Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Yup here's real Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

so what was the final popular vote breakdown?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Indefensible

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
What a loving rear end in a top hat. Go Jim Acosta.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
hahahah he is losing his poo poo. loving rear end in a top hat. holy poo poo.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Your Taint posted:

Yup here's real Trump.

He loving hates Jim Acosta and I love it.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

uh, wow

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

What's acosta doing, I'm under no circumstances watching a trump presser

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Absolutely unbelievable. This is the seat Jon Ossof lost in that incredibly depressing special election soon after Trump's victory, the one that made everybody scream doom. We just took it back.

REVERSE THE CURSE BABY

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

God bless Acosta for taking this off the rails

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

I wonder if he doesn't really believe his own BS because this is NOT an impassioned speech, at all.

He's a shyster that spent years telling people what to do and his cronies doing it regardless of how much he cared. He has his wealth to let him avoid whatever issues arose so he didn't have to care about anything. He doesn't give a poo poo about anything he says, he just wants people at his bullshit rallies to cheer and he knows what will get them to do that. The only thing ever he gives a poo poo about is his ego and daddy's acceptance/love. Daddy's dead, so he sees his supporters licking his boots as a sign of approval/love

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Spaced God posted:

basicaly pushed real questions and kepting going. trump got shook and mad.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

enraged_camel posted:

so what was the final popular vote breakdown?

We're at least 2 weeks from this knowledge, for the same reasons aa 2 years ago.

loving Cali.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

corn in the bible posted:

Just that race that went to a recount
If we end up in a position where the candidate who lost the race ends up as governor due to :decorum: I'm going to laugh until i puke.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I want to buy Jim Acosta a drink or a burger or something.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

So as a Ukgoon living in China and HK, here are my takeaways from having watched this obsessively with the rest of you:

1. This is a global thing. It wasn’t just the US watching this race, you guys had coverage in the UK, over here, Australia, wherever. US still has that privilege. China, the only equivalent power, doesn’t have elections the same way. So we all care what you do (because we want to be friends with the big kid, true). Your decisions affect us. So yeah, we care who wins.

2. Holy poo poo the forces of light did well! Nearly a 10 point swing across the board away from Trump’s party.

3. Like, you took the House. Other posters have said why this is a big deal; for my part I’ll just point out that before the vote you guys controlled precisely zero of the formal branches of government and now you control one, DESPITE aggressive gerrymandering and dirty tricks. That’s pretty huge!

4. Why didn’t you win the other seats? I’m not sure anyone has the real answers and I’d be verrrryy suspicious of anyone claiming it was just one factor. Here are some of the things that seem to have mattered:

- Whole lotta people are totally oblivious to all this. They don’t post about politics. Don’t read politico. They vote the way they gonna vote, based on who knows what (can call’em the ”Lumpenvoteriat”).

- Trump and Rs generally are like Horse Whisperers for right-leaning Lumpenvoteriat. There isn’t yet a (D) equivalent. In this election seems like you got all the educated people in town to vote for you. But you need to figure out how to get the idiots on side too because pace Mark Twain, they’re the majority in every town.

5. Related: The US is very big and diverse and its politics are clearly super local. Look at Manchin. You can probably stop ragging on him and nothing bad will happen: end of the day he’s a blue vote when it REALLY counts (as in, let’s dissolve the lower house and grant power exclusively to the President counts).

I don’t buy that a majority of your fellow citizens are so hardcore racist they vote on that to the exclusion of everything else they care about. I just can’t believe it would be that important to anyone. I absolutely believe that the Rs have figured out how to dogwhistle to people who are trending racist but aren’t quite there yet. Winning in 2020 will partly depend on prising those voters away from the Republican Party. You have a lot of ammunition: these guys care about healthcare, they’re socially liberal, they aren’t crazy religious.

Final thought: You clearly won the “give a poo poo about politics” vote this time round, handily. You also did a better job than ever before of getting the “don’t give a poo poo about politics but I’m pretty left” crowd out. Next time round the challenge will be keeping them and, this is they key thing, getting some people outside that caucus. This probably means doing divide and conquer on the Republicans. If you can split the decent/decorum Rs from the “I’m so glad we can be honest about being Fascist now” crowd, you can wrest back control.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Your Taint posted:

lol Trump stammering about tax returns and law firms

He's running.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/RonHogan/status/1060220650395234304

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1060222186814873600

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Oh hey it's my district

All hail Lloyd Doggett, representative eternal of i-35

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So my takeaways on all of this for 2020:

The Good:

the general public as a majority continues to hate Trump and reject him

The Plains States: I think the Democrats have made some great headway into traditionally GOP strongholds in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Iowa. People there have been turbofucked by the GOP and are looking for relief. I think an actual candidate that runs on workers and farmers rights populism and reforms can win there now.

The Great Blue Lakes: the Midwest (and Pennsylvania) turning blue again is a huge boon, and stymie Trump's chances at taking an electoral college win. Trump's approval rating in the northern Midwest is abysmal.

Texas isn't red; it's turning purple

O'Rourke proved there is a democratic base in Texas, and several democrat victories down ballot should give the party fuel. Texas is changing demographically, which I believe overall is good for us.

The Bad:

The Evangelical South is too strong a wall for Trump. Dixieland (with the possible exception of the Carolinas, which look vulnerable) is going to be his base. Missouri becoming more red is sad, but honestly not surprising.

The Worst of the Rustbelt:

I don't really know what to say about Indiana. Donnelly being a complete loving moron and abandoning his own party was suicide, but the state seems to trend more towards the south than the Midwest. I could see something changing there, but it's going to take a lot.

Ohio is still up for grabs; yes the elected a Republican government, but Brown won handedly. I think Ohio is some wierd mediocre centrist land, but it definitely is not red.

The Ugly:

Florida is NOT a swing state; stop campaigning like it is:

I don't know how else to put this. Due to changing demographics of old infestations, the coalition of religous nuts, snowbirds, and gun freaks has locked the state in with the rest of the Deep South, and I only see it getting worse as old racist boomer flight to it continues to happen.

I'm not saying stop campaigning in Florida or trying, but stop seeing it as a lynchpin. I do believe the re-enfranchisement will help, but I can't see how much, and Florida continues to become an increasingly chuddier state.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
It kind of sucks that the comfortable senate margin the Rs secured will provide cover for someone like Senator Collins to earn brownie points with moderates before 2020. There won’t be any need to whip her votes.

But I suppose that could go both ways and benefit certain Dems that now have nothing to lose by voting with the Rs from time to time. You know, all them blue dog Dems you still have :v:

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
The presser is pretty off the hook, even for 2018 standards.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Saxophone posted:

Missouri goon. Our state voted for medical marijuana, a tax increase for infrastructure, and for a minimum wage increase to $12 over the next 5 years.

....and then we voted blood red for all of our representatives. I don't know how you appeal to people that seem to love progressive ideals, but won't pull the lever for progressive candidates.

That said, McCaskill was anything but progressive, granted, but the results are a headscratcher.

How much influence do you think opinions on abortion and immigration influence these voting patterns?

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
This is a hyper-local result, but important for people who care about public lands: it appears that two Navajos will take seats on the 3-person San Juan County commission in Utah. San Juan County is home to the former Bears Ears National Monument, and until this election was populated entirely by RABID public lands opponents. The county's districting was found to be racially gerrymandered. Even after a court drew new districts, the county sheriff attempted to invalidate one candidate's spot on the ballot by alleging he lived in AZ. The court overturned that and the Justice department eventually had to send election monitors to make sure that native americans were not intimidated out of voting. So this is a pretty big victory for anti-gerrymandering, native rights and for public lands.

The two Navajos taking commission seats are members of the Bears Ears Inter-Tribal Coalition, which advocated for the monument. One is taking the seat of Phil Lyman, a Bundy nut who led an illegal ATV ride with Ryan Bundy through the monument. Lyman is taking a seat in the Utah house, but it has to sting a little to watch his commission seat flip to someone so diametrically opposed to everything he stands for.

https://twitter.com/sltrib/status/1060075670770999301

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sinistral posted:

Here's a Miami Herald article that argues that it was the FBI investigation coupled with the last minute accusations by his Adam Corey that ultimately doomed Gillum's campaign. It was a non issue in the primary so the campaign was unprepared when it became one of the main issues of the race.

If all this seems kinda familiar well...

:shepicide:

the FBI investigation, in and of itself, was 100% merited, when Gillum became mayor the city Council WAS hilariously corrupt and he WAS friends with one of the corruptors

but otoh when the FBI looked into Gillum they fairly rapidly concluded that he was basically fine

that should have been the takeaway but voters are bad at being informed

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
This is the long-term problem in Ohio.....the area where I live:

https://twitter.com/kkondik/status/1060006994764066821

This area was one of the biggest swings toward the GOP 2 years ago and last night proved it wasn't just a one-off.

momerath
Nov 15, 2014

Your Taint posted:

I want to buy Jim Acosta a drink or a burger or something.

goddamn that was good. nice to know president piss is an absolute bitch who is terrified of confrontation.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

he is losing his poo poo today and its beautiful.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:frogsiren: NO COLLUSION! :frogsiren:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1060222871291785217

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

We are changing it to "Operation When We Said We Wanted To Kill Browns, We Meant The Ones In The Mideast"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Here's my CD:

Goes from Austin to Houston, 150 miles.

2016:

2018:

From 18.9% to 4%.

God loving dammit we can do this, just a bit further.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Why can't they be more forceful with this idiot like this all of the time?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

MAGA is losing their goddamn minds over this

https://mobile.twitter.com/KhaledBeydoun/status/1060027114618085377

Why? She wraps herself in the flag of Palestine during her celebration...as she is from Palestine. The horror

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cochise posted:

they are to an extent. Acosta went after him hard.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Sinistral posted:

Here's a Miami Herald article that argues that it was the FBI investigation coupled with the last minute accusations by his Adam Corey that ultimately doomed Gillum's campaign. It was a non issue in the primary so the campaign was unprepared when it became one of the main issues of the race.

If all this seems kinda familiar well...

:shepicide:

We all know the real reason these people aren't voting for him and it has nothing to do with a Hamilton ticket

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he is losing his poo poo today and its beautiful.

Acosta deserves free drink from every reporter in that room. He derailed Trump and they smell blood in the water now.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Austin, commonly believed to be the most Liberal region in Texas, has 6 Congressional Districts (TX-10, TX-17, TX-21, TX-25, TX-31, and TX-35) but only 1 Democrat.

THE ARISTOCRATS!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

cochise posted:

They are every time they get to question him.

On purpose, they almost never get to question him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

TulliusCicero posted:

The Ugly:

Florida is NOT a swing state; stop campaigning like it is:

I don't know how else to put this. Due to changing demographics of old infestations, the coalition of religous nuts, snowbirds, and gun freaks has locked the state in with the rest of the Deep South, and I only see it getting worse as old racist boomer flight to it continues to happen.

I'm not saying stop campaigning in Florida or trying, but stop seeing it as a lynchpin. I do believe the re-enfranchisement will help, but I can't see how much, and Florida continues to become an increasingly chuddier state.
Give Florida one more shot in 2020, then write it off. We DID just enfranchise 1.4 million people yesterday, so it depends on how the new voters break down. If we lose again in 2020 it's an utter lost cause.