are gonna have some Blue Dog tendencies and should probably be tolerated. Tim Ryan gets poo poo in this thread every time his name pops up, but he is an absolutely perfect prototype for the kind of Democrat that wins in Ohio. I don't think he should be Speaker, or run for President (both of which he is thinking about), but drat.....he would've absolutely won the Governor's race last night if he ran. He and Sherrod Brown's politics are nearly identical these days.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Tibalt posted:

An amendment to allow an amendment to abolish the Senate would probably be successfully challenged as "some goofy bullshit" but I don't think there's any case law that covers anything close.

That was precisely how the current constitution was adopted soooo.....

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Waves come in many sizes.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tibalt posted:

To clarify, I mean that the Roberts court would at least entertain the argument that changing the rules to abolish the Senate would be subject to the same requirements as doing it directly.

But that's one hell of a hypothetical.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mahoning posted:

Yeah I think that the lesson that should be learned, especially for people in this thread, is that candidates in places like Ohio are gonna have some Blue Dog tendencies and should probably be tolerated. Tim Ryan gets poo poo in this thread every time his name pops up, but he is an absolutely perfect prototype for the kind of Democrat that wins in Ohio. I don't think he should be Speaker, or run for President (both of which he is thinking about), but drat.....he would've absolutely won the Governor's race last night if he ran. He and Sherrod Brown's politics are nearly identical these days.

The thing is, Brown isn't a senator anyone thinks of when they think of Blue Dogs. Why'd he win, when the Senators who you do think of as Blue Dogs mostly lost?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pookel posted:

What? Korean Americans have always leaned conservative, especially wealthy Korean Americans.

the AAPI voter project seems to indicate otherwise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Soothing Vapors posted:

if anyone needs a pick me up because you're bummed that your unrealistic expectations for last night didn't come true, Laura Loomer is losing her loving mind because she feels that Daddy Trump and Fox News both let her down by not broadcasting her insanity 24/7 and she's super depressed

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1060186507078762496

She's tweeted 13 times in the past hour and it's all some variation on this

This fuels me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man, can you drowsy ducks be happy for five minutes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The Democrats didn't do poo poo about literal war criminal George W Bush who is now cool and their friend.

Anyone expecting anything better out of them for Trump is living in a fantasy land.

Meanwhile in reality Adam Schiff has been salivating at the opportunity to subpoena anyone he possibly can and refer them for indictment. And he’s about to have that power.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

friendly 2 da void posted:

“The rightward shift they pushed for was completed" -- a native american lesbian just smashed a republican incumbent in Kansas. She wasn't running to the right of him.

She’s also ripped as hell.

Looks like the antifa supersoldier serum has been perfected.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 7, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

also it's not 9 according to NYT

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

2010 and 1994 were 7.1 or less, and those are the two republican "wave" elections in modern history

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah man, the House definitely didn't paralyze Obama's agenda from 2010 onwards, we were all just imagining it.

paralysis means nothing in this case because the country and the world naturally trends towards fascism anyway

you would need the influence to actually create and implement policy in defiance of that trend, which is impossible without senate (let's be honest, also extremely unlikely with the senate because the democratic graybeards are all collaborators, but it's still a distinction)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
TBH, Dems need to run on school funding in 2020, it's the kind of message that works great pretty much every where and encompasses a lot of popular progressive policies.

That and UHC should be a winning message

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Man, can you drowsy ducks be happy for five minutes

Happiness is the enemy of progress, Comrade.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Is there a different thread for wallowing around and being sadbrains, or is it this one?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Inglonias posted:

Is there a different thread for wallowing around and being sadbrains, or is it this one?
Haha nope! Come join us as we mope and debate whether you can PACK THE COURTS or not

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

ni.ce

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Rinkles posted:

It’s projected to go over 9 once the millions of CA votes come in I believe. It’s like how Trump was leading the popular vote for like an entire day after the election until CA finished counting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/shahed/status/1060200569590214656