Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Baldur's gate ee is dragged down by how much they want me to pay attention to their new NPCs, sticking annoying intro cutscenes for each one at the entrance of major towns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The new characters aren't nearly as obnoxious as Imoen in the sequel is though. I don't understand why the game let's you carry your save over and then force one of several possible companions to be the main plot device for half the game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inco posted:

Mystery Heroes is annoying because most of the time I get a character that I've played only long enough to realise that I don't like playing as that character, and I can't even throw myself off a cliff anymore to reroll. I don't even have an opportunity to practice with that character since I die as soon as I see the enemy team.

I still have a theory that Mystery Heroes' RNG is weighted or broken somehow. I got Zarya way too often for it to be truly random.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Cleretic posted:

I still have a theory that Mystery Heroes' RNG is weighted or broken somehow. I got Zarya way too often for it to be truly random.

All I know is that I get Winston a LOT, like sometimes even multiple times in a row, and I have no idea how to play Winston and no actual desire to learn how to play Winston.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inco posted:

All I know is that I get Winston a LOT, like sometimes even multiple times in a row, and I have no idea how to play Winston and no actual desire to learn how to play Winston.

Jump around. Mouse 1. Drop shields sometimes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cleretic posted:

In a large system with many variables, seemingly rare occurrences happen all the time.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

exquisite tea posted:

In a large system with many variables, seemingly rare occurrences happen all the time.

I don't remember this episode of The Twilight Zone

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Len posted:

Jump around. Mouse 1. Drop shields sometimes

Never attack alone, your job is to distract people while some one with dps kills them.
get the "oh yeah" voice chat and use it often.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Inco posted:

OW changed their respawn rules for Mystery Heroes. If you kill yourself without the enemy team getting credit, you respawn as the same char (minus ulti charge).

Winston can do this more easily then other characters, either intentionally or unintentionally.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I was a fairly good mid to high gold Roadhog player before I took a break from OW for a couple few seasons. When I finally came back, Hog was completely different. I don't know what they changed exactly, but I feel like snatching a Genji out of mid air isn't a guaranteed kill like it used to be.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

oh dope posted:

I was a fairly good mid to high gold Roadhog player before I took a break from OW for a couple few seasons. When I finally came back, Hog was completely different. I don't know what they changed exactly, but I feel like snatching a Genji out of mid air isn't a guaranteed kill like it used to be.

They pretty much just reduced his effectiveness all-around.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The actual change was that they increased the rate he fired but lowered his damage per shot. This was both a nerf to his overall dps by alot, but also meant that the burst of hook->meatshot->melee attack no longer does 200 damage, so it can't kill dps and you have to land a follow up shot. Which means most dps just escape and roadhog is borderline unplayable because he can no longer fill his role.

This was changed April 2017 or something and he's been unpickable ever since.

Blizzard Balance (tm)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

You can absolutely turn off the trade notifications in Anno 1404 without disabling voices. Pretty sure it’s in the gameplay settings.

I personally don’t mind the normal voices so much since they’re the only way I’ll remember to refill my Norias (god, gently caress having to tear away from what I’m doing to spend 100 gold to refill those) and I generally use the ‘your storehouses are full’ to either redistribute supplies or sell off the excess.

Ah yeah, that did the trick.
Plus reducing the volume of messages.
Thanks!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Agent355 posted:

The actual change was that they increased the rate he fired but lowered his damage per shot. This was both a nerf to his overall dps by alot, but also meant that the burst of hook->meatshot->melee attack no longer does 200 damage, so it can't kill dps and you have to land a follow up shot. Which means most dps just escape and roadhog is borderline unplayable because he can no longer fill his role.

Blizzard Balance (tm)

Getting hooked is still a death sentence if Roadhog has a single ally paying attention near him (or you fish for a good right-click hit before hooking them), and he can still reliably win 1vs1 fights with like half the game's DPS roster. Overwatch has some weird balance decisions but none of the characters are unusably bad and Roadhog isn't even a niche pick.

To contribute a thing dragging a game down: I hate the dead branch in Slay the Spire and skip it every time it comes up even though it's technically extremely powerful :argh: It mucks up your deck by adding random cards to it, and unlike every other source of random cards you don't really opt in to it because rolling dead branch means you didn't get a different relic that would be less annoying.

Count Uvula has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Nov 8, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Red Dead Redemption 2 has a wide cast of colourful characters, with not a single loving ingame reminder who any of them are.

I didn't realize that just having a glossary of characters was something I'd gotten so used to but welp, I sure as hell miss it now as I try to remember who the hell each lady character was or who this dickbag talking to me is

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
After 873 hours in Overwatch I gotta say the biggest problem is that most people just wanna have some fun and shoot dudes but OW punishes that poo poo hard in regular modes.

It's a really good and complex game but when it sucks, it sucks hard. And you'll get called cancerous trash for your efforts.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Agent355 posted:

Blizzard Balance (tm)

Yep, like here's what you do with him now. Hook someone maybe if the now super finnicky hook doesn't decide it wants to break on a passing leaf in the wind, shoot someone and watch them probably not die because assassins still have their get out of jail free escapes they'll set off before you can follow up on them which you now have to do because hahaletsnerfhisguntoo, get shot a bunch because you're a huge target, try and heal, feed enemies some more ultimate as you do, die. Woo, love what they did to the main character I ever played the game for. I remember SO MANY people trying to play the "W-well let's wait and see how it turns out, the RoF boost could really make up for it!" card for Blizzard too and then it didn't.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Like half the roster having 'oops i hosed up time to use my incredibly safe escapes to reset' is infurating too. Tracer's by far the worst but there's a lot of other people with sins of their own. :mad:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Most of the damage dealers, half of the tanks, and even some of the healers have those abilities and I just don't understand why you'd ever put them in the game. It enables so much frustrating bullshit.

Like I'd say mei is the most acceptable one because it's super obnoxious but at least she is still going to be there in a few seconds and you can just kill her if her team doesn't save her and/or you're dumb enough to get walled off from her. It's counter playable.

Then there's doom fist who gets TWO of those abilities and you can't do poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Agent355 posted:

I just don't understand why you'd ever put them in the game.

:w00t: !!!BIG PLAYS!!! :w00t:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

It's mindblowing because that poo poo's what made me give up on most MOBAs too. Stop loving adding characters that have incredibly safe resets so loving up isn't a problem. :psyboom:

If I boil it down the reason OW is becoming less and less fun is because when it launched, I didn't NEED to be a godly twitch shooter to contribute, but now there's a shitton of folk who can pretty solidly delete you and if you don't have multiple people with really good aim and twithc on your team to counter them before they can just run away, you just lose.

Kitfox88 has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Nov 8, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Wait no it's the other way around. Overwatch is now way less about twitch shooting and more about rock paper scissors teamplay.

That's what I actually like about it, you can counter players that are way better at aiming by just playing smarter. OW is gamesense - the game.

EDIT: And there's a whole loving lot to take in

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Vic posted:

That's what I actually like about it, you can counter players that are way better at aiming by just playing smarter.

Genji and Tracer having been allowed to remain as stupid as they were (And still are in Tracer's case) for so long makes me really not put much faith in this idea.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

This is actually why I enjoy Siege more than Overwatch when I tried both. Overwatch has a cartoony aesthetic but the gameplay is stuff flying all over the place being frenetic.

Siege is much more slow-paced and about positioning and communicating, and additionally the 'seriousness' of it makes all the ridiculous stuff that happens in a match much more comical. As long as you're on voice chat with your buddies it's just an entertaining time as you set yourselves up covering doorways.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hello, Im the long distance sniper who can one shot a goodly chunk of the cast, I should definitely have a low cooldown, extremely flexible mobility option that not only can get me into a variety of difficult to counter positions but if you do get near me Ill just use it to go to another vantage leaving you twisting in the wind. The only counter for me at high level is to hope your team can use me better than the opponent.

Yes, I know they patched this somewhat but the entire overwatch league season and time leading up to it ran this way. Delete all snipers from FPS games.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Genji and Tracer having been allowed to remain as stupid as they were (And still are in Tracer's case) for so long makes me really not put much faith in this idea.

Rein, Winston, Mcree and Mei were there since the beginning to counter that Tracer poo poo. She's got the lowest hp in the game.

The really frustrating thing is when you're alone to deal with her, or when the team forgets she exists once she disappears.

Countering widows? It's more likely than you think.

Vic has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Nov 8, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Barudak posted:

Delete all snipers from FPS games.

I wish people would realize that no, not every FPS needs the lovely instakill bush wookie archetype, especially not when your game is already more focused on mid-range at most fights for almost the entire rest of the cast. I remember the stupidest experience I had from early OW was at one point my mouse or keyboard I don't remember which, was acting up, so until I could replace it later that day I plugged in my PS4 controller and just picked Widow. First game like this and a chunk after I was MVP, because even with pad aim, all I had to do was charged bodyshot and then for anyone that didn't kill, you could just pop off a zero charge second shot pretty much instantly and that'd finish them off. There was a really good reason pretty much every notable Widowmaker player couldn't ever get matches after they introduced the hard "I don't want to ever be matched with this person again" block player option until they quickly pulled and reworked it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Personally, I'm still mad that the Symmetra rework that took her out of support also took away her latch-on laser. Because she was one of the most disability-accessible heroes, and on her way to being a whole new thing--a disability-accessible hero that wasn't a tank or support--and they just went 'yeah, gently caress that, have a Zarya laser that's super unfriendly for people who struggle to aim'.

I have motor control issues that make twitch aiming a total non-starter, so shooters are usually totally out of the question for me. Overwatch has a lot of heroes that are friendly to that, but they're all tanks or support. There's nobody for someone like that to play who's actually good at killing poo poo, which is something that we sometimes want to do!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Also the game still desperately needs role queues. I understand why they're reluctant to put it in but I hate every single game where people are fighting over the dps roles.

Because they designed the DPS roles to be so much more fun than either tanks or supports so a disproportionate amount of the player base wants to play them.

Okay this character has multiple dashes, and CC, and can complete delete heroes from the game on a short cooldown. This other hero holds RMB to shield other people who get to do fun things. GOOD GAME DESIGN.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

There is a role queue for like 6 months now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Agent355 posted:

Also the game still desperately needs role queues. I understand why they're reluctant to put it in but I hate every single game where people are fighting over the dps roles.

Because they designed the DPS roles to be so much more fun than either tanks or supports so a disproportionate amount of the player base wants to play them.

Okay this character has multiple dashes, and CC, and can complete delete heroes from the game on a short cooldown. This other hero holds RMB to shield other people who get to do fun things. GOOD GAME DESIGN.

When I played with friends, I was basically always Lucio. I can barely aim, but he doesn't really do good damage anyway, and I was really good at dodging around danger in the midst of a fight (a talent I learned from playing Symmetra and her latching laser, actually). Nobody else wanted to play support, so I was always Lucio.

I hate playing Lucio. He's boring as hell, because he's mostly supposed to just exist near the fight and that's all. But he was still my preferred support outside of the barely-support Symmetra, because the other supports were even worse for me.

So long story short I spent most of Overwatch playing a hero I didn't enjoy because I was the only one willing to go 'okay, fine'.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Vic posted:

There is a role queue for like 6 months now.

Being able to preform teams and join based on preference is not the same as a role queue. I don't want to have to go through the trouble of doing it every match, I want to hit the 'dps queue' button and just wait 5 minutes. The weird rear end group queue blizzard has is my least favorite solution ever.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Hold up

Cleretic posted:

I hate playing Lucio. He's boring as hell,

Lucio's my second most played character because it's one of the most fun and highest skill ceiling characters in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBEqwQZ2vd0

The most played is Zarya because gently caress your dps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHShxcH7Y30

:colbert:

Agent355 posted:

Being able to preform teams and join based on preference is not the same as a role queue. I don't want to have to go through the trouble of doing it every match, I want to hit the 'dps queue' button and just wait 5 minutes. The weird rear end group queue blizzard has is my least favorite solution ever.
You don't have to do it every match? Also what's supposed to happen when you hit the dps queue button? You get into a game where you can then pick DPS? I'm so confused.

I'm gonna tap out because this is dragging me down

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Since we're just spitballing this is probably what I'd do.

The simplest solution is you just have 3 queues with damage/tank/support, you throw together a team of 2:2:2. Technically anybody can still pick anything, you aren't forced to pick your role, but you make it reportable if somebody queues as support (for the shorter queue) and then slam picks hanzo and refuses to change. The damage guys pick the damage dealers, if they feel we need to run 3 tanks they're free to do that, but it's a quick and easy starting point with nobody arguing over who is going to be the support and who is going to be the tank.

Simple, easy. The biggest problem is the queue times would probably be longer for everybody, even the tanks/supports, because not everybody would be using that queue, and the dps players would probably have to wait even longer because everybody and their mother is going to want to queue dps.

At least in my opinion I'd happily take longer queue times to avoid the arguments and get to play whatever role I feel like playing and not whatever role my teammates are playing chicken over that I'm forced to roll my eyes and play no matter how little fun it is because somebody's got to do it.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Honestly the same problem exists in Paladins but in a different way, because nobody can actually change characters after the game starts so you can end up with a game with 3 flankers, a dps, and you playing tank because trying to heal 3 flankers is a exercise in futility. I would love to have role queues, if only so I can actually play a dps or flank every once in a while.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
PYF thing dragging Overwatch down

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Vic(ophant)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Dewgy posted:

my lovely teammates in ranked, are you all loving tin tier :sterv:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The one and only time I bothered getting a rank in competitive Overwatch I got diamond or platinum or whatever and my friends were all silver and kept wanting to do competitive instead of quickplay or random heroes/gimmick rounds and the rank difference was just enough we could still play together. They got curbstomped by the people on the other team at higher levels every single time because it apparently matched to me and not our overall skill so things degenerated to a shouting match real quick. I guess that's more of an e-sports thing than a strictly OW thing though.

The big thing Overwatch taught me though is that the biggest difference between good players and bad players is good players look up or behind themselves from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

XCOM 2, how dare you put Alien Rulers in my game after I turned that DLC setting off. I just wanted to keep that from happening until I had made the advancement to tier 2 weapons and armor is that so much to ask?