Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hasn't the only 'nerd' that's won been Cochran?

Sophie too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

and adam

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I never saw his season, but Bob Crowley's gotta be considered a nerd, right?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

I never saw his season, but Bob Crowley's gotta be considered a nerd, right?

That wasn't the character archetype he filled though.

He was the kind old man who doesn't entirely understand what's going on and became Sugar's father-figure stand in.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Adam was class president and prom king is high school. I don't think he qualifies as a nerd in the way that most people see it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think Hannah probably fit that casting slot better.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zesty posted:

I think Hannah probably fit that casting slot better.

wasn't Zeke the superfan/nerd in that season? or are these two separate archetypes now (sometimes)?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

wasn't Zeke the superfan/nerd in that season? or are these two separate archetypes now (sometimes)?

Zeke changed pretty quickly from "likable nerd/superfan" into "overconfident power-tripper" once he hit the merge and gained some power.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the entire millenial tribe were all dorks.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the entire millenial tribe were all dorks.

Even the pretty ones. Michelle believes in dragons, lol.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spatula City posted:

Even the pretty ones. Michelle believes in dragons, lol.

Michelle is my bae and I'm sad she never made enough of an impact to get a return invite :(

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Vernacular posted:

Zeke changed pretty quickly from "likable nerd/superfan" into "overconfident power-tripper" once he hit the merge and gained some power.

Still. They try and cast certain archtypes. Zeke probably fit the Nerd there.

There seems to be a SuperfanNerd-Neurotic split in terms of casting archtypes the past few seasons though. Did it start with Aubry?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Well whoever said Gabby was making it to the end was on the money I guess.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh did it start already? Better duck out of the thread for a few hours.

Zesty posted:

Pony: Gabby

:)

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Angelina's the worst but she's pretty dead on with the Christian vote. This whole fake act with Elizabeth is gross too.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
She strikes me as a very entitled person.

Of course her husband is in the military.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
why did every David also vote out Elizabeth

either way I am v stoked to see Angelina get her inevitable comeuppance

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thank god. Elizabeth was terribly annoying

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Gabby was laying it on pretty thick there at tribal. She needs to back off a tad. I guess maybe she thought people would see that as her normal temperament.

Hoping that 3/3 six are able to hang together. Seeing them pull this off would be fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, its possible that IS Gabby's normal temperament from what we've seen.

I don't mind Elizabeth going since she's in the very small group of people I don't like. But the fact that 2 of the others in Angelina and Dan were teased left me feeling disappointed. Alec's the only other of the bunch i have any ill feelings towards. So like, if Angelina and Dan are targets soon then I'm pretty happy with the way things are going.

But that vote scares me a little. When Gabby was saying "lets stick together, do a show of force, and see if we can flip a vote for Angelina" I thought that was a totally ok game plan. The fact that they apparently backed off that and just went with "we're gonna vote the Goliath way but maybe 6 of them will flip... maybe later" feels too passive. I got the feeling Goliath will stick together long enough to pick off the Davids and then take care of Angelina easily since she's such a transparent player. Which would put Dan in a great position to win with his idols. And I'm not sure if Alec, Allison, and Mike would stick their necks out to save Christian if there isn't the easy "Elizabeth was what we all agreed to" excuse. I don't know.

I'm being pessimistic as I often am come merge time in fear of a pagonging. Its possible that Strike Force will be a thing and that's not a terrible 6. Its possible the Brochachos will protect Christian a bit too. Its possible I'm fine with Christian going as much as I like the guy. But this is that time of the season I worry we get like 3-4 weeks in a row with easy, David votes and its real boring as we wait to see if Dan can blow his hand.

Man do I not like Dan and Angelina. Angelina's fall isn't even gonna be fun because she's too convinced her own awesome gameplay and manipulation and righteousness and now she just feels wronged and a victim. I'm rambling. Angelina bad. Dan not awesome either.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I think for Elizabeth to stay she needed to do work before tribal. Either try to convince Angelina to flip on Dan or blow up Angelina’s game at camp. It’s possible she didn’t have enough time when Angelina talked to her.

However, if Gabby convinced her to wait until tribal to do this that’s potentially really great jury management on Gabby’s side. Stay true to your 6 but have all the Davids that go out remembering you “helping” them. Not bad play at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think if there was any chance of flipping a vote it would have had to come with Elisabeth blowing up Angelina's spot before Tribal.

But the fact that all the Davids voted for Elizabeth and Gabby said something like "she's just trying to help us find an opening" makes me think it was more of a case of the Davids not wanting to take the gamble (especially Carl and the ones with Goliath allies) and Elizabeth just making a hail mary play. Or just not enough time to work it out. Maybe Gabby was working the jury a little, and if so good for her. But I'm inclined to take it at face value that she just got upset by how flagrant and condescending Goliath was being and Elisabeth didn't have the time, momentum, or relationships to make it work.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The entire episode I was just tired of getting teased.

-It's Christian because he's a threat.
-It's Dan because he has two idols.
-It's Alec because he's playing both sides.
-It's Elizabeth because she's getting on people's nerves.
-It's Angelina because she's slime.

I drat near skipped to the end just so I could see how they arrived at the conclusion they did.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wow Dan is... really playing badly now that he has nowhere to hide. Immediately telling Kara he has two idols? I was half-convinced he was going to tell Alec, too. And then immediately getting twitchy and laser-focused as soon as his name was thrown out. Plus his immunity challenge performance was hilarious. "Just keep telling yourself how awesome you are."

Not sure who's gonna emerge out of the wildfire. The supposed cross-tribal six has some potential, but I can't see Alison sticking around for that long (unless she's getting carried to the end, Chelsea/Angela style). There are too many big names outside of those six (John, Angelina, Kara, Davie) for that to hold.

7-5 Goliath majority, but I doubt it'll be an easy vote next time. If the cross-tribal wants to stick together, that means Carl/Davie goes next, unless they flip now and take out one of John/Angelina/Kara/Dan.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
All that and it was unanimous? Alrighty.

Angelina is such a hot mess and I love it. She just cannot stop shooting herself in the foot. I want to see her limp to the final TC just to see her get destroyed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Allison actually is kind of emerging as one of my favorites (to win). I mean, its too early really to say that about anyone but she seems like she's in a very good position. She was a part of every conversation this episode. She seems well liked and connected. She's in the Strike Force cross tribe thing. We saw her connect with Gabby last episode. She identified Dan as a threat. I could see her being a serious long term threat even though she's been a very below radar player. Which is actually a benefit since people who play hard out of the gate usually end up in the sort of situations Dan and Angelina are in.

Johnny Calories seems like he's playing well but the fact that he's outside that Strike Force thing and seemingly close with Dan, Kara, and Angelina seems really bad for him. Maybe he'll survive past Dan and Angelina but he seems like he's in a bad position.

Carl and Davie definitely seem in danger but I also think Christian might still be. Angelina might be hesitant to push him again after the mess of this week but she doesn't really seem like someone who does quick self evaluation and learning from mistakes. And even though Christian's got a lot of Goliath's sorta watching his back its gonna be tough to protect him too much if people are pointing out his obvious threat. Gabby also might have drawn some attention from the Council stuff but I imagine she'll mostly be dismissed as an emotional player until after a couple of the male threats are gone. And there's the Strike Force thing. So yeah, Carl and Davie seem shaky.

Kara seems like an okish player but she's with the wrong people and in a lot of cases I could see her getting taken out to weaken Dan. With Dan's idols being known, though, I think someone is gonna try and orchestrate a blindside on him sooner than later. If that happens Kara might just survive to the end as the floater. But she could also fall victim to a split vote/idol scenario.

Angelina's obviously kind of dead in the water as of now but I think she's such a transparently poor player that she's not really a major threat. So she could skate by. And way too many people know Dan has an idol for him to be in a good position even if he wasn't kind of a head case.

If there's anyone else in the game I've forgotten they exist. My best guess is that Strike Force vote out another David (Carl/Davie) to make sure the numbers are solid and then make a move on Dan. But Angelina might have spooked people or gotten spooked enough to shake stuff up and the Davids could get antsy. And Dan seems like he's kind of any moment away from saying the thing that implodes his game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Earlier in the thread I said Angelina was like Parvati without the social awareness. I would now like to revise this description to she's like Parvati if she was a total moron.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think I can see the Parvati comparison in that she WANTS to be someone like Parv and THINKS she is. Charming, manipulative, guile. The kind of player who can pull off a scheme and smile in your face so well that you put aside your reservations about it. Or as Angelina would put it, "flirt out of speeding tickets and get discounts at restaurants."

Angelina just clearly doesn't have those skills she thinks she has. Its why the jacket thing was such a debacle (and why she even attempted such a misguided scheme) and why everyone immediately saw through her working Elizabeth's jury vote. She's very, very transparent and not terribly self aware.

Or, as you said, socially aware. Like, even without the Elizabeth thing it was super bad how she couldn't read the body language on her pitch to vote Christian out. She basically shushed someone.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 8, 2018

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Allison and Mike definitely seem like they're in the best position. Alec to a lesser degree, though I am halfway expecting him to blow up his game at any moment. But if Strike Force continues to be a thing, those three can just try to guide the vote toward Carl/Davey/Angelina (she's just not going to not sabotage her game) in whatever order makes sense over the next 3 episodes before shifting their attention to the 3 power goliaths (probably Dan, but my gut is also telling me that John is going to be the first significant blindside this season).

Christian being insisted upon as the next target would complicate things, and they could decide he's not worth the trouble, but it would probably make more sense to split up the power couple instead if that were to happen.

I know Jeff was pretty hard on this season but I dunno, seems pretty good so far.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's a big Angelina interview about the pre-merge, Jeremy and her two post-swap TCs if people want to read it here.

I like Angelina. I think she fumbles a lot on the execution and ends up thinking five steps ahead of where she should be, but she's got some smarts on her, and if nothing else she's entertaining. She definitely needs to refine her charisma though.

Alison's slow emergence the past few episodes has been interesting. I don't think she'll win, but she (and Alec) might have more longevity than I gave them credit for. I'm still waiting for something to blow up in Alec/Dan's faces. Man, between them and Jeremy, there's a lot of big male ego here, and none of them are from the one person you might think would have it pre-season (John).

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Listening to Rob's podcast, they discussed Gabby at the merge feast for a little, wondering why that got airtime and if the Survivors missed a clue.

So, Gabby mentions the napkin-holders and can't find anything IN them, but wasn't there a shot or two of how they all had that circular symbol, and then a shot of the merge feast sign which also had that symbol on it? I'm wondering if they could have gotten an idol/advantage by pulling the symbol out of the sign (similar to China idols) but I have no way to pull the episode back up to see if it's visibly raised or if there's a perceptible crack around the circumference or anything.

In my search for screenshots, though, I was reminded of Fan Favorite Dan during the challenge. "Keep telling yourself how awesome you are. You are the man."

Also, this gem:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Someone brought up the idea of it being a positive reinforcement technique (since he used to be fat), which made it switch from jockheaded to kinda adorable.

He's still playing terribly though. I can't decide if I want him to stick around just for how haplessly he's playing, or want him to get booted because I think with every passing day on the island Kara is getting closer to getting human skinned.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Propaganda Machine posted:

Listening to Rob's podcast, they discussed Gabby at the merge feast for a little, wondering why that got airtime and if the Survivors missed a clue.

So, Gabby mentions the napkin-holders and can't find anything IN them, but wasn't there a shot or two of how they all had that circular symbol, and then a shot of the merge feast sign which also had that symbol on it? I'm wondering if they could have gotten an idol/advantage by pulling the symbol out of the sign (similar to China idols) but I have no way to pull the episode back up to see if it's visibly raised or if there's a perceptible crack around the circumference or anything.

Well this is the sign from the merge and the logo was also on the napkin holders...

But, I don't know if there was really anything to it. Gabby seems to be getting a very favorable edit and has been getting a lot of random confessionals about things that don't seem to matter much. But I dunno if you can read into it much other than she's a hot nerdy chick that can deliver a reasonable narrative in a confessional.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'm rooting for them but I don't see how the 3-3 alliance is viable against the safety of Pagonging. Maybe the 3 Goliaths are slick enough to protect the 3 Davids long enough to make a move.

Gabby didn't get the dodo music so she was on to something or it looked like a favorable strategic move. Could always be the narrator edit.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't think Gabby has ever gotten Dodo music. She's gotten "Camera zooms in on her from a distance while others talk about her" but that's not necessarily a game killer.

I'd say we should track Dodo music throughout the season but then I'm only a couple steps away from reinventing edgic.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well this is the sign from the merge and the logo was also on the napkin holders...

But, I don't know if there was really anything to it. Gabby seems to be getting a very favorable edit and has been getting a lot of random confessionals about things that don't seem to matter much. But I dunno if you can read into it much other than she's a hot nerdy chick that can deliver a reasonable narrative in a confessional.

Hey thanks! Yeah, there goes that idea, but now it won't be bugging me so that much is positive :v:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

That makes me think there's a palm tree like that near the beach at camp and the "..." before the ! is leading to where you need to dig.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Poque posted:

That makes me think there's a palm tree like that near the beach at camp and the "..." before the ! is leading to where you need to dig.

That was my thought as well. Meaning it still could be found later. They set up that Gabby saw it this episode, then pay it off down the line when she goes "hey wait, that kind of looks like..."

Edit: Thinking about it, if that is an idol, I wonder if she actually found it right after the merge feast but they're holding that footage for a future episode. Having her find it this episode would require them to do more talking heads about why she isn't using her idol on the obvious boots.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 8, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
According to exit press, Angelina approached Elizabeth almost right before Tribal Council (such that when she was doing her confessional, they were 'by the way, we're about to go to Tribal'). So I guess she really had no chance to try to blow things up before it.

That could have either been very calculated by Angelina, or just a byproduct of the last minute vote switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'm rooting for them but I don't see how the 3-3 alliance is viable against the safety of Pagonging. Maybe the 3 Goliaths are slick enough to protect the 3 Davids long enough to make a move.

Gabby didn't get the dodo music so she was on to something or it looked like a favorable strategic move. Could always be the narrator edit.

How is 6 not a safe number with 12 remaining? Even if Carl and Mikey and the 4 other Goliaths co-ordinated their votes all they'd be able to do is force rocks