Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

How about the "everybody dies except Tyrion and Missandei; they gently caress" ending, is that fake or?

romanowski posted:

I think it makes a lot more sense that they would kill off a fan favorite in the most contrived way possible. it's the last season and the show's bread and butter is killing off characters, so why wouldn't they do that?

I dunno, it seems like it started off that way but the show has felt more and more pandering in the seasons after it ran out of Grum book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Grevling posted:

How about the "everybody dies except Tyrion and Missandei; they gently caress" ending, is that fake or?

I think that one is real.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

LOL if you think in this day and age HBO will have the female hero do a heel turn.

they literally did exactly that with westworld though

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Arya and the hound exploring west of Westeros would have been a cool spinoff

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, I'm assuming they have more grum book for this season than they did the previous one, since he gave them a list of major plot points when they started writing the show. Most of those are probably going to be ending-related, like Dany murdering characters we like, and Jaime strangling Cersei with his golden hand and Jon loving a zombie for peace.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

romanowski posted:

I never watched season 2. Who became the hero?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Grevling posted:

I dunno, it seems like it started off that way but the show has felt more and more pandering in the seasons after it ran out of Grum book.

I agree that the show has gotten more pandering in various ways but it just wouldn't have really made sense to kill off any of Jon/Dany/Tyrion before this upcoming season. the pandering I think comes more in the form of meta dialog and dick jokes and stuff, which was kind of always there anyway

Waltzing Along posted:

I never watched season 2. Who became the hero?

dolores becomes a villain

e: I guess maeve becomes the "hero" but I can't really remember what happens because I didn't like the season anyway

romanowski fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 7, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

romanowski posted:

I agree that the show has gotten more pandering in various ways but it just wouldn't have really made sense to kill off any of Jon/Dany/Tyrion before this upcoming season. the pandering I think comes more in the form of meta dialog and dick jokes and stuff, which was kind of always there anyway

dolores becomes a villain

But she was never the hero. She was the damsel in distress, if anything. Unless they did a hero > villain all in S2.

But Dany has been John Cena since the very beginning. A heel turn now would be like Hollywood Hogan level.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

ok I see what you're saying, I was interpreting "hero" more as "protagonist"

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Note: those are fake, before you freak out.

i fell for it. the happily ever after ending would be just the worst ending and i want it so bad

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've always assumed Tyrion would get self-insert immunity from Gurm, but I could see him being written from the start as someone who gets killed by Daenerys to establish that she was a bad guy all along. It definitely won't be a showrunner original idea if it happens.

I mean, the worst thing they could do would be not kill off any of the main characters. Season 7 kicked off the big dramatic war where suddenly the entire main cast is in conflict with someone and could die at any moment, and we lost such beloved characters as Sam's Dad, That One Red Priest and Sand Snake (Tits) And Her Mom. And Olenna Tyrell, to be fair.

Actually, Littlefinger's death and the Sansa/Arya scenes that led up to it are worth mentioning. If anything comes close to being Dexter levels of bad, it's that whole sequence.

which one? I don't remember this.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Thoros of Myr, the guy who used to resurrect Berric Dondarrion and make his sword be on fire. He was the one casualty of the whole zombie kidnapping episode.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Thoros of Myr, the guy who used to resurrect Berric Dondarrion and make his sword be on fire. He was the one casualty of the whole zombie kidnapping episode.

Well, the only one with an actual name. I think there were some nameless wildling dudes who weren't even on camera until they got to the lake.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Waltzing Along posted:

But she was never the hero. She was the damsel in distress, if anything. Unless they did a hero > villain all in S2.

But Dany has been John Cena since the very beginning. A heel turn now would be like Hollywood Hogan level.

Please. Dany has been Roman Reigns.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well, I'm assuming they have more grum book for this season than they did the previous one, since he gave them a list of major plot points when they started writing the show.

Eh.

From what I've gathered, GRRM's writing style is very "as it comes" meaning he definitely notes out what he wants to happen broadly etc. but it is extremely subject to change as he fills in the details progressively. He's more or less said 'yes, I have an ending written out for if I get stuck and just don't know what to do but it isn't THE end' and while definitely I bet he gave HBO those original skeleton notes I also think they are very broad and not even that likely to happen in the books necessarily. He's definitely not the type of writer that creates elaborate notes and decides how every little detail will go before ever sitting down to write it all out.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

They've killed everyone without introducing anyone new worth a poo poo and the world has turned out to be pretty thin (lol Fantasy Spain and Fantasy Vikings) so you'd be basically be starting off from scratch. And the writers have amply demonstrated that they couldn't write themselves out of a wet paper bag. This crap was turbodone two seasons ago.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
GoT Season 8: Bran shits into his own warg

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

romanowski posted:

uh no killing all humans makes her the hero

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

We'll never know

At least not until six weeks after the last episode airs when she flops dug in some theater thing in London to show she's a real adult now

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've always assumed Tyrion would get self-insert immunity from Gurm, but I could see him being written from the start as someone who gets killed by Daenerys to establish that she was a bad guy all along. It definitely won't be a showrunner original idea if it happens.

I mean, the worst thing they could do would be not kill off any of the main characters. Season 7 kicked off the big dramatic war where suddenly the entire main cast is in conflict with someone and could die at any moment, and we lost such beloved characters as Sam's Dad, That One Red Priest and Sand Snake (Tits) And Her Mom. And Olenna Tyrell, to be fair.

Actually, Littlefinger's death and the Sansa/Arya scenes that led up to it are worth mentioning. If anything comes close to being Dexter levels of bad, it's that whole sequence.

GURM insert is Sam, not Tyrion

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Dolores did not really became a villian in Westworld because Westworld is an incoherent show. It seemed like she was the villain for most of S2 but then the end of season 2 didn't just reverse that, it retconned it, as well as most of the details of the entire show. The whole story is a nonsensical mess now.

The writers admitted along the way that they had been reacting in real time to people's reddit predictions, and also deciding last-minute on major changes like supposedly "Stubbs is a robot" on the night of the finale, without having told the actor or anyone to act accordingly before that point. (edit: Now there are no characters remaining who have not had that tired "reveal" done to them besides the two techs)

The purpose of Westworld is to feel like a "smart" show that makes viewers believe they are working to solve a mystery the show writers have strung out before them. But the show writers admitted that they don't know the mystery, don't plan the twists, and are just faking everyone out. Bad scam show, with a huge budget and big names, which is how they still managed two good episodes in S2.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 7, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Dolores did not really became a villian in Westworld because Westworld is an incoherent show. It seemed like she was the villain for most of S2 but then the end of season 2 didn't just reverse that, it retconned it, as well as most of the details of the entire show. The whole story is a nonsensical mess now.

The writers admitted along the way that they had been reacting in real time to people's reddit predictions, and also deciding last-minute on major changes like supposedly "Stubbs is a robot" on the night of the finale, without having told the actor or anyone to act accordingly before that point. (edit: Now there are no characters remaining who have not had that tired "reveal" done to them besides the two techs) The purpose of the show is to make viewers believe they are working to solve a mystery the show writers have strung out before you but the show writers admitted that they don't know the mystery, don't plan the twists, and are just faking everyone out. Bad scam show with a huge budget and big names that thus still managed two good episodes in S2.

Is the Sand Snakes in it show the tits?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Speaking of best shows, someone mentioned the Shield. Once I finish The Wire and everything else David Simon has touched, I might want another good police show.

So which is better, the Shield or 19-2? I'm asking this because I saw the clip from 19-2 with the really long scene (that lacked any camera cuts) showing a school shooting and was awed by the production quality of that

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Dolores actually got smashed by the giant while defending The Wall so idk what tf y'all talkin 'bout

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Speaking of best shows, someone mentioned the Shield. Once I finish The Wire and everything else David Simon has touched, I might want another good police show.

So which is better, the Shield or 19-2? I'm asking this because I saw the clip from 19-2 with the really long scene (that lacked any camera cuts) showing a school shooting and was awed by the production quality of that

Gravity Falls

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

grey's anatomy is about health police try that maybe?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The Shield is fantastic. It's got one of the all time great final episodes too, that whole final run of the final season is incredibly satisfying.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Greys anatomy has more than 10 seasons of 22 40 minute episodes if you want to waste your life it’s a front runner

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I hope a giant steps on that hipster bar.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Shield is pretty dope but you'll have to get used to the extremely 90s intro

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Nah, Brienne of Tarth and Pod going around the country side solving crimes

in a van

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

trickybiscuits posted:

in a van

in a Bangbus

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Can Pod the Rod hold up against Westeros's most unrelenting handjob courtesy of Brienne "Beatbitch" Tarth? Find out next week, with a special guest appearance by Arya "Dugflopper" Stark

raton fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 12, 2018

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

trickybiscuits posted:

in a van

Why not all 4? Get hot pie in on it too.

edit-this didnt come off very well after the bangbus comment lol gently caress

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

The Shield is pretty dope but you'll have to get used to the extremely 90s intro

It's like 10 seconds long...

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
I actually paid 15$ for a Knight if the seven kingdoms, and can say with certainty 10% of the book in, its better than the last three seasons of the show combined. Nobody even had to “flop dugs” to make it good, and it’s still full of great non-tits illustration.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I hope a giant steps on some more people

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Solvent posted:

I actually paid 15$ for a Knight if the seven kingdoms, and can say with certainty 10% of the book in, its better than the last three seasons of the show combined. Nobody even had to “flop dugs” to make it good, and it’s still full of great non-tits illustration.

wtf this mean

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Milo and POTUS posted:

wtf this mean

It's when you swallow the drugs on a sheet of toilet paper as an improvised time-release mechanism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It's when you swallow the drugs on a sheet of toilet paper as an improvised time-release mechanism

thats parachuting