Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1060542192773750786?s=19

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Well that really isn't surprising in the slightest. Hell certain Remainers will flat out say that's why there should be another vote.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Good, get the gently caress off this mortal coil you brexit twats

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
Old people are the worst except my mum she’s cool

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

Cheap drinks and meat raffles.

I will admit to ending up in a Conservative club on a pub crawl and the members that were there did say as much that no one gives a poo poo what your politics actually are.

However the decor was Winston Churchill and the Queen everywhere so it's hardly a neutral environment.

A picture of me looking sad sitting under a picture of her queen is on my Facebook and every year the post is revived and a fresh round of mocking from my left-wing mates starts.

Consrvative clubs: not even once.

Yeah. I'm sure I mentioned in a previous incarnation of this thread that my girlfriend (who votes Green) and her mum (who votes Labour) are both member of the Conservative Club in our town. Neither of them (perhaps to their credit?) are quite as politically neurotic as I have become in recent years and don't see any problem with it - it does good quality food and drink at low prices, it's somewhere to go for a natter/quiz/pool/live music and it's somewhere to park for free right in the middle of town. It's not funding the actual Conservative Party and it's not like the people there spend all (or, apparently, any) of their time discussing politics so it doesn't really bother them. There's a lot of (small c)onservative social views bandied around, which my girlfriend just eye-rolls and then "did you hear that guy on the table behind us? Talk about 'gammon'?!' on the walk back home. Her mum probably agrees with a lot of the chat and you'd probably find exactly the same sort of discourse in a Labour Club if this town had one, judging from what the CLP are like.

My Gf's mum has actually landed up as events manager there, mostly because she was the only one who applied who knew how to use the internet. I don't find it especially relaxing to have lunch in the Margaret Thatcher Suite with blue wallpaper and pictures of Reagan and Churchill on the wall so I don't go there any more. It was illuminating in some sense - the average age of the membership must be about 60, my gf and I were the only ones there under 40 and there was always an 'obituaries' display in the foyer as you went in for members who had recently passed away.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yes, which is why nobody over 60 should have had a vote in the referendum. My mother said that at the time, and she was over 60 herself. People who are not part of the future have no business deciding it for others.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
You can't just not let old people vote. That would be undemocratic. Just weight the vote by years-left-by-age-expectancy....

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

my house backs onto a tory club, they're not great neighbours. also iirc rather than pulling pints they have this thing where the bar staff press a button and it dispenses the exact measure, presumably to stop the staff from stealing drinks. idk

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46137624

BBC News posted:

Online property adverts 'refusing' tenants on benefits

I've seen this a lot looking for rental properties over the years. What doesn't make sense to me is that housing benefit is paid directly to the landlord, so if anything is less of a risk. What it is of course is discrimination. I got into a Twitter spat with a landlord who wouldn't take on tenants with housing benefit and his response was something to do with the state that 'those people' leave the house in, as if HB tenants are a homogeneous group of chav smack addicts.

If there's one good thing about universal credit it's that this kind of discrimination will become far harder, because the landlord doesn't need to know you're receiving it.

If landlords and mortgage lenders really want to reduce risk of non payment, why aren't rental payments kept on your credit record?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

EvilGenius posted:

I've seen this a lot looking for rental properties over the years. What doesn't make sense to me is that housing benefit is paid directly to the landlord, so if anything is less of a risk. What it is of course is discrimination. I got into a Twitter spat with a landlord who wouldn't take on tenants with housing benefit and his response was something to do with the state that 'those people' leave the house in, as if HB tenants are a homogeneous group of chav smack addicts.

If there's one good thing about universal credit it's that this kind of discrimination will become far harder, because the landlord doesn't need to know you're receiving it.

If landlords and mortgage lenders really want to reduce risk of non payment, why aren't rental payments kept on your credit record?

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN07008/SN07008.pdf

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

All Landlords Must Hang is an everlasting, unassailable message.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Generic Monk posted:

my house backs onto a tory club, they're not great neighbours. also iirc rather than pulling pints they have this thing where the bar staff press a button and it dispenses the exact measure, presumably to stop the staff from stealing drinks. idk
This is extremely non-conservative.

I'm not a Tory by any means but the thought of someone dispensing a pint of bitter like some kind of vending machine rather than pulling correctly on a big wooden lever makes me turn bright beetroot and shocks my hair white and also styled like

and then I consider going on Question Time.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jedit posted:

Yes, which is why nobody over 60 should have had a vote in the referendum. My mother said that at the time, and she was over 60 herself. People who are not part of the future have no business deciding it for others.

Pablo Bluth posted:

You can't just not let old people vote. That would be undemocratic. Just weight the vote by years-left-by-age-expectancy....

*Checks the stats on how poverty, stress, work related injuries and their relationship with other things affect life expectancy*

Hmmm, yes let's never give the povvos a vote, this seems fine.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Make 'poor' a protected characteristic under the equality act, got it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

BalloonFish posted:

Yeah. I'm sure I mentioned in a previous incarnation of this thread that my girlfriend (who votes Green) and her mum (who votes Labour) are both member of the Conservative Club in our town. Neither of them (perhaps to their credit?) are quite as politically neurotic as I have become in recent years and don't see any problem with it - it does good quality food and drink at low prices, it's somewhere to go for a natter/quiz/pool/live music and it's somewhere to park for free right in the middle of town. It's not funding the actual Conservative Party and it's not like the people there spend all (or, apparently, any) of their time discussing politics so it doesn't really bother them. There's a lot of (small c)onservative social views bandied around, which my girlfriend just eye-rolls and then "did you hear that guy on the table behind us? Talk about 'gammon'?!' on the walk back home. Her mum probably agrees with a lot of the chat and you'd probably find exactly the same sort of discourse in a Labour Club if this town had one, judging from what the CLP are like.

My Gf's mum has actually landed up as events manager there, mostly because she was the only one who applied who knew how to use the internet. I don't find it especially relaxing to have lunch in the Margaret Thatcher Suite with blue wallpaper and pictures of Reagan and Churchill on the wall so I don't go there any more. It was illuminating in some sense - the average age of the membership must be about 60, my gf and I were the only ones there under 40 and there was always an 'obituaries' display in the foyer as you went in for members who had recently passed away.

Sounds like a masonic lodge for people who prefer footie to cricket.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

namesake posted:

*Checks the stats on how poverty, stress, work related injuries and their relationship with other things affect life expectancy*

I was only suggesting comparing against life expectancy nationally, not profiling every voter individually...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

EvilGenius posted:

What doesn't make sense to me is that housing benefit is paid directly to the landlord, so if anything is less of a risk.

On my way to a sunny spot on the wall to say - many moons ago I was a landlord (couldn't sell house but had to move to London for work - was living in bedsit myself!) and had a couple of tenants on housing benefit 'paid direct to landlord'. It was a nightmare. You'd get no rent paid for one for up to 3 months. Then you'd get a giro for 12 weeks 'arrears' and in the same post on the same day you'd get a letter from the same department giving you the 12 weeks 'arrears' saying they weren't entitled to it and they would be taking 12 weeks rent off what they paid for the other tenant. This went on and on. At no point at all was I ever certain that I had the rent or not. And quite frankly, had I not been getting the rent directly and hence all the conflicting letters from the Housing Benefit dept, I would never ever have believed any tenant telling me this.

EvilGenius posted:

[

Experian are just starting such a scheme. Not sure how many others may be following suit.

https://www.yourmoney.com/household-bills/experian-launches-rent-payment-database-help-tenants-build-credit-history/

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 8, 2018

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

namesake posted:

Not an issue if you don't condition the life expectancy variable on those factors.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Sounds like a masonic lodge for people who prefer footie to cricket.

I get the impression that's exactly what it is. Lots of local small-business owners/self-employed/BTL landlords who, even if they're not paid-up Conservative members, are Conservative voters with Conservative views and enjoy chatting and networking with people in their same socio-economic circle who share their interests (in both senses).

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

I was only suggesting comparing against life expectancy nationally, not profiling every voter individually...

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Not an issue if you don't condition the life expectancy variable on those factors.

Then it's a weird disenfranchising policy not really based on anything at all except a dislike of the elderly.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I just want to chime in and say I fully support anyone who goes conservative clubbing.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

This is extremely non-conservative.

I'm not a Tory by any means but the thought of someone dispensing a pint of bitter like some kind of vending machine rather than pulling correctly on a big wooden lever makes me turn bright beetroot and shocks my hair white and also styled like

and then I consider going on Question Time.

it'd turn you Austro-Hungarian? yeah it's bizzare; I live in a safe labour seat down the road from the old rover factory (now a soulless retail park!) so maybe that's addled them somewhat idk

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I've only ever been into the local Tory club once, and that was to get paid £5 for market research. We were cordoned off from the rest of the club, but it was like walking into a loving waxwork tomb.

Loads of sullen old gammon sitting there, mulling over barely drunk pints. I'm used to the murmur of pub and bar chatter, but it was quiet as anything in there. Dismal and cold too.

There's actually two in my area, never been in the other one, seems a bit more lively though - as lively as groups of octogenarians coming outside for a fag can be, anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Generic Monk posted:

it'd turn you Austro-Hungarian?
Yes.

I have no problem with modern technology making things better and more efficient, and if all you're doing is trying to get alcohol into your body then whiskey or vodka via a can or a vending machine or a Murphy drip is fine, whatever.

But if I'm specifically going for a pint of bitter in a proper pint glass with a crown on it and sitting in a high wingback chair in a country pub near a crackling log fire, where the only reading materials younger than Prince Charles are a week old county newspaper and some kind of magazine with a labrador and a man in a wax jacket on the front, then that pint better be slowly pulled by hand like my grandad showed me how to, and anything else and I will channel the facial hair of long dead rulers of HRE successors until they can do beer properly.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

namesake posted:

Then it's a weird disenfranchising policy not really based on anything at all except a dislike of the elderly.
Clearly it's not something that would ever be implemented but it's not without logic. For something like a Brexit vote, an 18 year old is going to live with the consequences longer than someone like me who is now creeping towards middle age, and I in turn will live with the consequences than those who have already hit old age.

It's got more logic than Brexit.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

namesake posted:

It's essentially a compromise between the unworkability of a continuous referendum and the unfairness of a one shot referendum, amplifying the votes of the people who'd get to vote the most in a continuous referendum (and those most representative of those not yet allowed to vote) relative to those who wouldn't get a vote if the referendum happened a few years later. Not basing it on anything else than age is pretty much a requirement though, to keep votes anonymous.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I've never been in a conservative club.

I've been to the RAF club in Edinburgh a couple times, as they let us run MTG events there. (Not tournaments, judge conferences)

First time I was going, I'd forgotten where it was hosted, and it was November 13th or so, after the 11th anyway, so as it was cold as balls I took the opportunity to wear my vintage RAF Greatcoat, and when we got there I was very awkward about having worn it when we were in the RAF club, but nobody said anything and I don't recall getting any funny looks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's got more logic than Brexit.
So's a loving 7402 by this point.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

quote:

Jeremy Hunt, the foreign secretary, has said he is confident that the UK and the EU will reach a Brexit deal within three weeks.

Dominic Raab, the Brexit secretary, has been branded “clueless” after admitting he did not fully understand the importance of the Dover-Calais border to the UK economy.

David Davis, the former Brexit secretary, has said MPs should vote down May’s Brexit deal because that would force the EU to make a better offer.

Can you imagine actually having faith in any of these people? :suicide:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Calais? That some kind of french sex thing?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Clearly it's not something that would ever be implemented but it's not without logic. For something like a Brexit vote, an 18 year old is going to live with the consequences longer than someone like me who is now creeping towards middle age, and I in turn will live with the consequences than those who have already hit old age.

Not if that 18 year old is terminally ill right now they won't. If you're doing an actuary exercise around life expectancy then you have to factor some of these things in or it's just a policy against the elderly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

God forbid someone be against the elderly.

They've done so much for us, after all.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

quote:

David Davis, the former Brexit secretary, has said MPs should vote down May’s Brexit deal because that would force the EU to make a better offer.

We're all dead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You say that but holding the population of the UK hostage is probably the most compelling argument the brexiters can level against the EU.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

namesake posted:

How about we just don't run referendums on issues where there is a risk that certain a demographic will be massively more negatively impacted by the result than others, and where multiple demographics are likely to not consider those at risk when voting? I'm thinking Northern Ireland and Gibraltar here as well as young people.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 8, 2018

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

EvilGenius posted:

How about we just don't run referendums on issues where there is a risk that certain demographic will be massively more negatively impacted by the result than others, and where multiple demographic's are likely to not consider those at risk when voting? I'm thinking Northern Ireland and Gibraltar here as well as young people.

Then we couldn't hold elections either? A party platform can mean ruin for an area or industry just as much as Brexit.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Jose I gotta say thank you for posting the highlights of America's rapidly quickening collapse so that I can continue not reading the US politics megathread

it's the actual content without having the rest of the posts inflicted upon me and it's much appreciated

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
There’s a dark magnificence to firing your general attorney the day after the election. Just full corrupt democracy, no fucks given.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We're all dead.

"Come on lads, throw their relief packages back into the channel. This will make the EU change their minds and give us a better offer!"
- David Davis a few years from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

namesake posted:

Then we couldn't hold elections either? A party platform can mean ruin for an area or industry just as much as Brexit.

General elections are completely different. The fewer seats the leading party has, the harder it is for them gently caress people over. In a referendum, if the government chooses to enact the result, they can dick over people based on a tiny majority voting a certain way.