Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Rimworld is basically Hell-Circus Prison Architect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Synthbuttrange posted:

At this point wouldnt you rather be playing Prison Architect?

But I can't remove the prisoners' kidneys and replace them with egg-laying probiscii in Prison Architect...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I actually own Prison Architect and it's a well made game but it doesn't ring the same bells for me like, my fanatical army of hard-eyed amazon Cthulhu cultists demolishing invaders in brutal close quarter battle, having a huge drink fest and lots of hot gay tentacle sex afterwards

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rimworld with a prison population is essentially like prison architect only instead of trying to simply prevent escapes you are also trying to prevent unilateral admission.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
What's the best way to deal with undesirable pawns, short of modding out the mood hits for banishment etc.? I don't need these little shits starting fires in my stockpiles or fights with my pacifist crafter. Do I just turn them into surgical practice and eat the mood hit when they accidentally die?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Banish them and eat the mood hit. If you've got a decent setup going you can take a bit of a mood penalty for a while. Alternatively, wait for a party or something where everyone's happy THEN banish the fucker.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Can you do full limb transplants?

"Welcome to jail. If you decide to join us, you get your leg put back on"

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Does the, "arrest the bad colonist then leave the prison door open so they run off map" trick no longer work?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Does the prisoner mod let you make them fight to defend the colony? If not will they at least fight if attacked by invaders? I’m thinking a prison yard occupying the entrance but I haven’t used the mod before.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sten Freak posted:

Does the prisoner mod let you make them fight to defend the colony? If not will they at least fight if attacked by invaders? I’m thinking a prison yard occupying the entrance but I haven’t used the mod before.

Nope. But a penal legion of some kind does sound fun.

Nothing could possibly go wrong with arming a bunch of nearly-suicidal pirates to go fight against their former allies.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i bought prison architect because of the similar-to-rimworld art style and i think i put like 35 minutes in to it

meh

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
About difficulty and Storytellers: as far as I know both ladies end up throwing scenarios designed to kill you, the only difference is how long do they take to reach the end state. The other guy will eventually kill you by randomly finding a combination of things you cannot deal with.

So how does difficulty factor in? Smaller raids? Shorter events?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I actually own Prison Architect and it's a well made game but it doesn't ring the same bells for me like, my fanatical army of hard-eyed amazon Cthulhu cultists demolishing invaders in brutal close quarter battle, having a huge drink fest and lots of hot gay tentacle sex afterwards

speaking of hot gay tentacle sex and/or brutal CQB

you might think you have an unbeatable trapline but eventually, something is going to climb or slither or ooze over the piles of corpses :black101:

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018
Jesus, those Shoggoths look genuinely unsettling. D:

Flesh Forge posted:

Aint no thang, just a 20 hive infestation :dukedog:

This might be a weird thing to get fixated on given everything else that's going on in that screenshot, but how come your beds look so nice? The different sheet colours to vanilla look great. Is that part of the Cthulhu mod or something else?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm a cat owner in real life and sometimes I get so frustrated at the poo poo they break, noise they make, and trouble they cause I feel like they're the worst examples of their species and couldn't be more difficult if they tried.

Thank you Rimworld for reminding me that at least my cats aren't secret alcoholics and that I only find out about it after they've both been diagnosed with liver cirrhosis.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zirak posted:

Jesus, those Shoggoths look genuinely unsettling. D:

This might be a weird thing to get fixated on given everything else that's going on in that screenshot, but how come your beds look so nice? The different sheet colours to vanilla look great. Is that part of the Cthulhu mod or something else?

Those are from Real Beds, as someone else mentioned earlier it's pretty neat to be able to make thrumbo fur beds :3:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1416581883

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Bramble posted:

Thank you Rimworld for reminding me that at least my cats aren't secret alcoholics and that I only find out about it after they've both been diagnosed with liver cirrhosis.
Oh hey, it really is like Dwarf Fortress after all.

Dwarf Fortress changelog posted:

* Stopped cats from dying of alcohol poisoning after walking over damp tavern floors and cleaning themselves (reduced effect)

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

One of my colonists had a catatonic breakdown while in prison. They won't actually put him in his bed even though the option is there. If I keep playing, dude will die of malnutrition while he detoxes from psychite. What do?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Try making the prison bed a medical bed, too?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Try making the prison bed a medical bed, too?

That did it. Thanks.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I had a thrumbo saunter into my map, have a heart attack from artery blockage, and die.

Thanks for the horn!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Those are from Real Beds, as someone else mentioned earlier it's pretty neat to be able to make thrumbo fur beds :3:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1416581883

I always thought it odd we’ve got textiles yet beds never required any. What are the sheets and mattress made of?!

You can then make beds without sheets for a fireproof prison, but they’ve got like 60% rest effectiveness.

Side note, I’ve not tried human leather sheets and if that freaks normal people out and makes cannibals/bloodlust happy.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I got my first 2 thrumbo because they decided to have a stroll through my maze trap and triggered every single trap.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Thrumbos are a menace, so that's good

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dragongem posted:

I had a thrumbo saunter into my map, have a heart attack from artery blockage, and die.

Thanks for the horn!

A Thrombo. :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HelloSailorSign posted:

You can then make beds without sheets for a fireproof prison, but they’ve got like 60% rest effectiveness.

You can already do that with stone beds to much the same effect.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You can already do that with stone beds to much the same effect.

Of course, but that's something I never quite liked either - a bed made entirely out of marble could be quite comfy depending on the mattress and sheets.

Unless the sheets were made of marble

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Is there any pattern to storyteller events? I'm on Randy Medium and I swear every time he only sends misfortune in groups of 3.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Dragongem posted:

Thanks for the horn!

On my Tyrant Kings map I had 2 thrumbos wander into my Rex paddock.

The Rexes hadn't been fed in a couple of days.

Thrumbos are pretty bad-rear end but not when they have 4+ Rexes ganging on them each. Their horns went on to be the ceremonial weapons of our chief and war leader, who slaughtered literally hundreds of people with them.

BTW I just started a Snake Clan that started with 2 Titanoboas. Buddy, Titanoboas are bad motherfuckers. They can kill and eat drat near anything with no problems. A pair of stegosaurus wandered on to the map and I decided I'd try to tame them the next morning.

The next morning they were just bloodstains. One of my snakes had a single scratch on it.

Boa eggs hatch in like 3 days. :getin:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had a one man raid nab the dead Thrumbo I forgot to bring inside and haul rear end off the map before my dudes could get to him :mad: You kill stealing shithead

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

metasynthetic posted:

Is there any pattern to storyteller events? I'm on Randy Medium and I swear every time he only sends misfortune in groups of 3.

Some of them have cooldowns but that's all, otherwise they're all completely random.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
there is a pattern to that stuff on not-randy storytellers, but randy, yeah, that's just the dice bein' dice

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Cassandra has pretty set timings for difficult events where you're guaranteed x per y period of time and phoebe is just x/2 per y period. Randy I believe still has some cooldown but it is vastly lower and generally the frequency of events with Randy is much higher overall. The actual formulas for events are extremely not random.

to be clear, what event you get is random, but the frequency is regular with non-randy story tellers

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 9, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm playing on Randy merciless right now and aside from my colonists having a breakdown every other day because they didn't eat lunch at a table it seems about the same as lower difficulties. I was hoping it would be more common events.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Not more common, but more bigger.

<threatScale>2.2</threatScale>

edit: well also a tiny bit more raids

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you want more raids or whatever other incident you can actually force them via the scenario editor on whatever schedule you want, or multiple schedules, in any number and combination. There is soooooooooo much poo poo exposed in the scenario editor.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Right now I'm screwing around with permanent volcanic winter and Climate Cycle++. I keep hoping that I get chickens at some point so I can try and mutate some Cadbury bunnies I mean chickenrabbits and have a sustainable source of protein to make luxury meals. I've completely exhausted all the surface resources on my map and my caravan teams are basically a roving band of hunters. I try and tame whatever appears on the encounter maps, then kill and butcher it if I can't and return home with food. It's not very sustainable since I'm running out of places to visit that are a reasonable distance away.

I do have an absolute fuckload of corn thanks to a good indoor harvest and raiding a trading post that had like 1500 of it. So at least I'm not going to starve.

I had to make an outdoor room with a sun lamp because it was always so dark that my colonists never stopped complaining about either being dark or not being outside (in the currently -40F in the middle of summer weather) and at merciless they absolutely lose their minds if their day is slightly inconvenient.

I think I might screw around more with the scenario editor next game.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Anyone know if theres a mod that adds hauling hysteresis? I know there used to be one back in like A16, but I realised it's why my kitchens are running so ineffeciently (Dudes grab 5 meat and veg from the rimfridge, 2 seperate haulers run backwards and forwards refreshing 5 meat and veg at a time, rather than waiting till they can grab a stack of 60 meat and veg)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Rimworld Search Agency incorporated a stockpile % management system, so you can edit individual stockpiles to only be added as a hauling job when they fall below whatever % you set it at.

I usually set my "next to stove" spots at 25%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

Rimworld Search Agency incorporated a stockpile % management system, so you can edit individual stockpiles to only be added as a hauling job when they fall below whatever % you set it at.

I usually set my "next to stove" spots at 25%.

That's pretty nifty, does it play well with colony manager work orders?