Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Monday_ posted:

I think Xbox Live just Breakdown-ed.

It did. My night that I'm able to play games and the loving thing won't let me play any games as I bought most of them. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Have you always needed to be online to play your digital purchases? It’s probably too late now since the system thinks I don’t own my games anymore and needs to go online, but could you go offline and access your games that way?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baxate posted:

Have you always needed to be online to play your digital purchases? It’s probably too late now since the system thinks I don’t own my games anymore and needs to go online, but could you go offline and access your games that way?

If you had another Xbone before, you may need to make sure your current console has been set as the home console, otherwise it essentially thinks you're playing your games at a friend's place and thus needs you signed in.

The console's supposed to let you run any games installed on the "home" console of an account without having online access.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

fishmech posted:

If you had another Xbone before, you may need to make sure your current console has been set as the home console, otherwise it essentially thinks you're playing your games at a friend's place and thus needs you signed in.

The console's supposed to let you run any games installed on the "home" console of an account without having online access.

Ah drat, you’re right. I just got an X to replace my S. Unfortunately, it looks like I can’t set this as my home console until Live comes back up

Good thing I haven’t sold my S yet

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Well Live is back up and it turns out my new Xbox was correctly set as my home Xbox and my old one was not.

This was what Xbox Support tweeted, so it apparently wasn’t just a non-home Xbox thing. And it’s a little bizarre that your downloaded games still have to phone home

https://twitter.com/xboxsupport/status/1060032018581319682?s=21

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Finster Dexter posted:

Just know that this may impact performance of streaming video, as all of the big CDNs use DNS to decide which data center to route your video stream from. If you use Google DNS, the CDN may think you are in a Mountain View, CA, which is fine for a lot of people, but not so fine for others.

Yeah, except not. Google's public DNS uses Anycast, so it tries to use servers as close to you as it can.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

PUBG is free right now if anyone wants to watch it die slowly:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/play-playerunknowns-battlegrounds-full-product-release-free-for-a-limited-time/c4ff5wjxxq2m

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Apparently these two games are free forever, but you have a limited time to claim them. There is some confusion about this though. Claimed them and hoping for the best. :v:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1060175867572183041

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I said come in! posted:

Apparently these two games are free forever, but you have a limited time to claim them. There is some confusion about this though. Claimed them and hoping for the best. :v:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1060175867572183041

Pubg has two SKUs in the store, looks like the early access one is what's free, so I'm guessing the final release will cost money.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Coming up as the full version for me, at least on the website.

I've ordered and will see if it's on the console when I get home.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I was using the Xbox app. The website appears to be getting hugged to death.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Welp:

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1060208736373956608?s=20

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol I just bought PUBG last night for 13.99 ( it came with rear end creed unity) what a fool I am haha.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

lol I just bought PUBG last night for 13.99 ( it came with rear end creed unity) what a fool I am haha.

At least you own it forever, so it will forever haunt you.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lol if you're gonna spend money just get blops

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Looks like it's only a temporary thing anyway.

Nevermind.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

DRWGK-Y4DM2-KWWY2-RCRXX-VVVDZ

1 month free Game Pass, new customers only.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is the gamepass really worth it?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

some games are fun

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

If you like playing video games it's a pretty bitching deal.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's been extremely worth it for Forza Horizon 4 alone, imo. I just spent my first real dollars on gamepass for another month even though I'm a bit sucked into RDR2 atm. I expect when I'm done with story I'll go back to Forza 4 and Destiny until RDR Online comes out at least.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

American McGay posted:

If you like playing video games it's a pretty bitching deal.

Yeah I’ll pay $10 to try Sniper Elite 4 for a month. New stuff gets added all the time. Not always AAA but FH4 is drat with it.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Depends how valuable $10/monthly is to you and if you like the games being offered. But yeah, people seem to be digging it. I like it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

owls or something posted:

Depends how valuable $10/monthly is to you and if you like the games being offered. But yeah, people seem to be digging it. I like it.

OK cool I Got a free month with my X.

Last question, do the games offered stay the same or do they rotate them around?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Last question, do the games offered stay the same or do they rotate them around?

There's a certain degree of rotation. There's like 5-6 new games on the 1st of each month and the occasional game that gets dropped (not sure if it's a set number), although apparently anything properly owned by Microsoft won't ever be removed.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Microsoft titles stay forever, everything else is subject to rotation but the stuff stays on there for months at a time it seems.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Seas of Thieves looks cool but I've heard bad things

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Over There posted:

I tried it for like ten minutes but I didn't have any friends to play with and I don't currently have a functioning mic that works with my xbox so I don't think I got a very good impression of what it has to offer. But I thought character customization was whack as hell for a game like that. The aesthetics sure are charming but I didn't get much else out of it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I bought some X for some sweet sweet RDR2 4k gaming but I've just been playing fortnite lol

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

When it came out I spent a week boating around trying to ruin other peoples fun and stealing treasure. I'd ram other boats or sneak on boats and start throwing their treasure overboard while the people sometimes watched me confused.

Actually playing the game correctly was boring as gently caress with or without friends. It's all go here and kill the same skeletons and get their worthless treasure 1000 times so you can buy a different colored sail.

Maybe it's gotten better?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I bought some X for some sweet sweet RDR2 4k gaming but I've just been playing fortnite lol

The HDR is hosed up in RDR2 at the moment, so make sure you either really mess with your Tv's settings or disable it.

Over There posted:

If you've got the bandwidth to download willy-nilly it's worth checking out. I put about 4 hours into it before I had had enough. I really don't have the time for open world multiplayer games anymore.

That's what I love about BLOPS 4 and Blackout. Games are quick, I can get some kills, unlock some stuff, feel like I made progress and log off to make dinner.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So I finally got Romancing SaGa 2 to work on my Xbox by installing it onto my PC and accepting the terms of service there. Now I can play it perfectly on my Xbox.

Still giving it a 1 star review because that is one of the most dumbshit issues I've ever encountered for a game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

So I finally got Romancing SaGa 2 to work on my Xbox by installing it onto my PC and accepting the terms of service there. Now I can play it perfectly on my Xbox.

Still giving it a 1 star review because that is one of the most dumbshit issues I've ever encountered for a game.

Im glad that got sorted but thats some dumb poo poo

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Beastie posted:

The HDR is hosed up in RDR2 at the moment, so make sure you either really mess with your Tv's settings or disable it.

If you've got the bandwidth to download willy-nilly it's worth checking out. I put about 4 hours into it before I had had enough. I really don't have the time for open world multiplayer games anymore.

That's what I love about BLOPS 4 and Blackout. Games are quick, I can get some kills, unlock some stuff, feel like I made progress and log off to make dinner.

I haven't noticed any issues with HDR :(

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Over There posted:

I haven't noticed any issues with HDR :(

It's not technically actual HDR and the slider does nothing to adjust other tones. It's hard to explain but it makes my game incredibly dim.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/31/18049196/red-dead-redemption-2-hdr-fake

Edit: The setting that I use that makes all other games look spectacular ends up making RDR a dark mess that still has blindingly white HDR.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 7, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Beastie posted:

It's not technically actual HDR and the slider does nothing to adjust other tones. It's hard to explain but it makes my game incredibly dim.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/31/18049196/red-dead-redemption-2-hdr-fake

Edit: The setting that I use that makes all other games look spectacular ends up making RDR a dark mess that still has blindingly white HDR.

So should I be changing a setting on the TV or Xbox?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The RDR settings suggest 300 for OLED but I set it at 140 and I think it looks great. 300 makes stuff look way too bright.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Over There posted:

So should I be changing a setting on the TV or Xbox?

I think it kind of depends on your TV. I turned off HDR10 on Xbox and it looked blown out. It's one of my biggest gripes about HDR that every game seemingly needs to be tweaked.

I got drunk on saturday and spent like an hour loving with settings on my tv and Xbox and ultimately walked away unhappy.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Baxate posted:

And it’s a little bizarre that your downloaded games still have to phone home

They're apparently not supposed to if you put your console into "offline mode" and play single-player, but evidently that wasn't even working yesterday.

Microsoft has not been having a good month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I think everything looks wonderful so I'm going to hold off before I ruin it