Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

rscott posted:

The national vote margin is shaping up to be a lot closer than what the polls were saying, I wonder why. 538s final margin was like D 9.2 and it's sitting around 4.7 right now. There's still a lot of votes to count on the west coast and stuff, I get that, but I don't think it's going to move much over 6, if that. Given that context, the number of seats the Democrats picked up seems to be pretty good.

The pre-election polls were generic congressional ballots. The dynamic is similar to where Generic Republican was soundly beating Obama in 11/12 but he had head-to-head advantages against the field. Involving actual people changes things.

At least, I think? I'll never forgive the GOP for nominating Romney instead of Pawlenty, depriving us of our first chance to test the theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Worrying about handing Trump 2020 on a platter by being obstructionists seems premature to me. He had constant meltdowns when they controlled every branch. Let's see what kind of wild poo poo he does to self destruct once the actual full court press hits him.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Oxxidation posted:

see you in 2020!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I queued a week for this by the way, don't do garbage like this.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That worries me too. The pundits on MSNBC last night were pointing out that Democrats had a tough path to walk in the next few years: holding Trump accountable while fulfilling their promises to voters on health care and other issues. Too much Benghazi-like investigations and it could look to voters like Democrats were throwing everything at the wall to see what might stick.

I don't know what the answer is, honestly. I'm excited about Schiff, Nadler and Waters taking control of committees, but I hope they pick their battles carefully.

Class war, with conscripts drafted by the promise of Medicare for All, free education and student loan forgiveness, and housing and food as a human right.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Z. Autobahn posted:

*Every* party promises to materially help them, but only one party promises they *won't* help black/immigrant/gay people. That's the one poor whites turn out for.

No, the Republicans, like all conservative political parties, basically run on "you're in the overclass and it's great, the other guys want to get rid of these classes or are the party of the underclass, do you want to lose your privilege?" They run on fear of loss and always have.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The demographics in 2020 will be oh so slightly more favored for Dems compared to this year and 2 years ago and considering by how slimly Trump won by that alone might be enough.

It’s going to be up to the candidate we put up though. So please no Liz Warren, I love her and believe she’d do a great job but she’s as inspiring as a sack of doorknobs.

tbh I think the understated factor in all the analysis of yesterday is 'candidate personality'. I'd have to dive deeper to be confident, but I think pretty consistently the overperformers where the candidates with strong, vibrant personalities (regardless of where they fell on the left/center/right scale) and the underperformers were the boring old fucks.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Do some of you honestly think that a poor person being told "hey you deserve healthcare, you can get a guaranteed job, you deserve dignity and not to be squeezed and commodified" is going to reject that message because the person saying it is racist and the message belongs to the political party that passed the Civil Rights Act?

Because if so...jeeeeeeeeez

They're gonna reject becuase Fox News will frame it as killing jobs (taxes for healthcare and infrastructure) and hurting them. Do you not remember how Fox News spent 4 years talking about the ACA Death Panels? It wasn't a nuanced discussion about why it would fail to control spiraling prescription prices or unable to stop the hospital consolidation. They weren't talking about how it was market based solution that was dependent on the cooperation of local states and buy-in from insurers who hated the mild limits on profit. It was all "Death Panels! They're gonna make you wait in line like in CANADA! Socialized medicine! Job killing taxes!"

The information bubble makes it hard to get the details of poo poo through to the target audience.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Z. Autobahn posted:

*Every* party promises to materially help them, but only one party promises they *won't* help black/immigrant/gay people. That's the one poor whites turn out for.

Poor whites, same as most poor people, mostly just don't turn out.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

All of us

https://twitter.com/Gender_Pirate/status/1060247367218327554

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

No, the Republicans, like all conservative political parties, basically run on "you're in the overclass and it's great, the other guys want to get rid of these classes or are the party of the underclass, do you want to lose your privilege?" They run on fear of loss and always have.

did... did you see Trump's 2016 campaign? His whole thing was that America has been ruined, America has fallen apart, America has abandoned jobs, America has gone to hell, etc. He didn't run on a fear of loss, he ran on a STATE of loss (thanks, Obama) and promised to fix it. Which is basically what you're saying.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Zas posted:

the most immediate problem to the United States will be mass migration from the global south and the resulting inflammation of our already intense white nationalist problem

yeah that part is significantly more immediate than the rest of this poo poo buuuuut by then we'll be something like 30% Hispanic and 15% black so it's hard to say what exactly that looks like

also, guess who'll be building those massive seawalls

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trump ran on Making America Great Again, that's not a fear of loss message.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Bonn1eGreer/status/1060330811302576129

https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/1060259716209799168

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I mean tbqh in the face of global warming, yeah it kinda should be. Electoralism isn't producing progress quick enough for how much damage to the environment is occurring.

^ get the gently caress in :getin:

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Looks like MoveOn is spinning up nationwide protests for tomorrow night in regards to Mueller now being vulnerable.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

African Americans dumped the political party that freed them from slavery because they weren't responsive to their material needs anymore. If you think poor whites who don't vote, which is the majority of them btw are going to turn on someone that promises to materially help them because they belong to the party that passed the Civil Rights Act 50 years ago...lol. Ok buddy.

Basically I've got a bunch of people telling me that racists will vote their racism before their material interests which is 100% provably not true.

I mean that's literally what happened with President Obama and Hillary Clinton.

They like the policies, they don't want to share if black and latinos will see any benefit from it. Why do you think Newt Gingrich was so successful with welfare queen rhetoric?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1060332691143491584

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Grape posted:

On this topic I've been thinking.
One the one hand, social collapse in other countries leading to mass refugees is definitely gonna favor the right wing.
But outright natural disaster stuff will require the country to be much more centralized with relief and planning, really a communal matter. And this favors the left. It does not bode well for America's libertarian brain worms.

If we can fight off the fascist poo poo I think there are silver linings in facing off with this crap.

I'm kind of all over the place on it -- that is to say I don't disagree with you, and I may be comparing Apples to Oranges, but after living through 9/11 I'm not personally thrilled on counting the country to come together after or in the face of disaster.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Phi230 posted:

Very good functional democracy

Also lmao if Gillum wins because a ton of ppl invalidated voter suppression through force of will

Gillum conceded. I don't think this dream of yours will happen.

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008
Just got an event message from my local MoveOn for action following Sessions being fired (or lol, "asked to resign"). Anyone else get this? Will there be turnout for it?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

The pre-election polls were generic congressional ballots. The dynamic is similar to where Generic Republican was soundly beating Obama in 11/12 but he had head-to-head advantages against the field. Involving actual people changes things.

At least, I think? I'll never forgive the GOP for nominating Romney instead of Pawlenty, depriving us of our first chance to test the theory.

I can see that for one nationwide race but shouldn't the aggregate vote track pretty closely to the GCB? 4% is a pretty huge margin.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
Sooooo is there a reason that neither this thread nor the Russia thread are discussing the fact that Jeff Sessions resigned earlier today at the behest of Trump, potentially putting the Mueller probe in danger?

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1060256623439110146

Because that's a thing that happened.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1060332691143491584?s=19

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1060331883077296128

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Brony Car posted:

I believe a politician conceding doesn't actually change anything electorally. Its merely a symbolic gesture of good governance.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean tbqh in the face of global warming, yeah it kinda should be. Electoralism isn't producing progress quick enough for how much damage to the environment is occurring.

^ get the gently caress in :getin:

There's a lot of charts and graphs assailing electoralism in this article: https://medium.com/@andrewdobbs/no-voting-democrat-is-not-harm-reduction-8cda28633858

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

I'm not optimistic about Florida because the deficit is 30k and afaik the most a recount has ever flipped, in recent years, is 1.5k. Really loving praying for Arizona though...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BlueberryCanary posted:

Sooooo is there a reason that neither this thread nor the Russia thread are discussing the fact that Jeff Sessions resigned earlier today at the behest of Trump, potentially putting the Mueller probe in danger?

We already discussed it, but its hard to know the fallout yet. Its also not as dire as it would have been before, since House Dems can continue the investigation

Also, this is why we're talking about Beto so much
https://twitter.com/annehelen/status/1060287098052329472

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BlueberryCanary posted:

It was discussed in both, and you are free to continue discussing it. I don't really see a path for Democrats to effectively block him from killing the investigation and I doubt there's going to be mass turnout to protect Mueller's position.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Such a strong and tough man.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Brony Car posted:

Conceded doesn't actually have any concrete standing, iirc someone did it a few years ago and then unconceded and won.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i don't know who Lady Seven is but i nominate her for president based on her attire

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

BlueberryCanary posted:

Go back to when it was announced and scroll and see it being discussed

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Trump could be ordering CNN reporters into a gulag and they'd air a panel with Corey Lewandowski and Donna Brazile to discuss it.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Grape posted:

Why the hell are you trying to compare now to the Bronze Age.

Also, real talk, if you were a farmer, poo poo was probably better without some rear end in a castle demanding tribute once Ramses III settled the Sea People in Canaan. The archaeology of so-called Greek Dark Age sites is just people doing the same farming poo poo they were doing before, without some rear end taking their poo poo while sitting on their butt in a palace.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:yikes: That's hosed up, what incident are they referring to?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It’s amazing that we broke the gerrymander as well as we did with just a 6ish point win. 37 seats would have been seen as a good result with a 9 point win.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

lol, donald mad

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Trabisnikof posted:

Trump ran on Making America Great Again, that's not a fear of loss message.

Yeah it's almost like if neither party offers anyone anything materially they become ripe for a fascist strongman who promises them a return to the glory days and perpetual membership in the overclass.

Anyway you could write hundreds of pages on this, just read The Reactionary Mind which is a great book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

African Americans dumped the political party that freed them from slavery because they weren't responsive to their material needs anymore. If you think poor whites who don't vote, which is the majority of them btw are going to turn on someone that promises to materially help them because they belong to the party that passed the Civil Rights Act 50 years ago...lol. Ok buddy.

Basically I've got a bunch of people telling me that racists will vote their racism before their material interests which is 100% provably not true.

You're making an interesting historical point. I'm not going to criticize that as your explanation is plausible and I'm not otherwise educated on the subject.

However there is a large body of empirical evidence on how people very consistently vote against their material interests.

http://nathanwoods1.tripod.com/PDF/sears_etal.pdf

Self-Interest vs Symbolic Interest in Policy Attitudes and Presidential Voting

This tendency was well illustrated in 2016 when farmers went strongly for Trump and Republicans, even though Trump's anti-immigration rhetoric (and then policy) was objectively and obviously terrible for their business interests.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 8, 2018