Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your favorite swear word?
View Results

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Welp not anymore

Edit: nvm it is indeed up In game now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Go play BFV goons, go!

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo bf v lol

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
trundling along on my Aussie ADSL connection at ~700KB/s, 6GB of download left, thinking 'sweet as, ready for launch tomorrow'

coming into the thread: :siren: immediately :siren: USB tether my phone to my PC, start downloading via the 4g network and it'll be ready in 10 minutes
:kingsley: :kingsley:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

lmao RIP the BF1 sendoff

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I checked this morning and it was only premier. Basic 10 hours unlocked too?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

lmao RIP the BF1 sendoff

Welp. BF1 it’s been real. Pour one out for a fallen homie.

ITS BATTLEFIELD V TIME!!!!!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Okay, who is playing right now and what kind of coms are you using? Really want to play but I also really don't want to play with pubbies.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I clicked on the discord link that eonwe reposted and my browser really doesn't want to let me connect to it. Should I just download discord and do it that way instead of the browser?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Target Practice posted:

I clicked on the discord link that eonwe reposted and my browser really doesn't want to let me connect to it. Should I just download discord and do it that way instead of the browser?

I use the discord app, it seems fine to me. Weird your browser doesn't like the link tho.

also

Fjell is sick

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Popelmon posted:

Okay, who is playing right now and what kind of coms are you using? Really want to play but I also really don't want to play with pubbies.

I’m in and I’m guessing the eonwe discord. Be there in a min.

E: mtn dew channel

afkmacro fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 8, 2018

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

:ducksiren: Community Post Incoming:

Battlefield V is live! Thank you Strangelove for the thread and corralling all the goons for this and over the past games. We are all pumped now that the game is OFFICIALLY LIVE FOR ORIGIN PREMIER GOGOGOGOGO

I want to stress for the launch the value of community and having friends and goons to group with. We have two awesome ways to do your grouping besides just logging into Origin and praying to Jesus and Pals that you bump into cool people.

Join the Mumble. If you’re not a Mumble person, at least try it out. There’s a big following there, and you’ll see the Mumble link in the OP. This is a big game launch for me, so I am rejoining it today for options of folks to play with as not everybody likes discord. This is OG poo poo right here and I want to highly encourage you look here when grouping. Be cool.

Join the Discord. If you’re not a Discord person, at least try it out. https://discord.gg/364rsdd

It’s called SA Professional Gamers and it’s been around for just over two years. I run it along with eonwe and about 10 other goons. This discord is less than 20 channels and you’ll never be pinged with notifications unless you type !tag battlefield and want to use it for grouping. There are right now about 175 battlefield goons here (I checked all those who have tagged to identify they want to play BFV and get pinged for LFG) and this discord has a dedicated Battlefield channel. Mix and mingle with other goons or mute everything but the Battlefield channel. We are here to make friends, be chill, talk the game or really, just talk whatever. It’s a big community and I say it with bias, a really awesome place that I’m glued to.

IN CONCLUSION!!!!!! YYAASSSS

Being this is a multiplayer game, play with goons. We are all pretty cool at the end of the day and it makes the game that much better. This game will last a long time, whether it’s good or not, if we always have goons to play with, make some friendships and keep the game a priority.

Let the games begin.

Edit: For those who don’t know, I’m ICR in the games I play and outside the forum. I’m pumped to play this with you all and get to know some of you. Cheers.

Edit 2: Strangelove, your call man as I don’t want to hijack your thread, but feel free to throw this post in the OP for the goons if you want to.

ICR fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 8, 2018

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
This intro owns as to be expected

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Discord link not working. Dunno why, if it's you or discord being dumb.

(also there may be a period sucked up into the link)

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Discord link not working. Dunno why, if it's you or discord being dumb.

(also there may be a period sucked up into the link)

God drat it. You’re right. It’s the period.

Fixed.

https://discord.gg/364rsdd

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

God drat it. You’re right. It’s the period.

Fixed.

https://discord.gg/364rsdd

Thank you! Discord was also being dumb and just sat there forever until I put the link into the discord app itself. Might be around tonight if I decide on giving in and giving EA yet another $15.

(we all know I totally will. Since when did a goon ever have self restraint?)

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Oh, you’re logging in pal. And then, I hate to say it, but you’re never ever gonna log off.

Please be 5PM so I can play this forever. Tonight’s gonna be wild!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

loving lol if you thought the TTK on the STG44 was fast, wait till you meet the STG1-5

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Planes fun and good, tanks fun and good.

Gotta go to work :(

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Welcome to my humble abode, STG1-5.

Also, the only review I ever care about comes from PC Gamer (and when I say care, I don’t. But here it is):

https://www.pcgamer.com/battlefield-5-review/

TLDR: They really like it. And that’s a good sign.

quote:

Battlefield 5 review in progress
By Andy Kelly 2 hours ago

DICE’s chaotic multiplayer FPS returns to World War II.

This week I played two days of Battlefield 5 multiplayer at an event in Stockholm, home of developer DICE. This sequel marks a return to the series’ World War II roots, using lesser-known conflicts as the inspiration for its modes and maps. It throws a few interesting new ideas into the mix, but otherwise feels like classic Battlefield, with big maps, vehicles, and a focus on teamplay. I’ll play on live servers for a while before I write a full review, but in the meantime here are some thoughts from the 15 hours or so I spent playing at the event.

Fortifications are a nice new addition

Battlefield is famous for its destruction, but now you can build things too. Whip out your hammer and on certain parts of the map—usually around control points—you’ll see the shimmering outline of sandbags, barbed wire, and other buildable fortifications. Any class can build them and you don’t have to harvest resources or anything like that, but the process is slow and leaves you open to attack while you wait for a meter to slowly tick up.

A good example of this is in the Aerodrome map, where the entrance to a large aircraft hangar can be plugged up with cover, Czech hedgehogs, and other obstacles to make the lives of the opposing team more difficult. Some maps even let you dig trenches for your fellow troops to move safely through. It never feels like the outcome of a battle hangs on the construction of these fortifications, but they can really change the flow of a map.

I love the Twisted Steel map

There are some great maps in Battlefield 5, which I’ll discuss further in my review, but for now let’s talk about the standout: Twisted Steel. Set in France, this swampy map is dominated by an enormous bridge, part of which has dramatically collapsed. Below the bridge is a wet, marshy forest for skirmishing in, but it’s on the structure itself where the most exciting firefights take place, around the two capture points placed strategically at either end of it.

When the enemy team has control of the bridge, wrestling it back from them is a really fun, satisfying challenge. Its elevated position gives snipers a great vantage point on the swamp and buildings below, but luckily the bridge is strewn with rubble and wrecks, providing just enough cover to push through and claw it back. Of the two days I spent playing the game, I enjoyed the battles on Twisted Steel the most. The scale of the thing is remarkable.

the tone is all over the place

The game opens with a solemn prologue in which you play as a series of doomed soldiers dying in increasingly horrible ways. Its intent is to illustrate the futility and horror of war, but it feels out of place in a game where you can wear a Union Jack gas mask, jump out of a plane in mid-air, land on your feet, then whack a Nazi over the head with a cricket bat. It can’t decide if war is hell, or just cool as hell, which creates some wild tonal dissonance.

This extends to the game itself. Battlefield, despite its best efforts, is a slapstick, absurd affair, and by no means an accurate approximation of a real, gruelling war. Which makes a British soldier’s agonised screams of “I wanna go home!” just come across as really tasteless and tone-deaf. I feel like DICE needs to stop pretending Battlefield respects, or reflects, the struggles of real-life soldiers and just own the fact that it’s a fun, silly cartoon of a game.

It’s as enjoyably chaotic as ever

Battlefield revels in chaos, and 5 continues this tradition brilliantly. In the thick of a firefight, with planes screaming overhead, tanks trundling by, and sniper scopes glinting in the distance, it’s exhilarating. And the dense, detailed maps only add to the turmoil, particularly the post-apocalyptic Devastation, which is set among the shattered ruins of a bombed-out Rotterdam. With 64 players sharing a map, few multiplayer games are this frenzied.

This chaos also results in some exciting, emergent moments that could be scripted set pieces, such as the Spitfire I saw flying too low and buzzing a church’s belltower, carving a hole in the side with its wing and leaving a trail of dust and rubble. But this can also work against it, and I lost count of the visual bugs I encountered: usually involving corpses getting stuck in stuff or jerking around like they were being reanimated by a necromancer.

Squads are essential

Always be in a squad, basically—even if it’s with strangers. Not only can you spawn on them if they aren’t engaged in combat, but now non-medic characters can perform a ‘buddy revive’ on a fallen comrade. This is a lot slower than when a medic does it, but still fairly invaluable in the final stages of a match. It also encourages squads to stick close together, as tempting as it might be to run off and test out your new sniper rifle.

Being able to spawn on your squad to keep the pressure on the enemy feels more important than ever in Battlefield 5. Leaders can also call in flame-throwing tanks, V1 rockets, and other toys when enough squad points are accumulated. I was playing with three people I knew in my sessions, so I’m not sure what it’ll be like to squad up with strangers. That’s something I’m gonna be testing when the game is released to the public.

Grand Operations live up to their name

Building on Battlefield 1’s Operations mode, Grand Operations are vast, themed battles that take place over three days, loosely connected with a story that changes depending on the performance of each team. While Battlefield is often a good game to dip in and out of, you’ll need to set a decent chunk of time aside for these sprawling epics. Each day is heavily objective-based, with teams attacking or defending key military structures.

I’m not sure about Final Stand, though. This tie-breaker round is triggered if both teams are evenly matched and there’s no clear winner. Essentially playing out like the tense final minutes of a game of Fortnite or PUBG, respawns are disabled and surviving players are gradually pushed together by a shrinking play space. The last team standing wins the Grand Operation, which kinda negates your team’s performance in the previous rounds.

Character customisation isn’t great

It’s a given that a big, contemporary multiplayer game like Battlefield would have character customisation. But man, they shouldn’t have bothered. The artists are so hamstrung by the WWII setting that the variety of ways to make your character your own is sorely limited. To give an example, there are like a dozen near-identical versions of the British ‘Brodie’ helmet: a clean one, a damaged one, one with a winter hat under it, and so on.

On the second day of the event, EA gave us unlocked accounts where we could equip any bit of gear, but on the battlefield I could barely tell the difference. The enemy are just indistinct blobs of grey or khaki when you’re in a fight, which makes these customisation options feel like a waste of time. Honestly, I’d prefer everyone to look the same, with readable, recognisable silhouettes for each class. But a lot of players love customisation, I guess.

Overall, I like what I’ve played so far :ducksiren:

As I flew back from Stockholm I felt the itch to play more Battlefield, which is surely a good sign. Despite changes such as fortifications, more physical character movement, and an increased focus on squads, it still scratches that distinctive FPS itch that Battlefield always has. It’s not massive, dramatic reinvention of the series, but I wasn’t expecting that anyway.

It might be by imagination, or the fact I was playing on a 144hz monitor with an RTX 2080 Ti, but it feels a bit faster and snappier than previous Battlefield games too, with a touch less weight to the controls. But I’ll have to play more on my own, less powerful PC to see if that’s the case. And I haven’t mentioned the singleplayer War Stories mode yet, which I’ll also be tackling from the comfort of my own desk. Watch this space for my full review in a few days.

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003
For the love of god, anything other than the
What the poo poo. They screwed up launch already but in a good way. In the middle of changing my motherboard too.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Guess I'm taking a long lunch

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Is the game out for ps4?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Twisted Steel is seriously very cool. Fjell is the new achi baba.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Are we making a new thread?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I'm gonna assume no.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Are planes like bf1 planes?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah we don’t need a new thread. :)

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

underage at the vape shop posted:

Are planes like bf1 planes?

They control really well, and their model seems to reflect their hit box so you aren't going to crash flying low as much. They start you off in a fighter with minimal ground attack and they make you level up to unlock the first bomber.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Crashes my drivers (nvidia) randomly every hour but great game otherwise.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Target Practice posted:

They control really well, and their model seems to reflect their hit box so you aren't going to crash flying low as much. They start you off in a fighter with minimal ground attack and they make you level up to unlock the first bomber.

So too early to tell if they are as broken, basically

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

underage at the vape shop posted:

So too early to tell if they are as broken, basically

It was cool because the round I played on Fjell had like 6 guys in fighters strafing the points but accomplishing nothing. Map could get more miserable once people unlock bombers.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Cheers to all the replies on war thunder. I’ll have to check it out.... after I get bored of being a bf v tank whore (which I hope is never)

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Fart Car '97 posted:

It was cool because the round I played on Fjell had like 6 guys in fighters strafing the points but accomplishing nothing.

Perfection

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gunning in the bombers was only slightly less fun than gunning in attack planes from bf1 during beta

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

What the gently caress dice, I was looking forward to the send off. I logged in for a bit last night to tweak my stream, guess that was my send off. Now I'm stuck here at work with no time off left.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I wouldn't worry, streams are showing getting in a server is a real pain in the rear end at the moment.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Yeah, I was also looking forwards to one last hurrah in BF1 before moving on.

Oh well, time to uninstall it to make room for its bigger brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Just play the sp for now to unlock the melee weapons. You get the cricket bat from one of them.