Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I can't believe Beto won loving Tarrant, holy loving poo poo. If we can sustain that or even keep it close, then the GOP in Texas ought to be loving scared.

Sadly it'll be six years before Ted Cruz is up for reelection so the Dems will be at a handicap again next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
I'd never really looked at a map of my district before. I'm in the red circle. Holy loving gerrymandering.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

Well, more like Good Faith Greg said that the letter she sent didn't count. But since voting thresholds are based on members present, it's more like a -.5. I imagine it'll be filled at some point, and the real votes don't come until around April.

As much as I hate Greg Abbott - you can't get mad at a snake when it bites you. Garcia (who left me without a State Senator) trying to manipulate the language saying she "intends to resign" on a certain date to ensure she got a larger state pension is very annoying.

They can call a special in January or May - Abbott won't call it for January - so it will be in May - after session. Sylvia hosed up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sab0921 posted:

As much as I hate Greg Abbott - you can't get mad at a snake when it bites you. Garcia (who left me without a State Senator) trying to manipulate the language saying she "intends to resign" on a certain date to ensure she got a larger state pension is very annoying.

They can call a special in January or May - Abbott won't call it for January - so it will be in May - after session. Sylvia hosed up.

and people wonder why Beto really shied away from current Texas Dems

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/impactnews_cta/status/1060233398399184896

Sab0921 posted:

Leticia Van De Putte also sent an "intends to resign" letter and a special was scheduled normally.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I am glad to see Stan Stanart gone because of his terribleness but if the new county clerk doesn’t do a photoshoot to get the weirdest possible grin up on harrisvotes.com it will be a net loss.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/1060220334429822977

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Sneeing Emu posted:

I'd never really looked at a map of my district before. I'm in the red circle. Holy loving gerrymandering.

Teapot Granite Dome district

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
You guys are absolutely kidding yourselves.

If O'Rourke had been running against anyone less unlikable than Ted Cruz it would have looked exactly like the Governor race. If O'Rourke runs for anything in 2020 it is going to be the same old blowout.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Twinty Zuleps posted:

If O'Rourke had been running against anyone less unlikable than Ted Cruz it would have looked exactly like the Governor race. If O'Rourke runs for anything in 2020 it is going to be the same old blowout.

I think you're vastly underestimating what a bad campaign Lupe ran - or more accurately the campaign that she decided not to run

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Love all the republican rape apologists being sore winners

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Beto for VP

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think you're vastly underestimating what a bad campaign Lupe ran - or more accurately the campaign that she decided not to run

He's also vastly underestimating how much worse Wendy did last time than Lupe, the proverbial empty chair of politics.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

Love all the republican rape apologists being sore winners

The voters of Texas made the right choice.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Less than three point loss. As I predicted, Beto lost because of the dab. Also because he apologized for saying lyin Ted when he should have called him that with every other word out of his mouth before putting on some rad shades and skateboarding away.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

He's also vastly underestimating how much worse Wendy did last time than Lupe, the proverbial empty chair of politics.

He's also a troll that we should ignore but we can't can we

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twinty Zuleps posted:

What are you talking about, Beto was not the only statewide Dem who came within single digits of winning :psyduck:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gina/Beto 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It all depends on what your baseline is. The Democrats had their best night in Texas since maybe the early 1990s? Of course Republicans are all about this performative politics that's about showing off who's "in charge" and who's dominant but it's harder to make that stick when the margin of victory was less than the Republican governor of Massachusetts. Republicans want 20 point blowouts.

The psychological insecurity resulting from that also generates the need to do this kind of "Texas is RED" stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You know, the Speaker of the House doesn't have to be a member :thunk:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Beto for Speaker would be fantastic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JohnArnoldFndtn/status/1060244756926787584

On this day, spare a thought for the billionaire former hedge fund managers, won't you (he's right about electing judges tho)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
ef:b

zoux posted:

On this day, spare a thought for the billionaire former hedge fund managers, won't you (he's right about electing judges tho)
https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1060252956820422656

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zoux posted:

You know, the Speaker of the House doesn't have to be a member :thunk:

I finally saw a political idea from Mark Cuban that I liked on this topic. Make Obama speaker.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/keribla/status/1060251611300278273

Lol sore loser Judge accidentally does the right thing to own the libs

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

It all depends on what your baseline is. The Democrats had their best night in Texas since maybe the early 1990s? Of course Republicans are all about this performative politics that's about showing off who's "in charge" and who's dominant but it's harder to make that stick when the margin of victory was less than the Republican governor of Massachusetts. Republicans want 20 point blowouts.

The psychological insecurity resulting from that also generates the need to do this kind of "Texas is RED" stuff.

I think last night means something, and the baseline very well may be changing in the Democrats' favor, but it would probably be too optimistic to assume that statewide races all being in the 5% margin is going to be the new normal. The headliner race was an extremely appealing, energetic, Democrat versus a man who even most Republicans agree is the most punchable in America. It was an extraordinarily well-funded, well-run campaign and a huge moral victory for the Dems, but it's not something they're going to be able to replicate every time. They're not going to find a Beto every election cycle, and even if you do, he's not going to raise $70 million dollars every time.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 7, 2018

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/keribla/status/1060251611300278273

Lol sore loser Judge accidentally does the right thing to own the libs

Holy poo poo this owns on several levels.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

General Dog posted:

I think last night means something, and the baseline very well may be changing in the Democrats' favor, but it would probably be too optimistic to assume that statewide races all being in the 5% margin is going to be the new normal. The headliner race was an extremely appealing, energetic, Democrat versus a man who even most Republicans agree is the most punchable in America. It was an extraordinarily well-funded, well-run campaign and a huge moral victory for the Dems, but it's not something you're going to be able to replicate every time. You're not going to find a Beto every election cycle, and even if you do, he's not going to raise $70 million dollars every time.
Oh I agree with that. And Beto is kind of an insane person, but at risk of repeating his cheesy "I follow the people of Texas" stuff, I think there is a lot of truth to that statement. I believe that the operating principle of most Democratic Party voters is they want to vote for Democrats, and so they project onto candidates their own beliefs and what they think the candidates stand for -- they look for excuses to vote for them. What Beto was good at is serving as this spongy receptacle for the urban professional classes' "hopes and ambitions."

Marxalot posted:

There's a great scene in Death of Stalin after Stalin kicks the bucket, and the troika that takes power goes "alright stop the executions." Camera cuts to a gulag where a line of prisoners are getting plugged, one by one, and then a phone call comes in and they go "okay, that's all folks!" And like the fifth guy in line to get survives and has a "phew!" reaction

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Marxalot posted:

https://twitter.com/michaelsbarajas/status/1060257243604664320

He said "This is what the voters want apparently" lol

Also:
https://twitter.com/franklinbynum/status/1060247925123629056

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Even if there isn't another Beto next time, this year's campaign has a material effect beyond the seats he coattailed to victory, does it not?

Just the sheer number of people who registered and voted. Won't most of them tend to vote in the future?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Even if there isn't another Beto next time, this year's campaign has a material effect beyond the seats he coattailed to victory, does it not?

Just the sheer number of people who registered and voted. Won't most of them tend to vote in the future?

Typically.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
There were waaaaayy too many kids who thought they were registered but in reality they signed up for a voter reminder texting program. I got them all on provisional ballots so hopefully they'll be registered for the next vote!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zoux posted:

Typically.

2020 is going to be insane.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The fastest growing demographic is young voters. One of the slowest growing is white men. Change may come sooner than you think.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spacebump posted:

2020 is going to be insane.

Yeah with all the focus on bonkers turnout, I don't think it quite got to presidential cycles. It's also critical that D's take as many statehouses as possible, because 2020 is a census and that means drawing new districts.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Lote posted:

The fastest growing demographic is young voters. One of the slowest growing is white men. Change may come sooner than you think.

Young voters just become old voters tho

On an actual note, even with everything going on, Cruz still managed 35% of the Latino vote. If Republicans can manage to hang on in the 40-45% range, that's going help keep their window from closing for a while.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 7, 2018

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

General Dog posted:

Not if they’re addicted to heroin or in jail

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/michaelsbarajas/status/1060257243604664320

He said "This is what the voters want apparently" lol

quote:

"He was releasing everybody," said public defender Steven Halpert, who watched the string of surprising releases. "Apparently he was saying that's what the voters wanted."

Hopefully he channeled his cousin Jim as this all happened.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

General Dog posted:

Yeah, but old = conservative is something that only applies to the current generation of olds, it's a myth that it's just a fact. The current youngs will age into dem-voting oldsters, almost certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Young people hate Donald Trump, I think the damage that the GOP has done to itself by electing him is going to hurt them for a long long time.