Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

the difference is only about 15,000 so that could definitely move if its 650k outstanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lycus posted:

AG Gorka.

THE DRAGON OF BUDAPEST BECOMES THE TIAMAT OF JUSTICE!!! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!! GOOOOORKAAAAAAA!!!!!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Can populated blue states start incentivizing moving to blood red states? If California give a democrat voter 10K to move to a red state in a red district, it could move some needles. It sounds really dumb, but this self sorting that the democrats have done is a huge problem.

You either win the rural vote by appealing to existing rural voters, or you make new rural voters.

It would be much easier and moral/ethical to abolish the senate and democratize our economy and political system than it would be to do basically the Indian Removal Act for white libs

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Can populated blue states start incentivizing moving to blood red states? If California give a democrat voter 10K to move to a red state in a red district, it could move some needles. It sounds really dumb, but this self sorting that the democrats have done is a huge problem.

You either win the rural vote by appealing to existing rural voters, or you make new rural voters.

no individual state is going to incentivize repopulating other states. it's against their own interests.

dems making rural states and areas more livable with infrastructure investments and such would help a lot, but that would require the dems to commit to government spending, which they're deathly terrified of

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Z. Autobahn posted:

I think the reasonable model of a 2018+ Dem Senator is a a guy who's pro-M4A, pro-taxing the rich, anti-gun-control, pro-life, and just sorta evades the topic of immigration.

If you think this is the future, your version of the Democratic Party is morally bankrupt and a waste of marginalized people's time. We have literal concentration camps for immigrants and Republicans are as we speak trying to kill Roe, social centrism is trash.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

i'm actually surprised the dems are as muted as they are about climate change

Its because of a couple of factors. First and foremost, most of our elected officials came to power in the old age where no one actually had to understand the issues that's what the staff is for. Climate change is such a massive overwhelming issue that it actually requires understanding to discuss it meaningfully. You have to not just understand what's happening to the globe (voters don't care about other places) you have to understand that and also understand how climate change impacts your community. That's a lot of understanding for politicians and their staff who usually know less about science or society than they do about budget rules.

The second big reason you don't here more climate talk from politicians is that the impactful statements draw stupid rear end gotchas from the media like flies to tasty bbq. So you try to connect the dots and say "local community, if we don't do something our favorite river is going to die!" You'll get all the earned media you expect turned into lovely rear end think pieces about how you're wrong and scaring people for no reason, "scientists say its only a 70% chance of occurring and what if we magic water into the river instead!" So they say nothing because being a coward usually works better than being risky in politics if you're already an incumbent.

So they say the same platitudes and treat it like racism or sexism, a vague bad issue that we need to fix, but with no discussion of the hard choices fixing it requires.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Ironically, I think California is kind of doing this by failing to pass the rent control amendment, albeit in a roundabout way.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I know it's screaming into the wind with everything going on today, but to everyone who reached out in the State/Local thread to get hooked into canvassing / phone banking / text banking / etc: thank you. Win or lose, you changed how you interact with the country, you probably met at least one person you're going to remember the rest of your life, and I hope at least one person who was new to all of it keeps the magic alive.

It's still screaming Hellworld out here, but building power at the street level with the well-meaning maniacs of society (and also goons) is how the world changes.

That said JESUS CHRIST I JUST WANTED TO TAKE A NAP gently caress OFF NEWS CYCLE

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

evilweasel posted:

yeah, and you'd need to be a loving idiot to think nancy pelosi is a bipartisan decorum person. during the obama years she was always the much more hard-nosed no compromises dem leader, got the house to pass all sorts of liberal stuff that didn't pass the senate, and successfully denied republicans support on innumerable occasions by keeping her caucus united

like when you're bleeting that nancy pelosi is too bipartisan and interested in decorum you're so far into idiot fantasyland that you're not someone who can be reasoned with. the only way you could possibly get to such a stupid idea is if you'd internalized the republican "pelosi bad! woman! bad!" message but somehow missed that she was attacked as being much too liberal. every attack on her in the democratic caucus in the House comes from the right

I personally think her crowning achievement during the Obama years was whipping the Dem caucus in favor of cuts to social security + deferring medicare to age 67. It takes a super-strong Dem leader to get the party responsible for those two wildly popular programs to offer to destroy them on behalf of a Dem president!

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Conspiratiorist posted:

America is too large a country to make assumptions about a generalized collapse of the state, but the 2C+ world we're looking at by 2040 isn't compatible with the worldwide logistics chain that makes modern society possible.

At the very least you're going to have states like Florida that will be a total write off, with ensuing mass migrations pushing to the limit the economies and infrastructures of nearby regions already stretched thin by a permanent global recession.

no.

by 2040 you're going to have more severe hurricanes and water issues that force some very specific coastal areas in Florida to move and many others to spend some money on mitigation, but each individual hurricane hits a handful of coastal counties once a year, so one or two individual towns/counties will be abandoned or not rebuilt at a time.

this does not mean Florida gets abandoned or the end of logistics chains or other doomsday predictions, it means the end of cheap flood insurance coupled with increased grid redundancy and large amounts of money spent on maintenance in major cities to keep them livable.

2100 with no further technological progress and increased global denialism would definitely suck balls in the US and start going down the uninhabitability route in Bangladesh, but even that's a stretch

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The problem is that Dems have failed to help rural voters who now have sky-high suicide rates and lovely economic fortunes. On top of all that, a shitload of their rural hospitals closed in the last decade.

Rural voters will vote for people that help them.

https://twitter.com/unabanned/status/1060288892040024065

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Things are getting exciting...

https://twitter.com/patrickdmarley/status/1060301509584404480

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

If you think this is the future, your version of the Democratic Party is morally bankrupt and a waste of marginalized people's time. We have literal concentration camps for immigrants and Republicans are as we speak trying to kill Roe, social centrism is trash.

indeed

also:

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1060286024582975491

Condiv fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 8, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:stonk: that's horrifying tho, not gonna lie. Like I know it's good that we can convince them to vote D but... woof.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Who would you prefer as senator in WV, Joe Manchins, a republican, or this imaginary guy (Joe Manchin with better economics)?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

exploded mummy posted:

the difference is only about 15,000 so that could definitely move if its 650k outstanding

47 sounds a lot better than 46

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
You could also put one polling place max in each rural county far away from towns and then move them on the day of the election and give them 1 voting machine without a power cord. Sadly Dems lack the willpower and imagination necessary to disenfranchise rural voters in ways proven to work.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1060262791817453568

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Hellblazer187 posted:

Who would you prefer as senator in WV, Joe Manchins, a republican, or this imaginary guy (Joe Manchin with better economics)?

Joe Manchin is effectively a Republican so two of these choices are identical, and there is no imaginary alternative running against Joe Manchin that is not quite as poo poo.

I think Senate Dems in red states are hosed regardless of what I'd like them to do tho tbh.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Condiv posted:

no individual state is going to incentivize repopulating other states. it's against their own interests.

dems making rural states and areas more livable with infrastructure investments and such would help a lot, but that would require the dems to commit to government spending, which they're deathly terrified of

Phi230 posted:

It would be much easier and moral/ethical to abolish the senate and democratize our economy and political system than it would be to do basically the Indian Removal Act for white libs

I admitted it was dumb, but sometimes dumb works in this country.

Lightning Knight posted:

I feel like you are ignoring the first part of his statement, which was we have a catch 22 in democratic policy, and winning rural districts. Your response indicates you think the districts are winnable by pushing for policies thaey have resoundly rejected time and time again. I don't like it either, but i don't have a good answer. The hypotheical person being described sounds like bill loving clinton, and it makes me angry that we have to stoop to that level to even attempt to win.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

All it takes to paint 100% of democrats as gun-grabbers is for a single California or Hawaiian state rep to be pro-gun regulations. It doesn't matter one iota if the local dem opposes gun-regulations, they'll just be tarred by the words of another democrat and called a liar out to take the guns.

See 2016 & 2018 where a bunch of Democrats ran away from the national popularity of gun regulations and still didn't win the single issue gun voters. And it makes sense, if all you care about is guns, vote Republican regardless of what the Democrat says, because the Republicans will always be more in favor of whatever gun manufacturers want and the Democrats can't beat that history.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

One of the reasons i settled down in the lovely podunk I was born in TBH - someone's gonna have to be living here to vote for luxury gay space communism 50 years after the rest of the country has it.

The cheap property and low cost of living don't hurt either. Living around other leftists is overrated and frankly I'd probably just grow to resent them. Being exposed to the CHUD on full blast daily keeps my hate white hot and calmly focused.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Condiv posted:

i'm actually surprised the dems are as muted as they are about climate change

It makes sense to me, Climate Change is very much a losing proposition in rural parts of the country (they want their bigass trucks and coal and poo poo), and when you start to push it people get cold feet. Like to actually do something we will all have to make lifestyle sacrifices at some point and pay a lot to update to a greener grid. So sure, suburbanites and urban populations agree that it's scary and we should do something, but I feel like they'll just get spooked when that something is drafted into legislation. Unfortunately it's very low on the priority list as well.

I, sincerely, wish this was not the case.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Take power away how, exactly?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Which future? The ultimate big picture future of America? No. The short-term future we need to help marginalized people? It's the only one I see. Your alternate proposal was two guys who lost in purplish states so I'm not sure how it remotely offers a vision of winning much redder ones.

A huge swath of Americans are awful racist misogynists who reliably vote for those things, and unfortunately, our garbage constitution disproportionately empowers them. Just because we don't want that to be the case doesn't magically make it so.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The problem is that Dems have failed to help rural voters who now have sky-high suicide rates and lovely economic fortunes. On top of all that, a shitload of their rural hospitals closed in the last decade.

Rural voters will vote for people that help them.

https://twitter.com/unabanned/status/1060288892040024065

They vote for people who lie to them and never have any intention of helping them.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Scott Walker finally conceded. Thank god.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I feel like you are ignoring the first part of his statement, which was we have a catch 22 in democratic policy, and winning rural districts. Your response indicates you think the districts are winnable by pushing for policies thaey have resoundly rejected time and time again. I don't like it either, but i don't have a good answer. The hypotheical person being described sounds like bill loving clinton, and it makes me angry that we have to stoop to that level to even attempt to win.

I don't think I was clear before. Gun control is a life or death issue for millions of Americans. Reproductive health care is a life or death issue. Concentration camps for immigrants is a life or death issue.

As we speak, immigrants are in concentration camps. There is no acceptable centrist position on these issues. The centrist position is abolishing ICE.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

While I am unsure of it will matter, it’s nice to see the media openly showing this dude is a piece of poo poo and corrupt as gently caress.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Really, you could do much worse than Kemp when it comes to LGBT stuff. Much, much worse.

If he wins, then I guess we'll see if he'll do like Deal and side with the pro business republicans instead of the bible thumpers.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Your Taint posted:

Take power away how, exactly?

Remember North Carolina? Probably something similar to that where they limit appointments Evers can do, I'm guessing.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think I was clear before. Gun control is a life or death issue for millions of Americans. Reproductive health care is a life or death issue. Concentration camps for immigrants is a life or death issue.

As we speak, immigrants are in concentration camps. There is no acceptable centrist position on these issues. The centrist position is abolishing ICE.

Yes. Taking control of the Senate by running Dems who can win in those states, flaws and all, is the absolute best way to help all of those people, because once Dems control the Senate, they can pass legislation like voter rights, more statehoods, etc., that will then let them control the Senate much more reliably and therefore not need red state Dems.

I don't love the idea at all, but we live in a broken country with a broken system. Your counterproposal appears to be:

1) Dems permanently lose the Senate
2) ???
3) ???
4) ???

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Condiv posted:

Step one - national broadband network.

I know people who would be fine with living in a more rural setting but don't want to deal with poo poo internet access because it means disconnecting yourself from large chunks of popular culture and society.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Joe Manchin is effectively a Republican so two of these choices are identical, and there is no imaginary alternative running against Joe Manchin that is not quite as poo poo.

I think Senate Dems in red states are hosed regardless of what I'd like them to do tho tbh.

Nah, effectively a republican and actually a republican are not the same, even if both suck.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Z. Autobahn posted:

Yes. Taking control of the Senate by running Dems who can win in those states, flaws and all, is the absolute best way to help all of those people, because once Dems control the Senate, they can pass legislation like voter rights, more statehoods, etc., that will then let them control the Senate much more reliably and therefore not need red state Dems.

Which you will accomplish in a reasonable timescale given global warming... how?

Do you not recognize how ghoulish it is to decide that the issues of marginalized people - including poor white people! - are the ones that need sacrificing so that the Donnelly's of the world can keep their seats?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Eeyo posted:

It makes sense to me, Climate Change is very much a losing proposition in rural parts of the country (they want their bigass trucks and coal and poo poo), and when you start to push it people get cold feet. Like to actually do something we will all have to make lifestyle sacrifices at some point and pay a lot to update to a greener grid. So sure, suburbanites and urban populations agree that it's scary and we should do something, but I feel like they'll just get spooked when that something is drafted into legislation. Unfortunately it's very low on the priority list as well.

I, sincerely, wish this was not the case.

Which is of course ironic, since those rural districts are going to be destroyed by climate change while adaptation in cities will be much more feasible.

Invasive species, rainfall pattern changes, declining frost hours, increased peak temps, worsened storms, all will do more to devastate the economy of those rural districts more than the service oriented urban districts.

We might save the French Quarter, but we're not going to save all of Lafourche Parish (too late).

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't disagree, but I don't see many people winning with those beliefs at a national level.

There are so many important issues, I worry trying to carry them all will dilute any push on any given one.

Trabisnikof posted:

All it takes to paint 100% of democrats as gun-grabbers is for a single California or Hawaiian state rep to be pro-gun regulations. It doesn't matter one iota if the local dem opposes gun-regulations, they'll just be tarred by the words of another democrat and called a liar out to take the guns.

See 2016 & 2018 where a bunch of Democrats ran away from the national popularity of gun regulations and still didn't win the single issue gun voters. And it makes sense, if all you care about is guns, vote Republican regardless of what the Democrat says, because the Republicans will always be more in favor of whatever gun manufacturers want and the Democrats can't beat that history.

This is true of many issues, but I don't feel like we should let right wing framing decide how we pursue our goals.

Deified Data posted:

One of the reasons i settled down in the lovely podunk I was born in TBH - someone's gonna have to be living here to vote for luxury gay space communism 50 years after the rest of the country has it.

The cheap property and low cost of living don't hurt either. Living around other leftists is overrated and frankly I'd probably just grow to resent them. Being exposed to the CHUD on full blast daily keeps my hate white hot and calmly focused.

I grew up in a blood red area, and I just could not stay there. Good on you for holding your ground.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/JGreenblattADL/status/1060291909825032193

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

captainblastum posted:

Nah, effectively a republican and actually a republican are not the same, even if both suck.

i'm not sure the distinction is worthwhile when we're talking about a guy who would like to rip away jus soli and voted an unqualified rapist onto the supreme court

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Which you will accomplish in a reasonable timescale given global warming... how?

Do you not recognize how ghoulish it is to decide that the issues of marginalized people - including poor white people! - are the ones that need sacrificing so that the Donnelly's of the world can keep their seats?

Yes, it is extremely ghoulish. We live in a deeply ghoulish country and a huge percentage of our countrymen are literal awful ghouls. My proposal is, essentially, tricking those ghouls into looking the other way exactly long enough to disempower them. What's your proposal?