Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

And another GM player in the enemy team. I'm done for tonight, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Now I feel bad for playing so much QM.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Hey, don't feel bad about being matched up against GMs, I was queuing up with an HGC pro and a silver player and we went 1-4 the other night.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

E: ^^ I queue a lot with my irl friends who are between bronze 5 and silver 3 and we lose most of our games, apparently 1 masters player and a bunch of bronze is worse than a team of plats

Yeah I see force king all the time that guy blows. Don't solo queue in the teams mode if you expect fair games I guess?

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 7, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Team league is the main ranked mode now though, its queue times are a fraction the length of HL's.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Then find you a team. Hopefully they implement the looking for group system from Overwatch, it's pretty successful

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Was there a timeline for the new QM update? Or the merged HL for that matter? Or is it just a Blizzard "soon" thing?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

ToastyPotato posted:

Was there a timeline for the new QM update? Or the merged HL for that matter? Or is it just a Blizzard "soon" thing?

It's most likely going to happen Season 1 2019, so January-ish.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Worst talent discussion...I've been playing a lot of Junkrat recently and in one match when I dinged 16 in the middle of a teamfight I clicked the wrong talent. Instead of picking Endless Nades (which I am sure must be one of the most heavily picked talents on any character at any tier), I accidentally selected Burst Fire. This is the ONLY talent that I am aware of that actually makes the character worse. I would literally have been better selecting nothing, and considering that Endless Nades is actually a significant power spike at the same tier, I am certain Burst Fire is the worst talent in the game.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Endless nades are picked 48% of the time and has the lowest win rate of the three. (I know, statistics are deceiving and should not be overinterpreted yada yada but it’s still fun to discuss them.)

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Star posted:

Endless nades are picked 48% of the time and has the lowest win rate of the three. (I know, statistics are deceiving and should not be overinterpreted yada yada but it’s still fun to discuss them.)

It's still a bad talent. Because it's picked a lot the statistics are better.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

lucifirius posted:

It's still a bad talent. Because it's picked a lot the statistics are better.

What?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Oh right that looks incoherent. The talent is bad, and because it's picked quite a bit the statistics are generally pretty decent.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Why is Endless Nades bad?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Charles Bukowski posted:

Why is Endless Nades bad?

It's not, it's just the most popular talent on a 48% winrate hero.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I'm a dumbass, please ignore me. Endless nades is the good talent, it's spread volley that's bad. :fail:

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Endless Nades is the one that gives CDR on grenades when you hit a hero. IMO its a fantastic talent and in team fights with 2 or more enemy heroes it generally can give literally non-stop grenade spamming. Even more so when stacked with the Level 20 talent that increases the size of grenade AoE.

Burst Fire is the talent that takes away 1 charge of grenade, and fires all 3 with one click and also gives a 6s CD reduction. Its dreadful.

Spread Volley looks interesting but I have to admit I've never tried it. Can't imagine it competing with Endless Nades though.

I've literally only every played with one build on Junkrat (except 1 game where I tried Rocket Ride which is amazing fun but sub-par). He's the least talent-diverse hero I've played, but luckily his one build is good fun (IMO).

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Spreadly volley it decent at bursting the poo poo out of someone close to you who isn't expecting it. It's not the worst talent in the world imo.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

junkrat rules but needs a lil bump. Maybe more HP? His teamfight damage is pretty poor until 16 at which point it becomes just absurd, since you can button mash q from screen away and pour on the damage

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

I can't seem to make zeratul work. I feel so squishy.

Any tips?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
A safe build is one that takes Q talents and the blink talent that lets you use it again to warp back to where you started. All you do is blink in, hit q, auto and then blink back. I dont die very much with it.

This doesn't do as much dps as the spell spam AA build but its not as risky. That is what I know about Zeratul.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Paranoid Peanut posted:

I can't seem to make zeratul work. I feel so squishy.

Any tips?

You are squishy. Your biggest spikes are 16 and 20 with an honorable mention at 7. You can kill most other assassins or take them super low without taking much in return but yeah you can't stay in fights very long.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Zeratul is good fun because how you play him changes as you get more talents and based on which talents you pick.
Q build is much easier, spell build is more fun.
Both ults are viable, VP has more team synergy while might is your hard carry pick.

I recommend this build and combo if you are learning.
https://www.icy-veins.com/heroes/talent-calculator/zeratul#39.2!1111321
Blink in, Q, wormhole out; changes at 20 to blink -> Q R Q -> wormhole

Play him enough and you can do dumb poo poo like this
https://www.icy-veins.com/heroes/talent-calculator/zeratul#39.2!1221331
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1KuwHh0gfs

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
VP is the most fun (and strongest) ult in the game and you're playing him wrong by not picking it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
VP is also an ult that can gently caress over your own team completely when used incorrectly. It's still strong and good but it does have downsides. Also the power spike from his other ult is really big too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man I watched the audience reaction to the Overwatch portion of the opening ceremony and then I watched the HOTS one.

There was exactly zero hype at all aside from like a few laughs when Janitor Leroic was shown. Meanwhile the Overwatch audience was going nuts

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

bamhand posted:

VP is also an ult that can gently caress over your own team completely when used incorrectly. It's still strong and good but it does have downsides. Also the power spike from his other ult is really big too.

Yeah it's like Zag's dumb maw ult. Hmm got a low health hero about to die? Fenix is currently ulting them? Better use maw to not kill them and give the enemy team a chance.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Man I watched the audience reaction to the Overwatch portion of the opening ceremony and then I watched the HOTS one.

There was exactly zero hype at all aside from like a few laughs when Janitor Leroic was shown. Meanwhile the Overwatch audience was going nuts

Wasn't HotS one of the only games to not get a designated hypeman before their announcements?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
if hots had a hype man I'm sure the crowd would have put overwatch's to shame.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Macaluso posted:

hots gets new heroes all the time, overwatch only gets like 3 or 4 per year.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Been solo queuing in QM with Illidan. Really gotta watch what kind of fights I get into and the wild west of QM can gently caress you sometimes but he's just so drat fun to juke skills with. :allears:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

lucifirius posted:

I'm a dumbass, please ignore me. Endless nades is the good talent, it's spread volley that's bad. :fail:

Spread Volley is actually really good when used correctly and can outright delete melee dives because you triple your Q's damage potential with the push of a button. It's basically a second ult and does nasty things to clumped teams.

The problem is that Junkrat already has multiple tools to counter melee dives (mine, trap, instatire) and Endless Nades directly empowers his q's main purpose (poke/harass at range).

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Something of note I just saw in the AMA today:

"Party restrictions as well as hero ownership/level restrictions will return with the release of the new ranked mode, perhaps even sooner than that. The one big change we’re planning on making here is that if you queue as a group of five we will remove these party restrictions, but set the party MMR to match the most skilled player in the party. In this way a GM can play with their bronze friends… but they’re going to get matched up against other GM teams."

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

:eyepop: thats gonna cause some hilarity for sure.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Kith posted:

Spread Volley is actually really good when used correctly and can outright delete melee dives because you triple your Q's damage potential with the push of a button. It's basically a second ult and does nasty things to clumped teams.

The problem is that Junkrat already has multiple tools to counter melee dives (mine, trap, instatire) and Endless Nades directly empowers his q's main purpose (poke/harass at range).

Even so, if the enemy team has a lot of dive and your front line doesn't have a lot of peel, Spread Volley is a good "gently caress off" button to keep yourself alive and delete an enemy player. If you have found yourself able to poke unharrassed up until 13, take endless nades, if you keep getting dived, take spread volley.

Spread Volley also means you can cap any merc camp in about 3 seconds on a 30 second cooldown, which is sometimes worth considering.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

So their "fix" to ranked is "gently caress it let's burn it down?" Guess I never have to worry about playing this game again.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

There aren't enough players to maintain two separate leagues. There hasn't been for a while. The only way they can sustain it is to merge them. If people actually played rank and the game brought in a ton of new players, then they could easily split it again. Obviously they cannot walk onto the Blizzcon stage and say "rank mode is dying lol", so you have to put 2 and 2 together yourself.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I am totally 100% cool with Ranked burning down and just moving to unified MMR. I know more than a few people who managed to fail upwards in Team League while maintaining a below-average MMR, so things getting adjusted to more accurately track everyone's relative skill level will be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

beejay posted:

So their "fix" to ranked is "gently caress it let's burn it down?" Guess I never have to worry about playing this game again.

Considering pretty much the only thing I've ever seen you post in this thread is how much you think the game sucks and is bad I'm not really sure this'll be much of a loss.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

junkrat rules but needs a lil bump. Maybe more HP? His teamfight damage is pretty poor until 16 at which point it becomes just absurd, since you can button mash q from screen away and pour on the damage

Junkrat's a character that could benefit from some talent shakeup. I'd honestly give him Taste For Explosions as a baseline quest because it's one of those "you'd be a fool not to take this" talents, and removing the need for it as a pick opens up some room for trap and mine oriented builds.