Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Personally I’m not a fan of joe manchin and him being a republican but we all have to make sacrifices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

RuanGacho posted:

USPOL had zero posts on the day of one of the terrorist attacks a few weeks back.

that's because it was against democrats

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Lightning Knight posted:

Color me shocked that the day after the midterms, there are many posts in a thread about US Politics.

Also probably 20 pages of this thread are people posting about posting, so maybe if you stopped posting about posting, the thread wouldn't be moving so fast lmao.

Hey, how come you get to... oh, right. Mod.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the blue wave working hard to squeeze tax returns out of Trump. It sucks that it's potentially a huge sideliner for progress on issues like healthcare and climate change, but hopefully it's also helping to sideline the whole dismantling every decent policy that is currently enacted thing.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lightning Knight posted:

Color me shocked that the day after the midterms, there are many posts in a thread about US Politics.

Also probably 20 pages of this thread are people posting about posting, so maybe if you stopped posting about posting, the thread wouldn't be moving so fast lmao.

*farts loudly while obviously leaning left and looking around to see if anyone notices* "Lookit this powermad mod tellin' us reg'lar threadshitters how to post! Impeach 'im ah say!" *hacks and coughs awkwardly for several beats, spits* "IM. PEACH!"

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

As someone who read but never posted in the Trump threads, this combo thread is worse.

Posting new threads in D&D used to be encouraged, can someone just make a new trump thread :shrug:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
why would tax returns matter? tax fraud dressed up is an accountant and paperwork. empower the IRS if you want poo poo to change

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Apparently, Bill Nelson's bidding for a recount.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Grognan posted:

why would tax returns matter? tax fraud dressed up is an accountant and paperwork. empower the IRS if you want poo poo to change

Its highly suspected that he was involved in a lot of Russian money laundering

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

PainterofCrap posted:

Apparently, Bill Nelson's bidding for a recount.

Per Miami Herald, recounts are mandatory for amounts less than .5% and the 30k vote difference is lower than that.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article221336575.html

It'll start Monday, but shouldn't take long.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

SourKraut posted:

It is, moreso the southern extent that gets toward Queen Creek than the northern half. One of my favorite "Gilbert is poo poo" stories is how there was an ideal section of land near the 202 at Higley that the Higley and gilbert school districts wanted to build a new campus on. The land had been zoned for commercial use, but there'd never really been any interest from commercial developers to develop it. So when the school district expressed interest, the town heavily pushed back and asked them not to, saying they wanted to leave it open for commercial interests.

They then ultimately turned around, and approved a charter school operator to go ahead and build a campus on the site, without any discussion or option with the public districts about getting first choice. For those who don't know, Gilbert has a population of approximately 240,000 against the likes of Phoenix's 1.6 million, Mesa's 460,000, etc., and yet Gilbert has by far the largest number of charter schools within its boundaries. They've also gutted the public schools at the same time. It's a shithole.

Surprise is where hope and old people go to die. And it also has a ton of charters. The limited green space around city hall just got zoned for more loving retail other than a desert trail area which it would be so loving suited for, I hate this loving city.

Especially come elections when half the ballot is Republicans running unopposed.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Grognan posted:

A look at Trump's financials might reveal shady business dealings and worse (to him) might shake his perception as a successful billionaire. If he ends reporting a massive loss it's great for his taxes but terrible for his image.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

this is a good av

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

KiteAuraan posted:

Surprise is where hope and old people go to die. And it also has a ton of charters. The limited green space around city hall just got zoned for more loving retail other than a desert trail area which it would be so loving suited for, I hate this loving city.

Especially come elections when half the ballot is Republicans running unopposed.

Is Surprise worse than Glendale?

I only know about Glendale because of how hosed up their situation is with the Coyotes NHL team.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

RuanGacho posted:

USPOL had zero posts on the day of one of the terrorist attacks a few weeks back.

To be fair it was probably Trump-inspired and thus belonged in the Trump thread.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ahhahhahahahaha

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Every time I'm reminded of Schumer's bizarre political-family fanfiction it always throws me for a loop that this is the guy who's supposed to be leading the Senate resistance.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

I didn't think I could hate schumer more. This is all awful and hopefully a joke. Who the gently caress cares about SAT scores

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My name is Chuck Schumer and I am so center I demand you correctly center my political alignment relative to my jackass cohorts.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Grognan posted:

Tax returns are incredibly important. They tell you how much someone makes and from what sources, and what types of deductions they declare and for what purpose. The more complex someone's finances are, the more leads a fraud investigator gets from looking at the tax return.

Sure, having competent accountants and lawyers can help someone bend the rules a lot. But we're talking about Donald loving Trump here, who surrounded himself with incompetent scumlord idiots like Michael Cohen for decades. So there is a good chance that he hosed up in some major ways when hiding his crimes. And his tax returns would be the starting point of any investigation that wants to look into his personal finances.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Propaganda Hour posted:

I didn't think I could hate schumer more. This is all awful and hopefully a joke. Who the gently caress cares about SAT scores

People who live in Martha's Vineyard?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Propaganda Hour posted:

I was thinking today about Alpha House, the show that was loosely based on Schumer about a bunch of Republicans reps that lived like slobs in the same house. And Schumer did an interview showing off how they really did live like slobs, actually worse than the show!

“The most dean heroes place in DC is between Schumer and a camera” remains true.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

on the other hand, it totally makes sense that schumer would be the type of person who would brag about acing the SAT

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

"you lot complaining about the merged threads is just making us want to do it more!"

The combined thread is basically unreadable now. Just my 2c

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm sure that Minnesota has some chuddier areas though, like California does.

I don't live in Minnesota anymore, but my family still does in southern Minnesota, and lemme tell you outside of the Twin Cities metro and maybe Duluth Minnesota is full of chuds.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

"you lot complaining about the merged threads is just making us want to do it more!"

The combined thread is basically unreadable now. Just my 2c

I've been modding Trump thread for 6 months; this is essentially Trump thread in all but name; by the end of it as *gasp* the scope expanded to contain everything that Trump touches with his tiny orange fingers which as President of the United States means essentially everything

I mean half the reason why we closed the old USPOL thread is 11 people were loving murdered in Pittsburgh and there was not a single post about it in that thread. It got no traffic/posts.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I've been modding Trump thread for 6 months; this is essentially Trump thread in all but name; by the end of it as *gasp* the scope expanded to contain everything that Trump touches with his tiny orange fingers which as President of the United States means essentially everything

I mean half the reason why we closed the old USPOL thread is 11 people were loving murdered in Pittsburgh and there was not a single post about it in that thread. It got no traffic/posts.

Just don't let the USPOL folks bully you out of your tweet dumps. As someone who doesn't dig through twitter/tries to limit the amount I expose myself to the insanity that is the new politics, I highly appreciated the occasional dump of fresh articles.

They're also also an excellent way to trip of derails going too long without bringing out the PROBES by giving us new/relevant stuff to talk about.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Psychepath posted:

I wonder what kind of ticking clock there is on Fallon when Seth Meyers does decent political commentary, basically nightly, and gets so much more viewership from young people on youtube.

Yeah I get hits for Meyers much more than Fallon on youtube. Fallon is a bootlicker after the hair ruffling as far as I'm concerned.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

God I miss Harry Reid. What a world.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Alkydere posted:

Just don't let the USPOL folks bully you out of your tweet dumps.
This was never a thing as far as I know, excepting when they were OT for the Trump thread.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

Is Surprise worse than Glendale?

I only know about Glendale because of how hosed up their situation is with the Coyotes NHL team.

It is a bedroom community for Luke Air Force Base, contains the entirety of Sun City Grand within its voting district, has multiple other senior communities and basically exists as a bedroom community for Phoenix proper, which is a good 45 minutes away by car.

It has no mass transit, even by Phoenix standards and is literally Hell. Equal to Queen Creek, having lived in both, and way less lovely than my time in Glendale.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

KiteAuraan posted:

Yeah, I lived for several years in Avondale, which was basically “hey we have 90,000 people but let’s run the city like it’s 900!” Goodyear isn’t much better. I remember Surprise being this really small little city and then it rapidly expanded and seemed to not be able to handle it. “What, critical infrastructure isn’t being developed? Well gently caress you! We need a spring training stadium!” - Surprise/Goodyear/Glendale/etc.

I just remembered another stupid Gilbert thing. Even though it’s 240k people they don’t want it to be a city and don’t like that it’s a “town”. What’s the town hall preferred name/title? “Gilbert - A Service Organization”

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

Just don't let the USPOL folks bully you out of your tweet dumps.

Generally the PMs I get from posters are fairly congenial except in the case of white sauce who a) had his avatar changed by a poster to a picture of an rear end in a top hat b) complained when I probated him while waiting for the queue so that it wasn't a picture of an rear end in a top hat (for free, mind you) since he was posting up a storm and that av was not work safe and c) sent me goatse when I gave him a 6er the other day.

Some people.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

This was never a thing as far as I know, excepting when they were OT for the Trump thread.

I just remember that someone had been bitching about them enough for PPJ to get in trouble (enough trouble he got "rewarded" with being a mod in the end).

Generally the PMs I get from posters are fairly congenial except in the case of white sauce who a) had his avatar changed by a poster to a picture of an rear end in a top hat b) complained when I probated him while waiting for the queue so that it wasn't a picture of an rear end in a top hat (for free, mind you) since he was posting up a storm and that av was not work safe and c) sent me goatse when I gave him a 6er the other day.

Some people.

Fair enough. I guess I just read too much into that minor drama.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Some people.

Oh don't take it personally he does that to everybody.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Aurubin posted:

God I miss Harry Reid. What a world.

Going from the guy who trolled Romney, to the guy who invited Bibi to stump for Trump was one hell of a fall.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I lived for several years in Avondale, which was basically “hey we have 90,000 people but let’s run the city like it’s 900!” Goodyear isn’t much better. I remember Surprise being this really small little city and then it rapidly expanded and seemed to not be able to handle it. “What, critical infrastructure isn’t being developed? Well gently caress you! We need a spring training stadium!” - Surprise/Goodyear/Glendale/etc.

I just remembered another stupid Gilbert thing. Even though it’s 240k people they don’t want it to be a city and don’t like that it’s a “town”. What’s the town hall preferred name/title? “Gilbert - A Service Organization”

Surprise pegged all their pre-recession development to tax income from construction and expanding retail. This was, in retrospect, a very bad idea. I think they finally got their finances in order, but I don't really care because I intend to leave for either Tempe or Seattle soon enough.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Alkydere posted:

I just remember that someone had been bitching about them enough for PPJ to get in trouble (enough trouble he got "rewarded" with being a mod in the end).

Fair enough. I guess I just read too much into that minor drama.
Like I said, excepting when they were OT for the Trump thread, which they used to be to a much greater degree.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Some people.

lol he was loving pissed at me for giving him a 6er, enough to cry about it in CSPAM.

So if AZ Senate is toast for Dems, where does that leave the overall picture? Are we down to 46-54 yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Didn't see these:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/jeff-sessionss-firing-matthew-whitakers-rise-and-attorney-generals-role-mueller-investigation

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1060374677447720962

Some people.

lol. Avatar sounds appropriate IMO