Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mahoning posted:

Dems won Iowa last night pretty comfortably if you add up the House votes. By around 49,000 votes over Republicans, and by around 10,000 votes if you give all the other parties' votes to the GOP.

Iowa just had a couple of very good house candidates who had lame incumbent opponents. Our natural state is turning redder, as shown by the election of Lame Republican Grandma Kim Reynolds over Boring Rich Guy Fred Hubbell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How would a Bernie/Beto 2020 ticket sound? Could it work? (Especially if Bernie dies in office and Beto takes over?)

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
"Do you regret putting out the ad that was deemed too racist by Fox news?"

"I'm surprised you asked me that, but no"

y i k e s

C411
Jun 22, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Republicans increasing their advantage in the senate does make it harder for anyone to care about those "Senator Romney" stories that Maggie Haberman wanted to write. He's going to be a meaningless number in the majority without a lot of opportunities to pull a Jeff Flake on anything.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know no one here wants Biden to be the nominee for many very good reasons. But how would you feel about a Biden/Beto ticket?
About the same as I'd feel about a Biden ticket and virtually any other VP, since the VP is almost purely ceremonial.

Has this video been shared here yet? I feel like this video should be shared here. It's a very good primer on why the sort of politics pursued by the Democrats (while they're being led by Pelosi, at least) is not going to work. An distressing large number of elected Democrats are totally unprepared psychologically for this fight, and sadly they're the only ones in any position to fight it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAbab8aP4_A

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

That movie has two former Governors in it.

as does predator.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Grouchio posted:

How would a Bernie/Beto 2020 ticket sound? Could it work?

Bernie would need a minority veep. Gillum or Abrams would be better picks.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know no one here wants Biden to be the nominee for many very good reasons. But how would you feel about a Biden/Beto ticket?

Biden would be a really good nominee for exactly the same reasons Beto wouldn't, but I think the age of the electorate caring who the VP is died a while back

e: but the best option is probably Klobuchar

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Keep Beto in local stuff please thanks

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grouchio posted:

How would a Bernie/Beto 2020 ticket sound? Could it work? (Especially if Bernie dies in office and Beto takes over?)

i like them both but i concur that two white dudes is not ideal

can we at least get bernie-gillibrand (or my monkey's paw Bernie-Gabbard ticket)

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

quote is not edit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'm starting to suspect that at least some of the people who say "i'd love it if i'm proven wrong' would, in fact, not

Honestly I think a lot of doomsayers who'd "love to be proven wrong" aren't necessarily being insincere. I think many of them probably would love to be proven wrong. It's just that they (okay, maybe "we," I'm pretty negative more often than I should be) are catastrophizing and it's very hard to accept evidence that things aren't getting worse. For people like me who catastrophize constantly (and hate doing it), there's a strong instinct to doubt and try to poke holes in any evidence that maybe the catastrophe isn't actually a catastrophe.

Of course some people are also trolls.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

Bernie will be 79 by the time 2020 rolls around. Even if they stuck a "young" guy like Beto with him his health will be a HUUUUUUGE hurdle just like it was for McCain the second time he ran.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I can't see him even trying to turn a Senate loss into a presidential nomination, but I think he'd be an excellent VP pick. He's been awesome at supporting downticket candidates, organizing, and delivering a strong message, which are all things a good VP can do to have a big impact.

Mostly I want someone who can help us win more local elections. Please don't abandon us again Democratic campaign people

(narrator voice: they will)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How about a Sotomayor/Harris ticket

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Has this video been shared here yet? I feel like this video should be shared here. It's a very good primer on why the sort of politics pursued by the Democrats (while they're being led by Pelosi, at least) is not going to work. An distressing large number of elected Democrats are totally unprepared psychologically for this fight, and sadly they're the only ones in any position to fight it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAbab8aP4_A

Yeah, this video is excellent and provides a really great explanation of why Democrats (on the whole) act like they do, and why it can never work.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Bernie would need a minority veep. Gillum or Abrams would be better picks.

Gillibrand/Bernie or enjoy watching Trump snarling at you in 2023

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cant wait for the castro/castro ticket and its inevitable loss

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Framboise posted:

I don't think Biden or Hillary would be a good option for President when they're already divisive enough as they are.

I'm 100% cool with a Beto for pres ticket though.

Embrace the probability now that it's more likely than not with how awful the Democratic party is that the primary will prominently feature two nearly eighty year old men and Hillary. Or Warren who will easily be memed into submission with Pocahontas bullshit no matter how otherwise qualified and good she would be if elected. It will be worse than Kerry getting swift boated.

Booker and Patrick are the only two people I can think of that wont instantly have horrid baggage working against them. Maybe Sherrod Brown.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

mcmagic posted:

Democrats trying to win the presidency without Florida is going to not be easy for the foreseeable future.

Now that felons can vote there, the outcome may be quite different.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Beto showed the road of how to win in Texas and that, if nothing else, is a giant win that will help in the next decade

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'm starting to suspect that at least some of the people who say "i'd love it if i'm proven wrong' would, in fact, not

Man, I haven't been in this thread for over a year (it moves too fast to keep up), I'm not currently part of whatever factions and baggage it has.

I'll try not to be as much of a drag as I was in that first post, though.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Lol I didn't realize that Ryan Bundy (the dumb hick of hosed up face fame) ran for NV governor as an independent...he got a whopping 1.4% of the vote!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Life is coming at Trump fast today isn't it?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would prefer for someone younger than Bernie to be on the ticket.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Bicyclops posted:

That's what's so frustrating is how close some of them were! Like, we almost, almost kicked out Ted loving Cruz!

Ah well. The House is going to make both of these years utter hell for Trump.

The Beto loss won’t keep me up at night because 4 points in an electorate as large as Texas is a mile wide. But Nelson losing by half a point is MADDENING. Having 47 or even 48 senators if Sinema pulls it out feels MUCH better going into 2020.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

gently caress you, Dean Heller, you utter turd of a person, you absolute waste of skin, you complete boil on the rear end of this state. Go away now forever.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sydin posted:

It was an good night for Dems beyond the House. They flipped a healthy number of state legislatures and governorships, which is huge because it means they can start to un-gerrymander in more states. Pennsylvania is a model of what that will look like: after the courts threw out the awful Republican map and forced them to draw a more neutral one, Dems swept into power there this election. The state pickups are huge and arguably in many ways more important than the House gains, particularly in the Midwest. Florida also just laid the groundwork for 40% of their African American population to be re-enfranchised as well. Basically the states that gave Trump his narrow path to victory in 2016 are bucking the trend (except Ohio I guess, and gently caress them).

Be happy, things went well.

Word, goonfriend. This is my takeaway as well; House went about as well as expected, Senate a little worse than hoped but not fatally so, things at the state level looking really good in a lot of places. Yes we could really have done with Gillum (Maybe recounts change things but I'm not holding my breath), and Beto would have been incredible, but we still had a good night that sets us up for a good 2020.

I know we all want a titanic blowout but that's just not how things work most of the time, not when we have so much in the way of voter disenfranchisement and gerrymandering to overcome. That's no reason to act like yesterday was some kind of huge letdown or catastrophe for the Dems though; we did everything we needed to and a good deal more besides.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Apraxin posted:

Their super-majority in the senate was broken though, which means Wolf can at least veto any particularly egregious poo poo they come up with.

This reminds me: Trifectas should be more broadly defined to include states where a party has a veto-proof legislative majority but not the governor. Massachussets is still an entirely Democratic-controlled state, even with Baker. North Carolina, before tonight, was an effective Republican trifecta because Republicans had a supermajority in both chambers, which they lost last night.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

evilweasel posted:

this is neat

https://twitter.com/EsotericCD/status/1060223912720715776

(texas state courts are an abomination)

It cannot be overstated how important Beto's close loss was last night. If anything, it creates a Democratic bench in Texas, which is going to be huge going forward as demographics continue to change.

This is a huge reason why Ohio was such a shitshow last night. Years of gerrymandering and lovely leadership (as well as no particularly inspiring candidates on the ballot beyond Obama the last decade+) have left the Democratic bench of up-and-comers virtually non-existent. The Ohio Democratic party is essentially Sherrod Brown (65), Tim Ryan (45), Joyce Beatty (68), Marcy Kaptur (72), and Marcia Fudge (66). That's it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

say no to bats posted:

Embrace the probability now that it's more likely than not with how awful the Democratic party is that the primary will prominently feature two nearly eighty year old men and Hillary. Or Warren who will easily be memed into submission with Pocahontas bullshit no matter how otherwise qualified and good she would be if elected. It will be worse than Kerry getting swift boated.

Booker and Patrick are the only two people I can think of that wont instantly have horrid baggage working against them. Maybe Sherrod Brown.

1) anyone who uses the phrase 'memed into submission' is, at best, someone who shouldn't
2) gillibrand exists, so does duckworth even though she's a tier down imo, and i've been maintaining in the 2020 thread that we're still far enough out that making totally confident predictions about the 2020 presidential slate shows a lack of imagination

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

luxury handset posted:

it's still too early to call ga-gov, ga-06, or ga-07

ga-06 is very likely a pickup but both the house races are within range of a recount and abrams is still inching closer to a recount but it will get litigious

This is funny because we don't have election-day paper receipts. A recount is just re-reading the counts in the machines and the mail-in ballots, which Kemp has probably been working on destroying up to this point.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

MAGA is losing their goddamn minds over this

https://mobile.twitter.com/KhaledBeydoun/status/1060027114618085377

Why? She wraps herself in the flag of Palestine during her celebration...as she is from Palestine. The horror

I guess killing unarmed protestors in Gaza had consequences. Who knew?

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

"Do you regret putting out the ad that was deemed too racist by Fox news?"

"I'm surprised you asked me that, but no"

y i k e s

You have to admire him for his honesty, he has said in the past that he never regrets anything he does.

Please don't admire him.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

evilweasel posted:

This reminds me: Trifectas should be more broadly defined to include states where a party has a veto-proof legislative majority but not the governor. Massachussets is still an entirely Democratic-controlled state, even with Baker. North Carolina, before tonight, was an effective Republican trifecta because Republicans had a supermajority in both chambers, which they lost last night.

eh, then you get into the deciding vote being the worst state legislator/total idiot over and over again. it's bad enough with a lieberman, "the worst state rep" is usually indescribably useless

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Toobly posted:

You have to admire him for his honesty, he has said in the past that he never regrets anything he does.

Please don't admire him.

corection: you do not, in any way, have to "hand it to him,"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ditocoaf posted:

Man, I haven't been in this thread for over a year (it moves too fast to keep up), I'm not currently part of whatever factions and baggage it has.

I'll try not to be as much of a drag as I was in that first post, though.

no worries then, i just tend to not get on well with doomsaying even when Team Good didn't just make a historic win and isn't vocally making plans to pass (doomed :v: ) good legislation in the house and make Donald Trump very sad and angry with committee investigations

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

friendly 2 da void posted:

I know everything is instant in the Twitter age but the election ended less than 12 hours ago.

It's going to take real time for people to investigate what actually happened and then write stories. Give the poor journalists at least a day

Oh I just meant in general. Good articles about the poo poo we knew happened in Georgia or the racial Gerrymander in NC or thebhuge number of polling place closures. I can look them up if need be, but I'm sure good have better ones in their back pocket.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

corn in the bible posted:

I don't know about president Beto actually getting approved by anyone outside of Texas... but goddamn VP Beto would be incredible
Beto is the only white male politician I have ever seen black women get genuinely excited about on the internet. Sure, black women reliably vote for Democratic candidates no matter who the party runs, but usually that involves less enthusiasm and more pragmatism. Usually when some "woke" white politician steps into racial politics, he gets polite approval mixed with eyerolls, distrust, and critique of the white savior mentality (which is a completely fair assessment for most of them!). Not Beto though. He wrote a column for Essence magazine about the maternal mortality rate for black women! He got Beyonce plugging his campaign! He has worked hard to earn that trust.

And that's just one example. The point is, the guy is really loving good at getting through to communities that don't automatically trust him. If he can do it for black women as a white guy in this day and age, he can do it for the broad coalition the Democrats need in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I desperately need new Arizona news.

47 senators puts the Senate back on the table in 2020. Not a favorable chance but a real one.