Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

rodbeard posted:

What loving game were you playing that had good writing and character? Basically everyone had a single scene and never showed up again. I tried the game because somebody said it was inspired by Earthbound. Somehow it has less charm and worse graphics and game play than a 20 year old game it was ripping it's style from.

Undertale has a fairly small number of characters that pop up over and over throughout the game. Are you sure you're thinking of the right game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Undertale is exactly like Homestuck in that everyone who tries it either loving loves it or bounces off it, and no-one in the first category has ever been able to satisfactorily explain to anyone in the second category what it is that they like so much about it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

rodbeard posted:

What loving game were you playing that had good writing and character? Basically everyone had a single scene and never showed up again. I tried the game because somebody said it was inspired by Earthbound. Somehow it has less charm and worse graphics and game play than a 20 year old game it was ripping it's style from.

bike tory posted:

Undertale has a fairly small number of characters that pop up over and over throughout the game. Are you sure you're thinking of the right game?

The most common complaint I hear is "Character X won't shut the gently caress up" (which is pretty valid in hotland imo) so I'm def not sure what rodbeard is talkin' bout

Jamsque posted:

Undertale is exactly like Homestuck in that everyone who tries it either loving loves it or bounces off it, and no-one in the first category has ever been able to satisfactorily explain to anyone in the second category what it is that they like so much about it.

It's 100% a personality thing. I'd say it's very much like puns or macros & memes, either you think they are funny or they piss you off, and there is no hope to change someone's mind on the matter one way or the other.

I found the fact that after you went on a date with a skeleton, you got his cell number so that you could call him for not just a joke on literally* every screen in the game, but also a followup joke to boot, to be an incredible work of art (for lack of a better term). In addition, once you dated a fish, you got her cell number and then could call her, again with a followup joke, again on every single screen in the game. There is a shitload of context to the jokes, with a lot of flavor and personality-- there are no 'monkey cheese' random bull/white noise jokes, but references to people, places and events ingame.

If Papyrus' personality turns you off, all of the above is noisy filler garbage and you'll not be convinced otherwise; that's fine, not every game is for every person.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jamsque posted:

Gonna have to disagree with ya there, I found it just ok. Like it had decent writing, I think he managed a good balance between quirky and emotive, but it had a godawful core gameplay mechanic that was actively unfun. I didn't bother playing it through more than once but overall felt it was worth the few hours it took to play through and $5-10 it cost.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Goddammit I'm sorry for my contribution to the current derail

Hey remember these things

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Earthbound is boring, why would I play a knockoff?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

if I remember correctly BB-8 was a practical effect a lot of the time so it was, in fact, a sphere moving across sand just fine

so not only was niel "grassy" tyson being annoying, he was also completely wrong

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:randstare:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
NDT is "ackchyually..." made flesh.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

:hmmyes:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

does anyone have that pic of Ted Cruz Zodiac Killer that's photoshopped to give him a huge belly? It was posted somewhere recently.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

black science man bad

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
long cruz is long

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dungeon Ecology posted:

black science man bad

he's clearly inspired a lot of great minds already

much like sagan inspired him

so white weed smoking dead science man also of questionable utility

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Fimally

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Zereth posted:

if I remember correctly BB-8 was a practical effect a lot of the time so it was, in fact, a sphere moving across sand just fine

so not only was niel "grassy" tyson being annoying, he was also completely wrong

BB-8 was a real rolling robot, that's true, but the sand probably wasn't actually real deep sand. I mean, have you ever seen someone try to drive a car on a beach? It's difficult enough with treaded rubber tires; a smooth metal ball ain't going to do well.

Tyson is dumb sometimes and that tweet is pretty stupid in the sense that it doesn't need to exist, but I don't think it's factually wrong.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
He had a fundamental misunderstanding of how helicopters work, so the jury's out.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

BB-8 was a real rolling robot, that's true, but the sand probably wasn't actually real deep sand. I mean, have you ever seen someone try to drive a car on a beach? It's difficult enough with treaded rubber tires; a smooth metal ball ain't going to do well.

Tyson is dumb sometimes and that tweet is pretty stupid in the sense that it doesn't need to exist, but I don't think it's factually wrong.

NDT is Family Guy but what if science. If you've seen him in interviews he constantly spouts memes and other bullshit.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

DiggityDoink posted:

NDT is Family Guy but what if science. If you've seen him in interviews he constantly spouts memes and other bullshit.

Memes and bullshit are the science of the future, luddite.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Memes are the nerve impulses of global hypercognition in the human species

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DiggityDoink posted:

its almost as if he realizes that young people today are going to be more engaged with someone who constantly spouts memes.

:corsair:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Even when he's not wrong NDT constantly mistakes pedantry for wisdom. But when most of the scientists/academics that court pop culture appeal are straight up nazis, or at best 1950s style white conservatives who shout down women trying to voice concerns about male domination of STEM communities, then I'll take NDT any day. Also that Cosmos series he was involved in was great.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bike tory posted:

Even when he's not wrong NDT constantly mistakes pedantry for wisdom. But when most of the scientists/academics that court pop culture appeal are straight up nazis, or at best 1950s style white conservatives who shout down women trying to voice concerns about male domination of STEM communities, then I'll take NDT any day. Also that Cosmos series he was involved in was great.

I enjoy listening to Star Talk from time to time. its a science show with a standup comedian as a co-host, so is a fairly enjoyable listen.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

rodbeard posted:

Only furries like you play those games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_phtw3e2iya1re5qvp_480.mp4

Man, history is wild actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Margaret_Garrud

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34425615

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hope this becomes popular

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Nov 8, 2018

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

These feel very outdated.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Beeswax posted:

These feel very outdated.

it's monkey cheese poo poo for the nihilistic generation

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Why do they keep saying Jujitsu Jujitsu Jujitsu, when it's clearly Aikido? Either way no-one is pulling off any of those moves in real life esp against a much larger opponent.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

lovely loss, remove the guy from the first panel

SumTingWong
Feb 11, 2015

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This is it. this is the one that made me just lose my mind, lmao

Holy gently caress that's funny

Adbot