Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Wonder Woman feels pretty peripheral to this story so far, really, much like a lot of stories where people are like, "I wanna write about the Trinity!" when what they really mean is they wanna write about Superman, Batman, and Girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cjwardart/status/1058040723801550848

This is exactly someone who should be making some crazy cosmic GL art, and he's practically begging. Hire.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 1, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Blues posted:

Wonder Woman feels pretty peripheral to this story so far, really, much like a lot of stories where people are like, "I wanna write about the Trinity!" when what they really mean is they wanna write about Superman, Batman, and Girl.

Aside from maybe "For The Man Who Has Everything" is there a good Trinity story that uses all three well?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hm. Kingdom Come is generally really well-regarded, and I certainly see a lot of its strengths as well. I think that's the first "modern age" story where people were suddenly like, oh yeah, these characters have a really interesting chemistry going on between the three of them.

It's a dynamic that Johns had wanted to replicate for Infinite Crisis, and I'm actually going to go against much of the grain here and say that he mostly succeeded.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

Hm. Kingdom Come is generally really well-regarded, and I certainly see a lot of its strengths as well. I think that's the first "modern age" story where people were suddenly like, oh yeah, these characters have a really interesting chemistry going on between the three of them.

It's a dynamic that Johns had wanted to replicate for Infinite Crisis, and I'm actually going to go against much of the grain here and say that he mostly succeeded.

Even Waid believes his own take on Wonder Woman wasn't the greatest in KC and it's caused a lot of people to follow in his wake with bad "Wonder Woman is a ruthless warrior compared to Bats and Supes" takes.

It's also the origin of the serious support for WW and Supes romance, a horrible shame even if it worked in that story.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Man of Steel firmly laid it out that Clark was the person and Superman was the disguise and even though it was by John Byrne it's a great take on the character.

If Clark is the mask and Superman is the reality then Lex Luthor is right and Superman isn't a man who exemplifies the best parts of humanity, he's an alien whose character is defined by the god-like powers he was given and who the average person shouldn't even try to aspire to.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Is this the place to discuss the DC/Hannah-Barbera crossovers? I've read two of the four so far.

I feel like Yogi Bear/Deathstroke followed the same formula that Harley/Gossamer and Catwoman/S&T did for the Looney Tunes crossover did - aim firmly for C-grade territory and hope for a happy accident or two. Yogi is written as well as you could hope for, but Deathstroke feels miscast - he's more like Deadpool than Deathstroke. I feel like Red Hood or Lobo or somebody else would have been a better fit to shoot people's fingers off and crack wise. Grade: C.

Green Lantern/Huckleberry Hound is heavier and better than these crossovers have any right to be. My biggest complaint is that Huck's dog-centric jokes are hit-or-miss. It's still A-grade territory.

Also I went ahead and read all four parts of the Secret Squirrel anthology and it sure is an episode of Secret Squirrel with adult themes. I'm sure somebody somewhere can enjoy it... maybe? I felt like a blind man watching a juggling act while I was reading it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Speaking of Mark Russell, his story in the Terrifics Annual was good.
It was the backstory of Java (modern caveman character from Metamorpho) back when he was a neanderthal, first meeting early homosapean man, so it was pretty much more Flintstones, if anyone was missing that.
Doc Shaner art, too.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Speaking of Mark Russell, his story in the Terrifics Annual was good.
It was the backstory of Java (modern caveman character from Metamorpho) back when he was a neanderthal, first meeting early homosapean man, so it was pretty much more Flintstones, if anyone was missing that.
Doc Shaner art, too.

I just realized he also wrote the excellent Lex Luthor/Porky Pig crossover. It's a pity none of the humor from the Daffy/Lex exchange rubbed off on Huck.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, it'd be hard to top the laffs from the last time he wrote Huckleberry Hound.

edit: Tom Taylor's Detective Chimp story in Batman Secret Files was excellent. Hopefully he gets a Detective Comics run one day.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 4, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Everyone see the weird half buzzed haircut Aquaman has in the Drowned Earth special? It was there in JL #10 too, but somehow I didn't notice. He just wakes up in evil fish god prison with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess there's a rumor that comic Aquaman is going to be somehow CHANGED to look like Jason Momoa in the near future.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I guess there's a rumor that comic Aquaman is going to be somehow CHANGED to look like Jason Momoa in the near future.

Why can't they just start drawing him with dark hair? Like it'd be a bit of a stretch if they just started drawing Nick Fury to look like Sam Jackson with no explanation, but this seems a way smaller jump, and when they did start drawing Nick Fury to look like Sam Jackson the explanation was terrible and it would have been better if they just started drawing Nick Fury to look like Sam Jackson with no explanation.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Why can't they just start drawing him with dark hair? Like it'd be a bit of a stretch if they just started drawing Nick Fury to look like Sam Jackson with no explanation, but this seems a way smaller jump, and when they did start drawing Nick Fury to look like Sam Jackson the explanation was terrible and it would have been better if they just started drawing Nick Fury to look like Sam Jackson with no explanation.

what you don't like Nick Fury's secret black son Nick Fury

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

what you don't like Nick Fury's secret black son Nick Fury

Is he even in anything anymore? I know the first Nick Fury is on the moon.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From art/covers we've seen, this gets undone and he goes back to his regular recent longhair/beard look for KSD's run.
It does seem like it'll be upping the buff shirtless quota, though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

From art/covers we've seen, this gets undone and he goes back to his regular recent longhair/beard look for KSD's run.
It does seem like it'll be upping the buff shirtless quota, though.

tbf, that look is a much better one than the clean-cut version.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Is he even in anything anymore? I know the first Nick Fury is on the moon.

Much like MCU Fury, he pops up now and then so everyone can stop and say "oh yeah, SHIELD's a thing"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Much like MCU Fury, he pops up now and then so everyone can stop and say "oh yeah, SHIELD's a thing"

I thought SHIELD hadn't been a thing since the end of the Nazi Cap thing.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Skwirl posted:

Jessica Cruz: Hey Arthur, how's it going? I heard you got a hair change, but I honestly can't see it.
Arthur: Really? Because your hair changes between black and brown every month.
Jessica: It does?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Fury Jr gave castle the war machine armor to work for shield and they've been chasing him after castle just started doing his own thing with it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Fury Jr gave castle the war machine armor to work for shield and they've been chasing him after castle just started doing his own thing with it

How dumb are you that you think giving War Machine armor to Frank Castle could possibly end well?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

How dumb are you that you think giving War Machine armor to Frank Castle could possibly end well?

I agree but Nick Sr. did dumb poo poo like that all the time, so it's not like he's behaving in a way not befitting his heritage

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

How dumb are you that you think giving [Stinger Missles and military training] to [Afghan militants in the '80s] could possibly end well?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Don’t know how to imbed tweets, but Tom King said that Trump seems to act like he’s being manipulated by a foreign power to sabotage America. Said it’s similar to the way he would “run” insurgents in the CIA.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To embed, you just copy the direct link to the tweet and paste it. The forums take care of the rest.

I'm not sure that has anything to do with DC comics, though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah just because Tom King said it doesn't make it relevant to this thread.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In the new GL, I dunno if Morrison is writing Hal as his genuine vision of a badass cool dude, or he's making fun of him.
Anyway, it seems super into weirdo alien stuff and Sharp's art sure suits that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Teenage Fansub posted:

In the new GL, I dunno if Morrison is writing Hal as his genuine vision of a badass cool dude, or he's making fun of him.
Anyway, it seems super into weirdo alien stuff and Sharp's art sure suits that.

I think he thinks Hal is cool.

The Green Lantern is... interesting? There's a lot of old stuff like the Anti-Matter Universe and other callbacks to things way since long past. It's a Morrison book, but... and I know this is a silly criticism because Morrison book... this is way too much poo poo without explanation. I can't seem to trace the status quo from what was to what is. It just annoys me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Onmi posted:

I think he thinks Hal is cool.

The Green Lantern is... interesting? There's a lot of old stuff like the Anti-Matter Universe and other callbacks to things way since long past. It's a Morrison book, but... and I know this is a silly criticism because Morrison book... this is way too much poo poo without explanation. I can't seem to trace the status quo from what was to what is. It just annoys me.

Anti matter universe has been shown recently with the sinestro corps

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe I'm just forgetting, but for the latest Batman, was Penny Cobblepot set up anywhere? The only reference I can see on Google is his secretary named Penny on the Gotham TV show.
It seems like a secret/adopted daughter based on the age on her tombstone.

edit: Or not. BC's asking the same thing and reminding me that he put 'wife' on her tombstone.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11/07/penny-cobblepot-batman-58-spoilers/

One of the commenters is suggesting that it's an actual penguin, which I approve of.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 7, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I loved the design of the spider pirate in Green Lantern.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

jarro is the sensational character find of 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh man, DC needs to release that goddamned plush Starro now.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The new Robin is great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Can hang with my dex-starr

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I will call him Stuffo.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe I'm just forgetting, but for the latest Batman, was Penny Cobblepot set up anywhere? The only reference I can see on Google is his secretary named Penny on the Gotham TV show.
It seems like a secret/adopted daughter based on the age on her tombstone.

edit: Or not. BC's asking the same thing and reminding me that he put 'wife' on her tombstone.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11/07/penny-cobblepot-batman-58-spoilers/

One of the commenters is suggesting that it's an actual penguin, which I approve of.

I instantly suspected it was an actual penguin. There's a lot of too-cute stuff like his dialogue, "they treated you as if you weren't even a person!", and Penny having been twenty years old which is the expected lifespan of an Emperor Penguin. He probably married her to one of his other penguins in some kind of weird zoo ceremony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

jarro is the sensational character find of 2018

... is Bruce trying to master sumo or something?