Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think there's another doctrine you can pick up that does let you hold temples (temporal leadership?), so you'd probably take them in combination if you wanted an equivalent to Iqta government (they've already stated that there are special effects for having certain doctrinal combinations, so for some of them you might get a special government type).
I don't remember seeing that one. Temporal leadership I'm pretty certain just gives you the "head of religion" title, not lets you actually hold Temple baronies (any more than you can right now as Fylkir).

There's always a chance there's a special government combination in there, but without having seen it already, I wouldn't count on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It might just be possible that picking temporal leadership, and a combination of agnatic clans with either religious taxes or polygamy gives you the ability to hold temples.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I never realized how much not being able to hold temples bothered me till just this second for all the times I've been Fylkir

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

winterwerefox posted:

I never realized how much not being able to hold temples bothered me till just this second for all the times I've been Fylkir

It deprives you of the 5% bonus to MA you get when the head of religion holds a holy site, unless you are willing to just take an inferior holding.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The best thing about being able to hold temples is that you don't end up with random kin that are disinherited because they ended up being the heir to a temple somewhere.

It's also a good place to put matri married dynastic women where they can generate new potential heirs, but won't be plotted against as much as if they had been feudal vassals somewhere.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A bad thing about being able to hold temples is that when you think "oh, I'll give this great guy this temple" and then later thing "oh, I need to give away this province? Hand it to that guy" you've just created a bishopric and now you won't get the title of religious leader when you reform.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Omnicarus posted:

So after 627 hours in this game, I am finally thinking I will try Ironman mode before Honky Fury comes. Is there anything I should be aware of for this?

I just finished my first ironman game ever and can't imagine going back to non-ironman at this point. It definitely makes the game more fun. It also makes you think a bit longer about taking risks like going to war or imprisoning someone with a decent chance of escape/revolt.

This was my first time playing as a large empire and occasionally I was running into vassal limit issues. Is there a way to better visualize or understand what I can do to reduce it? I ended up just transferring counts or dukes to my heir in most cases, but sometimes that wouldn't work and I don't know why

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Commissar Canuck posted:

I just finished my first ironman game ever and can't imagine going back to non-ironman at this point. It definitely makes the game more fun. It also makes you think a bit longer about taking risks like going to war or imprisoning someone with a decent chance of escape/revolt.

This was my first time playing as a large empire and occasionally I was running into vassal limit issues. Is there a way to better visualize or understand what I can do to reduce it? I ended up just transferring counts or dukes to my heir in most cases, but sometimes that wouldn't work and I don't know why

Vassal limits mainly enforce the "natural" rank order. In a big empire, you don't want any counts among you direct vassal, transfer them all to their dukes. But even that can leave you exceeding your vassal limit if you play a big empire, which forces you to use vassal kings.

There are basically two limits on transferring vassals. The vassal you want to give away must not be at war, and you can only transfer dukes to their de jure kings.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Torrannor posted:

Vassal limits mainly enforce the "natural" rank order. In a big empire, you don't want any counts among you direct vassal, transfer them all to their dukes. But even that can leave you exceeding your vassal limit if you play a big empire, which forces you to use vassal kings.

There are basically two limits on transferring vassals. The vassal you want to give away must not be at war, and you can only transfer dukes to their de jure kings.

Ok, that makes more sense now. I assume the game auto filters the available vassals on the transfer vassals view? If so that would explain why I was getting a bunch of barons and bishops at one point only to see a random count when I tried it again with someone else a few minutes later

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Commissar Canuck posted:

Ok, that makes more sense now. I assume the game auto filters the available vassals on the transfer vassals view? If so that would explain why I was getting a bunch of barons and bishops at one point only to see a random count when I tried it again with someone else a few minutes later

Yes, if you are not allowed to transfer a vassal to somebody, they will not show up on the list.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Crusader Kings 2: loving my sister with Honky Fury

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ivan Shitskin posted:

Crusader Kings 2: loving my sister with Honky Fury
Incestuous Hellenist Hemophiliac: Honky Fury

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It Wasn't Zeus Who Made Honky Tonk Fury

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Crusader Kings 2: Zeus Vult

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'll write the new OP this weekend.

Do we have to write a mod to close this thread when I've posted the new one? If yes, one of you will have to do it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Red Bones posted:

Crusader Kings 2: I'm going to start my own religion! With polygamy! And incest!

I like this :3:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Quorum posted:

I mean, it is the Crusades update...

I'm wondering now what the hell Omni is typing that his phone autocorrected "Holy" to "Honky".

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

I'll write the new OP this weekend.

Do we have to write a mod to close this thread when I've posted the new one? If yes, one of you will have to do it.

Unless your thread has been coronated by the pope you have no legitimacy to close this one. This will be viewed as an act of tyranny.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Volkerball posted:

Unless your thread has been coronated by the pope you have no legitimacy to close this one. This will be viewed as an act of tyranny.

Just pack the new thread with posters who are loyal to you and it'll be fine

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

MaxieSatan posted:

Just pack the new thread with posters who are loyal to you and it'll be fine

Or pick seduction focus and... actually, never mind.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Jedit posted:

I'm wondering now what the hell Omni is typing that his phone autocorrected "Holy" to "Honky".

why is that a thing you'd even want to question? just bask in it's beauty.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Azhais posted:

Crusader Kings II: Honky Fury

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Out of the many new and fresh starts the expansion will provide, my first playthrough will likely be an attempt to infiltrate and reform the Honky Roman Empire.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wish there were more (english) books or sites dedicated to medieval/pagan baltic culture. I don't think I can properly RP as Lithuania otherwise.
Also it's fun to hypothesize an alternate eastern europe in which the Balts and not the Slavs had a population boom and expanded all over.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

yo when are we getting some pre release let's plays of holy fury?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tercio posted:

yo when are we getting some pre release let's plays of holy fury?

this weekeng

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm ready for some Honky Kings action. Don't know what I want my first game to be yet though. Probably Nords but I've been leaning towards Slavics lately.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
I'm going straight for West Africa, no question. I'm really glad Paradox gave them some cool poo poo.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

MaxieSatan posted:

I'm going straight for West Africa, no question. I'm really glad Paradox gave them some cool poo poo.

Same. Then maybe some flavor of Slav, I haven't decided yet.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I'm probably doing the boring thing and playing Catholic first because A) almost all of the new portrait sets are for Catholic areas B) the new Crusade mechanics look cool as hell and C) look at this loving dope-rear end helmet you can get

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm probably doing the boring thing and playing Catholic first because A) almost all of the new portrait sets are for Catholic areas B) the new Crusade mechanics look cool as hell and C) look at this loving dope-rear end helmet you can get

theyre really outdoing themselves with this one

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
+1 for West Africa. I like to roleplay my characters so I don't know if I'll get someone bloodthirsty. But if I do, boy howdy am I going for HAEMOARCH.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

Same. Then maybe some flavor of Slav, I haven't decided yet.

Same, but in reverse. I can't even decide how I want to reform the faith yet, there are so many good options.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Definitely gonna play the non-honky kings first. Last time I tried a Mali game it really sucked, but the new trade routes and reformation mechanics look like they lend themselves to a ck2 > eu4 game that I really want to try

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna put my vassal west African pope on his rightful throne in rome, and with his rightful title of king of Italia.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what impacts whether the fabricate claims event fires? I've had three chancellors grow old and die trying to get me a claim in Rome so I can install a Fraticelli pope

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

indigi posted:

what impacts whether the fabricate claims event fires? I've had three chancellors grow old and die trying to get me a claim in Rome so I can install a Fraticelli pope

Assuming your courtier isn't landed, double check them to see if they haven't had a sudden suspicious influx of cash. Someone being targeted by claim fabrication attempts sometimes gets an event that lets them bribe the fabricator to just quietly do nothing for a loooong time.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

indigi posted:

Why not just holy war for it if you're fraticelli?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Why not just holy war for it if you're fraticelli?

Or if you've got JD and are willing to probably take an opinion hit, just do a border dispute war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I mean if you're going to install a fraticelli pope the next crusade will be for rome so you might as well get used to fighting all the catholics anyway.

Another way to get a claim on rome is to be catholic then set up an anti pope. You get a cb to install him as the pope then and he remains your vassal if you win.

Usually my vassal pope fills the role of court jester.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 8, 2018

• Locked thread