Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: in general I think the turning point in SRW game series is when basically every unit becomes a flying unit. I always like it better before then.

I'll take every unit flying because I don't like my favorite/most usable guys being neutered when the inevitable water stage comes around (and there are never enough adapters to go around).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Brunom1 posted:

I'll take every unit flying because I don't like my favorite/most usable guys being neutered when the inevitable water stage comes around (and there are never enough adapters to go around).
It's not specifically that they're all flying; I mean in the symbolic sense that they've all gone through their mid-season upgrades, which more often than not grants flying ability, and there's not much further to go for meaningful unit development. But there's still like three more games to go in the series.

SRW is losing a lot of its luster for me. This year I went for months straight a few times not thinking about it at all. I sure hope whatever they announce next month, if anything, turns things around.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Caphi posted:

"there are more aliens, and it's Shu's fault somehow."

Hey now it was the Zuvorg's fault.

Also its funny to remember that OG has colonies because they never use them for anything ever.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: in general I think the turning point in SRW game series is when basically every unit becomes a flying unit. I always like it better before then.

I feel like that's part of the problem with Gundam as well. I can't remember who said it, but in the Z thread, someone pointed out how the Asshimar was a real cool threat was because it could fly under its own power (in an alt form but still) and had a beam rifle, but now that's kinda just expected with mobile suits. Like, it's something kinda awkward with having the Nu Gundam alongside the Strike Freedom and the 00 Qan[t]. They're flying around like it's completely normal (especially the 00 Qan[t]) while the Nu Gundam is trudging along the ground.

Edit: I'm not saying Gundams can't fly. I'm fine with the end result being flying, like the Wing Zero, and I do like the X and Double X, it's just that it kinda loses how big a deal flight should've been. Even Seed drops the ball when we see Zaft has flight mobile suits. 00 was just like "You get flight, and you get flight, and you get flight". I don't know, I kinda just miss seeing flight as a big deal.

Inferno-sama fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 6, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
IBO must be good for you since 99% of units are grounded.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

IBO must be good for you since 99% of units are grounded.

IBO is good, yes.

A really odd, neat thing about it is that, under the hood, it's an ultra high tech society. Mars is terraformed, you can head to Jupiter and back in a matter of months, medical nanotech is common even out in the boonies, FTL communication is cheap enough for mercenaries to have a setup on their flagships, and every mobile suit and spaceship has a gravity manipulation device that also makes it nearly immune to beam weapons. If they had any form of warp, they'd probably be able to hang out with space opera settings.

But all that comes together to make combat more medieval. Until the end of the series, the best way to fight was to run up to the opposing mobile suit and smash its stupid face in with a hammer, the cheapest way to get elite troops is to perform possibly lethal back alley surgery on children, and long range communication is a nightmare due to ahab waves. The future arrived, and it mostly made things worse.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Inferno-sama posted:

I feel like that's part of the problem with Gundam as well. I can't remember who said it, but in the Z thread, someone pointed out how the Asshimar was a real cool threat was because it could fly under its own power (in an alt form but still) and had a beam rifle, but now that's kinda just expected with mobile suits. Like, it's something kinda awkward with having the Nu Gundam alongside the Strike Freedom and the 00 Qan[t]. They're flying around like it's completely normal (especially the 00 Qan[t]) while the Nu Gundam is trudging along the ground.

Edit: I'm not saying Gundams can't fly. I'm fine with the end result being flying, like the Wing Zero, and I do like the X and Double X, it's just that it kinda loses how big a deal flight should've been. Even Seed drops the ball when we see Zaft has flight mobile suits. 00 was just like "You get flight, and you get flight, and you get flight". I don't know, I kinda just miss seeing flight as a big deal.

This argument would make more sense to me if literally every Gundam show didn't spend half its time in space, where everything flies. Also idk where SRW gets the idea that the Nu can't fly from. It's in space the entire movie so there's no confirmation there one way or the other, and the ZZ could fly without transforming.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/srw_game/status/1059616874613198848?s=19

Let's go I guess.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Please don't be just another V/X but with a different storyline...

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
SRW Lambda: The twist at the end is that there's only one dimension.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Droyer posted:

This argument would make more sense to me if literally every Gundam show didn't spend half its time in space, where everything flies. Also idk where SRW gets the idea that the Nu can't fly from. It's in space the entire movie so there's no confirmation there one way or the other, and the ZZ could fly without transforming.

Early Gundam series actually diferentiated between atmospheric and space flight.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Early Gundam series actually diferentiated between atmospheric and space flight.

So do some of the later ones.

IBO's got suits zipping around once they break orbit, but the fights on Earth and Mars have everyone's souls bound by gravity. It gives them different tempos, making it easier to remember individual fights.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

Please don't be just another V/X but with a different storyline...

What exactly does this mean? Don't have the gameplay of V/X? Don't have the cast list of V/X? I'm always prepared to be pleasantly surprised but at this point a new story is all I look forward to in SRW. (If we're lucky, it'll have the same translators, too!)

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I just want Cross Ange to go away, but they'll probably recycle the animations anyway.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HitTheTargets posted:

SRW Lambda: The twist at the end is that there's only one dimension.

So, UX.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

What exactly does this mean? Don't have the gameplay of V/X? Don't have the cast list of V/X? I'm always prepared to be pleasantly surprised but at this point a new story is all I look forward to in SRW. (If we're lucky, it'll have the same translators, too!)
You don't feel like V and X are way more similar to each other in gameplay and writing and audio-visual compared to other adjacent SRW games? I sure do.

Also don't want another game that has to compromise with the Vita.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Tribladeofchaos posted:

I just want Cross Ange to go away, but they'll probably recycle the animations anyway.

If they can cut half the mechs from Cross Ange and make them attack-only supporters like Sala's two minions i won't complain. Being able to dump on Embryo is hard to get sick of.

I want Big O and Cross Ange int he same game, so Dorothy can dump on Embryo.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I look forward to new music.

Edit : also I wonder which platforms this will be for. PS4 is practically a given.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only thing I'm kind of tired of seeing is post-show Zeta Gundam tbh.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Was the last console game with only one dimension Z1?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

You don't feel like V and X are way more similar to each other in gameplay and writing and audio-visual compared to other adjacent SRW games? I sure do.

All the GBA ones looked and played the same. K and L looked and played the same. There were some differences, but then, X had Dogmas.

And honestly no I wouldn't say V and X had super similar writing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I really liked V while I still haven't finished X despite really liking the Wataru stages so far.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Caphi posted:

no because there's several dimensions at the start

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caphi posted:

Z1 is built around multiple dimensions being twisted together into one by the events at the beginning of the game. It's actually basically the birthplace of the modern SRW trend of "gently caress it, everyone's from different dimensions".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say I don't mind the alternate dimension thing as much when the alternate dimensions are SRW worlds instead of just "every series is from their own place."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Z had multiple dimensions in it but by the time of the story they've pretty much settled into a weird frontier/SEED amalgam. In Z2 you start having random islands fall into the game halfway through.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samurai Sanders posted:

Vita is basically dead at this point so it probably won't be as compromised, although it will probably use a lot of V and X stuff for practical reasons

ImpAtom posted:

I will say I don't mind the alternate dimension thing as much when the alternate dimensions are SRW worlds instead of just "every series is from their own place."

Agreed

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

All I want is SRW on Steam.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I didn't mind how, say, X did it. Sure, alternate dimensions, but apart from Buddy Complex every dimension had multiple series to pull from.

Anywhere, I'm ready to be disappointed when Rayearth, Sakura Wars, and Majestic Prince continue to not get into a mainline SRW game.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Sakura Wars might pop up in preparation for the new one that’s coming out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

If they can cut half the mechs from Cross Ange and make them attack-only supporters like Sala's two minions i won't complain. Being able to dump on Embryo is hard to get sick of.

I want Big O and Cross Ange int he same game, so Dorothy can dump on Embryo.
anyone who wants vivian and rosalie out of srw can go to hell

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

anyone who wants vivian and rosalie out of srw can go to hell

Vivian really should have gotten an attack where she turns into a dragon or something. it was super lame she just kept the default paramail attacks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Vivian really should have gotten an attack where she turns into a dragon or something. it was super lame she just kept the default paramail attacks.
Yeah, especially in X where they make a point out of her being a dragon. I get that only Ange gets much to do in Cross Ange but Vivian is like the tertiary protagonist for half the show and she uses her dragon form in combat, give her a new finisher.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I'm just sad we haven't gotten the Aurora yet. Maybe in SRWU or whatever comes next we can get it as the water-centric battleship instead of Yamato or Neo-Nautilus.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
For all the talk of another recycled Z3/V/X asset game, it might be likely that the announcement's an OG, which I suppose would be recycled assets of a different kind but probably more acceptable to most people.

Thinking about it, if it is an OG, it's a bit of a meh for me if they aren't just going to finish up with Alpha 3 after dragging it out for like 6 years because OG is starting to reach Marvel comics / World of Warcraft level of "Yeah this is still going on, somehow" and losing its appeal, but on the other hand, depending on whether OG and Licensed games are different teams, this could be a good opportunity to get a longer dev cycle for the next mainline even if the OG game ends up being another MD-like filler.

Guess if they're the same team then it's just a wasted year for me though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Unless they're gonna do something really different and surprising, OG of Alpha 3 is what I want the most.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I only got into SRW a couple of years ago and I don't have the full context behind everything or whatever but Alpha 3 basically has to be the focus of the next OG game right? Like, there was also an unrelated game between the OG adaptions of Alpha 1 and 2 so after Moon Dwellers they're on schedule to do the final game. I guess it helps that I played 2nds OGs long after release so the wait doesn't feel so pronounced but i'm pretty confident Alpha 3 is next on their list.

I suppose what i'm saying is the announcement will definitely be about 3rd OGs the 7th game in the OG series.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Put in Nanoha you cowards.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I only got into SRW a couple of years ago and I don't have the full context behind everything or whatever but Alpha 3 basically has to be the focus of the next OG game right? Like, there was also an unrelated game between the OG adaptions of Alpha 1 and 2 so after Moon Dwellers they're on schedule to do the final game. I guess it helps that I played 2nds OGs long after release so the wait doesn't feel so pronounced but i'm pretty confident Alpha 3 is next on their list.

I suppose what i'm saying is the announcement will definitely be about 3rd OGs the 7th game in the OG series.
If it is an OG game then yes it is definitely time. Last OG game was like J/GC which were both released around Alpha 3. W should get folded in since it pretty much screamed Alpha 3 tie-ins through the Akashic records.

That said it's a little early to be getting a major OG game, I think. Guess it depends on how much they want to recycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Didn't they blow up the Alpha 3 gate in MD?

Really, you could take the whole plot of Gaia Saviors as a message that OG is off the rails. Unfortunately, if it's going to be more of MD, being off the rails isn't a good thing.

• Locked thread