Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

lambskin posted:

Just a courtesy for the people you summon, since they get half the estus. But yeah rip and tear all you want.

Oh yeah I forget estus gets halved even when you call them to your world, pretty lame imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dumb rear end autistic who just got the game go kys

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

they made perfectly flat featureless arenas for people who believe this nonsense

in a better game invaders would get an amount of estus equal to the host's at the time of invasion (or just a full flask if the host has phantoms) but that's on the devs for being weenies, not on hosts.

as a host you should grasp every single advantage open to you, whether you're invading or summoning reds or whatever.
Just like how invaders should go full twink on solo hosts at the high wall. Just because it's possible doesn't mean you should do it! Of course just because I feel that way doesn't mean you have to follow arbitrary rules, but having a bit of courtesy for red sign summons just leads to a lower level of salt overall!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this is why no more crash bandicoot games are made

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

KingSlime posted:

Says who? Bruh this is the world where the gods have been burning humanity in other to ensure their continued supremacy

gently caress rules, crushing other sentient creatures in order to absorb their power is all that matters

A red sign is an invitation, not the smash & grab of an invasion.

It's real easy for someone to either not summon you again, or BC out if you summon them again and/or switch from char names to gamer tags and block you.

Doesn't mean you can't do what you want, just it might be short lived fun given the shrinking player-base - which seems to be more noticeable for fight clubs than invasions.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
red signs are made for dueling wherever in the game world people want(can't do that with undead match)
you can estus, but 1v1s with estus take a long time and are imbalanced in the hosts' favor, and if you don't want a (relatively)balanced fight, why are you using red signs?

if you want to crush people with host advantage just dried finger and gank or something

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

lambskin posted:

Just like how invaders should go full twink on solo hosts at the high wall.
Solo hosts at high wall do not exist. They are a myth.

The only time you will catch a glimpse of one is when you are one yourself.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

lambskin posted:

Just like how invaders should go full twink on solo hosts at the high wall. Just because it's possible doesn't mean you should do it! Of course just because I feel that way doesn't mean you have to follow arbitrary rules, but having a bit of courtesy for red sign summons just leads to a lower level of salt overall!

You twink yourself out like a monster for early game because most youll see in those are twinked out gankers. Nontwinked players are so rare there that you shouldnt even be thinking of the possibility that youll hit those. You do early game invasions because you want to fight early game ganks.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I have a low level twink and solo hosts most definitely exist! Though plenty of ganks in the forest for fun.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Amppelix posted:

Solo hosts at high wall do not exist. They are a myth.

The only time you will catch a glimpse of one is when you are one yourself.

What's a solo host?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

What's a solo host?
A host, aka an invadee (or summoner), who does not have anyone else in their world currently. Very rare because the game prioritizes invasions into worlds with summons.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Amppelix posted:

A host, aka an invadee (or summoner), who does not have anyone else in their world currently. Very rare because the game prioritizes invasions into worlds with summons.

Ok, that makes sense. "Solo host" just sounds a like an oxymoron lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Amppelix posted:

It’s not just that, it’s that you CANNOT be red orb invaded more than once per character unless you have been summoning phantoms/using the dried finger/using red orb yourself.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Ok, that makes sense. "Solo host" just sounds a like an oxymoron lol

The only solo hosts are characters that just embered for the first time, and characters that are deliberately sitting there looking for invaders.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Whoops. Nothing to see here.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Jumped back into this game after a long break. Decided to switch up my usual str or quality build (PvE) for a dex/int build.

Is it me or are most enemies magic resistant? I am at 32 int and 29 dex and it seems my regular sharp sellsword twinblades get worse if I use greater magic weapon on em

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Willfrey posted:

Jumped back into this game after a long break. Decided to switch up my usual str or quality build (PvE) for a dex/int build.

Is it me or are most enemies magic resistant? I am at 32 int and 29 dex and it seems my regular sharp sellsword twinblades get worse if I use greater magic weapon on em
This shouldn't be possible, because afaik you just ADD magic damage, not CONVERT any (otherwise, yeah, it would be worse like 90% of the time).

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

This shouldn't be possible, because afaik you just ADD magic damage, not CONVERT any (otherwise, yeah, it would be worse like 90% of the time).

Alrighty. Havent actually just sat down and did test on them. Just making sure it wasnt removing dex scaling for magic scaling

On a side note, what are fun dex weapons? Dont care how meta they are as long as they dont gimp me. I dumped a bunch of titanite scales in the worthless crystal rapier already

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Follower saber, carthus curved sword, estoc, crow quills, Friede scythes

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

skasion posted:

It’s not just that, it’s that you CANNOT be red orb invaded more than once per character unless you have been summoning phantoms/using the dried finger/using red orb yourself.

The only solo hosts are characters that just embered for the first time, and characters that are deliberately sitting there looking for invaders.

This isn’t true or it’s more specific than this, I’ve been invaded more than once by myself with no summoning/invading in between.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Digirat posted:

This isn’t true or it’s more specific than this, I’ve been invaded more than once by myself with no summoning/invading in between.

There are a number of things which trip the "invadable" tag.

- Entering a new area for the first time
- Summoning
- Using the dried finger
- Possibly others, none of this poo poo is ever made explicit lol

Notably, the one thing that definitely DOESN'T is time. The duration is indefinite until tripped.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
In Dark Souls 3 PVP, does the current game you're in (NG, NG+, NG++, etc) have anything to do with who you get matched up against? Or, is it all about your character level?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Game cycle doesn’t matter, only soul level and weapon upgrade level

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

skasion posted:

Game cycle doesn’t matter, only soul level and weapon upgrade level

Thanks!

Do you know where I can read about stuff like how character level vs weapon level are weighed, etc?

I'm looking to get into DS pvp and I've never really read up on how it works. I'm pretty much totally ignorant on the mechanics. I don't even know where to begin for the covenants.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks!

Do you know where I can read about stuff like how character level vs weapon level are weighed, etc?

I'm looking to get into DS pvp and I've never really read up on how it works. I'm pretty much totally ignorant on the mechanics. I don't even know where to begin for the covenants.

Here's a rough guide - not idea how good it is in reality but looks ok.
https://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Recommended+Level+by+Location

In terms of the PVP covenants:

Rosaria's Fingers:
These are the 'invasion' covenant - you use the Red Eye Orb (or, if you haven't found it yet, single-use Cracked Red Eye Orbs) to invade other players
Due to the way that DS3 handles invasion mechanics, you will most likely only manage to invade the worlds of people who are currently accompanied by others summons (ie, usually gank squads), so don't expect a fair fight.
Fight dirty - use the environment and NPC monsters to your advantage - NPCs monsters won't harm you*.
You get additional rewards if you kill a Blue Sentinel/Blade of the Darkmoon phantom, I think.

Mound Makers:
(These are rather hard to find on your own so make sure you look up a guide)
You have two ways of playing this one: you can invade or you can put down a summon sign.
If invading, you're basically like a Rosaria's Finger invasion. However, you can attack any phantoms in the host world, as well as the host. Invasions heavily favor hosts with lots of phantoms (friend or foe) in their world already.
If being summoned, NPC monsters will be hostile to you, as well as any phantoms and the host.
To succeed (in either case) you need to either kill the host, or kill a certain number of phantoms.
It's neat in theory but usually ends up with everyone trying to murder you.
Can be lots of fun to play in unorthodox ways if the host plays along (eg, invading and 'guarding' the host and pointing out secrets for example). They rarely do though.

Watchdogs of Farron:
You will automatically invade players in the swamp area of Farron Keep or in the Crucifixion Woods
NPC monsters won't be hostile to you*.
Quite a low-level covenant - once you outlevel it/upgrade your weapon too much you likely won't get summoned anymore
Potentially allows you to gang up with other Watchdogs of Farron (or helpful Rosaria's Fingers) to take down the host

Aldritch Faithful:
Same as Watchdogs of Farron, but you'll be invading players in the Anor Londo areas instead
NPC monsters won't be hostile to you*.
Since this area is further into the game you can be higher level/have more upgrades on your weapons and still get action.
Anor Londo is a PVP hotspot so it'll probably keep you busy, but expect gank squads. There's no shame in that case waiting for backup to show.

Blue Sentinels/Blades of the Darkmoon:
These are basically identical to each other, they even share covenant levels/rewards. Blades of the Darkmoon do get some additional rewards if they kill someone who is also an Aldritch Faithful
You will automatically be summoned to hosts who are part of the Way of Blue that have been invaded by other phantoms. Your job is to kill the invader OR get the host safely through the fog door to the boss.
When you're first summoned a small indicator will appear to show you the rough location of your target.
NPC monsters will be hostile to you, so you can help the host through the level.
If the host dies, you fail, so keep them alive. Invaders will rarely 'fight fair' so it's a good idea to locate the host and stick near them to protect them.
The chance of being summoned isn't great, so this is a covenant that's usually best to keep on standby while you play through the game doing other things.

Spear of the Church:
You'll invade the world of a host that enters a certain boss room in the Ringed City.
You now ARE the boss they have to fight.
You get bonuses to some stats (which scale if they have help from phantoms with them) and regularly get an effect similar to Homing Soul Mass that appears above you. However, you cannot use any Estus (not even Ashen Estus).
You can use the Ritual/Divine Spear Fragment to cast a spell that fires spears out from the ground in a straight line front of you (for no FP cost)
There will be 2 NPC monsters that get summoned to help you. By the time you arrive the first one might be dead already. The second will spawn if your health drops low enough. Keep them alive, they have a AoE healing spell you can benefit from!
Kill the host to win.

*Unless the host uses a Seed from the Tree of Giants, in which case they turn hostile for a time.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 8, 2018

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Some monsters do "friendly fire", which applies to invaders. Mainly large enemies like Giants and Crabs

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Soul Reaver posted:

How to pvp.

All this plus

Pretty sure you can use ashen estus as a spear of the church- the easiest way to win these is as a faith build.

Rosarias finger- if you invade with the red eye orb as anything other than mound maker or sunbro you will invade as a red spirit and get the rosarias finger covenant reward item anyway. The difference is that if you invade with the finger covenant equipped you get "Rosarias Finger" above your character name when your opponent locks on to you (which is cooler than "dark spirit" or whatever it normally is).

Also if you invade as a sunbro and kill the host you get a sunlight medal, same as if you were summoned as a friendly sunbro and helped kill the boss.

The reward for killing a blue spirit is double the reward for killing the host- if you invade and only kill a blue and not the host you still get a greater reward than if you just killed the host and no blues.

Mostly, be super aware of matchmaking ranges, especially now in the games life span you have to be much more patient in finding hosts to kill. The ready reckoner is:
- what upgrade materials do you find in the area you are invading? That is the upgrade level you should be at.
- multiply the upgrade level by ten and that is a good soul level.
- matchmaking favours invading people higher than you, keep your soul level low for a better chance of finding hosts.

I'd also recommend responding to the rythm of dark souls combat rather than what you see on the screen, as latency is a big thing.

The big pvp playgrounds are the non-poisonous farron swamp, Gank City (the area past pontiff before anor londo), and Gank City 2.0 (Ringed City bonfire past the first judicator). Undead arena is good for practise, as an invader you should be confident in your 1v1's so that you can spend invasions focusing on using the level instead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tarezax posted:

Some monsters do "friendly fire", which applies to invaders. Mainly large enemies like Giants and Crabs

Giant crabs will definitely hit watchdogs with their swipes.

e: i'm an idiot and thought this was a question for some reason

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

asio posted:

Pretty sure you can use ashen estus as a spear of the church- the easiest way to win these is as a faith build.

Huh, I used to play as a sorcerer and thought that Spear of the Church kind of gimped me because I couldn't estus up my FP.

Been quite a while since I played though so probably remembering it wrong

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Speaking of Spears of the Church, a week or so ago I was sunbro co-oping with a couple friends through the DLC and almost as soon as I warped in to the bonfire after Demon Prince I got summoned to be the boss. I thought I had to actually be wearing the Spears covenant item but I guess that's not it? Or maybe no one else was in the zone and it just grabbed me rather than let the host fight an npc?

Either way it was the first time I'd done it so it was a neat experience, but looking back on it I think I played it like a dick. The guy had summoned Patches to deal with the guardians, but I alternated between keeping the host on his toes and backstabbing Patches until he died and I ended up with at least one guardian left to run down the host with me. If I had to do it again I'd just let Patches do his thing and deal with however that turned out. Sorry for being an rear end in a top hat, host.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Vanrushal posted:

Speaking of Spears of the Church, a week or so ago I was sunbro co-oping with a couple friends through the DLC and almost as soon as I warped in to the bonfire after Demon Prince I got summoned to be the boss. I thought I had to actually be wearing the Spears covenant item but I guess that's not it? Or maybe no one else was in the zone and it just grabbed me rather than let the host fight an npc?

Either way it was the first time I'd done it so it was a neat experience, but looking back on it I think I played it like a dick. The guy had summoned Patches to deal with the guardians, but I alternated between keeping the host on his toes and backstabbing Patches until he died and I ended up with at least one guardian left to run down the host with me. If I had to do it again I'd just let Patches do his thing and deal with however that turned out. Sorry for being an rear end in a top hat, host.

ain't nothin' wrong with being an rear end in a top hat to prevent someone from causing the complete collapse of reality

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I like, when I send the mimic to fight the flame demon in the catacombs... the Mimic always wins.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

DeafNote posted:

I like, when I send the mimic to fight the flame demon in the catacombs... the Mimic always wins.

Earlier in the thread I complained because in my last playthrough I rolled a pyro and tried to go to the demon ruins as early as possible and banked on the Mimic to kill the demon for me, but it died pretty quickly (I think I got unlucky and the skeletons ganged up on the mimic), but after a few attempts I realized that if you wake up all the skeletons on both levels of the arena, they can do a bang up job on that demon!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wrong thread!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vanrushal posted:

Either way it was the first time I'd done it so it was a neat experience, but looking back on it I think I played it like a dick.
Good. That's what you should be doing.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Is there much benefit to using elemental infusions? The physical scaling infusions seem to do a decent job if your stats are built a certain way, but I've heard the way damage resistance works means the split damage is underwhelming.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dark infusion offers the best possible damage for minmaxing purposes. Other than that it could be worth it depending on your stats. Some weapons respond better to infusions than others so you can experiment with that and see if the numbers go high enough for your liking. For example the Astora Greatsword gets an A or S scaling in any element you give it which is pretty drat good.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

Yeah honestly elemental infusions are pretty good in general as long as you have the appropriate stats. Chaos and dark offer the best damage potential but crystal and lightning aren't that far behind.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
The dlc just totally sucks on NG+4.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Chaos does more damage on crits than dark, even though both will give you the same AR; Chaos Dagger is the ultimate crit machine and 90% of PvPers who aren't low-level will run it (the low-levels use Fire Daggers). Few shields have strong dark resistance compared to other types of elemental damage so it's the best for chipping through shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Paracelsus posted:

Chaos does more damage on crits than dark, even though both will give you the same AR; Chaos Dagger is the ultimate crit machine and 90% of PvPers who aren't low-level will run it (the low-levels use Fire Daggers). Few shields have strong dark resistance compared to other types of elemental damage so it's the best for chipping through shields.

By crits you mean like ripostes and backstabs?

Does a riposte that you get from parrying do the same damage as a riposte you get from a shield break.