Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Trump's talking right now.

Holy hell one of my least favorite vocal tics of his is the complete lack of ability to admit a mistake when talking. "The midtown.... and midterm... elections"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Harik posted:

His platform is about average for dems.

I don't think that's average for Dems unless the Dems have massively improved on this issue since the last cycle.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
You are still an idiot and Ohio has very state only reasons they voted for the gently caress stick

(Regards to mcmagic)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

go off path drunk and take a nap in someone's rose garden?

get chased by a pack of wild dogs?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

ninjahedgehog posted:

Holy hell one of my least favorite vocal tics of his is the complete lack of ability to admit a mistake when talking. "The midtown.... and midterm... elections"

I wonder if he doesn't really believe his own BS because this is NOT an impassioned speech, at all.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Framboise posted:

Help me understand something, as someone who is largely clueless about politics.

Just how much impact does the vast red majority in the Senate actually have? Legislation needs to pass through the House before it goes to the Senate, correct? So with a pronounced democrat majority in the House, they can obstruct legislation in Congress just as badly as republicans did during Obama's terms, correct?

How much does that majority matter if legislation is much less likely to even make it to them to begin with?

The machine you're using to post, it can also

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
In case anyone is wondering about the 1904 marathon and the monster running them, take a look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4AhABManTw

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Ohio might be redlocked unless something major happens now, mainly if tarriffs or healthcare a toons start destroying the active parts of the economy. Least sherrod won :unsmith:

The fact is Ohio's cities aren't large enough to offset the rural areas and Kasich seems popular enough still. Additionally, I recall hearing that the Democratic party in Ohio is a mess. So I'd expect Ohio to be red for the next few elections. At least it showed that it's willing to do split ballot, so its not a total write-off. The fact of which is kind of annoying in its own way.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

AlBlaybleCharacter posted:

I didn't buy this one but I am gonna run with it so I bought the name.

But I would prefer one in which it was at least wearing a flannel shirt and the title was something like TOOL MAN BAD

Hey I know you didn't buy it and I wasn't trying to imply you did, my apologies!!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1060214969873170432

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
For LK.

Posting for a probation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ninjahedgehog posted:

Sniiiiiiiiiiiiiifffffff

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Squalid posted:

It's a little hard to explain, but basically gerrymandering makes state representation sticky, so even as vote totals change for a party, their representation doesn't change much. However at a certain break the gerrymander fails, and then representation changes rapidly with only relatively small additional shifts in the margin.

the stickyness is called "responsiveness," with more gerrymandered states being less responsive.

In North Carolina Democrats won three and 1 race is almost tied and still undecided. Democrats made it to right below the point where the gerrymander would break, but couldn't quite push to the point where races start rapidly flipping. I don't have a similar map for South Carolina but I suspect the story is the same. Democrats pushed right up to point where the weakest gerrymanders started failing, but didn't quite push past the margin at which they would fail en masse.

That's fair but it seems like a bit of a semantic argument over what we mean by "break." Like, if the national gerrymander were a dam, there would be a lot of extra water flowing through it right now.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Comedy 2020 option: Kasich runs 3rd party/indie and takes Ohio from Trump leading to a D victort

I'm sure Ohio chuds hate Kasich tho

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Quorum posted:

That's one huge win from last night-- no more tax cuts for the rich, no more gutting social services legislatively.

...we hope

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think that's average for Dems unless the Dems have massively improved on this issue since the last cycle.
"sure, I guess we could do something like m4a but" was a pretty common mouth-noise outside people actually pushing for it. Beto is slightly on the better side because he left out the "but", but he's still not really pushing it. Hence, average. If I cared enough we could try to sample everyone's position on it and find the distribution, but there's a whole lot of people who won't oppose it but are not willing to run on it.

It doesn't make him bad - I'd be thrilled to have someone who won't actively poo poo up the effort - but he's not super progressive.

E: His early campaign was a lot more progressive than his general position, which is tripping people up:
https://twitter.com/betoorourke/status/957834180347547649

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Koalas Massacre posted:

Hey I know you didn't buy it and I wasn't trying to imply you did, my apologies!!

Oh I knew you weren't saying that, no worries.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SpaceCadetBob posted:

For LK.

Posting for a probation.

Your long probe is queued, I wish you and your wife luck in her pregnancy.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

This is the least Trump-ish speech he has ever given and I am baffled.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

You are still an idiot and Ohio has very state only reasons they voted for the gently caress stick

(Regards to mcmagic)

You can call me whatever you want. It's still clear that in states like Ohio and Florida. Trumpism is not going to be affected by anything he does or massive democratic voter energy. Hand waving that seems like a bad idea.

The Mad Cobber
May 19, 2018

fishing with the fam posted:

So is the NPC av the new corn av?
Not in a million years.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Phoix posted:

This is the day he became president

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I fully think that if kasich had run against brown kasich would have won. One thing the city suburbs love is the centrist conservative image and they are the ones that tend to flip more then the blood red rural areas.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmfao

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1060217361544953858

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
So we can defund ICE with budget control now, right?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Phoix posted:

He's going off of notes now. Give it a few minutes until he takes questions and then the real Trump will come out.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Mcmagic do you live in ohio? Do you know the state Dynamics? The state economy? No? Shut it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

I wonder if he doesn't really believe his own BS because this is NOT an impassioned speech, at all.

He's probably realizing that while the GOP is in good shape because of the senate returns, there is a good chance congressional investigations turn up enough to burn the Trump Organization to the ground.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Aggro posted:

This is a hilarious pipe dream but I support it. gently caress the Senate.

I guess everyone getting 0 senators is technically equal representation in the Senate ...

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

A black lady from Texas named "Eddie" is about to bring the warm light of :eng101: SCIENCE :eng101: back to America

This lady, Eddie Bernice Johnson

Is going to do all this cool poo poo:

quote:

There will be radical changes coming, according to Eddie Bernice Johnson, a Texas Democrat who is a ranking member of the committee and likely to become the next chair. A former chief psychiatric nurse, she would be the first House Science chair with a STEM background since the 1990s, according to Washington Post reporter Sarah Kaplan.

Johnson has already laid out her priorities for the future of the committee, should she become chair. They include “defending the scientific enterprise from political and ideological attacks, and challenging misguided or harmful Administration actions.” Another priority will be to acknowledge climate change is real “and working to understand the ways we can mitigate it.” And, lastly, she called to “Restore the credibility of the Science Committee as a place where science is respected and recognized as a crucial input to good policymaking.” Democrats would have the power to investigate the EPA’s changes to its scientific advisory boards and its use of science in regulatory policy, for starters.

That agenda will be a sharp break from Smith’s priorities. Smith regularly called hearings to investigate a debunked “pause” in global warming, a myth manufacturers by skeptics, and laid the rubric for the EPA’s radical science overhaul that would have effectively stripped scientific reports from being considered in rulemaking.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Framboise posted:

Help me understand something, as someone who is largely clueless about politics.

Just how much impact does the vast red majority in the Senate actually have? Legislation needs to pass through the House before it goes to the Senate, correct? So with a pronounced democrat majority in the House, they can obstruct legislation in Congress just as badly as republicans did during Obama's terms, correct?

How much does that majority matter if legislation is much less likely to even make it to them to begin with?

Trump will just legislate through executive orders like Obama used to and the Senate is who confirms all judges. Supreme Justice Ivanka here we come

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Phoix posted:

Probably still groggy from the zoo-grade tranquilizers they pumped into him last night

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Unoriginal Name posted:

So we can defund ICE with budget control now, right?
No.

You can play the shutdown game of chicken over it, but Dems lose that every time.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

now he's saying it's much easier to pass legislation because no freedom caucus lol

i mean he's right but this is also what the far right is terrified of

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

friendly 2 da void posted:

A black lady from Texas named "Eddie" is about to bring the warm light of :eng101: SCIENCE :eng101: back to America

This lady, Eddie Bernice Johnson

Is going to do all this cool poo poo:

I am always here for black women in STEM!!

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

He's probably realizing that while the GOP is in good shape because of the senate returns, there is a good chance congressional investigations turn up enough to burn the Trump Organization to the ground.

He’s also trying to send a message to the party that they need his support in 2020 after costing them the house. Even he knows that’s a lie.

Edit: Also, couldn’t call out the Romney win by name. What a petty bitch.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 7, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

corn in the bible posted:

Trump will just legislate through executive orders like Obama used to and the Senate is who confirms all judges. Supreme Justice Ivanka here we come

Don't worry I've heard she's a stealth liberal

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
And here come the threats

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

best description of this speech

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1060218135553425408

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Oxxidation posted:

the house is an irrelevant sideshow without the senate

Oxx, buddy, I love you but this is a super dumb take

the house matters. it matters a lot.

Oxxidation posted:

the only real consolation is that this country's going to die screaming within our lifetimes just like everywhere else
now this I can get behind