Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FluxFaun posted:

I hate services that make it stupid hard for you to cancel. I'm low on money atm so I was like "I'll just cancel my sirius xm service that'll be fine" and I literally had to flat out say "no, look, I literally am having trouble affording rent, I don't want a discounted rate. no, I don't want a month of free service. no, I just want to cancel." like six times before they finally closed my account. I was gonna start it back up when I have more money but honestly gently caress that now.

That's basically why I won't use Comcast now. Seriously whichever poo poo nugget with an mba decided this was a good idea is doing the devil's work.

Their poo poo constantly broke but every time I called to get them to fix it I had to listen to a sales pitch first. I finally had to say right off the bat that I don't want a land line or tv I just want the internet. That didn't help much so I told them when I moved all the reasons I hated them. Needless to say it was unreasonably difficult to cancel and they kept trying to sell me poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I've always said we should just go for the most insane option possible and elect Nixon's corpse.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

fizzymercy posted:

Sirius got me to extend my contract twice. I have issues being very firm with a no on anything subscription based. I still pay for a gym membership, Chandler Bing style. They always talk me into poo poo I don't need with absolute ease.

Speaking of, I need to go pay for my Pandora membership so I don't lose the 4000 hours of EDM I "downloaded" that I can't live without.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's basically why I won't use Comcast now. Seriously whichever poo poo nugget with an mba decided this was a good idea is doing the devil's work.

Their poo poo constantly broke but every time I called to get them to fix it I had to listen to a sales pitch first. I finally had to say right off the bat that I don't want a land line or tv I just want the internet. That didn't help much so I told them when I moved all the reasons I hated them. Needless to say it was unreasonably difficult to cancel and they kept trying to sell me poo poo.

It's stupid because if they make it easy for me to cancel, when I do have money again I'd be happy to use them again. Hence why when I have extra funds I always head on back to netflix and hulu, because they make it fuckin' easy. if they make it difficult then I make it a point to never use them again just out of sheer spite.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've never had comcast and only recently ever been in an area where comcast is even an option, but worked for them once.

They are AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLL

and I can only assume it's policy to hire customer service reps in non-comcast areas bc holy poo poo

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FluxFaun posted:

It's stupid because if they make it easy for me to cancel, when I do have money again I'd be happy to use them again. Hence why when I have extra funds I always head on back to netflix and hulu, because they make it fuckin' easy. if they make it difficult then I make it a point to never use them again just out of sheer spite.

Yup. It's even worse if the service is poo poo. Verizon isnt a nice company by any stretch but I've almost never had problems and getting them to fix things isn't painful to do. No idea how hard it is to cancel but I'll probably find out some day.

Comcast is like somebody tried to make the worst company possible then went "no, not bad enough."

Rule #1 should always be "don't be a dick to the customer" but with how big American companies increasingly are they just don't give a poo poo. Where I had Comcast you could get Comcast or dial-up. Woohoo. Are there any competitors to sirius?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've never had comcast and only recently ever been in an area where comcast is even an option, but worked for them once.

They are AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLL

and I can only assume it's policy to hire customer service reps in non-comcast areas bc holy poo poo

I work with a dude that worked for Comcast. His opinion of the company is about the same. They're just hideous.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

This is probably a regular one, but why are so many podcasts, ones that have been running for years, have such lovely balancing?

There are just so many sins that constantly get repeated.
Like:
Terrible balancing between speakers, where 1 person is too low while another is too loud.
In some cases, background music that's so loud it muddles what people are saying.
And of course, musical zingers that are just way too loud.

Why is it so incredibly hard to just normalize audio tracks, and compress them to a regular volume?

Also I really wish podcast apps could scan for volume and adjust for it when you go from a quiet to a loud podcast.
(Musicbee and probably other media players can scan media for loudness, and account for it. I wish Pocket casts could too.)

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Or it could be the dollop where everything is way too loving quiet and to turn it up loud enough you start hearing the noise in their XLR cables. I stopped listening to it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I'm trying to listen to an Astronomy Cast right now, but I swear it sounds like they are walking around the room while talking, to the point where a single sentence can go from being too loud, to too hard to hear.

It's inane.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Audio where it's 100% left channel only instead of being proper mono. How can you not notice that while editing?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've seen that on major news outlets like CNN. It must be whatever editing software all the pros use. Like they forgot to switch a setting somewhere.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Audio where it's 100% left channel only instead of being proper mono. How can you not notice that while editing?

It’s extremely easy to ignore basic things while editing. Easier than people think. You can go over it a 10 times and think “yeah! This is perfect” export it and wham, aw gently caress. I forgot to turn back on a file or forgot to fix the levels or didn’t fade in properly.

Sucks. That’s my pet peeve

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CelticPredator posted:

It’s extremely easy to ignore basic things while editing. Easier than people think. You can go over it a 10 times and think “yeah! This is perfect” export it and wham, aw gently caress. I forgot to turn back on a file or forgot to fix the levels or didn’t fade in properly.

Even so, don't you give the final version a quick listen to make sure you didn't do something like that?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The problem is you miss things for whatever reason. Usually, you’ll know before you upload it. But still. Unless you have a team designed to triple check everything, it’s easy to skip over tiny details that don’t seem important right away that actually are huge.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Rule #1 should always be "don't be a dick to the customer" but with how big American companies increasingly are they just don't give a poo poo. Where I had Comcast you could get Comcast or dial-up. Woohoo. Are there any competitors to sirius?

Yeah, it seems like getting new customers to sign up is their one and only priority. It's like nobody ever heard of repeat business.

You're a new customer? Sign up now and get a whole year free plus all these free premium channels.

You've been a subscriber for years and want to ask about a discount? gently caress You.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Christmas. Sorry, but not everyone loves Christmas. Does every single advert everywhere have to be happy families? I know it is first world problem and all that, but I don't get gifts for Christmas. No party invites either. Not going to be any special anything. Christmas means feeling broken brained and lonely. Not a great time of year for me.
When I grew up, Christmas meant Granny saves up money so we have totally awesome food for a few days, with lots of stuff we normally can't afford. Gifts weren't really a thing. Most years there would be some much needed clothes, and one single book. Because I loved reading. But other than that, we didn't do much. couldn't afford the normal trappings of Christmas, that simple. I didn't feel like I was missing out at the time. Classic case of being dirt poor, but still growing up in a loving environment.
I didn't really learn about Christmas gifts until my sisters started having children, so I send something to my nieces and nephew every year. No, I cannot go see them. That would end with most of my father's side of the family refusing to attend. And I don't want to rob my nieces and nephews of their cousins etc because Auntie BattyKiara is unfit company according to them. After all, she is divorced, and divorce is ALWAYS the woman's fault because if wives are submissive they will be treated like queens. Divorced women are by default contaminated failures who must be shunned. Yes, this is what my daddy's siblings believe.
Also had to make a clean break with all my friends after my nasty divorce. The price of making sure my ex-husband doesn't find me.

OK, I'll stop whining now.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I think that has veered out of "first-world problem" and straight into "problem." :catstare:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

walrusman posted:

I think that has veered out of "first-world problem" and straight into "problem." :catstare:

Very agreed. No presents is maybe first world, effectively being disowned and apparently being stalked are yikes

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
hey holiday inn, never loving call me on the room phone unless there's an emergency. I feel a tremendous urge to piss all over your sheets because you woke me up to ask me how my stay was going (twice, i let the first one ring out and they just called 5 minutes later).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

BattyKiara posted:

Christmas. Sorry, but not everyone loves Christmas. Does every single advert everywhere have to be happy families? I know it is first world problem and all that, but I don't get gifts for Christmas. No party invites either. Not going to be any special anything. Christmas means feeling broken brained and lonely. Not a great time of year for me.
When I grew up, Christmas meant Granny saves up money so we have totally awesome food for a few days, with lots of stuff we normally can't afford. Gifts weren't really a thing. Most years there would be some much needed clothes, and one single book. Because I loved reading. But other than that, we didn't do much. couldn't afford the normal trappings of Christmas, that simple. I didn't feel like I was missing out at the time. Classic case of being dirt poor, but still growing up in a loving environment.
I didn't really learn about Christmas gifts until my sisters started having children, so I send something to my nieces and nephew every year. No, I cannot go see them. That would end with most of my father's side of the family refusing to attend. And I don't want to rob my nieces and nephews of their cousins etc because Auntie BattyKiara is unfit company according to them. After all, she is divorced, and divorce is ALWAYS the woman's fault because if wives are submissive they will be treated like queens. Divorced women are by default contaminated failures who must be shunned. Yes, this is what my daddy's siblings believe.
Also had to make a clean break with all my friends after my nasty divorce. The price of making sure my ex-husband doesn't find me.

OK, I'll stop whining now.

:yeah: and also Christmas sucks poo poo because the concept of Santa tells kids that if they didnt get everything they wanted, it's because they're Bad People. So little Pnurtis asks for all the cool expensive poo poo expecting the snow wizard to poof it out not realizing his parents are literally killing themselves working to afford it all.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
What is probably the most heart breaking thing I've ever seen was a woman I used to work with telling her kid they couldn't afford to have Christmas that year.

Christmas starts in like loving August now and just gets longer every year. I despise the holiday for some of the same reasons as BattyKiara there so yeah, I feel you. It's a materialistic wreck of a holiday that led to people getting trampled to death as people run to get discounted big screen TVs.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My neighbors were in between jobs and things were loving tight but we have this idea in this country that we don't want anyone to know we're in need of help, so they never told anyone. I would have gladly given them gift cards or even cash or gently caress, gone shopping for their kids for Xmas. An old friend from high school was in search of a job, and I had to ask her several times what she needed, and she finally told me that they needed groceries more than anything. Easy enough to send a gift card, loving impossible if she had never told me.

I try to drop stuff every year at the Xmas Angel program but I wonder if that stuff really makes it to the kids.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm a jew and loving love christmas, screw the haters.

It's legit the most wonderful time of the year. Get into the spirit you goons.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:thermidor:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Most of my adult Christmases involved working lovely jobs that paid garbage but helped provide good holiday seasons experiences to everybody else.

Then on the actual holidays I went home and drank alone.

I mean if you want to celebrate it then, you know, you do you but understand that Christmas is not a happy time for some people.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

hey holiday inn, never loving call me on the room phone unless there's an emergency. I feel a tremendous urge to piss all over your sheets because you woke me up to ask me how my stay was going (twice, i let the first one ring out and they just called 5 minutes later).

Companies constantly begging for feedback/reviews is the worst. I've bought poo poo on Amazon and before it's even arrived I get emails saying HEY WHAT DID YOU THINK OF [ITEM] WHY DON'T YOU LEAVE A REVIEW PLEASE MARKET OUR PRODUCT FOR US.

Or last time I got an oil change the dealership emailed me like 4 loving times asking for me to rate my experience. If I have something to say I will leave feedback. Otherwise assume my experience was fine. Leave me alone.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Literally all Christmas music except "Oi to the World" (the No Doubt version) is horrible, and of course no one plays "Oi to the World" anywhere.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Most of my adult Christmases involved working lovely jobs that paid garbage but helped provide good holiday seasons experiences to everybody else.

Then on the actual holidays I went home and drank alone.

I mean if you want to celebrate it then, you know, you do you but understand that Christmas is not a happy time for some people.

Yeah thanks for assuming that I've had any kind of different experience? This is literally my first adult christmas that I can expect to not be working into the wee hours of christmas day, but somehow through all of it I still liked christmas. As somebody who grew up, you know, having no christmas? Because my family does not acknowledge christ? It's fun. There are pretty lights. You have an excuse to make good with friends and loved ones you've fallen out with. All the big water cooler movies come out and you get another year of screaming about jedis and superheroes and oscarbait.

I'd sympathize if you had a personal reason to hate the holidays, but fuckin lol at trying to guilt me with the struggle of being a holiday wage slave.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yes please give me, a stranger on the internet, a list of all your past experiences with christmas so I may judge whether or not you have my PERMISSION to continue your distaste. I am a cool and sane human being.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Christmas actually works for me, I get that feeling, I feel closer to people, it makes me let go of dumb poo poo...

I also like getting and giving gifts. I wish I hated Christmas but I do not deep down. I get mad annoyed when the day after Halloween poo poo starts going up.

So insulting to satan.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
I watched Conan the Barbarian again and I think I realised what it was that I like about certain older films, everything isn't so dam fast and constantly cutting the camera is steady. That and for some reason I enjoy the choreography more. Maybe I'm getting old or something though. So my pet peeve is modern movies are too dang fast.

Tarantula has a new favorite as of 06:04 on Nov 9, 2018

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tarantula posted:

I watched Conan the Barbarian again and I think I realised what it was that I like about certain older films, everything isn't so dam fast and constantly cutting the camera is steady. That and for some reason I enjoy the choreography more. Maybe I'm getting old or something though. So my pet peeve is modern movies are too dang fast.

No you're not wrong, I often find the number and speed of cuts to be disorienting. That also cuts down my enjoyment of choreography like you mentioned, such as a fight scene where I can't quite tell where people are and where they're moving because they keep doing fancy things. Show me a setting and let me watch things play out from informative angles.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think this same thing is why I prefer musicals and comedies, they tend to have more restrained editing.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

YeahTubaMike posted:

Literally all Christmas music except "Oi to the World" (the No Doubt version) is horrible, and of course no one plays "Oi to the World" anywhere.

W.T.F?

https://saxmas.robotcousin.com/

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Some people like Christmas and some people don’t. Both are equally valid.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

No you're not wrong, I often find the number and speed of cuts to be disorienting. That also cuts down my enjoyment of choreography like you mentioned, such as a fight scene where I can't quite tell where people are and where they're moving because they keep doing fancy things. Show me a setting and let me watch things play out from informative angles.

I feel the same way about sound in modern films. I can't tell what's going on because everyone is whispering while things explode.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

loving Christ how does that happen.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Tarantula posted:

Brawnfire posted:

rapid-fire cuts in action movies are used a lot to cover up an actor's awful combat choreography

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

The longer I watch this gif the more I feel like getting a seizure.