Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/alexnazaryan/status/1060579337244688385
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1060538014433243137

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think racism is more of a factor than the FBI stuff.

They were mixed. The FBI stuff confirmed stereotypes the racists had about black people and made him seem instantly guilty to them. A loving Hamilton ticket.

DeSantis said he was going to work with Eric and Jr with the Trump business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
A reminder that we have separate threads for several subjects so this one doesn’t get bogged down: there’s a gunchat thread, 2020 Democratic Primary thread, and State/Local 2019 thread.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mcmagic posted:

No it doesn't. Sessions was fired, he didn't resign.

he was fired in that he was told to leave and did so, but he wasn't FIRED. if he was fired it would have to be against his agreement for it. as long as he says, ok mr president i will resign for you, it is a resignation.

it's like how CEOs always resign with golden parachutes--they're hardly ever forcibly removed because it makes them look bad and the people who picked him worse

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eke out posted:

lol kellyanne's husband doubles down about this about as hard as possible - arguing that it's not that they misused the VRA but rather that the VRA is unconstitutional insofar as it allows this

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1060589219591139328

thomas :allears:

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

So what you're saying is that we don't need to run Bloomberg, we just need to take all of his money and spend it on 2020 races.

This works. We should do this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Lightning Knight posted:

So what you're saying is that we don't need to run Bloomberg, we just need to take all of his money and spend it on 2020 races.

I would be okay with only $10M. For expenses.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The replies to Prison Paul's tweets lately have been turning against him to the point where more people are making fun of him than ever so I'm glad to see he's reaching the that fabled InfoWars zenith of getting poo poo on by even more people

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

I feel like taking his money would require a better president than we currently have already, so there may be a problem with this plan

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1060588661132197889

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

The replies to Prison Paul's tweets lately have been turning against him to the point where more people are making fun of him than ever so I'm glad to see he's reaching the that fabled InfoWars zenith of getting poo poo on by even more people

I cannot, for the life of me, reconcile that twinkie is only a couple of years younger than me. If you had asked me, I would have told you he was a 22 year old shitbird without dreams. I twas mind blowing when I found out he's like 37.

I'm almost fascinated to understand how he ended up like he did. It's not like he didn't have opportunities in this life.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
I'm still amazed Sessions actually left. Was the occasional angry tweet really too much to endure?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

He clearly means business if he brought Slenderman with him

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Phobic Nest posted:

I'm still amazed Sessions actually left. Was the occasional angry tweet really too much to endure?
If I know my folklore, elves and the like usually have some kind of tricksy, monkey's paw type plan in these situations. Whether or not it's a good plan is another matter.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Phobic Nest posted:

He was fired

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

also, what little evidence on money that exists suggest it doesn't matter that much in a presidential race (where both candidates have basically universal name recognition and the ability to get their message in front of voters) compared to individual house races where name recognition and getting your message out about who you are (as opposed to who your party is) is hard.

i do appreciate the bloomberg link though: getting better use out of the money raised is a big problem. not just on the democrats' side, the republicans threw five million dollars in a race they were outspent in into a race they had literally no hope at all of winning.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Adar posted:

I feel like taking his money would require a better president than we currently have already, so there may be a problem with this plan

i mean, the technical legal fig leaf a superpac requires is that it not be coordinated with a candidate or campaign, so if bloomberg wants to spend money the candidate literally is not allowed to stop him

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Basically this

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1060593075226140672?s=19

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

The rest are... not super likely. I'd give a big "mayyyyyyyybe?" to Kansas and Montana after Tuesday--neither seem likely to flip, but I think it can be done.

Sorry I know this is a few pages back. The right candidate can unseat Pat Roberts who is not popular here in Kansas.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Aren't there going to be nationwide protests tonight about that?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

evilweasel posted:

The Obama/Trump presidencies basically exacerbated the already present sorting of racists into the Republican party. There were plenty of vaugely racist democrats who voted for Obama because neither side directly appealed to their racism, but having a black president/being asked by BLM to actually treat black people equally and fairly/Trump telling them he, too, was racist and they should be allowed to say those things out loud flipped a lot of people for good.

Partially. There were also a ton of olds from the silent generation who voted solidly democrat, but when Obama got into office you saw an immediate 9% dip from around 50% to 41% and that block has since stayed there.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Dubya gave us outrage fatigue. Trump gives us alarm fatigue.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Adar posted:

Bloomberg's PAC focused on second tier races that weren't seeing any money and microtargeted super well. Even in a wave year you don't normally get results like this without competency:

https://twitter.com/jyarow/status/1060536086726918145

https://twitter.com/hellofasandwich/status/1056398039504416768

https://twitter.com/hellofasandwich/status/1055311743952412672

very cool. what about steyer though, the impression i got was that everyone thought he was annoying and counterproductive by trying to force an impeachment message when they wanted to run on health care?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

SocketWrench posted:

The fact they did this is just so loving stupid. Jesus Christ. Why? What possible outcome was going to come of this that benefited them against the millions of other captures of this? How loving dumb does the president and his gang of morons have to be?

Given the volume of outsight glee and cheering of the Acosta Press Pass Purge on the social networks, I'd say their dumb strategy worked.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hobo Clown posted:

Aren't there going to be nationwide protests tonight about that?

no

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

george conway continues to make this the most awkward marriage in america as kellyanne starts thumbing through her rolodex for a reporter she can shittalk her husband on background to who won't rat her out:

https://twitter.com/karentravers/status/1060592823878205441

(the basic argument is that, to the extent the VRA authorizes appointing someone not confirmed by the Senate, the VRA itself is unconstitutional)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I mean I hit maximum alarm 2 years ago and haven't stopped being alarmed since. What does Vox want from me?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I think it's a bad article because it implies America was democratic before Trump got elected

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i honestly think its because if people finally admit to it. it means its loving real and bad and something has to be done and it will get ugly and scary. but if you keep whistling, maybe it will go away. i think this mentality is on both sides(not counting the chuds and the ghouls who want this poo poo)

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

I would pick Gillum because I think we can still manage to flip a 54/46 Senate while Florida needs help right now to un-gently caress itself.

Plus blocking gerrymanders in 2020.

We're also losing 3 supreme court justices (two women, one if which is black), the only remaining justices from a Democrat governor. We also just raised the age of retirement to 75, and witht the next justice reaching that age in 2028. So this state is now on a 20 year unfucking plan.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Democrats may also be looking to make the argument McMagic wanted to make, that Sessions was fired as a factual matter and therefore the VRA does not apply (you could make both arguments at the same time in the same lawsuit; that the appointment was not valid under the VRA, but if it was, the VRA is unconstitutional)

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1060594604867809280

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Adar posted:

he bought the ads for candidates directly. clearly the lesson we need to learn from 2016 is that donating to the DNC is for loving idiots

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Ideally we'd take his money and use it to improve the lives of poor Americans but yeah this would be an ok use overall.

And Minnesota has it's chud areas, Collin Peterson, one of the original blue dogs, is still holding on in MN-07 despite Trump taking that district by like 18 points in 2016. My district, MN-06, used to be represented by Bachmann. Tom Emmer won it 61-39 in a year where basically everything in the state was leaning heavily democratic. Klobuchar wins because she appeals heavily to people in the state who hate partisanship. That poo poo was half the reason the independent party got any traction at all.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

for anyone else as masochistic as I am, Michael Dreeben is about to begin arguments in the DC Circuit that Mueller's appointment was proper and constitutional steamed live here

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Calibanibal posted:

just an fyi every time i see a cat picture itt, i will pet a cat against the grain ie backwards ie a reverse petting

My wife had next to no experience with cats, fortunately, the large neighbor's cat that hung out with us for years didn't care how she petted or held him.

Sadly the coyotes got to him a few months ago.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

evilweasel posted:

very cool. what about steyer though, the impression i got was that everyone thought he was annoying and counterproductive by trying to force an impeachment message when they wanted to run on health care?

less sure about steyer, I'll have to look him up if he makes running noises when I start handicapping the primary

Bloomberg is a pretty solid dark horse bet tbh, much better than Cuban or any of the other self funders (but I don't think he'll run)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

evilweasel posted:

Democrats may also be looking to make the argument McMagic wanted to make, that Sessions was fired as a factual matter and therefore the VRA does not apply (you could make both arguments at the same time in the same lawsuit; that the appointment was not valid under the VRA, but if it was, the VRA is unconstitutional)

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1060594604867809280

its not a bad argument. i mean sessions straight out says he was "asked to resign".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

YodaTFK posted:

Ideally we'd take his money and use it to improve the lives of poor Americans but yeah this would be an ok use overall.

And Minnesota has it's chud areas, Collin Peterson, one of the original blue dogs, is still holding on in MN-07 despite Trump taking that district by like 18 points in 2016. My district, MN-06, used to be represented by Bachmann. Tom Emmer won it 61-39 in a year where basically everything in the state was leaning heavily democratic. Klobuchar wins because she appeals heavily to people in the state who hate partisanship. That poo poo was half the reason the independent party got any traction at all.

you'd do both, take his money to get elected, then take his money via higher taxes to do good :sun:

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

he bought the ads for candidates directly. clearly the lesson we need to learn from 2016 is that donating to the DNC is for loving idiots

the national organizations are always filled with careerists, so I'd expect their exposure to analytics has been "copy/pasted a formula into excel one time"

also see stonetear's amazing job on Hillary's email security

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The first thing the DC Circuit says is that they'll need supplemental briefing on whether "yesterday's events" affect the arguments presented here, lol.

Maybe acknowledging that it's hard to claim that Mueller's a principal officer that can't be appointed like this, given yesterday's appointment of the attorney genereal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Adar posted:

Bloomberg's PAC focused on second tier races that weren't seeing any money and microtargeted super well. Even in a wave year you don't normally get results like this without competency:

https://twitter.com/hellofasandwich/status/1056398039504416768

CA49 is my district (Issa's former). Mike Levin is a good guy who actually understands climate issues.

Thank you Mr. Bloomberg.