Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah Sakura actually defeated a significant villain once, help or not. That's like hundred times better than Rebecca.

I feel like if kyros himself hadn't stopped her she would have kept fighting dimante and lost. she couldn't beat him. sakura literally got puppet no jutsu'd into getting the win. she didn't win. the old woman did. sakura at that point had been training under tsunade for a long time and people were hoping she would finally do something. nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah Sakura actually defeated a significant villain once, help or not. That's like hundred times better than Rebecca.
I wouldn't even give Sakura victory over Sasori since Grandma Chiyo did about 90% of the work.

But back to One Piece, I found myself bored with the entire royal family of Dressrosa to be frank. Only part of them I liked was the emotional scene where Riku was forced to slaughter his own people.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

TheLoneStar posted:

I wouldn't even give Sakura Sasori since Grandma Chiyo did about 90% of the work.

I was literally typing this out when you said it lol my dude.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AkumaHokoru posted:

She fought in the arena until she had to fight diamante who was her 2nd round opponent and the man who killed her mother right in front of her. he then bashed her in the head so hard her helmet broke. what did you want her to do after that? she KEPT fighting dimante who literally chased her for the rest of the arc till robin ,kyros and the best character introduced in dressrosa bartomelo beat him kyros after turning human literally told her she could finally go back to being a princess and stop fighting against the hate the entire town threw on her

Ok, let me revise it then:

She did jack poo poo aside from getting saved

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Andrast posted:

Ok, let me revise it then:

She did jack poo poo aside from getting saved

that's fine. she's not vivi. not everyone has to be vivi. also she won her first round so she still did something and completely on her own impactful to the story? no but a accomplishment on its own considering the people involved she's no slouch but she wasn't taught to fight to win she was taught fight to survive.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AkumaHokoru posted:

that's fine. she's not vivi. not everyone has to be vivi.

I also hate it when important characters who get a lot of focus actually do something to earn that focus instead of just sucking

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Sakura's body under someone's else control beating a significant villain once is still a lot better showing than what Rebecca got. :shrug:

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Andrast posted:

I also hate it when important characters who get a lot of focus actually do something to earn that focus instead of just sucking

she's not that important though she's part of dressrosa's/kyros's backstory more than she is her own character.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Sakura's body under someone's else control beating a significant villain once is still a lot better showing than what Rebecca got. :shrug:

This I cant argue against. they could have done more with her I wont argue that but she doesn't deserve sakura level hate because shes not even the main support character of the arc. that's soldier-san

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AkumaHokoru posted:

she's not that important though she's part of dressrosa's/kyros's backstory more than she is her own character.

Boy did they waste a lot of time on her and her boring father for nothing then

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I liked Kyros and Rebecca. Kyros, for his part, managed to leap through a window, behead Doflamingo and rescue King Riku, all with one leg and the very instant he turned back from a puppet. Rebecca's whole deal was that she hated fighting, and being placed in the arena was a literal living hell that she endured while standing by her ideal. I know a lot of people didn't like Kyros taking the fight against Diamante away from her, but they both wanted him to be the protector that would let Rebecca live her life free from violence, and forcing her to end that fight would have given the Doflamingo family the last laugh against her. Kyros finally being able to take that fight for her was his absolution as a father.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I liked Kyros and Rebecca. Kyros, for his part, managed to leap through a window, behead Doflamingo and rescue King Riku, all with one leg and the very instant he turned back from a puppet. Rebecca's whole deal was that she hated fighting, and being placed in the arena was a literal living hell that she endured while standing by her ideal. I know a lot of people didn't like Kyros taking the fight against Diamante away from her, but they both wanted him to be the protector that would let Rebecca live her life free from violence, and forcing her to end that fight would have given the Doflamingo family the last laugh against her. Kyros finally being able to take that fight for her was his absolution as a father.

Someone who got the point of both characters. hallelujah.
hell I think part of her story was to show how cruel the don flamingo family was where they not only subjugated people with violence and misdirection but making people go against their ideals just for the laugh of inflicting pain on that person. diamante was by far the most sadistic member of the don flamingo family short of doffy himself

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AkumaHokoru posted:

Someone who got the point of both characters. hallelujah.

I got the point. I just thought that the whole story wasn't worth telling.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 7, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah the reason for her story being what it was doesn't make it any better. It would be worth remembering that Rebecca's story came right after the arc where Sanji exposed Nami against her will, Tashigi continued to under-perform and Zoro suddenly gained a Sanji trait in his hesitation to hurt a woman, something that was never hinted at being a Zoro trait before and in fact ran directly counter to his backstory.

We get those things and then we're presented with Rebecca, the sweet innocent scantily clad girl who just can't bring herself to hurt a soul and won't someone please protect her from violence? This was not a great period for women in One Piece and Rebecca's story just added onto the pile. Robin had a fairly good moment in tanking Diamante's attacks but people had also been wanting a Robin fight for a long time already by then and I think some people resented Kyros in part for "taking" that from her.

I do think Kyros was pretty cool, though.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Andrast posted:

I got the point. I just thought that whole story was boring and sucked.

:( I liked their story it was nice and they even solved their own problem (poor robin she couldn't even get a clutch in to help them win?)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Viridiant posted:

Robin had a fairly good moment in tanking Diamante's attacks but people had also been wanting a Robin fight for a long time already by then and I think some people resented Kyros in part for "taking" that from her.

I do think Kyros was pretty cool, though.

Oh god, don't even mention the whole "Robin gets a team fight against major villain! Yay!" turning into "actually, Robin's entire role in the fight is preventing another female character from fighting said major villain while newly introduced male character defeats him solo". That pissed me off more than friggin birdcage.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Robin having to fight a guy whose bones couldn't be snapped would've rule so hard

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fawf posted:

Robin having to fight a guy whose bones couldn't be snapped would've rule so hard

This person gets it.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
As far as I recall she can make as many hands as she can handle but all of them are still connected to her body so if something bad happens to one she feels it I imagine punching someone with all 100 hands would hurt her a lot too which is why she doesn't do it also she has almost no training as a fighter the entire time shes been either an assassin or a researcher

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AkumaHokoru posted:

As far as I recall she can make as many hands as she can handle but all of them are still connected to her body so if something bad happens to one she feels it I imagine punching someone with all 100 hands would hurt her a lot too which is why she doesn't do it also she has almost no training as a fighter the entire time shes been either an assassin or a researcher

She was with the Revolutionaries for 2 years, and knew Koala on a personal basis. Plenty of time to learn Fishman Karate.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah the timeskip was a great opportunity for Oda to rework the Strawhats' fighting styles as much as he wanted to make them easier to write and I'm actually not sure what Robin really gained from those two years that has been of use to her or the Strawhats since. I could name something for pretty much everyone else but her. You couldn't even say her gaining contacts in the Revolutionary army is particularly useful because their leader and one of their commanders is Luffy's dad and childhood friend respectively, and Jinbei has a connection to Koala already. Oh yeah, and Luffy's also friends with Ivankov.

Like I feel that there has to be something I'm forgetting. Did she learn something new about the poneglyphs?

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 7, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Viridiant posted:

Yeah the timeskip was a great opportunity for Oda to rework the Strawhats' fighting styles as much as he wanted to make them easier to write and I'm actually not sure what Robin really gained from those two years that has been of use to her or the Strawhats since. I could name something for pretty much everyone else but her. You couldn't even say her gaining contacts in the Revolutionary army is particularly useful because their leader and one of their commanders is Luffy's dad and childhood friend respectively, and Jinbei has a connection to Koala already. Oh yeah, and Luffy's also friends with Ivankov.

Like I feel that there has to be something I'm forgetting.

She learned to make super-large hands and feet for smacking enemies around, although she only used it against an enemy she couldn't have just snapped the spine of once (Surume the kraken), and the other Straw Hats could probably have handled Surume without her help anyway.

Edit: OK, she restrained Hakuba, which I'm pretty sure she couldn't have done before the time skip. Plus she can clone her entire body now.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It would be sick if Robin learned armament

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
she can use her devil fruit to fly, which used to be a Big Deal

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Robin's fruit with a strong haki user would be among the most broken powers in all of One Piece, no doubt

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Julias posted:

She was with the Revolutionaries for 2 years, and knew Koala on a personal basis. Plenty of time to learn Fishman Karate.

wasnt she captive on that bridge thing for most of that time learning what they knew about that region and the history till the revolutionaries destroyed the army that was using the prisoners to build the bridge to nowhere?

(she was talking with the fellow captured revolutionaries till the rebellion kicked off?)

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

AkumaHokoru posted:

wasnt she captive on that bridge thing for most of that time learning what they knew about that region and the history till the revolutionaries destroyed the army that was using the prisoners to build the bridge to nowhere?

(she was talking with the fellow captured revolutionaries till the rebellion kicked off?)

She gets out of the prison pretty early in the timeskip, the 3D2Y paper is still in circulation. She spends 2 years with the revolutionaries more or less

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

AkumaHokoru posted:

She busted that place up and started the revolution within, like, the first week.

She just spent the next few years hangin' with the Revolutionaries.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
These are apparently the spoilers for the coming issue

Chapter 924 Ha

Law attempts to collection Luffy and escape, but he is hit with a nail made of Seastone, sealing away his powers. Hawkins explains that Seastone, which has spread out through the world, originated in Wano Country and the only craftsmen skilled enough to refine Seastone so small exist only in Wano Country. While still knocked out, Luffy still scowls at Kaido. Kaido orders his subordinates to throw Luffy in prison.

Kaido: "If we can break his spirits, then he can become a fine military power for us."

As all of the subordinates close in on Luffy, they all suddenly begin foaming at the mouth and collapse.

Shutenmaru: "That was Lord Oden's power just now... Did that guy do it!?"
Kaido: "So you too... that brat, Kid, had that same Haoshoku Haki... Hardly anyone can use that Haoshoku."

Kaido puts off the retrieval of Law and flies off in order to start drinking again. While Law was stuck with the Seastone nail, a single person was able to successfully escape. In Okobore Town, Tsuru is attending to the wounded. Kinemon watches over her from the shadows. Kinemon is suprised after he sees Shutenmaru, who has gotten to close to his side.

Kinemon: (Ashura Douji!)

O-kiku arrives at the remains of Oden Castle and discovers a large pit. Inside the pit are Nami and the others. Shinobu can make whatever she touches mature with her "Juku Juku Bewitching Jutsu", and she was able to protect everyone by maturing the ground and making it sink.

Inuarashi discovers Tama barely breathing in the wastelands. he lays bare his anger at Kaido's actions. A special issue paper is being distributed throughout Wano Country. Ussop, Franky, and Robin read it with a horrifying speechless expression.

The next day in Wano Country, several samurai are being worked like slaves in a factory in Udon. A single guard approaches a cell with a poisonous fish and peers into it. The cell is dark, and you can not see into the farther areas.

"Anybody in here?"

”Well, '4 poisonous fish a day' and 'boneless fish.' Those two were the only things decided on."

The guard absentmindedly puts the fish in the cage without removing the bones.
A chained Luffy carries it back. Luffy draws his attention, and a bone from the poisonous fish goes flying and stabs the guard in the neck. The man, who's collapsed to the ground with blood running from his neck, asks what's in this cage, but nobody knows. Luffy has also been put in this cage. Kaido's subordinates laugh loudly that Luffy is being put hard to work until his spirit breaks. Inside the cage, a similarly ragged Kid resides.

Luffy and Kid: "We remember... Kaido..."

"Hm? Ah... You..."

The stage curtain falls.
End of Act 1 of Wano Country.

End (Break next week)

Could be bullshit, but let's see.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

WOW!

Not really spoilers, but Luffy is dead.

Also, yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada

Yada yada yada yada yada yada

Yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada

Yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada
Yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its pretty easy to find spoilers and i kinda like this being the "not spoiler place"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
between robin getting sandbagged, rebecca's lack-of-an-arc/general uselessness, sugar just being perona again right down to a practically identical usopp defeat, and basically everything about baby 5 dressrosa was a rough time for women characters

things have mostly been on an upswing since then though!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Spoiler chat doesn't happen too often here thankfully so it's easy enough to stay away for a day or two.

One Piece is just too spectacular week to week. I personally won't go near spoilers for any reason.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
stop posting fuckin' spoilers we all read the god drat chapters

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spoiler posts are good as long as they are tagged imo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
a tagged spoiler post is like a big sign saying chapter soon

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Waking up on a Thursday is also a good sign of that.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Spoilers are fine as long as it's tagged. Just makes me more hyped for Friday.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
just dont be that moron that posts any untagged spoilers before the chap is out and were good

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Did you know Luffy wants to become King of the PIrates? Sorry, spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RealFoxy posted:

Did you know Luffy wants to become King of the PIrates? Sorry, spoilers.

did you know luffy at some point in a future chapter is going to win a fight with kaidou? I want to read it myself not just have someone post what happens in the chapter that comes out tomorrow