Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
My 9900k went from nov 5 to nov 12, now they say there is no fixed date. I work for a distributor so I'm paying $50 off retail but I can't wait much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Ordered mine from Amazon on 10/08 and still waiting for any kind of update :(

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

General Probe posted:

I pre-ordered as soon as Amazon pushed a notice to my phone that they were available, and I was able to set it to notify thanks to a link Hold the Ashes posted in this thread of an entry that wasn't easily searchable. I figure that put me pretty close to the beginning of the line.

If I was a smart man, I'd turn around and resell it on eBay.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Buildzoid did a video on the Z390 Aorus Xtreme and it seems to actually live up to it's "Godlike" price. The VRM is so efficiently that it was demonstrated running for 24 hours straight with a 9900k at 5.2GHz, running prime95 and with no heatsink or cooling on the VRM.

It also has everything but the kitchen sink.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

General Probe posted:

I'm starting to think my 10/10 Amazon order will never be seen. I would cancel and order somewhere else but I've got like $150 in amazon bux that would be nice to use on this.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I am trying to decide between buying the Asrock Z390 Extreme 4, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi or MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC (god drat terrible name). The latter two have WIFI while the Extreme 4 does not. I feel that Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi has the best feature set but I am concerned by the bios issues. Is the board a big improvement over the Z370?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do you move your computer enough that wifi matters? I use mine wired and I've never even considered going wireless with it. As far as I can tell the only real difference between 390s and 370s is non updated 9 series support, if you're keeping the same CPU I'd get a 370 before the prices go up.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 7, 2018

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I am going to be getting a 9700k real soon. I could use the i3-8100 I am currently using to flash a z370 bios.

I could sacrifice wifi if it means I am going to be getting a better quality board. I am moving real soon and Id imagine my computer will sit next to the router.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Speaking of Haswells, I've got an issue thats cropped up myself.

I've got an Intel i5 4670K with an ASUS Z87-C motherboard using a Corsair H60 cooler, and I've been running this at a stable overclock at 4Ghz for over 5 years. Recently I ran some benchmarks to get a before and after reference point before upgrading the graphics card, and under heavy load I noticed the CPU temperatures were hitting as high as 95 degrees before thermal throttling kicked in. Under loads typical of a modern game, temperatures were hovering around the mid 80s. Historically temperatures never used to go above 70 degrees even under heavy load.

I've reduced the overclock down to 3.8Ghz in the meantime and this seems to have helped, under heavy load it may periodically spike to 85 degress but usually now keeps under 80, with modern games keeping around the mid 70s. However, the air coming out the back from the cooling fan is lukewarm at best - I would expect it to feel like a hairdryer with the CPU temps I'm experiencing.

So I'm thinking, given the age of the machine and its moderate to heavy use over its lifetime, perhaps the thermal compound has just had it and needs to be replaced? My IT manager at work has got some Arctic Silver 5 and some cleaning alcohol he's happy to give me, so I was planning to replace the thermal compound and reseat the cooler, and hope this fixes it. Am I looking in the right direction here or is there something I've missed?

I've never had hardware for this long in the past, so I'm starting to encounter issues I've never dealt with before.

So I've removed the cooler to replace the thermal paste, and I think I might just have found what was causing me the problem.

The thermal compound was absolutely rock solid, and aside from the traces on the right of the CPU, the CPU lid was absolutely spotless. In any case, I cleaned both and applied some new compound and reinstalled.

Result so far; I've been running it at the same reduced overclock as before (3.8Ghz), and before when running the Aida64 stress test it would hit 95-100 degrees in about a minute and begin throttling. With the new compound I left it running the stress test for 25 minutes and temperatures stayed between 62-68 degrees the whole time. Before when running games such as Forza Horizon 4 temperatures would stay in the high 70s with the odd spike to 85 degrees. With the new compound it stays around the mid 40s. Idle temperatures have gone down from 45-52 degrees to 24-29 degrees.

So overall it looks like the thermal compound was indeed the issue and luckily I don't need to replace the cooler. I'll run it for a couple of days like this and then slowly start bringing the overclock back to its original higher level.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 7, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Wow. I've seen thermal paste dry out and lose a bit of efficiency before, but never dry out so badly that it actually separates away from the CPU itself, which is what looks like happened here.

Also might want to ensure that you've got the sink installed tightly enough--as long as you're not using giant screwdrivers, it's hard to get so much torque on those things that you'd actually break something these days.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Is TSMC's 7nm process roughly equivalent to Intel's 10nm? I remember reading that the process numbers don't really reflect reality anymore.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

BurritoJustice posted:

Buildzoid did a video on the Z390 Aorus Xtreme and it seems to actually live up to it's "Godlike" price. The VRM is so efficiently that it was demonstrated running for 24 hours straight with a 9900k at 5.2GHz, running prime95 and with no heatsink or cooling on the VRM.

It also has everything but the kitchen sink.

As *should* a board that costs $550.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

il serpente cosmico posted:

Is TSMC's 7nm process roughly equivalent to Intel's 10nm? I remember reading that the process numbers don't really reflect reality anymore.

Roughly yeah. There are a bunch of different ways to measure it, but in most measures they are comparable. TSMC might be a little better in transistors per dollar, and Intel might be a little better in overall transistor speed. Obviously you can ignore GF below.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BIG HEADLINE posted:

As *should* a board that costs $550.

Hey its slightly cheaper than my 8700K + MSI Z370M mobo + 16GB DDR43000, what a steal

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Perplx posted:

My 9900k went from nov 5 to nov 12, now they say there is no fixed date. I work for a distributor so I'm paying $50 off retail but I can't wait much longer.

My order on Amazon just went to December 7 :wtc: This really is getting ridiculous.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Kestral posted:

My order on Amazon just went to December 7 :wtc: This really is getting ridiculous.

At least you have a date because I don't :(

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Provantage gave me a revised date of 11/15, but I somehow doubt that. Their original date was 12/6.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Kestral posted:

This is quickly turning into one of those exceptions in tech purchasing where waiting for Zen2's supposed 25% IPC increases might actually be not just a good idea, but how it will work out anyways.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Ok, I have the i9 and Jesus Christ the packaging is ridiculous. On top of that, the dice package comes in a black dice bag thing (like a power supply).

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Provantage gave me a revised date of 11/15, but I somehow doubt that. Their original date was 12/6.

My date changed from 11/15 to 12/6 so who knows.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Is ARM on servers the new Linux on desktop thing I keep hearing every year?

Hah, apparently I had set a reminder to myself for one year after this post.

Linux on the desktop: Well, Linux Apps on Chromebooks rolled out as official/stable a little under 2 months ago. Chromebooks were already a fairly popular Linux-based system but you can now actually run things like GIMP and Android Studio on a Chromebook in an official way.

ARM on servers: still mostly a nope I think. Qualcomm walked away from it. Should I check in next year?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Rastor posted:

ARM on servers: still mostly a nope I think. Qualcomm walked away from it. Should I check in next year?

Probably. I think ARM on the Desktop is coming soon(tm). The eternal rumor is that the progress Apple is making on their A00x chips will translate into real laptops at some point in the near future.

Problem with the server environment is that you have plenty of power and cooling to work with. The progress that has been made on ARM is on small & efficient where as Intel knows how to blow some power on computing.

I would expect ARMs to continue to grow in the dedication 'application' space (AI, storage, networking, etc). If I'm building a node to run a bunch of custom silicon for Tensorflow why not slap a decent ARM module down there and just run the loader OS on it. I'm pretty sure this is actually how the Google TPUs work.

I mean, how many ARM processors are there already in a normal rack mount server? I'm guessing half a dozen between management, security, etc. If not way more.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I was able to buy a 9900k yesterday and just got the shipping notice now, I just refreshed canadacomputers.com periodically yesterday and 2 came into stock. I think they came from in store stock, I could only ship it to my billing address. I did it just in time, they raised the price by $20 today.

Perplx fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 8, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

FunOne posted:

Probably. I think ARM on the Desktop is coming soon(tm). The eternal rumor is that the progress Apple is making on their A00x chips will translate into real laptops at some point in the near future.

Anand Shimpi (Anandtech founder, now works at Apple) may have dropped some hints in the recent article on A12X:

quote:

Mobile device comparisons aside, the laptop and desktop are more or less the ultimate target. "We値l actually take content from the desktop, profile it, and use it to drive our GPU architectures. This is one of the things that you usually don't see in a lot of mobile GPU benchmarks," Shimpi explained.

full interview here: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/11/apple-walks-ars-through-the-ipad-pros-a12x-system-on-a-chip/

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Seems like the hold up for those 9900k's is likely a shortage of dodecahedron packaging.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Laslow posted:

Seems like the hold up for those 9900k's is likely a shortage of dodecahedron packaging.

I'm imagining a frustrated warehouse worker being really annoyed that he can only fit 4 dodecahedrons in a box the size of a minifridge

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, but with the 9900k's thermal issues, you'd better loving believe I want the three year warranty of the boxed version over a tray-sold CPU that only carries, oh, *nothing*: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024255/processors.html

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, but with the 9900k's thermal issues, you'd better loving believe I want the three year warranty of the boxed version over a tray-sold CPU that only carries, oh, *nothing*: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024255/processors.html

Yikes, good to know. My 9900k just arrived today, I bought out my buddy痴 preorder when he got cold feet about it and went with an 8700k instead. Now I知 glad it came in the stupid packaging. Will be building tomorrow, will find out just how much this 2500k has been holding back my 1080Ti.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Laslow posted:

poo poo is hard to fold.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
The packaging is actually really annoying to open up and when the dang suddenly gave way, the box with the processor inside went flying out.

It's a pretty sweet chip though, especially when you can give it a 5 GHz all core at 1.26 V. AVX torture at a toasty 90 degrees, but Realbench at 70, and gaming/streaming in the mid-50s.

Sergeant Steiner posted:

Will be building tomorrow, will find out just how much this 2500k has been holding back my 1080Ti.

I did the same upgrade, though my graphics card is worse. I was surprised.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Even with a 970, the 2500k seems like it cant keep up in Battlefield V.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!
Battlefield 1 was one of the first titles that where it really became apparent my CPU was a significant bottleneck, so it痴 not too surprising. I知 still surprised it lasted me this long, and it might live a few more years yet, I知 giving that whole system minus the GPU to a relative who only wants it for farting around in graphic design programs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's kinda moot if you're going to OC though, innit it?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ItBreathes posted:

It's kinda moot if you're going to OC though, innit it?

Not really. Unless you're doing something wild (LN2, etc.) where you already accept that you're way outside the realm of normal, and a fuckup might turn a chunk of your chip into slag, actually frying a chip via overclocking is quite difficult to do, and also not easy to prove from Intel's side. Taking a 9900k to 5.0-5.2 or whatever with a reasonable voltage to it would not leave much of anything for Intel to reject a warranty claim for.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Sergeant Steiner posted:

Battlefield 1 was one of the first titles that where it really became apparent my CPU was a significant bottleneck, so it痴 not too surprising. I知 still surprised it lasted me this long, and it might live a few more years yet, I知 giving that whole system minus the GPU to a relative who only wants it for farting around in graphic design programs.

In some fairness to the 2500k, BF1 was a CPU hog. But yeah, I think the 2500k's time is probably in the rear window.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So it seems like this new generation is basically impossible to get a hold of unless you pre-ordered. Is that accurate?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

axeil posted:

So it seems like this new generation is basically impossible to get a hold of unless you pre-ordered. Is that accurate?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117958

????

You mean just the 9900k? That is hard right now to get a hold of, but the first month of release of intel is usually in and out of stock, it was for the 8700k too. The 9900k is kind of a specialty part and has high demand too, so it'll probably take a while to get stock stabilized.

Edit: Newegg also has the 9900k, but at a steep markup as opposed to the moderate 9700k markup. But it's still available.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

axeil posted:

For the 9900k, also impossible to get if you did pre-order, in many cases.

Some people have been able to snake one by setting up in-stock notifications and being real quick about it, but yeah, they're a bit hard to get ahold of right now.

The 9700k is easy to get from the usual vendors (NewEgg, Amazon, etc), though you'll pay a $20-$40 premium above Intel's MSRP right now. Same with the 9600k, but more like a $20 premium.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lockback posted:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117958

????

You mean just the 9900k? That is hard right now to get a hold of, but the first month of release of intel is usually in and out of stock, it was for the 8700k too. The 9900k is kind of a specialty part and has high demand too, so it'll probably take a while to get stock stabilized.

Edit: Newegg also has the 9900k, but at a steep markup as opposed to the moderate 9700k markup. But it's still available.

Oh nice!

I'm thinking of getting one for a Christmas present for myself.

What's the recommended motherboard to use? I've historically been using ASUS but I heard some rumor that they've got an issue with voltage on the new generation. Is there any substance to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Lockback posted:

In some fairness to the 2500k, BF1 was a CPU hog. But yeah, I think the 2500k's time is probably in the rear window.

Finally, that was one hell of an almost 8 year run.