Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Fart City posted:

(Trump hangs up phone after firing Mueller)

(Opens drawer to get a tootsie roll for a job well done)

(Instead he finds a tape recorder)

Mueller: “Hello, Donald.”

(Saw theme starts playing)

"Would you like to... obstruct some.... justice?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

if it has bipartisan support then, by definition, the other party wouldn't block it. Its what bipartisan literally actually means and it has nothing to do with what the chuds actually want.

Listen. Republicans are not the only people allowed to engage in realpolitik.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

skylined! posted:

Explain why what you quoted is bad, in detail.

Bipartisan things are things the GOP and Democrats would both pass. The GOP doesn't want to pass a single thing that it is good. They have no good ideas. We have nothing to learn from them. At no point is compromise with them possible without throwing minorities/women/the poor under the bus to do so. Compromise with the GOP is unacceptable "Wanting results" is code for making compromise. "Wanting peace" in this context, means wanting to get back to where the Democratic base felt comfortable in their political complacency.

The founding fathers were all bastards.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Jeff Flake OUT.
Mitt IN.

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/1060227592069042176

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Kingfish posted:

if it has bipartisan support then, by definition, the other party wouldn't block it. Its what bipartisan literally actually means and it has nothing to do with what the chuds actually want.

wrong. for example, increased taxes on the wealthy has significant support among republican voters - but not republican elected officials. republican elected official policy and what republican voters want, on anything non-racist, is so dramatically different that republicans ran on literally lying about what their positions were.

the primary (legislative) goal of the democratic house in 2018-2020 is to force votes on as much stuff that is broadly popular among the public but opposed by republican elected officials, and use this to try to discourage republican voters and encourage democratic voters, and repeatedly talk about how republicans are rejecting bipartisan solutions that the american people agree with.

this is not about compromising with republicans, this is about picking battles that are as favorable for democrats as possible.

there will, separately, be a need to actually reach agreement with republicans in order to pass funding bills, and in that context "bipartisan" means that those are going to need to contain some democratic priorities. they won't get very much through that way - but neither will republicans.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

BigglesSWE posted:

Clearly the signal would be “golden shower”.

Oh man you're right.

This guy's right too.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Listen. Republicans are not the only people allowed to engage in realpolitik.

Its bad realpolitik.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you honestly believe Republicans and Trump would allow any bills to get passed that will actually do good without demanding a worse evil in exchange?

the last funding bill contained oodles of democratic spending priorities, actually, in exchange for an increase in our already bloated military budget that is a big waste of money but wasn't going to change anything of significance

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's not entirely impossible that we get some sort of infrastructure bill over the next two years (possibly part of the budget)

I would be astonished by any other meaningful bills being passed, other than status-quo budgets

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

selec posted:

I think continuing to assume there’s no understanding or reasoning behind what the White House does is just wearing blinders.

The GOP controls 2 of 3 branches of the government and it’s not by accident.

Trump's enduring legacy will be that entrenched bureaucratic institutions are extremely resistant to change (what happened to Trump's plan to reshape the entire federal government? to change federal bureaucracy?), and that he, as a chief executive, is likely the most ignorant and incompetent person to hold the office. He seems indifferent to most of his responsibilities, and, beyond a few areas in which he focuses (immigration, foreign trade, foreign policy in a very specific areas) is entirely uninterested in actually governing. The "successes" of the Republican party are a consequence of time, circumstance and place, and were helped by Trump fumblingly tapping into an upwelling of racism and xenophobia. As President there's been no evidence that he is an effective leader, is capable of executing a plan, or is even interesting in taking the advice of competent people around him.

If you think of him as an actual functioning executive he has been a dismal failure.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kobayashi posted:

“Bipartisanship” and “common ground” are anachronistic holdovers from the Obama era.

The public loving LOVES hearing their politicians talking about that kind of reaching across the aisle decorum poo poo, no matter how disconnected from reality it is. "Why can't they work together to solve our problems?" It's fantastic rhetoric.

The only problem is if you actually BELIEVE it, instead of just talking nice until Trump gives you a pretext to tell him to go gently caress off and die. Which is usually measured in minutes rather than days.

My confidence that Pelosi gets that distinction is ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ayup..

https://twitter.com/indystar/status/1060277482773864448

quote:

Braun held on to 94 percent of the votes cast for the Republican senate candidate in 2012, a presidential election when turnout is typically higher than a midterm.

In Tuesday's midterm, Donnelly only held onto 68 percent of the votes cast for him in 2012

Six years ago, Donnelly who was buoyed by having then-President Barack Obama's name on the ballot. While Obama didn't win the state that year, Donnelly still benefited by high turnout in northwest Indiana and Indianapolis.

Consider this. Preliminary turnout in Marion County was only 31 percent Tuesday, delivering Donnelly about a 51,000-vote margin. He won the county by more than 120,000 votes on his way to victory in 2012, when turnout was 56 percent.

Donnellly didn't hold large political rallies with nationally known Democrats in or near Indianapolis, perhaps worrying it would turn away moderate voters in the suburbs

Former President Barack Obama and former Vice President Joe Biden campaigned for him in northwest Indiana's Lake County, though, where turnout was noticeably higher than in Marion County at 46 percent.

Donnelly won Lake Tuesday by nearly 50,000 votes, according to preliminary numbers, compared to his margin of 75,000 votes in 2012 when turnout was 61 percent.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

I'm struggling to process this.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

evilweasel posted:

what things, precisely
"PAYGO is awesome and we're bringing it back" for a start.

I feel like I don't need to provide an exhaustive list because it's all already in your brain, you've just blocked it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Appointing Whitaker violates federal law but nothing will be done.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'm glad Katyal thinks this since there's better-than-even odds that he'll be the advocate before the supreme court when the VRA is challenged

https://twitter.com/neal_katyal/status/1060277105810964487

(could also be deepak gupta though)

brockan
Mar 9, 2014
Apparently it's looking like all those tweets about Rosenstein also resigning are coming from a source called OANN. They're claiming it's expected to come in 48 hours.

FWIW, they appear to be a right wing paid news network.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the other incredibly stupid "dems are bad!!!!!" post that unfortunately thanks to those posters being allowed out of their ghetto we're going to see is people shifting between believing that literally anything that comes out of democrats' mouths is sincere and means exactly what they said vs. its all a complete lie, believe none of it, as necessary for the argument with no rhyme or reason. these evil overlords who lie to democratic voters every chance they get, somehow also only tell the truth when talking to anyone else

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Is his dog making GBS threads itself in fear on top of that car?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
https://twitter.com/fart/status/1060273915484758016

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

:agreed: I do hope that, if the Dem leadership refuses to learn this lesson, left-Dems are prepared to seize power from them. Because that's going to be what it takes.

"Prepared to seize power from them" means "prepared to win the loving primary". So are you planning on not supporting vanity campaigns and sticking to people who have a chance at actually winning the state primary in the future? Or are you going to keep saying that purity is the REAL victory?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

brockan posted:

Apparently it's looking like all those tweets about Rosenstein also resigning are coming from a source called OANN. They're claiming it's expected to come in 48 hours.

i don't really see why he needs to resign now that he's no longer running the mueller probe. he's a loyal republican. maybe he just wants to, though

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

brockan posted:

Likely a case of the tail trying to wag the dog.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Well he's not all bad

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://twitter.com/BryLaVe/status/1060185739449823232

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

evilweasel posted:

wrong. for example, increased taxes on the wealthy has significant support among republican voters - but not republican elected officials. republican elected official policy and what republican voters want, on anything non-racist, is so dramatically different that republicans ran on literally lying about what their positions were.

the primary (legislative) goal of the democratic house in 2018-2020 is to force votes on as much stuff that is broadly popular among the public but opposed by republican elected officials, and use this to try to discourage republican voters and encourage democratic voters, and repeatedly talk about how republicans are rejecting bipartisan solutions that the american people agree with.

this is not about compromising with republicans, this is about picking battles that are as favorable for democrats as possible.

there will, separately, be a need to actually reach agreement with republicans in order to pass funding bills, and in that context "bipartisan" means that those are going to need to contain some democratic priorities. they won't get very much through that way - but neither will republicans.

Wrong. Because that isn't what bipartisan means. Parties don't pass things based on what voters want, they pass things based on what the party wants. If a supposed "bipartisan" solution fails on party lines then it isn't bipartisan. Nobody thinks the GOP will ever raise taxes on billionares. Nobody was surprised when they lowered taxes in 2017. They got no blow back from it. Its a loser, failure, waste of a strategy to try and wield this decades-old language about bipartisanship like it still carries political wieght in 2018.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

selec posted:

I think continuing to assume there’s no understanding or reasoning behind what the White House does is just wearing blinders.

The GOP controls 2 of 3 branches of the government and it’s not by accident.

Technically they control 2.5

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mitt shifts into highly concerned gear.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

fishing with the fam posted:

I'm struggling to process this.

The music lazy well-off white people sit around, and get high listening to: the next generation? :shrug:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Appointing Whitaker violates federal law but nothing will be done.

Explain for a nonlawgoon please?

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

In the spirit of "we need a break", have a video of my Angel back when she actually was feeling energetic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEkFPp9ZNDw

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

brockan posted:

OANN is pretty much Laura Loomer and Jack Probosic iirc

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

the other incredibly stupid "dems are bad!!!!!" post that unfortunately thanks to those posters being allowed out of their ghetto we're going to see is people shifting between believing that literally anything that comes out of democrats' mouths is sincere and means exactly what they said vs. its all a complete lie, believe none of it, as necessary for the argument with no rhyme or reason. these evil overlords who lie to democratic voters every chance they get, somehow also only tell the truth when talking to anyone else

So are you saying that in these quotes, Pelosi is sincere or she’s lying to us?

Or is she sincere sometimes and not others, but when you decide it’s for reasons and when people you don’t like decide it’s with no reason because you don’t like the reasons they give?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I don’t see why talking about pelosi bad is a distraction when half of every analysis peice I see about the election on every online news rag you can to look at is about how Pelosi is already loving up.

I’d bet that by this time next year we’ll be burning her in effigy along side trump.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I think it is bad realpolitik and also don't believe its actually all about realpolitik. I think Pelosi and the entire upper echelon of the DNC would love to pass some actual bipartisan "tax incentives" and "common sense" deregulations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

evilweasel posted:

Yeah when they say things inconsistent with their past actions, we don't believe those things, and when they say things consistent with their past actions, we believe them. It's not really that hard - this isn't one of those thought experiments where you're at a fork in the road with a centrist who always lies and a centrist who always tells the truth :rolleyes:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

"PAYGO is awesome and we're bringing it back" for a start.

I feel like I don't need to provide an exhaustive list because it's all already in your brain, you've just blocked it.

PAYGO will result in US infrastructure crumbling to “Mad Max would be better” levels and will kill education at all sorts of levels. Probably damage the military budgets as well if they want money for new poo poo.

Chudlandia will be feeling the heat as their highways crumble and they don’t have dick loving squat in taxes to make up for the new lack of federal funding. It’d guarantee a depressed GOP voter turnout except for the most racist and dumb of Americans.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TARDISman posted:

Explain for a nonlawgoon please?

it doesn't, that guy's wrong.

or, if it does, it won't be clear until the supreme court rules on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/elizabethforma/status/1060279466969235465?s=20