Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Alexeythegreat posted:

No, it's gotta be this

yeah it was this one. thanks! though i did miss yours when it was running so now i'm gonna check it out as well!

rip and tear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Excellent, many thanks for all the recommendations! I didn't need all that productivity anyway.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Azran posted:

Has anyone made an Until Dawn LP? Can't find anything on the master list.

There was one attempt that was shortlived here.

And I hope it's appropriate to point out that I recently started my own playthrough of it here, if you don't mind that it's an ongoing playthrough and not a finished one.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Jamesman posted:

There was one attempt that was shortlived here.

And I hope it's appropriate to point out that I recently started my own playthrough of it here, if you don't mind that it's an ongoing playthrough and not a finished one.

I don't mind at all, thanks!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've really enjoyed the blind LP of Symphony of the Night by Natural20; are there any other reasonably recent good LPs with the same dynamic of a blind run helped out by a knowledgeable co-commentator? I've seen the classic Metroid Primes and Dark Souls, could use something from the recent months.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Blood Sally posted:

Looking for a thread I thought I'd bookmarked but can no longer find. It was one of the first nuDoom LPs on the subforum. It was a pretty casual affair but I shamefully can't remember the name of the OP. I do remember that Lazyfire was one of the cocommentators.

There's only one LP of any Doom game that is worth your time
https://lparchive.org/Doom/

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

anilEhilated posted:

I've really enjoyed the blind LP of Symphony of the Night by Natural20; are there any other reasonably recent good LPs with the same dynamic of a blind run helped out by a knowledgeable co-commentator? I've seen the classic Metroid Primes and Dark Souls, could use something from the recent months.
FaerieFortune has done blind LPs of both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask with knowledgeable co-commentators.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any horror games LP with subtitles preferably? Egomaniac's Siren LPs are perfect. Looking for something along these lines, even if not as good. Could be voiced too, but I prefer subtitles.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mystic Stylez posted:

Any horror games LP with subtitles preferably? Egomaniac's Siren LPs are perfect. Looking for something along these lines, even if not as good. Could be voiced too, but I prefer subtitles.

Lone Survivor by Bacter is incredible!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Seconding Bacter's Lone Survivor, and also recommending JohnofOrdo3's LP of Little Nightmares, which is also excellent.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Mystic Stylez posted:

Soma by davidspackage is good:
https://lparchive.org/SOMA/

Also I did one of Shadow Tower Abyss:
https://lparchive.org/Shadow-Tower-Abyss/

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,does anyone know of a good VLP of..any of the Legacy of Kain games? Preferably Blood Omen 1, but I'm not picky.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Assuming you know about VoidBurger's Silent Hill series?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

So,does anyone know of a good VLP of..any of the Legacy of Kain games? Preferably Blood Omen 1, but I'm not picky.
Alexeythegreat went through the entire series in 2015-2016. At this point BO1 looks comparatively rough but it's still a good watch.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

NGDBSS posted:

Alexeythegreat went through the entire series in 2015-2016. At this point BO1 looks comparatively rough but it's still a good watch.

I have decided to redo BO1 at some point (I can't listen to that poo poo by now), but first I need to complete two other LPs I have, which are both on hiatus because being a lawyer is awful

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 2, 2018

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Blood Omen 2 is kinda hard to get through, but that's because the game itself is boring and sucks

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

So besides all the wonderful chill LPs in the OP, are there any LPs of games that are more like podcasts than anything else? I'm needing something to put on in the background while I work.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

FluxFaun posted:

So besides all the wonderful chill LPs in the OP, are there any LPs of games that are more like podcasts than anything else? I'm needing something to put on in the background while I work.

Well, it's not really an LP as such but it may be up your alley: donoteat's Cities: Skylines series.

https://www.youtube.com/user/donoteat01

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I completely forgot about that series, this is perfect, thank you.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Stonekeep done by davidspackage is a nice dungeon crawler style game. It's pretty slow paced and calm with long videos that are low-key and relaxing without being tedious and dull. I remember it being a great podcast style LP you could keep open in another window while getting stuff done.

Grim Fandango the Motion Picture is an old LP of the game done before the remakes came out. It's a VLP with no commentary, but Vexacion painstakingly edited out all the loading screens, back tracking, menu wrangling, and all the other poo poo to make it just one long, uninterrupted display of the game and all its great voice-work and music. Only four videos, but each of them covers each of the games four acts.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 8, 2018

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

gently caress yes, thanks

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FluxFaun posted:

I was thinkin' it might time to update the OP's list, too. Geop did that up 4 years ago...

So:
Anyone have suggestions for "timeless" LPs that should perhaps be in a general recommendation list?

EDIT: and if you could give the reason why they're worth checking out, that'd be super rad!!

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 8, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Blood Sally posted:

I was thinkin' it might time to update the OP's list, too. Geop did that up 4 years ago...

So:
Anyone have suggestions for "timeless" LPs that should perhaps be in a general recommendation list?

Off the top of my head? Geneforge by POOL IS CLOSED and Lone Survivor by Bacter.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This one was awhile ago, but DrKill's Ocarina of Time Super Wrong and Majora's Mask Super Wrong LPs are fantastic.
More recently, Restaurant Empire 1 by Enchanted Hat is pretty amazing.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
In no particular order:
The two Didja Redo LPs not currently in the OP are equally perfect.
The "original" Grimrock LP by Iron Chitlin isn't quite "timeless" but it would be great for showing them youngsters what a good LP from back in the day sounded like :v: .
Inferior's current Dragon Age LP recently finished Origins and is hilarious through-out.
Speedball playing Civ V is pretty great.
perochialjoe playing Dishonored is rather alien and can barely be called an LP, but it's something everyone should experience.
The Grim Fandango "movie" that was just mentioned a few posts above is a great presentation of a great game.
For the person who's crazy about mechanics and optimization: Melth's Fire Emblem. Civ2 works too, but FE is nicer.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Haven't gotten a chance to watch many recent LPs, so a couple of these are dating back to 2015:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time blind run by Faerie Fortune, with ChaosArgate co-commentating and several guests. Chill and upbeat look at a classic game from new eyes.

Major/Minor by Blarghalt. Insane game made by a single, very dramatic individual. The plot is nonsensical and stupid. The characters substitute neon for personality. Blarghalt's player stand-in, a creature from hell with a gear for a face, gives the game the respect it deserves.

Drake of the 99 Dragons by ChorpSaway, with co-commentators. This is widely seen as one of the worst games of all time. It sure is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blood Sally posted:

So:

Copy/paste my original rec of Dirge of Cerberus by The Dark Id from the OP.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I keep remerbering LPs I've forgotten...

Sunless Sea by Black Wombat takes a tedious game with an amazing world and presents it very well.

Nethack by Lobster Maneuver is to my knowledge the best roguelike LP for a player who doesn't play roguelikes. Just the right amount of informative detail, with great pacing.

Princess Maker 2 by SynthOrange is a classic, though it's been a long time since I've read it so I'm not sure it holds up.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Quovak's Chrono Trigger LP gets my vote, for its in-depth analysis and the absurd amount of effort put into completing a low-level run.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
haha, man, I suppose I should also ask if people could give a reason for their recommendation as well. I'm familiar with some of the LPs and could probably bumble my way through them, but if you're recommending one, it's best if you could give the reason why it's worth checking it out. y'know: sell it. like the blurbs in the OP posts.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh, fine, make us do all the work why don't you!

Ocarina of Time Super Wrong and Majora's Mask Super Wrong by DoctorKill are guided tours to just how badly broken the games can be. In OoT, DrKill clears all the adult temples as a child! And all the child temples as an adult! In MM, he does every temple without using the mask you're really supposed to be using for it, for example doing Great Bay Temple without using Zora form. Along the way he just wreaks havoc with game logic in general, all while a variety of guest commentators get really, really confused. And then he explains how it all works, and they're slightly less confused. If you've ever watched a speedrun of one of these games and wondered what the heck was going on, these LPs are an excellent way to learn. Plus they show off an awful lot of glitches that have no real use in speedrunning but are really cool/funny/bizarre.

Restaurant Empire by Enchanted Hat is a fairly standard "business tycoon" kind of game, that made two rather critical mistakes. First, the authors have no idea whatsoever how cooking works, leading to crepes that feature a pint of cinnamon apiece, drinks with no liquid in them, and water that costs $10/liter. Second, they made the deeply regrettable mistake of having easily-customizable assets. And then Enchanted Hat decided to leave the interior decoration decisions up to the audience.

If that leaves you wanting more, Restaurant Empire 2 features more of the same, except even moreso, as well as a plot straight out of a soap opera. Can Armand LaBoeuf get any more dickish?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FluxFaun posted:

If you run out of other ideas, you can always watch Far Lands Or Bust. This is the only Minecraft LP I will *ever* recommend and there's a good reason for that.

https://farlandsorbust.com/

It's a series that has been running since 2011, they're at episode 714 now, and the idea is that they're playing some old version of Minecraft, where the world becomes a glitchy mess if you walk out more than 12500km from your point of origin. He's walking towards these glitched Far Lands for like half an hour every week. Just walking. And sometimes sailing seas or climbing over hills. But mostly walking.

He's doing so to raise money for charity. He currently got a Guinness record for the longest journey made in Minecraft, and as it stands now, he's expected to still be walking by the year 2030. 12500 km is VERY FAR to walk.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 8, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII by The Dark Id - The Final Fantasy series hits its stupidest, and The Dark Id hits it right back, taking the piss out what has to be the worst video game Square has ever produced in a hilarious semi-narrative SSLP. You'll be loving this poo poo.

The Syphon Filter Series by Lunethex, with Coolguye, TheLastRoboKy, and Jade Star - A non-lethal taser becomes the deadliest weapon in the world in the hands of Gabriel Logan in this bonkers look at an equally bonkers PS1/PSP American James Bond spy thriller LP.

Devil's Third by ChaosArgate, with Jobbo_Fett and Artix - Calling it "Hideki Itagaki's Wild Ride" is grossly underselling it. A bald, tattooed Russian man with the Power of Breakfast is pulled from his private cell in LITERALLY GUANTANAMO BAY by the US Government to hunt down and kill the members of his old terrorist squad after they launch an attack against the entire world. And even that description is underselling it.

Undertale by ProfessorProf - Prof takes a beyond thorough look at one the best selling and most beloved indie games of all time, Toby Foxy's Undertale.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

Devil's Third by ChaosArgate, with Jobbo_Fett and Artix - Calling it "Hideki Itagaki's Wild Ride" is grossly underselling it. A bald, tattooed Russian man with the Power of Breakfast is pulled from his private cell in LITERALLY GUANTANAMO BAY by the US Government to hunt down and kill the members of his old terrorist squad after they launch an attack against the entire world. And even that description is underselling it.

He's also an accomplished drummer!

Dead to Rights by Slowbeef and Diabetus is a work of art, and so is the pre-sequel Dead to Rights: Retribution

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Restaurant Empire by Enchanted Hat is a fairly standard "business tycoon" kind of game, that made two rather critical mistakes. First, the authors have no idea whatsoever how cooking works, leading to crepes that feature a pint of cinnamon apiece, drinks with no liquid in them, and water that costs $10/liter. Second, they made the deeply regrettable mistake of having easily-customizable assets. And then Enchanted Hat decided to leave the interior decoration decisions up to the audience.

If that leaves you wanting more, Restaurant Empire 2 features more of the same, except even moreso, as well as a plot straight out of a soap opera. Can Armand LaBoeuf get any more dickish?

Seconded to both. These are great and weird little games, and EH does a fantastic job with them. Armand Crossing the Alps still gives me the giggles, as does the "private table" in the first game's Italian Restaurant.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Lone Survivor by Bacter.

Seconded as well.

Lone Survivor is survival horror set in a world of Cronenberg body horror mixed with Lynchian mindscrew, where one of the most important things you can do is set up a self-care routine for you and your pet plant. Bacter does a great job narrating via subtitle, and commenting on questions raised by the plot and nature of the game. He also goes through the different endings after the first playthrough, letting us see what was behind all the doors and decisions the protagonist turned away from at the beginning.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The X-Com games, UFO Defense and Terror From the Deep, by GuavaMoment.

https://lparchive.org/X-COM-UFO-Defense/

https://lparchive.org/X-COM-Terror-from-the-Deep/

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm gonna recommend both of Jerusalem's LPs.

A Scotsman in Egypt tells a phenomenal story in a game mostly devoid of any real narrative beyond one or two things, spinning a tale over 3 generations of a family and just what they can do when they put their minds to it.

San Andreas is pretty obviously GTA, but his writing does a lot to add character to CJ and everyone around him, as well as making things feel less rushed than the usual narrative.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

SelenicMartian's brand on LP is about showing off weird janky messes, and nothing is better to describe that oeuvre than Dementia or the Riho Futaba Series. The first is an adventure game that is such complete nonsense that it embodied why the genre died in the 90s. The second is a bunch of shovelware surrounding a fictional Japanese model that happened to spawn more well-known pieces like Oneechanbara.

Meanwhile I should also recommend Alexeythegreat's entire playthrough of the Legacy of Kain games. The actual gameplay never rises above "okay" and frequently ends up at "dodgy", but you're not there for that. Rather you should care because the writing is excellent (much of it by Amy Hennig) and the voice acting is top-notch. (Defiance was one of Tony Jay's last projects and he still sells being a manipulative eldritch monster so well.) First came Blood Omen, featuring Kain as an urbane vampire fighting even darker forces. Then we had Soul Reaver and Soul Reaver 2, which expanded the scope and brought the gnostic themes into focus. Blood Omen 2 was a perplexing misstep, having none of the writing chops and little of the voice talent of the series, but if you want to boggle at something dumb then go ahead. And finally there was Defiance, which had some loose ends remaining but which otherwise was a return to form.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FluxFaun posted:

MAges and Murderdads is a series about the Infinity Engine games and their successors (BG, Planescape...). It really is more of a podcast, since it consists of two players comparing their experiences as different characters, with background footage being more or less purely illustrative. It is good, relaxed and thoughtful.
The creators are goons, but I don't know if they have an active thread, so here's a playlist instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8y9qwO_iI&list=PLVcfOocLDkUzbmK5SuMdQ5drxIX7BMteN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

thanks for all the recommendations, friends. sometimes I don't like to listen to my audiobooks or podcasts because I'm worried that I'll get too involved in my work and miss something important.