Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

eke out posted:

you can't fire the special counsel without cause and a written report as to why to congress

Can congress reject that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

Sessions' replacement will have firing power over Mueller, right? It won't stick with Rosenstein?

Yes. Rosenstein was only overseeing the probe because Sessions had recused himself. The new acting AG will not have this conflict.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Trump was smart he would have fired Mueler way back around when he fired Comey and it would have been out of the news cycle in a day without any work done on the investigation.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

mdemone posted:

Have any Democrats managed to squeak out some noises about Sessions yet?

https://twitter.com/RepJerryNadler/status/1060259307567091713?s=20

(Top dem on the house judiciary committee)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
CNN is ignorantly baffled by this development.

"Why now?"

"Why would Trump want this fight?"

"Will 5 or 6 republican senators join the democrats to protect Mueller's investigation?"

"Rudy Giuliani just told me Trump will let the Mueller investigation play out!"

"Trump has always said he's innocent, why would he want to go down this road?"

I can't believe none of these people have forgotten to breath on air and fallen over.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

eke out posted:

you can't fire the special counsel without cause and a written report as to why to congress

Is this not simply a DOJ guideline that could be rewritten at once?

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Hahahaha, John Kelly was the one who called Sessions. :roflolmao:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
There's no way they fire Mueller. Come on people. It's way too late for that.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

mdemone posted:

Yeah, Whitaker is now in charge of the special counsel probe.

Can one of the resident wonks break down what this will likely mean for the Mueller probe going forward?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GEORGIA TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Aaaaarrrrgggggg

I managed to take a break election night and my anxiety weathered okay this morning but gently caress this is not what I needed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

he will make one up like with comey.

also coward trump made kelly do it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

squirrelzipper posted:

Which honestly seems like a huge loving loophole given the stakes. Oh yeah, our country? Nah it fell apart because of a pedantic loophole.

Wait that’s essentially the nature of law. Man...

It's actually not clear to me the vacancies reform act was intended to exclude an official being fired, it's just written in such a way that it doesn't clearly apply.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Look on the bright side, after they LOCK HER UP she won't be able to act on any funny ideas about running for president again in 2020!

If anyone would pull a Traficant and run from jail it's Clinton.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

enraged_camel posted:

what about "asked to resign"

i mean, in the private sector, if you are asked to resign, that basically means "because we're firing you if you don't"

True, and same here, but we need to look at the legality of it, which is that, legally, sessions resigned.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Your Taint posted:

ahahaha Kelly had to call Sessions because Trump is too chickenshit.

Of course.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Can't the new House reinstate Mueller if he's fired in January? What are the rules here?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Trump is very stupid though, don't forget.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VH4Ever posted:

Can one of the resident wonks break down what this will likely mean for the Mueller probe going forward?

It is likely he will not explicitly fire Mueller. He'll just deny requests to expand his scope and decide that he has a budget of fifty cents per day. A lot depends on how much approval Mueller already sought.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mdemone posted:

Is this not simply a DOJ guideline that could be rewritten at once?

no that's not how changing regulations works

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

CNN is ignorantly baffled by this development.

"Why now?"

"Why would Trump want this fight?"

"Will 5 or 6 republican senators join the democrats to protect Mueller's investigation?"

"Rudy Giuliani just told me Trump will let the Mueller investigation play out!"

"Trump has always said he's innocent, why would he want to go down this road?"

I can't believe none of these people have forgotten to breath on air and fallen over.

Political pundits are hired specifically because they have no insight into politics.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

eke out posted:

Manufacturing a cause: 60 seconds

Typing up a report to congress: 7 minutes

Administering the Reich: 1000 years

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

eke out posted:

Imagine "because he sucks rear end okay?" on WH letterhead and a yuge DJT signature at the bottom.

j/k he forgot to sign it - all the rest is accurate tho

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

1glitch0 posted:

This seems like a real actual question. Muller was hired by republicans in a bipartisan thing. Like, republicans started this probe, it's not 100% clear they are actually unified in ending it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Even Trump wouldn't be so brazen as to do thing!

*Trump does thing*

Well, regardless,

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Word?

So Kelly fired Sessions the day after the midterms because the WH was bored? Mueller is probably out by the end of the week.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

eke out posted:

no that's not how changing regulations works

Well, it depends on whether it's a formal regulation or an informal internal regulation. Formal regulation has to go through the rulemaking process. Informal, I think, would be more abbreviated and go through whatever internal process DOJ has.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

Aaaaarrrrgggggg

I managed to take a break election night and my anxiety weathered okay this morning but gently caress this is not what I needed.

Breathe easier knowing that a racist goblin who's sole purpose in life was to lock as many minorities up is no longer in a position of power. And did not accomplish nearly as much in that position as we feared he might.

Good to see both Sessionses assholes out this week.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

To what other end then? I can only think that maybe Trump was SUPER pissed about the election/presser and finally exploded at Sessions.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I want to live in the timelien where Sucession resigning means all the poo poo he done is reverted back.

Also he's put into a weed brazen bull.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This seems like a real actual question. Muller was hired by republicans in a bipartisan thing. Like, republicans started this probe, it's not 100% clear they are actually unified in ending it.

If they face a lot of political pressure and they're up for reelection anytime soon, sure. But I wouldn't count on it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Honestly if someone convinced trump that keeping mueller on to finish the investigation was a good idea, that person is a hero

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

HappyHippo posted:

Sure would have been nice to have taken the Senate.... Or at least closed the margin in case one or two Republicans found their spines

That dog won’t hunt OP

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Radish posted:

Political pundits are hired specifically because they have no insight into politics.

I know, but I need to scream.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yes, yes they are unified in ending it. Yes. The answer is yes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1060264066663489536

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

1glitch0 posted:

Word?

So Kelly fired Sessions the day after the midterms because the WH was bored? Mueller is probably out by the end of the week.

Most likely they planned this ahead of time and were hoping for a closer race or an outcome where the R maintained control.

The D +9.5 kinda throwing a wrench into that narrative.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

This assumes "they" act logically.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It's more that firing Mueller when the Democratic majority House will just come in and start investigating in his place instantly is so utterly pointless. Especially since they can just literally tell Mueller to tell them everything and give them all his poo poo, and then even use him as a consultant for the investigation they'll be doing in the place of his original investigation.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Paracaidas posted:

Also, importantly, the legal and procedural ones.

*makes wank off motion*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Isnt it mostly done tho