Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the new tracker is helping me get candy for my mon and crack eggs a lot quicker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Currently holding 210 shinies

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Finally got in touch with the local players so hey, if you're on this list we're going to hit besties tomorrow at 7PM GMT, get your eggs on if you care for it.

Coxymla
lessthansanity
LividLiquid
Lobunny
Plateialumitar
ratatatatatatta
TheDingoman
Urposeppo

Now I'm going back to being annoyed at not getting a shiny ponyta :argh:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Jackhammer Rape posted:

I want a green zomboner drat it.

Soooo what are you doing on Saturday? :zombie:

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Themata posted:

On the topic of naming Pokemon, I wish there was an easier way - or any way at all even, to see what moves or move types a Pokemon has while you're in the gym prep/raid countdown screen that doesn't involve closing out of everything, going to the Pokemon listing, and clicking on each individual one. I can name Pokemon I won't ever use seriously for battle something fun like the Pikachu series, but anything I plan to use for battle, I need to either name them something so I remember what moves they have which isn't as fun, like AcidPump for Poison/Water, or have fun names and try to remember what they are or risk going in with ineffective attacks. Two little icons denoting the move types in the bottom right corner would be good enough and highly appreciated.

It isn’t a perfect solution, but may be helpful: in the party selection screen, you can search by move using the @ symbol: so @bite for example. That’s what I do when I can’t remember which of my tyranitars has two dark attacks or whatever. That said, I agree it’s definitely faster (if way less fun) to name them by attack type.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

Zombie Dachshund posted:

It isn’t a perfect solution, but may be helpful: in the party selection screen, you can search by move using the @ symbol: so @bite for example. That’s what I do when I can’t remember which of my tyranitars has two dark attacks or whatever. That said, I agree it’s definitely faster (if way less fun) to name them by attack type.

Thanks for the tip! :) I also tried using @dark to see if it'd show me Pokemon with dark moves and sure enough, it did. This will help a lot with team building.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Themata posted:

On the topic of naming Pokemon, I wish there was an easier way - or any way at all even, to see what moves or move types a Pokemon has while you're in the gym prep/raid countdown screen that doesn't involve closing out of everything, going to the Pokemon listing, and clicking on each individual one. I can name Pokemon I won't ever use seriously for battle something fun like the Pikachu series, but anything I plan to use for battle, I need to either name them something so I remember what moves they have which isn't as fun, like AcidPump for Poison/Water, or have fun names and try to remember what they are or risk going in with ineffective attacks. Two little icons denoting the move types in the bottom right corner would be good enough and highly appreciated.

In addition for searching moves with "@" you can also add unicode symbols to the ends of the names.

For example: Tentacruel☠☂

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Cartotic/Correlatoress I'm not sure if you follow the thread but we go BEST FRIENDS tomorrow, dunno how well we'll be able to sync eggs what with us being on opposite sides of the planet but if you can make a post if/when you're opening the gift I sent, I might be able to get an egg on quick enough when I turn the game on tomorrow. That's if you even read this in time or have an egg yourself or if you care at all lol

Also yay for my first Goon Best Friend!

Smesh if you're out there you'll be my second in about 6 days :D :D

Edit: I probably should mention my trainer name is batmattman

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 8, 2018

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Beachcomber posted:

You've failed as a parent.

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not.

I am. I guess that was a bit "well, actually"

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Pomplamoose posted:

In addition for searching moves with "@" you can also add unicode symbols to the ends of the names.

For example: Tentacruel☠☂

I see people do that, but I can't figure out how on my iPhone. Can you help?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I see people do that, but I can't figure out how on my iPhone. Can you help?

Yeah I think it's Android-only based on the way iOS input works on Pokemon Go (you can't paste the name). At least unless you can find a funny 3rd party keyboard that allows the characters you want to be typed in.

I've got a spare Android phone I use for work, and I've started using CalcyIV on there to name my Pokemon because it's easier than anything you can do on iOS :(

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Yeah I do the same. I just started using the CalcyIV raid calculator it's pretty neat for seeing which ones might just barely edge others out in damage, and how many levels I need for break points if I'm trying to short man stuff

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Froist posted:

Yeah I think it's Android-only based on the way iOS input works on Pokemon Go (you can't paste the name). At least unless you can find a funny 3rd party keyboard that allows the characters you want to be typed in.

I've got a spare Android phone I use for work, and I've started using CalcyIV on there to name my Pokemon because it's easier than anything you can do on iOS :(

I use UniChar on iOS - you can set it as a keyboard under the phone settings and then switch to it like you do to the emoji keyboard and put a whole bunch of different Unicode characters in

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Does Adventure Sync only update occasionally, or is something wrong with it checking Google Fit? The first day I turned it on it gave me Pokeballs for 6km of walking the week before, but now Google Fit has a few miles on it this week and Pokemon still says 0 steps. This was with me trying with the PoGo app opened and the app closed while out walking today

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
if pgo is open its own gps supersedes any input from google fit. Power saver mode on your phone will also mess with tracking if it disables your phone's fitness sensors.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I walked my Eevee for over 10km, and when I evolved it during the day, I ended up with a Jolteon...

Do I have to keep it as my Walkin' Buddy when I evolve one in order to get Espeon?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I walked my Eevee for over 10km, and when I evolved it during the day, I ended up with a Jolteon...

Do I have to keep it as my Walkin' Buddy when I evolve one in order to get Espeon?

Yes.

This mechanic is an absolute clusterfuck because Milotic has a bar for walking and won't let you evolve it while it's your buddy. Meanwhile, you have to keep eevee as your buddy and there's no indicator it's ready.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Zombie Guy posted:

Also, make absolutely sure you have GPS when you do the evolving or the same thing will happen.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Beachcomber posted:

Also, make absolutely sure you have GPS when you do the evolving or the same thing will happen.

Yeah my habit of evolving while riding in the underground metro kicked me in the rear end on that detail. It makes no sense as to why that's the case either, the 10km was already earned!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I assume the GPS is to confirm day vs night?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Also make sure to wait until you get the notification for getting the second candy, not just the 10km walking. I know they should come at the same time, but sometimes they don't and you need both.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

tangy yet delightful posted:

I assume the GPS is to confirm day vs night?

This is what we concluded, although you'd think the game would know where it last was only a few minutes ago.

Niantic'd

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Zombie Guy posted:

Just change its name to Sakura to guarantee an Espeon

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Beachcomber posted:

This is what we concluded, although you'd think the game would know where it last was only a few minutes ago.

Niantic'd

It's even better than that. Whenever the gps signal not found banner comes up, the game defaults the GPS position to 0,0 and the timezone to GMT.

This is how people managed to super desync friendship in the beginning, because taking a friend action without a gps signal would sometimes send them literally forward in time to the next day, and broke the progression.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Just change its name to Sakura to guarantee an Espeon

The name changes for Eeveelutions only work for the first one of each type.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Finally got the candy to full evolve a Ralts and I have a nice Lucky Ralts waiting - so do I take the Gardevoir or will Gallade be better when it releases?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

AzureSkye posted:

if pgo is open its own gps supersedes any input from google fit. Power saver mode on your phone will also mess with tracking if it disables your phone's fitness sensors.

I walked today with PoGo closed, and am not in any kind of power saving mode in the app or on my phone in general. It's just broken :(

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

OgreNoah posted:

The name changes for Eeveelutions only work for the first one of each type.

Also it doesn't count for the research task.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pez posted:

I walked today with PoGo closed, and am not in any kind of power saving mode in the app or on my phone in general. It's just broken :(

I think it might just be on a delay? At least I feel like I had steps show up later.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

Finally got the candy to full evolve a Ralts and I have a nice Lucky Ralts waiting - so do I take the Gardevoir or will Gallade be better when it releases?

Gallade won't be amazing, but if it's male I'd probably save it anyway and evolve a female into Gardevoir.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I ran 4 miles today with just my Apple Watch, no phone, and got credit for a whopping 1.6km. The distance/steps got logged in Apple Health too.

Sometimes it seems like it's dead-nuts on, and other times, it's way the gently caress off.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I walked from my car to my office and got 1.2 km. Good. Good.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I ran 4 miles today with just my Apple Watch, no phone, and got credit for a whopping 1.6km. The distance/steps got logged in Apple Health too.

Sometimes it seems like it's dead-nuts on, and other times, it's way the gently caress off.

convert to metric so this can’t happen again

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Untrustable posted:

I walked from my car to my office and got 1.2 km. Good. Good.

Work hard and they might give you a better space.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's weird that the new system incentives not playing

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

mastershakeman posted:

It's weird that the new system incentives not playing

Most people don't have the game on constantly :eng101:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

When you go to Apple Health / Sources / Pokémon Go, does pogo have permission to read your health data? Also, do you use an app to capture your runs? I use Strava, bring my iPhone on trail and it captures nearly all my distance.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

tangy yet delightful posted:

Also it doesn't count for the research task.

I evolved the Espion during the night with the name trick and it counted

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Is anyone getting calories? I get tons of steps but my calorie counter is at 0.

I don’t really care since I’m not counting calories it’s just weird to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

When you go to Apple Health / Sources / Pokémon Go, does pogo have permission to read your health data? Also, do you use an app to capture your runs? I use Strava, bring my iPhone on trail and it captures nearly all my distance.

Yup. I use iSmoothRun on my LTE AW (no phone) when I run or hike, and like I said, I've had previous runs give me 1:1 credit for POGO, but today it was way off for some reason. I verified that the distance/step data synched to Apple Health on my phone when I got done with the run too. :shrug: