Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

drunkencarp posted:

Time Chasers is one of the few MST3K movies that give the impression the people making it were enjoying themselves.

it's a perfectly legitimate and watchable movie on its own, even if it is inseparable from the MST3K treatment at this point. it's almost a decent movie, what drags it down are the limited budget and experience available to david giancola. but for a teenager (iirc he was 19 when he made the film) on a shoestring in rural vermont everyone put in a good job and it's better made than many films on the show which were ostensibly more professional or made with more resources

if you ranked all the MST3K film treatments by whether or not the underlying film is good or bad, i'd put time chasers in the top five of actually decent films that were on the show, and this helps the episode also become one of the best

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It reminds me a bit of most of the Roger Corman stuff where most of his movies are pretty watchable because you can just tell that a ton of heart went into it and everyone is doing the best with the resources they have.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
So many of the movies seem to have been made by folks who hated themselves, movies, and people who watch movies, not necessarily in that order. Like, tell me anyone associated with Red Zone Cuba or High School Big Shot or Hobgoblins or Carnival Magic ever experienced joy in their lives.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

drunkencarp posted:

So many of the movies seem to have been made by folks who hated themselves, movies, and people who watch movies, not necessarily in that order. Like, tell me anyone associated with Red Zone Cuba or High School Big Shot or Hobgoblins or Carnival Magic ever experienced joy in their lives.

The monkey in Carnival Magic did. Then someone kidnapped it and brought it to hellzone Carnival.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I think a lot of passion went into Carnival Magic—the film has no reason to exist if it didn't. It's just sleazy, unsettling carnie passion.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

i love how over-the-top excited they get about Alex's chimp routine like drinking orange juice and sweeping the floor and they're just so pumped on it, and the end of that scene has Alex give the carnival owner a kiss and they're all like 'Oh, no. No, Too far. Nope."

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

drunkencarp posted:

carnival magic is a charming little lovely movie, i have a soft spot for amateur films made in some rural nowhere that aren't super genre focused like a werewolf slasher flick because the director is a furry. hobgoblins also because it tried to be an 80's style horror comedy and it just failed, but i like the way it captured that little slice of time

red zone cuba is a miserable film though. it's like an alcoholic nightmare. the only moment of passion is when coleman francis gets to use his favorite recurring imagery, which is a man firing a rifle out of a light aircraft at someone fleeing on foot

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
Fair point about Carnival Magic. Pretend I said Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

luxury handset posted:

red zone cuba is a miserable film though. it's like an alcoholic nightmare. the only moment of passion is when coleman francis gets to use his favorite recurring imagery, which is a man firing a rifle out of a light aircraft at someone fleeing on foot

Beast of Yucca Flats was another incomprehensible movie. Like there was a good 10 minutes or so of screen time devoted to some greasy guy trying to snipe someone running through he desert.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Giant Gila Monster is a favorite, so I might recommend that. You will get people complaining at you that 'I sing whenever I sing whenever I sing' is lodged in their forebrains with no sign of departing, but I think it's worth it. My own go-to introduction episode is Eegah, which I used by accident but seems to work pretty well. And 'watch out for snakes' is one of their most recurring leitmotifs so you can even call it backstory.

I would also humbly suggest Prince of Space, although not the similar Invasion of the Neptune Men which could threaten to just make the viewer sort of depressed and sad.

Man: "What a powerful beam he must have!"
Mike: *low voice* "Why thank you."

Always cracks me up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I wish I could remember where I saw the interview, but I remember Tony Cardoza saying something along the lines of "Coleman Francis made movies like other people cut themselves."

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
coleman francis has a lot in common with fletcher hanks, they were obscure outsider artists who made works focused on revenge and hatred then died in misery in public places

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I would also humbly suggest Prince of Space, although not the similar Invasion of the Neptune Men which could threaten to just make the viewer sort of depressed and sad.

Is Prince of Space the one with the Hitler building or was that Neptune Men?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Proteus Jones posted:

Is Prince of Space the one with the Hitler building or was that Neptune Men?

That was Neptune Men.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
another fun neptune men fact - space chief was sonny chiba's first film role, so you can put him on the list of famous actors with unfortunate MST3K appearances

e: furthermore, tatsuo umemiya is a famous actor in japan - not as much in the west. but he played prince of space, and he also pops up often in the gaki no tsukai batsu game series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bkhS5PEMRY

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 6, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

luxury handset posted:

coleman francis has a lot in common with fletcher hanks, they were obscure outsider artists who made works focused on revenge and hatred then died in misery in public places

I really hope the MST3K comic covers at least one or two of Fletcher Hanks' comics

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The first episode I ever saw was Red Zone Cuba. Although it made me a fan right away, I wouldn't recommend it to the uninitiated. I remember the cast and crew saying that Time of the Apes was a good entry point for a lot of people because the hook of a Japanese Planet of the Apes ripoff was easy for people to get into.

My personal recommendation for introducing people to the show is Bride of the Monster.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I've always said Angel's Revenge or Mitchell (Mitchell was the one that made me a fan)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

I've always said Angel's Revenge or Mitchell (Mitchell was the one that made me a fan)

Both of those are good. Angel's Revenge always goes over well, and it's easy to spin 'it's Charlie's Angel but twice as many girls and even dumber!' With bonus cameos from very talented actors who I assume needed new drywall.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Wild Rebels is the I usually use; because it has some great hooks and is such a terrible movie.

"Biker shrapnel everywhere...Oh my God! Banjo exploded!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

drrockso20 posted:

I really hope the MST3K comic covers at least one or two of Fletcher Hanks' comics

Since they've been doing old Dell Comics, I would love if they touched on the bizarre superhero monster comics.

Back in the late 50's/early 60's, Dell got the rights to do comics with the Universal Monsters and did a couple adaptations of the movies. But the Comics Code Authority was making things difficult and there was a public pressure to give into it. They suddenly weren't allowed to do comic books about monsters, which cut them off at the knees.

Instead, we got three comics that each ran for three issues. Dracula was a scientist who gave himself the ability to transform into a bat and used said ability to fight crime while wearing purple spandex. Frankenstein also fought crime, but wore a human mask over his green head to disguise himself as millionaire playboy Frank N. Stone. Werewolf was... just a spy who had a pet wolf.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wish I could remember where I saw the interview, but I remember Tony Cardoza saying something along the lines of "Coleman Francis made movies like other people cut themselves."

I think this is why I like the Coleman Francis Trilogy; it's three attempts to make this weird, misanthropic manifesto. I watch these, thinking that there must have been some ephemeral "better" version in his head that was still obviously incoherent and menaced by guntoting vigilantes in aircraft.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I think Eegah is the best entry point for new viewers. The lighting and sound quality are generally pretty good, it's got some super memorable sequences (the dune buggy stuff, the dumb songs, shaving Eegah) and of course introduces "Watch out for Snakes!" And it's Joel. Both Arch Hall Jr. and Richard Kiel became B-movie cult stars in their own right, so they might be recognizable to newbies too.

generally speaking, the better the technical quality of the film, the easier it will be to get into for newer MST3K fans. Grainy film or muffled audio is the best way to turn off fans.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I think Eegah is the best entry point for new viewers. The lighting and sound quality are generally pretty good, it's got some super memorable sequences (the dune buggy stuff, the dumb songs, shaving Eegah) and of course introduces "Watch out for Snakes!" And it's Joel. Both Arch Hall Jr. and Richard Kiel became B-movie cult stars in their own right, so they might be recognizable to newbies too.

And when your friends ask if the dad is really trying to get Roxie to put out for the giant caveman, you can sigh a little and say, yes. Yes, he is.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Though, if they're monster fans, you have the Gamera films, the Godzilla films, Gorgo, Deadly Mantis and a LOAD of others

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Mitchell is funny but I hate the sound quality of the movie and it throws me every time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So the good news is that I get to review the new season ahead of time :D

The bad news is that the embargo ends on the 19th so I can't say anything more :ohdear:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Prince of Space is great because the movie is kind of just funny on its own. Krankor looks and sounds silly, the dubbing is terrible, and the characters seem to have no motivation for half of what they're doing. It's crisp enough that you can see and hear everything, and it's filled with zany action and people wrestling and jumping in chicken suits. At its dullest, it's like watching the Power Rangers.

The riffing is also top notch. Tom saying "Oh, for crying out - EACH OF YOU WILL ENTER A SPACE CAPSULE!" gets me every time. Tiny robot Mike is also a charming little host segment.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Gavok posted:

The bad news is that the embargo ends on the 19th so I can't say anything more :ohdear:

jealous!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gavok posted:

I hate you

I hate you and your dumb face

I hope it keeps getting punched

thank you

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Shout's going to stream the new eps on the 18th

https://news.avclub.com/mystery-sci...tm_content=Main

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

/\/\/\/\/\

Great news, but tbh I'm not reading it as "the new eps". Both AVClub and Shout! Factory TV say it's "six MST3K episodes, as well as brand-new episode intros featuring Joel and Jonah", in other words, a regular annual Turkey Day marathon.

e: Also Shout! Factory TV runs MSTie Takeover programming through the entire November, so that's a good thing, too.

Gavok posted:

wink once if it's good, twice if it's very good

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 7, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

Prince of Space is great because the movie is kind of just funny on its own. Krankor looks and sounds silly, the dubbing is terrible, and the characters seem to have no motivation for half of what they're doing. It's crisp enough that you can see and hear everything, and it's filled with zany action and people wrestling and jumping in chicken suits. At its dullest, it's like watching the Power Rangers.

The riffing is also top notch. Tom saying "Oh, for crying out - EACH OF YOU WILL ENTER A SPACE CAPSULE!" gets me every time. Tiny robot Mike is also a charming little host segment.

"He's sure got some stones to mess with me!" is an evergreen riff.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

"we like bootblacking very much!"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm still not clear on whether or not Krankor's weapons have any effect on the Prince of Space.

Also caustic vapors.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:sax: Ooooooooooh, here we go off to Beaver Falls, Beaver Falls, Beaver Falls...

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Crank whore?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

:sax: Ooooooooooh, here we go off to Beaver Falls, Beaver Falls, Beaver Falls...

Beaver Falls isn't far from where I grew up so I just figure Krankor is inexplicably attacking Pittsburgh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I'm surprised The Black Scorpion doesn't get more love. That's a really great deep cut