Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, considering how a major plot element of wc3 was that racism was bad and each faction had good and bad eggs(excepting the undead) and that WoW dilutes each race onto a single stereotype I think that won't turn out great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The example they gave was changing the layout of the Stratholme level to reflect the WoW version of the are, although there was a brief mention of Sylvanas' character as well.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
Catering to WoWkids, that terrible generation of grinders and pizza roll microwavers who don't understand the greatness of Wc3!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I remember thinking Warcraft III would have made a great foundation for an MMORPG in the future based on Warcraft. Then Blizzard announced World of Warcraft for real. Be careful what you wish for is what i'm trying to say.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
They should rename Warcraft III to just "Warcraft" because they're never gonna re-release Warcraft 1 or 2.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

McSlaughter posted:

Catering to WoWkids, that terrible generation of grinders and pizza roll microwavers who don't understand the greatness of Wc3!!

I microwaved a lot of pizza rolls when I played WC3 in college back in 2001 I'll have you know.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mercury Crusader posted:

They should rename Warcraft III to just "Warcraft" because they're never gonna re-release Warcraft 1 or 2.

It would actually own bones if Warcraft 1 and 2 were remade in Reforged too.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
WC2 had such good music and narration, you could tell you were in for some good poo poo even before you got Feudal Guy or Orc WWE Announcer yelling about orgrim doomhammers and toll barrads.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Pretty fuckin weird that the Orcish Horde had like two orc units (grunt and peon?) tho.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Weren't death knights undead orcs?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Azran posted:

Orc warlocks souls stuffed into the bodies of human knights iirc.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Azran posted:

I think I remember the manual said they were resurrected humans but who knows if that still counts

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

The dragons were also ridden/trained/enslaved by orcs. It just didn't show up on the unit sprite.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Who’s up for reviving the Towa clan and tactics? I fear that I may have grown too old to do such things

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I think I remember the manual said they were resurrected humans but who knows if that still counts

The bodies were Azeroth knights stuffed with the souls of the Shadow Council.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Kith posted:

I'd actually be cool with that, provided they keep these things in it:

General Battuta posted:

WC2 had such good music and narration, you could tell you were in for some good poo poo even before you got Feudal Guy or Orc WWE Announcer yelling about orgrim doomhammers and toll barrads.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Bill Roper is the hero we deserve.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I feel like redesigning map geography, adding things like Meathook, extra little touches to the map are what they're talking about with any changes.

They're not gonna do anything that would require them to re-record new voiced lines, I would imagine, so don't expect any sweeping story changes. This is still the Warcraft 3 story they're telling. Maybe Sylvanas' special-banshee will show up in more than half a mission, and that's what they meant by the reference to her? Maybe she'll be stronger in that half a mission she appears for? Who knows? I, for one, am eager to find out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

Warcraft 3 assumes you already know and have played the previous games though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Eh, not really. The first two games whole involvement is: there was a war. The orcs lost. Which the game communicates fine.

Most of the prior backstory of import is the camps the orcs start off in which isnt explained at all in any of the games.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
That actually makes me wonder if they're going to include a PDF of the manual or whatever since that's where basically all the lore for the races was.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Blizzard have said existing custom maps will run in Reforged. Pretty sure Warcraft 1 & 2 have been remade as custom campaigns for Warcraft 3. So there we go?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

They loving love that part of the story which is why it keeps being a part of WoW expacs and was the basis for the movie.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
This looks way better than I would have thought. The character models are really, really good.

I don't think the animations are all that weird, but some of the effects are strange. It looks really weird to see arrows fly into character models and then immediately disappear, for example. I'm sure some of it will be cleaned up before release, but some of it they probably can't do much about, given they can't change too much of the base game. Oh well.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

One touch I genuinely like in WC3 is the magic attacks shooting little birds/flying skulls. It's a neat detail.

e: the original flappy birds

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 7, 2018

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I know the answer is probably no, but I wonder if they can/will integrate the some of the deep mind collab stuff they did for SC2. It's mainly just a matter of defining a protobuf spec and shipping the info over along with some hooks to accept actions over the socket. I'm working with it for research now but I have a personal bias towards Warcraft and would prefer to use it. This is a dumb thing to care about.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Blizzard have said existing custom maps will run in Reforged. Pretty sure Warcraft 1 & 2 have been remade as custom campaigns for Warcraft 3. So there we go?

Custom maps will run, but anything that uses custom assets, like models and textures, or custom UI skins, will likely be unable to use them in Reforged.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Kith posted:

i want wc2 with a user-friendly ui so bad

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

FoolyCharged posted:

Eh, not really. The first two games whole involvement is: there was a war. The orcs lost. Which the game communicates fine.

Most of the prior backstory of import is the camps the orcs start off in which isnt explained at all in any of the games.

They won the first one!

Prav posted:

i want wc2 with a user-friendly ui so bad

It had like six buttons to worry about, what would you like to see changed?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Beyond the Dark Portal ends up being important for quite a bit of WoW stuff too.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

THE BAR posted:

It had like six buttons to worry about, what would you like to see changed?

free zoom, unlimited selection, smart-casting, multi-building selection, builder queueing, build queue management in general, etc etc.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

BlazetheInferno posted:

I feel like redesigning map geography, adding things like Meathook, extra little touches to the map are what they're talking about with any changes.

They're not gonna do anything that would require them to re-record new voiced lines, I would imagine, so don't expect any sweeping story changes. This is still the Warcraft 3 story they're telling. Maybe Sylvanas' special-banshee will show up in more than half a mission, and that's what they meant by the reference to her? Maybe she'll be stronger in that half a mission she appears for? Who knows? I, for one, am eager to find out.

They’ve stated that they will redo the voiceovers too

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Chopstix posted:

Oh dear.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Chopstix posted:

Who’s up for reviving the Towa clan and tactics? I fear that I may have grown too old to do such things

the core clan towa/highperch crew still games together regularly. not much war3 lately, though we did get a couple of solid games in during the early summer renewal of interest. we’re ready to go as soon as that beta drops

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Chopstix posted:

Well its not quite that bad, they are bringing in the wow voice actors so that they are recognizable for people that never played WC3, but will have an option in the menus to choose between the old voices and the new ones, similarly they will have options for the old graphics and the newer ones.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
A pretty basic change would be to make Sylvanas into a Dark Ranger rather than a Banshee after Arthas rezzes here. It's a weird disjoint between the RoC and TFT campaigns where she like, grows legs.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Jables88 posted:

A pretty basic change would be to make Sylvanas into a Dark Ranger rather than a Banshee after Arthas rezzes here. It's a weird disjoint between the RoC and TFT campaigns where she like, grows legs.

She had to find somebody polymorph a sheep into somebody who looked exactly like her, then kill them and raise them as undead, and then possess them, obviously

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Jables88 posted:

The original canon is that she found her old body and possessed it after RoC.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Which is a load of dung.
I played the campaign! She didn't get that skill!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

Which is a load of dung.
I played the campaign! She didn't get that skill!

Segregation of Gameplay and Story, my friend. If she had the Possession ability in-game in her Banshee form, you would lose her after a single use, and she would be gone forever. Naw, if she's gonna possess anything or anybody, it's gonna be her own drat body because no other body is deserving of her glorious wonderful spirit.

Okay, I'm just gonna go sit in the shame corner now after typing that.