Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Instant Sunrise posted:

Also 2012 was a year when Republican voters still at least pretended to care about women.

I mean, they had binders full of 'em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Majorian posted:

She can, and I hope she does. But I can't support her until she does so loudly and proudly.

agreed and i think she will. its a popular position and she is smart women.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What exactly makes Tammy Duckworth so great policy wise

Does she support M4A or not?
I don't know all her policy positions. I do know that representation matters. I trust a disabled candidate not to gently caress over disabled people (as the Republicans keep trying to do with health care, and recently did with the ADA). I trust a female candidate to understand which issues matter to women. I trust someone who gave birth while serving in the Senate to have reasonable opinions on family leave policies.

She also hid her phone in her prosthetic to sneak it into Chris Murphy's gun control sit-in so they could livestream from the floor, which is hilarious.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

friendly 2 da void posted:

Literally every major polling website put Democrats chances of taking the senate at 1 in 5. It was never even likely

How on earth did "Dems are favored to win the senate" become so cemented in people's minds :psyduck:

Despite the whining about nothing matterers, the Trump thread actually leaned really optimistic. Loads of people were predicting crazy high numbers of D pick-ups in the House too and that was never realistic either.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
What if Beto stayed in Texas and organized for Medicare For All or other issues that could benefit Texas instead of trying to focus on electoral politics? Just a thought.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

pookel posted:

I don't know all her policy positions. I do know that representation matters. I trust a disabled candidate not to gently caress over disabled people (as the Republicans keep trying to do with health care, and recently did with the ADA). I trust a female candidate to understand which issues matter to women. I trust someone who gave birth while serving in the Senate to have reasonable opinions on family leave policies.

She also hid her phone in her prosthetic to sneak it into Chris Murphy's gun control sit-in so they could livestream from the floor, which is hilarious.

Well, I mean, have you seen Texas's Governor?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

theCalamity posted:

What if Beto stayed in Texas and organized for Medicare For All or other issues that could benefit Texas instead of trying to focus on electoral politics? Just a thought.

there are a number of things Beto could do that would be awesome, i just don't want him to disappear

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

pookel posted:

If you trust disabled people not to gently caress over disabled people, let me introduce you to Greg Abbott.....

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/iamdezra/status/1060165557218091015

Nice

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

Also 2012 was a year when Republican voters still at least pretended to care about women.

If it's a legitimate concern for women, the GOP has a way off shutting that whole thing down.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

These are the things that keep me afloat.

(and also fuel my rage at the ongoing administration)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

theCalamity posted:

That'd be cool. Alternatively he could just keep that machine going, keep doing advocacy stuff, and then run against Cornyn again in 2020. He'd lose but it might do some good locally nonetheless and everyone knows who he is now which is literally never the case with these dumbass Sen candidates

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pookel posted:

Duckworth is a warmonger and was one of the senators who tried to interfere with the Koreas' peace process earlier this year.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tammy Duckworth is not a great choice by any means. Realistically the only scenario I can imagine is Gillibrand paired off with someone like O'Rourke/Gillum, and even then only has a chance if she leans ALL the way to the left and not wuss out. Kamala Harris is a loving cop. Bernie/Maxine are just too old at this juncture.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is interesting, and potentially cause for hope in the future:

https://twitter.com/KSoltisAnderson/status/1060242762841366529

https://twitter.com/KSoltisAnderson/status/1060245185949589513

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

theCalamity posted:

In reality, this is probably what he "should" do. The rest of the states just need similar figures to do the same for them as well. Until then we will keep trying to push him national.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
It was very unlikely that Democrats were going to take the Senate. It was not unlikely that Democrats would keep the same number of seats ( or lose 1). The losses in the Senate are disturbing and people shouldn't be waving them away with bullshit "we weren't going to win them anyway!"

Giggy fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 7, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

pookel posted:

I don't know all her policy positions. I do know that representation matters. I trust a disabled candidate not to gently caress over disabled people

You mean by opposing healthcare as a human right?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

OK yeah then folks need to stop talking about her as if she's good because she's not

To say nothing about her terrible hawkishness and awful conception of tax policy, her entry into politics was one that was assisted by the Democratic party of Illinois' need for someone to cut off more left-wing challengers. It's really not all that great that she's been built up as a 'progressive' of any sort.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VH4Ever posted:

If you trust disabled people not to gently caress over disabled people, let me introduce you to Greg Abbott.....

Or Donald Trump, for that matter.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

even worse, her asian half is not han chinese

Office Pig posted:

To say nothing about her terrible hawkishness and awful conception of tax policy, her entry into politics was one that was assisted by the Democratic party of Illinois' need for someone to cut off more left-wing challengers. It's really not all that great that she's been built up as a 'progressive' of any sort.

i'm always a bit dubious of these theories, but i guess if anywhere's going to do that successfully it's illinois. Got an article about that?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Majorian posted:

She can, and I hope she does. But I can't support her until she does so loudly and proudly.

M4A is not happening any time soon no matter who we elect, and I'd rather put my weight behind someone who I feel actually will win, agrees with me on drat near everything else, and will be a bulldog in the fight against Trump.

There is no perfect candidate, and I think her huge upsides like a proven track record of opposing Trump, standing up for women and minorities, and being willing to confront the GOP head on is worth it. I also think she would not stand in the way of progress if the mood of the country shifts, and I do not think for one moment she would do something like veto a M4A bill.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is a thing, thanks to Beto

https://twitter.com/yesica/status/1060218537321660417?s=19

This could have real long term positive consequences. For those that don't know, the Texas board of education, being one of the biggest customers of textbooks, wields incredible power over what leaving materials students all across the country end up with. And whether they learn things like, the real reason the South seceded was actually slavery instead of "states rights"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Giggy posted:

It was very unlikely that Democrats were going to take the Senate. It was not unlikely that Democrats would keep the same number of seats ( or lose 1). The losses in the Senate are disturbing and people shouldn't be waving them away with bullshit "we weren't going to lose them anyway!"

Racist fiscally conservative Democrats going down in flames all over the country (despite economically progressive ballot initiatives passing in those same states) is only disturbing if we fail to learn the lesson this election is trying to teach us.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

This was literally her fighting Trump, something espoused by people here all the time as something that needs to be done. Framing this as her interfering in the peace process is crazy

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

VH4Ever posted:

OK, I'll qualify that ...

1. Not Republicans
2. Yes to Duckworth in particular, who has done stuff with ADAPT and seems to be viewed favorably by the disability activists I follow.

https://psmag.com/social-justice/inside-caps-new-disability-justice-initiative

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao honestly hosed up how the Democrats oppose the new, incredible peace with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

This is a thing, thanks to Beto

https://twitter.com/yesica/status/1060218537321660417?s=19

This could have real long term positive consequences. For those that don't know, the Texas board of education, being one of the biggest customers of textbooks, wields incredible power over what leaving materials students all across the country end up with. And whether they learn things like, the real reason the South seceded was actually slavery instead of "states rights"

It would have long term consequences but actually the board is 10R-5D and that guy is dumb

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This was literally her fighting Trump, something espoused by people here all the time as something that needs to be done. Framing this as her interfering in the peace process is crazy

quote:

When Senator Tammy Duckworth returned from a recent trip to South Korea and Japan, she brought back a sobering message: “Americans simply are not in touch with just how close we are to war on the Korean peninsula.” In a speech at Georgetown University, she laid out the U.S. military maneuvers over the past several months—including a nuclear-powered submarine heading to South Korea, the movement of three aircraft carriers to the Western Pacific, and the Army testing out “mobilization centers” for deploying troops and training soldiers to fight in tunnels like those beneath North Korea—that inform this worry. In an interview with me, she said the U.S. military seems to be operating with the attitude that a conflict “‘will probably happen, and we better be ready to go.’”

Illinois Democrat, who accepted almost 100k from the defense industry in 2016, claims that war with North Korea is impossible.

Trump might be an rear end in a top hat but him purging the liberal interventionists from the state department and blustering about removing troops from Korea is a broken clock moment.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

M4A is not happening any time soon no matter who we elect, and I'd rather put my weight behind someone who I feel actually will win, agrees with me on drat near everything else, and will be a bulldog in the fight against Trump.

There is no perfect candidate, and I think her huge upsides like a proven track record of opposing Trump, standing up for women and minorities, and being willing to confront the GOP head on is worth it. I also think she would not stand in the way of progress if the mood of the country shifts, and I do not think for one moment she would do something like veto a M4A bill.

Actually, now is the time to push for popular policies that people want so they will have a reason to come out and vote, we tried "better ideas will never ever happen" already and I have bad news for you about how that fared against Trump last time.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Bringing on nuclear holocaust to own the chuds

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

pookel posted:

OK, I'll qualify that ...

1. Not Republicans
2. Yes to Duckworth in particular, who has done stuff with ADAPT and seems to be viewed favorably by the disability activists I follow.

https://psmag.com/social-justice/inside-caps-new-disability-justice-initiative

as a disabled person from birth. she has issues in other areas, but i like her as representation and i think she would make the right choices. abbot is an selfish FYGM type so gently caress him.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm having the same issue with Twitter but I came around to see it as a feature and not a bug.

Overall I’m into it, but I use this thread for news and the cute thread for my mental health, so I need those embedded tweets so I’m not clicking on like, every drat thing

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Giggy posted:

It was very unlikely that Democrats were going to take the Senate. It was not unlikely that Democrats would keep the same number of seats ( or lose 1). The losses in the Senate are disturbing and people shouldn't be waving them away with bullshit "we weren't going to lose them anyway!"

How much of this is the collapsed expectation from the polls, though? Like given the margins that Donnelly/McCaskill/Heidkampt lost by, these seats were never even remotely in play. Which... intuitively makes more sense, honestly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1060251186136178688

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Actually, now is the time to push for popular policies that people want so they will have a reason to come out and vote, we tried "better ideas will never ever happen" already and I have bad news for you about how that fared against Trump last time.

"I'm a capitalist" --failed democratic candidate hillary clinton

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ah so everyone is just going to forget all the posts they made about Trump neglecting our ally in SK in order to claim superiority in an argument now.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This is actually kind of nonsense. A major shift in the American healthcare landscape like M4A is not something that's going to happen gradually. It's going to happen as a result of popular initiatives coinciding with major electoral gains, and ultimately it's going to require party leadership that doesn't try to actively slow down momentum. Part of the way to build that momentum in the first place is to have the people on top of your tickets loudly and visibly pushing these ideas into the mainstream.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Flaggy posted:

Scott Walker just posted this:

https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/1060183430183510016

hahahahahahahaha

Pages ago, but :lol:

https://twitter.com/bransonreese/status/1060204086564405249

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I don't see how framing it as anything other than interference with the peace process is remotely appropriate. She tried to create a roadblock to peace in Korea. There are like a billion other ways to fight Trump without trying to undermine the one arguably positive thing he is doing.