Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone know how many votes that Gillum is claiming to be down by now? Because I’m pretty sure they’re claiming it to be less than the official tally so far.

https://twitter.com/WeedMubarak/status/1060243258524164096

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Koalas Massacre posted:

Oh god semantics yeah

Y'all are in rare form today is2g

it matters for other things Rosenstein does, none of which I particularly care about nor can remember offhand

ninja edit: it also matters if the new guy buckles and recuses himself, lol

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

You guys spend so much time posting about posting and complaining that [x discussion] is occurring instead of just not engaging with posters you don't wish to argue with. It's crazy!

Why exactly were the threads combined again? The two threads had separate tones and communities and what exactly is supposed to be gained by forcing them together exactly? It's not like D&D has republican or conservative threads. So "light hearted chat about trump thread" and "angry at hilary clinton thread" are about the broadest political spectrum this forum has and both sets of posters are extremely annoyed by the other group and this thread is just going to be infinite complaining forever about that stuff. It's not like having two threads cost extra money or anything.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Koalas Massacre posted:

Oh god semantics yeah

Y'all are in rare form today is2g

it's really not semantics to distinguish between firing and reassignment, especially given the likelihood that DOJ ethics regs require a recusal

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it matters for other things Rosenstein does, none of which I particularly care about nor can remember offhand

Yeah that sounds about right

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Is this really good or really bad for Trump? I remember being told last year that Trump firing Mueller would absolutely backfire.

That was last year. We are post midterms, so the worst thing Republicans will suffer is some longer commutes because of protests. They believe that a Mueller firing will subside in the 2 years between now and 2020.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1060287413057024000?s=19

We're doomed.

And yea I know Rod isnt gone but lol if you think the new AG chud is gonna recuse.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
slither.io was dope as gently caress, this Whitaker guy seems alright

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Neo Rasa posted:

The guy he's picked is so brazenly only being picked to hurt the investigation that ideally he might actually need to recuse himself like Sessions did.
What exactly is going to force this guy to recuse himself again? Is there an independent ethics board with some actual teeth? Because if the answer is "optics" or "the Senate", then colour me skeptical no matter how brazen it is.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I am going to post this again because it the people that want the old trump thread back started using it, things would improve immediately.

Add this URL as a bookmark:

code:
javascript:(function(){ $('table.post').filter(function() { return $(this).find('.postbody > div.tweet, .postbody > img:not([src*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > a:not([href*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > .timg_container > img:not([src*="somethingawful.com"])').length === 0 }).hide() })()
Once you have the thread open, click the new bookmark and it will remove all posts that don't have external links, tweets, or images. There's probably a way to make it show posts from specific posters as well, but I am not doing all the work for you. :colbert:

With all the crazy going on today, and likely the rest of the week, it may help some of you that can't help yourselves.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lightning Knight posted:

You guys spend so much time posting about posting and complaining that [x discussion] is occurring instead of just not engaging with posters you don't wish to argue with. It's crazy!

Like this. Stop it.

If the thread becomes a Dems Bad version of the YOSPoS Bitcoin thread where people just white noise tired jokes at each other that's just boring.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

slither.io was dope as gently caress, this Whitaker guy seems alright

I'm glad a gamer-american is finally in a position of power after that one New England lady lost because of her WoW account.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TARDISman posted:

That was last year. We are post midterms, so the worst thing Republicans will suffer is some longer commutes because of protests. They believe that a Mueller firing will subside in the 2 years between now and 2020.

They're probably not wrong

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

eke out posted:

it's really not semantics to distinguish between firing and reassignment, especially given the likelihood that DOJ ethics regs require a recusal

In relation to what I was replying to it is. I was replying to a comment that mentioned him overseeing Mueller which is no longer doing aka gone

Y'all just angry and trying to start poo poo for no reason because much like goons can't scroll past derails without crying into their teddies you can't take context either

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1060287910031867904?s=19

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why exactly were the threads combined again? The two threads had separate tones and communities and what exactly is supposed to be gained by forcing them together exactly? It's not like D&D has republican or conservative threads. So "light hearted chat about trump thread" and "angry at hilary clinton thread" are about the broadest political spectrum this forum has and both sets of posters are extremely annoyed by the other group and this thread is just going to be infinite complaining forever about that stuff. It's not like having two threads cost extra money or anything.

breaking down of echo chambers is the purpose

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

pumpinglemma posted:

What exactly is going to force this guy to recuse himself again? Is there an independent ethics board with some actual teeth? Because if the answer is "optics" or "the Senate", then colour me skeptical no matter how brazen it is.

i think it's unlikely, yeah

especially since this guy's a total fuckin' hack, not a career dojjer

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Mmm yes, you've got a great handle on my strategy, Fulchrum.

Well, considering that this current screeching bout of yours was brought on by the suggestion "Maybe you should try actually winning the primary", you clearly seem to hold losing the primary as a goal for some reason.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's extremely important to some people that we know they don't like Democrats. One of those people became a mod and here we are.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

If the thread becomes a Dems Bad version of the YOSPoS Bitcoin thread where people just white noise tired jokes at each other that's just boring.

Something that would never happen in the old Trump thread.:colbert:

Unsurprising.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cr0y posted:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1060287413057024000?s=19

We're doomed.

And yea I know Rod isnt gone but lol if you think the new AG chud is gonna recuse.

recusal isn't really optional, failure to do so when there's a formal, written opinion from career ethics staff greatly increases the chances you see federal charges obstruction eventually

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Condiv posted:

breaking down of echo chambers is the purpose

cacophony chambers are not necessarily an improvement

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i think it's unlikely, yeah

especially since this guy's a total fuckin' hack, not a career dojjer

The most amazing thing about this guy is that Trump managed to find him

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

it is when your posting objective is not to share and discuss information, but to score points by winning internet fights you created

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

eke out posted:

recusal isn't really optional, failure to do so when there's a formal, written opinion from career ethics staff greatly increases the chances you see federal charges obstruction eventually

Is there a formal written opinion? I'm guessing no.

Is there likely to be?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Hellblazer187 posted:

It's extremely important to some people that we know they don't like Democrats. One of those people became a mod and here we are.

:wow:

haveblue posted:

about the only problem i see is this thread moves really really fast

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Majorian posted:

Brown and Baldwin kept their seats, while McCaskill and Donnelly didn't.

Baldwin is not that useful as her state went blue, slightly, so she didn't need to win in a red state. Brown is interesting and I want to understand what set him apart from the other red state dems - but any honest appraisal of which red state dems won vs lost and what were the key factors needs to take into account Manchin and Tester as well.

I would be interested in someone being able to explain how Brown did what he did, because he seems to be the model for a Good Red State Senator, but I don't know how he was able to do it. I don't think you can point to him and just be like "duh, leftists will win" because he's not that leftist and because you've got the obvious counterexample of Gillum (and figuring out wtf happened in Florida is another key issue).

People are going to knee-jerk that the results validate what they already wanted the strategy to be. Doing that is a mistake: we just got a huge amount of data on what worked and what didn't. I think it's very obvious at this point that running against your own party doesn't really work very well. It is not clear to me that's a cause and not an effect - a lot of the worst Donnelly/McCaskill comments came very late in the race when I suspect they realized they were down and were trying to turn things around. I am happy to be wrong about the way forward because my overriding goal is a Democratic House/Senate/Presidency in 2020, and my differences of opinion on what should be done with that power with people - even the dumbest of people - in this thread pale in comparison to the differences of opinion I have between what the candidates those people prefer would do if elected vs. what republicans would do. Winning is the most important thing, and it's important to figure out what lessons we learned from last night about what works and what doesn't.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Koalas Massacre posted:

In relation to what I was replying to it is. I was replying to a comment that mentioned him overseeing Mueller which is no longer doing aka gone

Y'all just angry and trying to start poo poo for no reason because much like goons can't scroll past derails without crying into their teddies you can't take context either

??

i've literally only posted about dumb law poo poo for the last two hours, you must be thinking of someone else

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

The only real hope here is Mueller amassed enough info and put in enough triggers that this new lackey can’t completely erase.

God drat the Republicans for supporting this blatant power grab in perfect lockstep.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Lets atleast give it a shot, for a week or 2. Worst case scenario is we make a new Trump thread next week

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1060284515992641544

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Haha the Florida offshore oil drilling ban is such a sham. It only covers up to 9 miles from the coastline (which was already illegal anyways for all intents and purposes). The only drilling off Florida in the GOM in controlled federally through EPA region 4 out of Atlanta

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Well, considering that this current screeching bout of yours was brought on by the suggestion "Maybe you should try actually winning the primary", you clearly seem to hold losing the primary as a goal for some reason.

The "screeching" began when you objected to me saying that left-Dems should be prepared to take over the party from the Succ-Dems. It's always nice when you telegraph how shook you are, Fulchrum.:laugh:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Condiv posted:

:wow:

about the only problem i see is this thread moves really really fast

The bigger problem is that this thread is a good source of Trump discussion and now it's going to be a bad source of that because it will be impossible to filter

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I don't think that is enough to force a recusal unfortunately.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I don't think that is enough to force a recusal unfortunately.

there's multiple editorials, tv, and radio appearances you can pretty easily find being posted right now. the clovis thing is nothing in comparison to the extensive body of comments about mueller's probe

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

eke out posted:

??

i've literally only posted about dumb law poo poo for the last two hours, you must be thinking of someone else

Ok let me make it clear, in the spirit of the post I was replying to, he is gone from that role.

And I was talking broadly of goons not you specifically. Which could also be taken from context from my previous posts!

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

haveblue posted:

So, because people can't be trusted to discuss things civilly and try to understand one another's positions, it's better to purge all who disagree?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Fart Amplifier posted:

The bigger problem is that this thread is a good source of Trump discussion and now it's going to be a bad source of that because it will be impossible to filter

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I am going to post this again because it the people that want the old trump thread back started using it, things would improve immediately.

Add this URL as a bookmark:

code:
javascript:(function(){ $('table.post').filter(function() { return $(this).find('.postbody > div.tweet, .postbody > img:not([src*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > a:not([href*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > .timg_container > img:not([src*="somethingawful.com"])').length === 0 }).hide() })()
Once you have the thread open, click the new bookmark and it will remove all posts that don't have external links, tweets, or images. There's probably a way to make it show posts from specific posters as well, but I am not doing all the work for you. :colbert:

With all the crazy going on today, and likely the rest of the week, it may help some of you that can't help yourselves.

This is not hard guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

there's multiple editorials, tv, and radio appearances you can pretty easily find being posted right now. the clovis thing is nothing in comparison to the extensive body of comments about mueller's probe

the clovis thing could be a specific issue that requires recusal under existing precedents while public commenting on the investigation may not, even if it's obviously much less of a bias