Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
To me this is as big or a bigger of a deal:

twitter guy but seems to know his poo poo posted:

Estimated increase in IPC is based on AMD internal testing for “Zen 2” across microbenchmarks, measured at 4.53 IPC for DKERN +RSA compared to prior “Zen 1” generation CPU (measured at 3.5 IPC for DKERN + RSA) using combined floating point and integer benchmarks.

So near 30% IPC improvement on combined int/fp tasks for at least some work loads which is some insane BS if it holds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That and hopefully a clock bump.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yudo posted:

. Rome's IO will be handled entirely by the 14nm IO core and connected via infinity fabric to each 7nm chiplet.
Is that confirmed? I'd have expected ccx's to use a local memory controller.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Combat Pretzel posted:

That and hopefully a clock bump.
1.25x clocks increase for 7nm is what AMD is supposedly saying so ~4.5-4.6Ghz peak base clocks which was pretty much on par with rumors for TSMC 7nm. Boost for single/dual core will probably get close enough to 5Ghz to not matter (ie. ~4.9Ghz).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is that confirmed? I'd have expected ccx's to use a local memory controller.
The slides are showing the DDR buses coming off that new huge 14nm die so it'd pretty much have to have the memory controller on it too right? Anandtech says the memory controller is on the I/O die too now.

I wasn't expecting them to do that. I just expected other stuff like PCIe, SATA, 10Gbe, etc. to get pushed off onto another die but they went whole hog here and pushed EVERYTHING but the IF and PCIe buses to that new big rear end I/O dedicated chip.

It'll add latency to memory accesses for all the dies but it might not be too bad if they did a good job implementing the memory controller + IF bus gets a big improvement in latency/bandwidth (which it might've, hard to say for sure right now). Memory performance should be more consistent now across all the dies at least which should help with NUMA weirdness some.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I wasn't expecting them to do that. I just expected other stuff like PCIe, SATA, 10Gbe, etc. to get pushed off onto another die but they went whole hog here and pushed EVERYTHING but the IF and PCIe buses to that new big rear end I/O dedicated chip.

Same. Wow, that is a strange thing. Bringing back the North bridge.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I wonder if having the memory controller on the 14nm chip will help alleviate memory access weirdness like what's on the WX Threadripper chips?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Well, yeah.

Also, that chip is so huge, maybe it'll have huge gobs of cache.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Also:

https://i.imgur.com/t1AvR8L.mp4

YOU'RE HUGE
THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE THREADS
RIP AND TEAR YOUR THREADS

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
So it's still entirely possible to do weird poo poo now, I mean those dies are tiny asf, they're sub 100mm˛. Could...AMD integrate a large enough cache on the IO die to significantly improve performance on APUs? Like could they do a large L4 at all or would that be hideously expensive?

God I want X570 to support quad channel for dual die AM4s, just because that'd make amazing APUs and AMD basically would endlessly poo poo on Intels 9900K with a 16C/32T R7 3800X Quad Channel on a mainstream platform for similar price.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The fact that that thing exists and is functional is just AMD giving intel the people's elbow from the top rope at this point. The only question is whether they can actually figure out how to make money selling these things. They have a year to rake in as much cash as possible before Intel's 10nm gives them a possible price advantage in 2020.

We're living in backwards bizarro land.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

To me this is as big or a bigger of a deal:

So near 30% IPC improvement on combined int/fp tasks for at least some work loads which is some insane BS if it holds up.

Also, lmao goddamn that's an insane increase how did I miss this. Is that with or on top of the clock increase, because then lmao Intel is going to get destroyed jfc.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Also, lmao goddamn that's an insane increase how did I miss this. Is that with or on top of the clock increase, because then lmao Intel is going to get destroyed jfc.
the big contributor to that number is that fp is now full-fat

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Been thinking of building a new computer with one of the Threadripper processors for a while now as a dedicated rendering PC. It'll be my first time building one with an AMD processor since Intel seems to have completely fallen behind based on just about everything I've read, though I still have a few questions that hopefully someone here could answer:

1) Newegg is selling the 1950x right now for $650 which is apparently on sale for the next seven days. Several other sites are showing the same, is that an actual sale which will return to $800 once it's done or have they just dropped the price to $650 permanently to compete with their 2920x?

2) I've never paid much attention to motherboard specs, usually just choosing the cheapest ASRock one that would fit all the parts. The X399 ones all seem to cost ~$300 at a minimum and This one is on sale right now, would that be fine assuming I'm only going to be running everything stock with only one graphics card?

3) With no intention to overclock it, would this cooler be sufficient or do I have to start bothering with water cooling?

4) How should I be filling the RAM slots? Threadrippers seem to have a lot of memory channels, does that mean I need to populate the slots to get the most performance out of it? I doubt I'll ever need more than 16GB for anything I do, but does that mean I should be getting 4x4 sticks instead of 8x2 for a Threadripper specifically? 8x4? Does RAM speed actually matter? Kind of in the dark on this one, and the cost of memory has increased significantly since I built my last computer several years ago.

5) Does Windows 10 matter or can I get away with continuing to use 7?

Any help would be much appreciated. Seems more appropriate for this thread than the PC builder thread since the focus of the build is going to be the Threadripper and I want to be able to make the most of it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
North bridge on the cpu package well I’ll be damned :clint:

8c chiplets going to make AM4+/TR4+ boss af

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

If newer boards are going to support PCIE4 in the future, does that mean the I/O dies will be PCIE4? Because if so that could be why AMD is confident in the change, as the IF should be running at double bandwidth between the cores and I/O package. Wonder if that's enouh to address concerns about the designs if the LF is running 1:1 with DRAM now.

digitalwatchmaker
Dec 11, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Been thinking of building a new computer with one of the Threadripper processors for a while now as a dedicated rendering PC. It'll be my first time building one with an AMD processor since Intel seems to have completely fallen behind based on just about everything I've read, though I still have a few questions that hopefully someone here could answer:

1) Newegg is selling the 1950x right now for $650 which is apparently on sale for the next seven days. Several other sites are showing the same, is that an actual sale which will return to $800 once it's done or have they just dropped the price to $650 permanently to compete with their 2920x?

2) I've never paid much attention to motherboard specs, usually just choosing the cheapest ASRock one that would fit all the parts. The X399 ones all seem to cost ~$300 at a minimum and This one is on sale right now, would that be fine assuming I'm only going to be running everything stock with only one graphics card?

3) With no intention to overclock it, would this cooler be sufficient or do I have to start bothering with water cooling?

4) How should I be filling the RAM slots? Threadrippers seem to have a lot of memory channels, does that mean I need to populate the slots to get the most performance out of it? I doubt I'll ever need more than 16GB for anything I do, but does that mean I should be getting 4x4 sticks instead of 8x2 for a Threadripper specifically? 8x4? Does RAM speed actually matter? Kind of in the dark on this one, and the cost of memory has increased significantly since I built my last computer several years ago.

Any help would be much appreciated. Seems more appropriate for this thread than the PC builder thread since the focus of the build is going to be the Threadripper and I want to be able to make the most of it.
1) dunno

2) the difference in cost isn't as big as the difference in specs, some MBs come with 10gb nics others come with 2x gb nics, some with a single nic. I personally went with a X399 taichi with dual gb.
3) its fine, I have that exact model on my 2950x

4) get as fast memory as you can because the memory speed affects infinity fabric speed, eg. 3200 CL14 but dont try to load up the entire set with 8x16gb and at the same time try to get it to run 3200Mhz,
and since TR is quad channel, unless you need ludicrous quantities of ram I would go with 4x8gb 3200 or 4x 4gb but just bear in mind that you want to get the same kinds of dimms in the future if you are going to fill all slots which is why I suggested 4x8, later to be upgraded to 8x8

5) no updates for you on Win7 without registry fuckery because MS, also win7 isn't exactly all there with security updates anyway on the otherhand I can understand your reluctance to "upgrade".

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I'm not a huge fan of 10 over 7, but when I put a ryzen system together I tried windows 7 with this for continued updates:
https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

It really feels like it's an incredibly short term solution, however, especially for things like driver support that will be nonexistant for Windows 7 soon. I ended up getting a copy of Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (long term service branch) to cut down on the windows 10 bullshit. It doesn't come with Edge, it doesn't come with Cortana, and I unpinned all the tiles from the start menu. It's also a few versions behind on windows updates because its intended for systems that need to work long term while everyone's regular 10 and 10 Pro installs are meant to betatest new updates since MS got rid of their QA department. The only issue is that LTSB is really only sold to enterprises with volume licensing agreements. I got a key on ebay for $5 since it's just my home gaming PC. My work laptop has regular 10 Pro.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
One warning about LTSB, now called LTSC is that they don’t get new hardware support til the next version.

So if your CPU comes out after the latest LTSC release, you have to wait for the next one.

I think you may be able to download drivers and install them manually if they’ll run on builds 1603/1809. Just be aware that out of the box, it’ll likely load up generic ACPI PC drivers for your chipset/CPU until then.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The fact that that thing exists and is functional is just AMD giving intel the people's elbow from the top rope at this point. The only question is whether they can actually figure out how to make money selling these things. They have a year to rake in as much cash as possible before Intel's 10nm gives them a possible price advantage in 2020.

We're living in backwards bizarro land.

Your faith in Intel's ability to get 10nm together is commendable, and in a way I hope that they do so. That said AMD likely has a two rather than one year window: the rumor is that Intel's current 10nm basically brings nothing over their current 14nm process in terms of performance.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:eek::fh:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

EmpyreanFlux posted:

.AMD integrate a large enough cache on the IO die to significantly improve performance on APUs? Like could they do a large L4 at all or would that be hideously expensive?
Could they do it? Sure. Will they? Dunno but I kinda doubt they will. Would love to be wrong about that though. It'd own the low end gaming market.

On these server CPUs the IO die is so large some are already speculationg there is a big ol hunk of cache in there

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the big contributor to that number is that fp is now full-fat

Not totally. The FPU is supposed to be 256 bit wide instead of 512bit wide. Full fat 512 bit FPU is maybe coming with Zen3.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Rome wasn't built on one die.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Get out.

Get the gently caress out of this thread.

Alternatively: new thread title.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

INTC: Is this loss?

e: I agree the central die's gotta have a good chunk of SRAM.

karoshi fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 7, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

Dumb question of the day: Is PCIe 4.0 mechanically identical to PCIe 3.0?
There's no such thing as a northbridge anymore so if todays PCIe slots are just connections straight into the CPU's controller, is it possible that the new CPUs will bring PCIe 4.0 to all existing AM4 motherboards, all the way back to X370? I assume this would also include the M.2 NVMe slots.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

clocks matter alot when it comes to rendering video, and the 9900k is is one of the best out there for pure video rendering.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

eames posted:

There's no such thing as a northbridge anymore so if todays PCIe slots are just connections straight into the CPU's controller, is it possible that the new CPUs will bring PCIe 4.0 to all existing AM4 motherboards, all the way back to X370? I assume this would also include the M.2 NVMe slots.

it's mechanically the same as far as number of connectors etc, but the electrical specs are on a whole nother level. it has super high high performance requirements about stuff like signal loss, noise, timing, etc.

also, there's stuff on the mobo between the cpu and pcie slots besides plain dumb wires. so no, x370 boards will not get a pcie upgrade from plugging in a zen 2 cpu.

pcie 4.0 on motherboards is gonna be expensive, I doubt anything except server mobos will have it even next year. maybe threadripper boards? :shrug: OTOH unless you're doing server level IO you really don't need it.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

eames posted:

It's mechanically compatible in that it uses the same slot and number of electrical connections, however it's electrically incompatible in that it's much more sensitive to interference so the traces need to be laid out much more carefully. So basically don't expect PCIe 4 to magically work on older motherboards.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EmpyreanFlux posted:

:emptyquote:

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

EmpyreanFlux posted:

:emptyquote:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

EmpyreanFlux posted:

:bisonyes:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Has to be the new thread subtitle

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 7, 2018

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
But keep Platfrom!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Yeah:
AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion Episode IV: Rome wasn't built on one die.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Just leave out the Episode IV part entirely.

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: Rome wasn't built on one die.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Hoooooly poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

EmpyreanFlux posted:

God drat son