Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I have two questions for the thread:

1) Trump is very much shook right now, correct?

2) How on earth did the Senate majority grow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Z. Autobahn posted:

Yeah the bigger problem is that I think support there has way less to do with policy or self-interest and pure tribal identity. The Republicans could campaign on “we will kill your dog” and the dem on “we’ll grant your wishes” and the Republican would win.

Well this hasn't been tested because Republicans run on "brutalizing minorities and giving money to the rich will make your life better" and Democrats run on "better ideas will never ever happen"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

corn in the bible posted:

the speaker of the house, everybody!

Yeah how is she going to get anything done with that approval rating.

I mean, McConnell has been crippled by his rating being even lower than hers.

TheKingofSprings posted:

1) Yes, has been since before the election.

2) This was always a possibility. The map was catastrophically bad for Democrats this year and they only ever had a slight chance of winning. They came close.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Oh dear. He should not have conceded last night, that's for sure.

It doesn't really matter. If nothing else, it gave him a chance to make a speech. There will still be a recount if it enters recount margins.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Potential BFF posted:

A 2020 ticket with Tammy Duckworth on it would be pretty cool.

I knew I was forgetting someone awesome who was not another white dude.

Beto/Tammy 2020?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

yeah the dems investigations not looking like The Select Committee On Benghazi or whatever is actually good

well yeah, despite dems being dems, they arn't dumb as poo poo like the GOP who basically fired the metaphorical shotgun everywhere in a desperate to hit anything. there is plenty to hit trump on and we will hit trump on poo poo and we don't need to fight him on his ground. we slowly break him down with investigations and others. you only do impeachment if you have a real shot and they will take it if they are 100% certian its a "kill" if they do it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pookel posted:

I knew I was forgetting someone awesome who was not another white dude.

Beto/Tammy 2020?

What exactly makes Tammy Duckworth so great policy wise

Does she support M4A or not?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not after the end of the year he doesn't. That said, I believe Nikki converted to christianity at some point, could be wrong.

okay wilbur ross better not be hindu or something

oh yeah, Haley was born raised Sikh and converted to Christianity

the confusion is forgiveable

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TheKingofSprings posted:

all the blue dogs lost because they are cowards

except joe manchin because he is a cockroach

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Show me anyone that has been speaker that isn't extremely in the negatives of favorability. It's not a glamorous job, and it consists entirely of herding cats and getting poo poo on.

Also, don't forget the role misogyny plays in pushing that number down below Ryan.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think as people become increasingly polarized, a majority are Democratic, but the chud states are becoming chuddier.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

eke out posted:

Reporter asks Pelosi about Trump's threat to investigate democrats or whatever

Pelosi laughs and says "The President also says this was a great day for republicans, so let's put it in context."

She says they have a responsibility for oversight that isn't optional, doesn't really give any indication they're backing down on any investigations. Says committees make the decisions about things like tax returns, not her

I'm glad to hear that. If I could trust that she'd say more stuff like this and less stuff like she did last night (or last year, with her "We're capitalist!" nonsense), I'd be happy to have her stay on as Speaker.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TheKingofSprings posted:

Extremely.

quote:

There is no simple answer to this other than that the fever of right-wing populism has not yet broken. Limiting damage in the Senate always involved longshots and the left used all its luck on the House and state races this year.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TheKingofSprings posted:

2018 was a very very, very very very bad map for the Democrats because Obama's coattails murdered a ton of Republicans in 2012.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is it shitposting to just express how awesome last night was. I dont have any other content besides that. But man is it nice to see a much needed dose of good news.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

TheKingofSprings posted:

Literally every major polling website put Democrats chances of taking the senate at 1 in 5. It was never even likely

How on earth did "Dems are favored to win the senate" become so cemented in people's minds :psyduck:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Duckworth says now not time for Sanders' 'Medicare for All' healthcare fix
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local...53a0bc11ed.html

quote:

I just don’t think the Sanders proposal is achievable. … I know he is (taking) a philosophical stand, but I just don’t think we are in a time right now where we should be taking these very strong stands when we have real work to try to fix it. … What can we do to shore up the exchanges, what can we do to make sure the White House makes the payments (to subsidize some plans)? I am actually interested in what Chris Murphy (Democratic senator from Connecticut) is working on, the idea of buying in to Medicare.

Q: What do you say to the argument that that is just a foot in the door to a single-payer system?

A: Maybe it is. All I know is that I have a lot of people in Illinois who have no other options and would love Medicare buy-in, and it would make a difference in their lives.

Q: Why make it 55 (the trigger age for buying into Medicare pushed by Democrats)? What’s wrong with opening it to anyone?

A: For me it is about realistically implementing something. I just don’t know that we have the capacity to go straight to everybody. … I have always had good government-provided health care, either through the military or the VA. So I understand how good it can be and I also understand and I know the frustrations of the bureaucracy and the ineffectiveness of the system. So I think have to do a very measured approach. But we need to move forward.

drat.

Edit: But that was a year ago. Maybe her position has changed now that the things she was hoping would happen didn't.

Violator fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 7, 2018

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I saw somebody earlier in the thread saying about how Pelosi was going to be ineffective in power because she wan'st going to whip her party to stay in line.

friendly 2 da void posted:

Literally every major polling website put Democrats chances of taking the senate at 1 in 5. It was never even likely

How on earth did "Dems are favored to win the senate" become so cemented in people's minds :psyduck:

Media horse-racing. "Dems unlikely to take the senate" is not a great headline, "close races nail-biter for control of the world" is better.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

She does not. She's one of the ones who has a mealy-mouthed "M4A-adjacent" position, but it's very pointedly not a pro-M4A one. Indeed, as of last year, she felt that it was "not the time" for Bernie's M4A bill.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I hate this loving guy so much.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's going to be mostly old people right?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Just in case it was lost in the shuffle, I want everyone to remember how dumb this was, and to point and laugh at it.

I feel like Operation Faithful Patriot counts in spirit.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

if AZ early voting trends Dem like most other states, 1m early votes is enough for a D pickup. depends on the demographics though

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

buglord posted:

Is it shitposting to just express how awesome last night was. I dont have any other content besides that. But man is it nice to see a much needed dose of good news.

Only if you are smearing your good news feelings in the Florida goon's faces. They don't seem to share your opinion of the night.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Republicans' Senate majority growing was the expected, most likely outcome. If you paid attention to anything going into the election, it shouldn't be the least bit surprising.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Majorian posted:

She does not. She's one of the ones who has a mealy-mouthed "M4A-adjacent" position, but it's very pointedly not a pro-M4A one.

OK yeah then folks need to stop talking about her as if she's good because she's not

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

I saw somebody earlier in the thread saying about how Pelosi was going to be ineffective in power because she wan'st going to whip her party to stay in line.

i missed it, and you know i missed it, because i would have been probated for posting twenty :laffo:s in a row and no other content

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Violator posted:

Duckworth says now not time for Sanders' 'Medicare for All' healthcare fix
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local...53a0bc11ed.html

drat.

thats year old, i think she can switch.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

CNN now projects Tester re-elected in MT. That's something!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

all the blue dogs lost because they are cowards

except joe manchin because he is a cockroach
Bill Nelson lost because he is the least interesting man in the world.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

Pretty sure Trump has Hindu Americans in his cabinet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5-fM2xSiIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbjS1JRx9wE

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 7, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Can I just say that little struggle to take the mic from Acosta was loving hilarious

really sad and very telling of the current state of journalism in the US, but also hilarious. Should've just chucked it at Trump and ran.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

buglord posted:

I've been smiling all day. I'd forgotten what it was like to feel this good about things. Definitely glad I didn't watch coverage live, though. The one time I checked the thread it was a pit of anxiety and hoo boy do I not need that in my brain.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats year old, i think she can switch.

She can, and I hope she does. But I can't support her until she does so loudly and proudly.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gee, I wonder what quality she lacks that the other four all share?

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

buglord posted:

I don't wanna be a dick but let's keep ourselves in the real world. Winning the house is very good. Losing seats in the Senate is very bad. We're looking at a difficult Senate map in 2020 and Republicans getting judges passed through the Senate is the most destructive thing they've done and will continue to do.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Is there a Jon Ralston, but for Arizona instead of Nevada?

I'd like to hear what type of early vote is still yet to be counted in Arizona. There is a HUGE practical different between a 54-46 Senate and a 53-47 Senate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i had successfully forgotten that motherfucker and now i know he exists again, thanks handset

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

2018 was a very very, very very very bad map for the Democrats because Obama's coattails murdered a ton of Republicans in 2012.

Also 2012 was a year when Republican voters still at least pretended to care about women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pander posted:

2020 Waters/Beto

Look I'd love to see the ultimate administration of Shred too, but I'm pretty sure Jeff Waters is Canadian.

morcant posted:

This was it! Thank you very much, it was driving me nuts

I also was certainly not appreciative of having to actually go to Twitter
I'm having the same issue with Twitter but I came around to see it as a feature and not a bug.