Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Retro42 posted:

You seem to think the new guy is just as much a racist as Sessions. Unless the new AG is named Steve King thats not really possible.

LMAO, I guarantee he's just as racist. He works for FACT.

If you don't know who they are, boy oh boy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jefferson KKK Sessions is both extremely evil and extremely competent, probably the worst combination of both of those things in the Trump administration. It's possible they may maintain the status quo by replacing him with someone equally bad. It's more likely, however, that the replacement will come up short in one of those categories. More likely competence. Meanwhile, Jeffy gets the double indignity of his Senate seat being blue for two years and himself getting fired.

These events are not good, because nothing the Trump admin does is good, but it hasn't yet made things worse.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
So here's a question for law people here.

Say Trump's plan is to doom Mueller's investigation by cutting its funding. What's stopping the incoming Democratic house from investing their authority into Mueller's existing investigation and funding it as part of the Congressional budget, outside of DoJ funding?

For that matter, could New York State appoint Mueller as their special counsel and fund him?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

ummel posted:

I must have got 8 "go for the throat" mailers pro-GOP for every wishy washy democrat one. And I'm in a deep blue county.
The Republican running for state senate in my district sent me these huge glossy mailers trashing his incumbent opponent for "voting for property tax increases." If you actually looked up the votes, it turned out that she voted yes for a compromise bill that passed unanimously in the Republican-dominated senate, and also voted no on a long-shot tax decrease bill that got almost no votes.

In other words she voted with the Republicans in both cases, and the exact same way her opponent would have voted if he'd had the seat. But he knew people wouldn't look it up..

She won, but by a very slim margin.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

sexpig by night posted:

eh, still fine
gently caress sessions but this is one of those things that is down the list on those "progression into fascism" charts which is to say it brings us closer to some even worse poo poo further down the list.

We are very lucky he didn't stuff his cabinet with competent, on-the-same-page loyalists from day one. Not that any of those ghouls are good people, but the infighting, graft and naked self interest are a far better result than some coordinated campaign coming from the SecState / SecDef / AG to push some big ticket agenda of Trump/Miller/Bannon/etc. America can weather the former a lot better. I am sure the trump camp is up to their ears with highly over the line illegal poo poo with Russia, including the man himself, but I'm keeping my expectations low on the impact of whatever Mueller has. But that chapter is closing and either something is delivered from it soon or the whole thing is going to be boarded up within the next few months.

Getting the house is critical because at the least we won't have all three branches of government chugging along, we can at least gum up the works legislatively provided we get a speaker worth a drat.

But firing sessions, the day after the loving election, is not a good thing at all.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sky Shadowing posted:

Say Trump's plan is to doom Mueller's investigation by cutting its funding. What's stopping the incoming Democratic house from investing their authority into Mueller's existing investigation and funding it as part of the Congressional budget, outside of DoJ funding?

For that matter, could New York State appoint Mueller as their special counsel and fund him?

I feel like we're starting to approach constitutional Calvinball here

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Sky Shadowing posted:

Kickstarter? Kickstarter, anyone?

Donate to Robert Mueller's Investigation Patreon?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

Jefferson KKK Sessions is both extremely evil and extremely competent, probably the worst combination of both of those things in the Trump administration. It's possible they may maintain the status quo by replacing him with someone equally bad. It's more likely, however, that the replacement will come up short in one of those categories. More likely competence. Meanwhile, Jeffy gets the double indignity of his Senate seat being blue for two years and himself getting fired.

These events are not good, because nothing the Trump admin does is good, but it hasn't yet made things worse.

the guy put in place is there to kill off the mueller inquiry and/or to insist on a full briefing that will be immediately shared with the white house, and then get replaced

the replacement will probably be better in some respect. it is still stupid as all hell to go "actually this is a good thing" because part of the point of killing the mueller probe isn't just to end that probe, it's to further erode the independence of law enforcement and turn it into a tool of the trump administration to punish opponents and shield allies

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

fishing with the fam posted:

Kickstarter? Kickstarter, anyone?

Donate to Robert Mueller's Investigation Patreon?

Patreon donors who give over $10 a month will get to see Mueller's filings and indictments a day early

Hit that Like button and don't forget to subscribe

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1060592491743899649

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sky Shadowing posted:

The House can't pass appropriations on its own.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

The House can't pass appropriations on its own.

Yeah the Senate can strip it out, Trump can veto it, and even if it finally gets through that's months it's been unable to function due to no budget.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
You guys already discuss how the Thousand Oaks shooter was a Marine with PTSD that lived with his mom? Those 12 dead people are combat deaths, basically, another side effect of our poo poo VA system plus our Forever Wars.

Dirty little secret about SoCal, which is full of Navy and Marine bases: these guys flip out on the reg and kill themselves, kill/beat up spouses and girlfriends, shoot each other on crowded streets or at gas stations and get in fights in public. A lot is asked of them and then they're just cast out, so poo poo happens.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

I like to imagine that "with due respect" bit was intended to be read as sarcastically as possible

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Tucker Carlson's house got punched:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.f07829f24f22

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Crow Jane posted:

I like to imagine that "with due respect" bit was intended to be read as sarcastically as possible

it's the same sort of phrase as "with all due respect" which means you're about to tell someone they're a complete loving idiot, but politely

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Boo hoo. For one second he felt as unsafe as the minorities he gleefully trashes feel every minute of every day. gently caress Bowtie Boy.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Boo hoo. For one second he felt as unsafe as the minorities he gleefully trashes feel every minute of every day. gently caress Bowtie Boy.

Yeah, we start supporting poo poo like this and how long until we get the real fascist boot on our throats in response? Punch them in the street but I'm still drawing a line at threatening wives and kids in their home.

We can't decry kids in cages and then support this.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

evilweasel posted:

yeah it is literally impossible for people to follow two things at once. especially a group of people, that group can literally only follow a single thing.

I don't know about you but my rage is spread out over so many things anything new I encounter gets a little bit of rage just to be on the safe side.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The defeated judge who got so mad that he became good has gone AWOL.

https://twitter.com/keribla/status/1060554577005735937

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah, we start supporting poo poo like this and how long until we get the real fascist boot on our throats in response? Punch them in the street but I'm still drawing a line at threatening wives and kids.

hoo boy, I got real bad news for you about what happened this summer

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Retro42 posted:

Sessions was doing an absurd amount of harm to minorities and immigrants. Him being out as AG is a GOOD THING. Yes, it's a mess when it comes to the Mueller probe, but there is a substantial number of people sleeping better tonight with him out of a job.

I hope to god drat gently caress that the DOJ's take on asylum applications are changed some loving time soon.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

hoo boy, I got real bad news for you about what happened this summer

Feel free to elaborate.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah, we start supporting poo poo like this and how long until we get the real fascist boot on our throats in response? Punch them in the street but I'm still drawing a line at threatening wives and kids in their home.

You're assuming a consideration that does not exist.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lycus posted:

But is Ohio looking at an EV reduction next decade?

Unlikely. The population is still growing, albeit slowly.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

VH4Ever posted:

No sympathy for the bedwarmers of Nazis. The fascist backlash has already been happening, but I guess it's possible that it could escalate.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Patreon donors who give over $10 a month will get to see Mueller's filings and indictments a day early

Hit that Like button and don't forget to subscribe

Would.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

In other news, Alex Jones posts security guard outside of half-collapsed refrigerator box located under I-35 overpass.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
How big of a loser are chuds who get swiped left on Righter going to feel when they can't even fall back on their conservative persecution complex?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Lizard Combatant posted:

How big of a loser are chuds who get swiped left on Righter going to feel when they can't even fall back on their conservative persecution complex?

They'd blame females, obviously

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

VH4Ever posted:

You still have no idea how any of this works, huh?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Honestly, people like Tucker go to work and stoke hatred and threaten others every drat day and it coming back on him is both well-deserved and inevitable. I don't like it but I don't think I feel bad for him.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Lizard Combatant posted:

I sort of doubt there will be any women swiping at all.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Crow Jane posted:

They'd blame females, obviously

Them again?! :argh:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

VH4Ever posted:

Feel free to elaborate.

remember that time we decided that taking people's kids from them and then killing them was justified by them being Racially Impure

there was a bit of a to-do about it

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mistaya posted:

Honestly, people like Tucker go to work and stoke hatred and threaten others every drat day and it coming back on him is both well-deserved and inevitable. I don't like it but I don't think I feel bad for him.

Any just society would have locked him up or reeducated him by now. This is so much less than what he deserves.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

TheScott2K posted:

Feel free to explain in more detail.

mistaya posted:

And his wife and kids deserve said same as well? Reasons, please?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

TheScott2K posted:

No justice, at least a modicum of peace please.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
98% of Trump appointees are mercifully incompetent and can't manage to really get their policies off the ground without hitting roadblocks. The other 2% are people like Miller, Sessions, Bannon. That's why this feels like a (very) small victory: Trump has gotten rid of someone who was actually really beneficial to his administration, because he's too much of a thin-skinned baby to realize that it's easier to do evil stuff when you don't call attention to it. It's now a roll of the dice to see if his replacement is just as good at being bad, and the odds don't seem to favor that. So it could be a net gain, and probably won't be much of a loss. And in the process it's more fuel for the Mueller fire.

I realize that sounds kind of accelerationist. I guess it would be, if I thought Sessions would be replaced by someone even worse. I don't. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

remember that time we decided that taking people's kids from them and then killing them was justified by them being Racially Impure

there was a bit of a to-do about it

1) That didn't happen as you describe and also 2) I already accounted for this in my original post. You quoted the Nazi backlash line, what I mean is something like post-Reichstag fire total withdrawl of basic civil rights and rights of assembly. You assholes are acting like we don't still have those rights. One stroke of a pen and they're gone.