Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

motherbox posted:

Massachusetts is the lovely faux progressive capitol of the country. Any socially liberal policy is fine and we pay lip service the working class, but the minute organized action by labor has even the imagined threat of inconveniencing our day most people go full FYGM. Why do you think the state has such a "moderate" Republican governor fetish?

Source: Have lived in Massachusetts for most of my life.

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Chinatown posted:

is fat gently caress angry this morning or what

https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status/1060223898501824513

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Anyone have a good site other than NYT that lets me dig into state ballot results along with everything else?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Anyone have a good site other than NYT that lets me dig into state ballot results along with everything else?

state secretary of state / election commission websites

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Stefan Prodan posted:

i don't even get why the needle works the way it does

statistically you should only ever be more confident as you get more data, not less

the needle should start near 50%, like if the polls show a big democrat advantage but are just simply pre election polls they shouldn't be weighted much, it should start at like 53% or something in that case

as you get more info, it should slowly go to one side or the other, probably not moving much at all for the first couple of hours

having it just wildly go back and forth as you get MORE INFORMATION makes no loving sense at all statistically, I don't think

I feel like they're too lazy to model it in a way that accounts for the different compositions of the precincts as they are reported live maybe, like oh man a big city reported IT'S ALL BLUE BABY oh no now it's the countryside and it's all rurals SWING THE NEEDLE

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Harlock posted:

BREAKING: Sen. Bill Nelson's camp says there will be a recount in race with Rick Scott

A Florida recount baby!!!

Breaking news: the results of the Florida recount are in. Rick Scott has expanded his lead to a BAJILLION votes, Bill Nelson throws himself into the sea in shame.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

This poo poo owns orange man is mad

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1060215132998062080?s=19

wonder how much stacey would have won by if Kemp had been banned from overseeing his own loving election what a lovely country

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
lmao california voted against the rent control proposition, and against the one that would attempt to reign in predatory dialysis companies

but prop 12 passed so at least the chickens will lead more comfortable lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cool priorities there californians

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
how did the climate change propositions do

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Damo posted:

lmao california voted against the rent control proposition, and against the one that would attempt to reign in predatory dialysis companies

but prop 12 passed so at least the chickens will lead more comfortable lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cool priorities there californians

Lol look up prop 11

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Clipperton posted:

lol take a guess

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Clipperton posted:

Got trounced in Arizona. Reddit response is "IT DIDN'T INCLUDE NUCLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as the excuse for voting it down, with a few honest people admitting they just didn't want to pay.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
tester winning also destroys the narrative that the only dem to vote for the rapist judge kept their seat which is also nice

Tyrgle
Apr 3, 2009
Nap Ghost

Clipperton posted:

They all failed, death is certain.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Clipperton posted:

the only one I've seen succeed is the initiative to ban offshore drilling (and indoor vaping) in florida and I'm sure that was more people being mad about their beaches than concern for climate change

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

i don't even get why the needle works the way it does

statistically you should only ever be more confident as you get more data, not less

the needle should start near 50%, like if the polls show a big democrat advantage but are just simply pre election polls they shouldn't be weighted much, it should start at like 53% or something in that case

as you get more info, it should slowly go to one side or the other, probably not moving much at all for the first couple of hours

having it just wildly go back and forth as you get MORE INFORMATION makes no loving sense at all statistically, I don't think

nah that's absurd - the whole point is to predict it ahead of time and pretending each contest has anywhere close to even odds is daft as hell and more misleading than the wildly jumping needle

its fairly obvious where the prediction went "wrong" - results tend to be associated (i.e. if one party overperforms vs. pre-election polls here its probably going to overperform over there as well) and the model correctly takes this into account

this works well when such a model has enough data to draw on, but can pretty easily be made subject to wild swings if it's trying to extrapolate from very early results where races are called early/only results from small rural counties/precincts are in - i.e. even if a state is ultimately going something like 6 D to 4 R the model is going to interpret the partial data as Democratic underperformance/a coming Republican wave if it's being told there are 3 R victories locked in and 7 races undecided

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyone doing a "this is fine" take about last night needs to take a peek at the 2020 Senate map and run the math on Dems getting to 50 seats in that race. It's going to be ugly. There are two "easy" pickups, after which Dems will need to be holding Alabama and flipping states like North Carolina and South Carolina just to reach 50.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Everyone doing a "this is fine" take about last night needs to take a peek at the 2020 Senate map and run the math on Dems getting to 50 seats in that race. It's going to be ugly.

Isn't that a good map for them?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

colorado is an easy pick up
north carolina, georgia, kansas, maine and alaska are all potential dem targets
maybe even kentucky, iowa, or tennessee again
alabama is the only reasonable republican target

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
article about 2020 senate: https://theweek.com/speedreads/806258/midterms-disaster-democrats-2020-senate-hopes

It's not great but it isn't like 2018 was great either

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

It's not. It's "good" in the sense that there are many GOP seats up for election. But they're mostly in the Midwest and South.

Pickup options, easy to hard: Colorado, Maine, Iowa, North Carolina, Arizona, Texas Kentucky, Arkansas...

Need to hold: Alabama, New Hampshire, Virginia

Need to get a +4 and with Jones DoA basically need to flip 5 seats. Tonight's vote margins wouldn't cut it.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Tyrgle posted:

They all failed, death is certain.

brb gonna spend more time with my kid before he gets smart enough to realize my whole generation are sociopathic fygm shitheads and treats me accordingly

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

colorado is an easy pick up
north carolina, georgia, kansas, maine and alaska are all potential dem targets
maybe even kentucky, iowa, or tennessee again
alabama is the only reasonable republican target

Yeah, Alabama isn't so much a reasonable target as an auto-win. Republicans will target NH, Michigan, and Virginia as well. If they flip one such state the Dems basically have 0 chance of getting to 50.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
Dems now have full control of the Maine state senate + gov, so maybe they get some boost from that in terms of voter registration/GOTV efforts

Colorado's state senate also flipped

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

can this person please loving die already

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

anotherone posted:

article about 2020 senate: https://theweek.com/speedreads/806258/midterms-disaster-democrats-2020-senate-hopes

It's not great but it isn't like 2018 was great either

trump is going to be on the ballot in 2020 and that will make a world of difference in turnout imo

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
is FL still in question or what

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ashmole posted:

FL is unquestionably garbage

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Ashmole posted:

Florida is pulling a Florida

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ashmole posted:

Technically, yes.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All things considered, I'm happy Scott Walker finally ate poo poo and I wish he had to spend the rest of his life rotting in a loving cell. God, gently caress that sack of poo poo.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah, Alabama isn't so much a reasonable target as an auto-win. Republicans will target NH, Michigan, and Virginia as well. If they flip one such state the Dems basically have 0 chance of getting to 50.

if the GOP wins a 2020 senator in Virginia or Michigan it's because they already won the presidency, I guess NH is a unique enough state that that's possible.

Win Maine + Colorado + North Carolina + Iowa, lose Doug Jones, win one more chud state can happen, there are like 20 chud states up next cycle.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

george soros irl posted:

would DC have tiered state and local government(s) too?

why not tbh, there's exactly one county in my state with a higher population than the smallest DC ward

just do state/ward/block government instead of state/county/town, apart from probably not having block highway departments the biggest change would probably be state-level zoning (which really the whole country should have)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
honestly the best part of the midterm for me is california voting to join the civilized states in having a permanent standard timezone

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Rick posted:

Yeah in recent years senate races have been super red in Maricopa (although purple trends in other areas in the county, it just seems though that for national elections they're going to vote republican) so this is actually a pretty strong performance for Sinema regardless.

I think it's gonna fall short, though. I think there's probably about 30,000 more votes out there for Sinema, but 25,000 for McSally which should be enough for her to hold on.

Y'all currently have 11 precincts remaining and she needs 16,000 votes. 4 of those precincts are in Puma county somewhere. It's possible but lol :fork:

The map in 2020 is gonna be tough but not as godawful as this one. Still, I can only see 4 seats max that could turn for the Dems as of right now, and you also have to factor in that Doug Jones is absolutely going to lose his seat, so that would be a potential net gain of 3 seats. Unless we can get Beto to run again in Texas. And loving actually get latinos to turn out.

that's one thing i've learned in this election: the latino vote is absolutely godawful at turnout -- I'm assuming bc of voter suppression but holy christ

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1060240496633749504

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
It's pretty funny how hard 2016 hosed the Dems lol.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
obama really should've declared the martial law everyone said he was gonna declare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

alnilam posted:

Yeah there are good and bad things about Bad Dems losing in the senate. In the short term it might be worse than it is better but in the longer term hopefully it will send a message to bad dems which is good

uh excuse me sir, Mr President, PhD, sir but uhh when the gently caress have the Dems ever learned a goddamn lesson