Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah I think his attempts to coerce loyalty from Department of Justice staff is demonstrable obstruction and should've led to impeachment proceedings if we lived in a normal country.

The DoJ isn't special in that regard. He wants loyalty from everyone regardless of what they can do for him. Look at his press conference yesterday calling out the GOP incumbents who lost who didn't cuddle with him.

Collusion/Obstruction are mens rea crimes. I think even generously at this point, that is hard to prove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

corn in the bible posted:

Hays on the left would be even more amazing had democrats actually tried to run for most positions there... but fuckin hell that's quite a jump

See one thing people tend to forget about elections is that candidate recruitment is actually often quite difficult, and is absolutely crucial. This election will have a ripple effect because next go around stronger candidates will see numbers like this and conclude that certain races previously thought to be out of reach of democrats may be winnable.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I love this picture.

:negative:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I personally feel that a very public trial where Trump's crimes are put on public display immediately before 40+ Republican Senators have to publicly vote in favor of him, before an election...

I think that may have some intrinsic value.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Retro42 posted:

At this point I'll settle for his companies being razed to the ground and his family name eternally disgraced. No way in hell impeachment will ever occur. Even if we did get 2/3rd's I have the utmost confidence in Schumer going all :decorum:

i hate that smiley and disagree with your assertion

also these things

TulliusCicero posted:

...The dude fired the Director of the FBI for investigating things, then went on record in a live interview and told the world he fired the Director of the FBI for investigating things.

Then he fired several more people. Then he tried to stop Mueller several times from doing the investigation.

No obstruction case on Trump?

Deteriorata posted:

Of course Trump personally colluded. He's been laundering money for the Russian oligarchs for decades. He's up to his eyeballs in Russian money. He doesn't think it's collusion because for him it was just business as usual.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kimsemus posted:

The DoJ isn't special in that regard. He wants loyalty from everyone regardless of what they can do for him. Look at his press conference yesterday calling out the GOP incumbents who lost who didn't cuddle with him.

Collusion/Obstruction are mens rea crimes. I think even generously at this point, that is hard to prove.

It is special in that he is under active investigation by an extension of the Department of Justice and was clearly attempting to dissuade this process, up to and including firing the head of the FBI to accomplish that.

Of course there will be no consequences for this, but he absolutely was obstructing.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Kimsemus posted:

You're super dumb lol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jarmak posted:

Beto lost by 2.6% and based on current trends Texas will be bluer in 2020, there's only so much gerrymandering can do.

I think that people are right though, Beto is a special case and you should look at the other statewide elections to see what's up. We couldn't even get rid of our AG, an actual criminal who will probably go to jail

Prophecy0
Jun 27, 2004

Fuuuuuuuuck. I am so sick and tired of this poo poo being commonplace in this country.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
https://hotspotatl.com/3737012/700-wrapped-voting-machines-found-in-a-georgia-warehouse/

quote:

700 Wrapped Voting Machines Found In A Georgia Warehouse

o.o

brian kemp you piece of poo poo

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Google Butt posted:

You're super dumb lol

Yeah I'm dumb for thinking Trump will never be impeached. :laffo:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Doctor Butts posted:

I can't even describe how much I hope Mueller's probe uncovers uncontrovertible proof of multiple big federal and state crimes by both the president and his cronies.

Lol, this is like hitching your survival on winning the lottery.......

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kimsemus posted:

I don't disagree. My personal belief, for what it's worth, is Trump is surrounded by bad actors, but I don't think he himself colluded/obstructed. I can go into detail on this, but it's nothing people haven't already heard.
Yeah trump's really known for keeping his hands clean

He may not have intentionally plotted but there's no way he's clean.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Kimsemus posted:

Do you want Mueller to leak to affect an election against DoJ policy, or do you want him to produce a report people take seriously that makes charges stick? Use your noodle and play the long game.
Yup. I see it now: Mueller releases a professional report which proves with serious citations that the president is corrupt and we never hear the phrase "witch hunt" again.

All trump has been doing is preparing for a "professional report". Gulianni's entire JOB is to prepare for a professional report, he literally said this, out loud, on live TV. There's a GIGANTIC disadvantage you run into when you're the only side playing by the rules, haven't you ever seen "Die Hard"? trump has been preparing for the FBI to cut the power this entire time, he's got their playbook and has defeated it before.

Unfortunately I just can't think of a solution. People in my family are this trump style "lie directly to your face" type person and you JUST. CAN'T. WIN.
"Why did you do this?"
"I never did that."
"I have proof you did."
"No you don't."
"Yes, I do."
"No you don't."
And eventually you just give the gently caress up. It's the same exact problem we've been having with Republicans for decades. It's literally how trump has lived his entire life. We aren't going to win this game against the master.

And this is NOT a "nothing matters" post, it's a "the current system we're using and counting on will not work this time you guys for gently caress's sake" post. We need to think of something different because "THIS time we got him!" has been yelled about trump for 60+ years and you know how it always ends?

"No, you don't."

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 8, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kimsemus posted:

you could always toxx on it

nobody tell him the difference between impeachment and conviction

Tibalt posted:

Impeachment is almost certain.

Removal from office is very unlikely at this point.

what did i just say :argh:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah trump's really known for keeping his hands clean

He may not have intentionally plotted but there's no way he's clean.

Well let me frame it this way: Is there/will there be enough of a case for him to be impeached?

My belief is no. If I'm wrong then serves me right, but I just don't see it reaching that high. I truly believe he'd even let his son fall on his sword for him before he'd see impeachment.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Kimsemus posted:

No, you're dumb for thinking that it can't be proven that trump crash clearly obstructed justice

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

loving yikes at this rationale for voting for DeSantis over Gillum:

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1060544264973750275

Impressive how she said all of that without saying "uppity".

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Google Butt posted:

No, you're dumb for thinking that it can't be proven that trump crash clearly obstructed justice

Not so dumb as you thinking it'll see him removed from office :smuggo:

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

InsertPotPun posted:

Yup. I see it now: Mueller releases a professional report which proves with serious citations that the president is corrupt and we never hear the phrase "witch hunt" again.

All trump has been doing is preparing for a "professional report". Gulianni's entire JOB is to prepare for a professional report. There's a GIGANTIC disadvantage you run into when you're the only side playing by the rules, haven't you ever seen "Die Hard"? trump has been preparing for the FBI to cut the power this entire time, he's got their playbook and has defeated it before.

Unfortunately I just can't think of a solution. People in my family are this trump style "lie directly to your face" type person and you JUST. CAN'T. WIN.
"Why did you do this?"
"I never did that."
"I have proof you did."
"No you don't."
"Yes, I do."
"No you don't."
And eventually you just give the gently caress up. It's the same exact problem we've been having with Republicans for decades. It's literally how trump has lived his entire life. We aren't going to win this game against the master.

And this is NOT a "nothing matters" post, it's a "the current system we're using and counting on will not work this time you guys for gently caress's sake" post. We need to think of something different because "THIS time we got him!" has been yelled about trump for 60+ years and you know how it always ends?

"No, you don't."

You are aware that Trump has never had the full force of the FBI investigating him right? Like, it has mostly been civil litigation, not criminal investigation. His playbook isn't really that relevant here and for the record, Nixon tried that strategy. Didn't really work out so well for him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Prester Jane posted:

I imagine its quite nice to live in such a privileged bubble that you can trivially sacrifice other people's liberties and rights for potential gains- and when it doesn't pan out you just kind of shrugg your shoulders and go "that's how the cookie crumbles". :shrug:

The ends are stupid and pointless when you don't actually get the ends.

When you make a huge sacrifice and don't get anything in return, then yeah the sacrifice was not worth it. The reason our conversation is breaking down though is because you didn't make that sacrifice, other people did. Specifically LGBT and women. As you are none of those categories this is purely an intellectual exercise to you. You aren't going to directly suffer the consequences of what cabinet does to LGBT or reproductive rights so this is just like a game to you.

there's not a sacrifice of "other people's liberties" because kavanaugh was getting confirmed. we got the end, manchin's seat is still in democratic hands. again: you can make a moral argument, and that's a strong argument. stupidly arguing about observable facts that requires you to make such stunningly stupid arguments as redefining "decisive vote" into meaning "any vote for something that passed" and claiming that winning a six year senate seat is meaningless if you do not also take the senate that year.

and you know nothing about me or about what matters to me, so you can go gently caress yourself. it is because these things are very important that i consider it necessary to do what is necessary to get them reversed, however distasteful because getting them reversed is the most important thing, because of how loving important it is. go gently caress yourself, you stupid self-righteous piece of poo poo.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Kimsemus posted:

drat, dude really doesn't know the difference between the house and senate. Wild.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

InsertPotPun posted:

"Why did you do this?"
"I never did that."
"I have proof you did."
"No you don't."
"Yes, I do."
"No you don't."

"No, you don't."

Unfortunately the only real answer to people like that is physical force, which in our society has to come through the legal system.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kimsemus posted:

No one really disagrees with that. You sound more like you don't think he actually is guilty or could be "impeached" in the court of public opinion.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Jarmak posted:

Beto lost by 2.6% and based on current trends Texas will be bluer in 2020, there's only so much gerrymandering can do.

Cruz is extremely unpopular in texas, even among republicans. Beto was campaigning like a madman in texas. Republicans in texas will probably still like trump more in 2020 than they like cruz and the dem nominee isn't going to be campaigning in texas every day like beto did

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

You will never convince a chud of anything

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

No one really disagrees with that. You sound more like you don't think he actually is guilty or could be "impeached" in the court of public opinion.

I'm salient on that point. I guess I just ignore things that don't matter in the end.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Kimsemus posted:

Impeachment is not the same thing as removal from office and your lack of delineation between this is why people think you're a moron.

Clinton was impeached.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kimsemus posted:

Well let me frame it this way: Is there/will there be enough of a case for him to be impeached?

My belief is no. If I'm wrong then serves me right, but I just don't see it reaching that high. I truly believe he'd even let his son fall on his sword for him before he'd see impeachment.

Trump could have been impeached off the Trump University fraud allegations alone. It's a political process.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The hosed up thing about these cheaters is that they can't even cheat well, so "Maybe the truth is in the middle" narratives now just have to just basically ignore that every hand, they're just pulling a bunch of cards out of their coat pocket and throwing away what they were dealt, obviously, in front of everyone.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tibalt posted:

I do not believe that Democrats will move to impeach Trump unless they have evidence strongly enough that refusing to vote to convict will backfire on Republicans. If they have that evidence, I think they'll impeach even if they know that Republicans won't convict. But I think that their end game is to put all of this evidence into the public domain by 2020 and hope the American people make the right decision that time.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Trump could have been impeached off the Trump University fraud allegations alone. It's a political process.

While I agree you *can* be impeached for a lot of things, being impeached, a la Clinton, and being removed from office, or convicted, are different. Impeachment is a legislative process.

What I'm arguing, and ultimately trying to convey, poorly I suppose, is his impeachment doesn't matter because he will not be removed from office.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

Impeachment is not the same thing as removal from office and your lack of delineation between this is why people think you're a moron.

Clinton was impeached.

As was Andrew Johnson (who only survived removal by one vote), and, as a reminder, not even Nixon was removed from office via impeachment, technically. He resigned before he could be.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Mrs. Dash posted:

Cruz is extremely unpopular in texas, even among republicans. Beto was campaigning like a madman in texas. Republicans in texas will probably still like trump more in 2020 than they like cruz and the dem nominee isn't going to be campaigning in texas every day like beto did

They should be though. The message Texans should take away from this isn't "Beto lost", it's that Texas is clearly turning purple and it's time to bring your A game.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

I read somewhere else (forget where now) that those were wrapped up and in storage so that they could be investigated as potentially faulty machines that mis-record votes. So same result - longer poll lines, and same reason - voter disenfranchisement, but slightly different minutiae than it initially seems.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

friendbot2000 posted:

You are aware that Trump has never had the full force of the FBI investigating him right? Like, it has mostly been civil litigation, not criminal investigation. His playbook isn't really that relevant here and for the record, Nixon tried that strategy. Didn't really work out so well for him.
It doesn't matter who is investigating him, I'm talking about after the investigation when the majority of the country has to agree to a single objective reality in order to make change (actually a small minority of a small minority has to be convinced the damage will be higher the longer they keep trump around by the screaming of the majority of the country and that little space where they usually have a heart swallows a LOT of voices).

And Nixon had more humanity than trump, it was possible to break him.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Kimsemus posted:

Whether or not Trump obstructed justice depends mostly on the unsolved question of whether the President even CAN obstruct justice in a federal case, seeing as he is the ultimate law enforcement authority. If, legally speaking, he can, then he definitely did.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Prester Jane posted:

I imagine its quite nice to live in such a privileged bubble that you can trivially sacrifice other people's liberties and rights for potential gains- and when it doesn't pan out you just kind of shrugg your shoulders and go "that's how the cookie crumbles". :shrug:

The ends are stupid and pointless when you don't actually get the ends.

When you make a huge sacrifice and don't get anything in return, then yeah the sacrifice was not worth it. The reason our conversation is breaking down though is because you didn't make that sacrifice, other people did. Specifically LGBT and women. As you are none of those categories this is purely an intellectual exercise to you. You aren't going to directly suffer the consequences of what cabinet does to LGBT or reproductive rights so this is just like a game to you.

When his vote mattered and millions of people's healthcare was one the line, he voted the right way.

When his vote didn't matter, on Kavanugh, who would have been confirmed regardless, he voted the wrong way.

It's weird that you prefer the symbolic victories over the ones that materially affect people, while at the same time accusing those who prefer the material victories of living in a "privileged bubble."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I do not believe that Democrats will move to impeach Trump unless they have evidence strongly enough that refusing to vote to convict will backfire on Republicans. If they have that evidence, I think they'll impeach even if they know that Republicans won't convict. But I think that their end game is to put all of this evidence into the public domain by 2020 and hope the American people make the right decision that time.

Agreed. I think it would actually be a mistake to impeach without the votes in the Senate to remove. That will be spun as political persecution and give Trump a stronger position. If the Republicans stonewall, it will be much more effective to make it a campaign issue in 2020 and vote him out.

The objective is to get him out of office ASAP. Actions should be directed to that end, not making empty statements.