Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Nope. I’d planned on handling over the processed keepers. Quality-wise, I’m not even sire how things’ll turn out. I’ve never done an event like this before. Mostly it’s birds, family, and various snapshots.

Curious to hear what a more reasonable rate might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

Nope. I’d planned on handling over the processed keepers. Quality-wise, I’m not even sire how things’ll turn out. I’ve never done an event like this before. Mostly it’s birds, family, and various snapshots.

You might take an hour once you’re on site, you might take more, but you’re going to take some amount of time getting to and fro and processing Beeples.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
$50/hr, including processing time? Maybe next time...

e: especially if I don’t royally gently caress this up.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

MrBlandAverage posted:

Are you planning on delivering unculled, unedited images?

Just give them the sd card holmes, its cheap and you've got two.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

President Beep posted:

You definitely have to take processing time into account. If you plan on doing more paid work then start keeping track of how long it takes you to full and edit after a shoot, like when you are just doing it for fun. That way you can know ahead of time how much to expect based on a certain amount of time shooting.

In other groundbreaking news, people are loyalists and not to spoil things but Canon users voted their brands color science best but when images were intentionally labeled with the wrong brands Sony won and Canon was dead last. I enjoyed watching this and got some chuckles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMfCDujQywY

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

President Beep posted:

$50/hr, including processing time? Maybe next time...

e: especially if I don’t royally gently caress this up.
My dude after all this is said and done you'll be happy to see $10/h and that's on top of providing your own equipment.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

In some countries that’s a lot of money, okay!!!!!!?

:negative:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

President Beep posted:

In some countries that’s a lot of money, okay!!!!!!?

:negative:

Just enjoy yourself. They're not paying enough to stress it. Enjoy the shooting, do the post processing enough to not embarrass yourself, or as long as you are enjoying it.

The real question for me, when offered similar "opportunities" is, am I taking a job from a photographer, and are they taking advantage of me, or just ignorant about costs?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Sounds like a lot of hassle, you should just ask to get payed in company scrip like me. :smithicide:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

torgeaux posted:

The real question for me, when offered similar "opportunities" is, am I taking a job from a photographer, and are they taking advantage of me, or just ignorant about costs?

I definitely pondered that too. The answer is no. The coworker who asked me to show up said that otherwise she'd be running around, most likely with her cellphone, trying to take snapshots while also running the event.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

torgeaux posted:

Just enjoy yourself. They're not paying enough to stress it. Enjoy the shooting, do the post processing enough to not embarrass yourself, or as long as you are enjoying it.

This.

It's your first gig, you're not laying your career on the line here, and you have total freedom to do whatever you like. Worst-case scenario, they say "thanks for the pics" and never mention it again.

$50 is fine if you're fine. Take notes, keep track of how much time you spend on various parts of this, write down anything interesting that happens or that occurs to you while you're doing this. You will CERTAINLY learn something, and those notes will be super useful in 6 months when somebody asks you to do something like this again.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that the future is here - sorry if you’ve wasted your money on a dslr. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mymiggo/pictar-pro-dslr-your-smartphone/description

In case you don’t want to click it, here are some screenshots as well as the Facebook ad that let me know about how “the dslr is dead”.

Edit: let me sum up the whole thing - “:smug:

rio fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 6, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which phone has a full frame sensor?

Or heck, aps-c.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Wow. Dang. The SOE from Camera, Inc is pretty much dead in the water at this point. What a relic. poo poo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rio posted:

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that the future is here - sorry if you’ve wasted your money on a dslr. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mymiggo/pictar-pro-dslr-your-smartphone/description

In case you don’t want to click it, here are some screenshots as well as the Facebook ad that let me know about how “the dslr is dead”.

Edit: let me sum up the whole thing - “:smug:

Lmaoooooo

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
it has a cold shoe which will pair nicely with the expected target market's clown shoes

rio
Mar 20, 2008

President Beep posted:

Wow. Dang. The SOE from Camera, Inc is pretty much dead in the water at this point. What a relic. poo poo.

Yes, the Camera SOE 400D has had its day in the sun for a long time. Too long, now that you can wrap your cell phone in external parts to make it professional.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I heard that medium and large format for the ipad/ipad mini is coming out next year. :ssh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

someone post that cell phone that had like 15 lenses on the back of it

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DJExile posted:

someone post that cell phone that had like 15 16 lenses on the back of it

That's tickling my trypophobia though.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

spookygonk posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Isn't there something about this in the book of revelations?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

President Beep posted:

Isn't there something about this in the book of revelations?

Smartphones?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spookygonk posted:

hahaha yessssssss i love this stupid thing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

The Wall Street Journal posted:

" I know a lot of photographers who would benefit from the L16. "

gently caress it. I'm sold!

e: $1,950 US dollary-doos

rio
Mar 20, 2008

President Beep posted:

gently caress it. I'm sold!

e: $1,950 US dollary-doos

I remember reading a dpreview article about it, praising its strengths but also destroying it due to its many flaws. It said they were about 1/3 of the way towards making it a functional camera. Curious, I went back to the article to look for new comments and one from September basically said it has exactly the same problems as last year, despite the promise of “computational photography is going to consistently improve with updates”. I’m sure some day this will be the norm unless some other tech evolves - phones are already comfortably doing it with just two lenses. I won’t lie, it looks really interesting but it’s no where near usable yet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

man i need to change my approach to weddings

https://twitter.com/WTOL11Toledo/status/1067787884101623808

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I'll say! When's your next court date?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure what the barely on topic thread is any more but I just discovered that thing

lookit that cute body horror camera

rio
Mar 20, 2008

unpacked robinhood posted:

Not sure what the barely on topic thread is any more but I just discovered that thing

lookit that cute body horror camera

Jesus Christ I can make some horrific poo poo with this. I love it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Finally LR lets you configure the order of the panels in the develop module.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/whats-new.html

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I've seen a lot of places that don;t let you use tripods and no video cameras is reasonably common at a lot of tourist destinations. First time I ever saw signs like these though.

IMG_3219.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_3221.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Trying to cut back on professionally done stuff that might be produced for sale? Dunno why that would be the case though. Weird.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
They probably charge a fee for permission to shoot certain types of commercial work.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

Trying to cut back on professionally done stuff that might be produced for sale? Dunno why that would be the case though. Weird.

But you can walk around with your 1Dx or D850 as much as you like. Technically you could probably use your Hasselblad H system too as it doesn't use film and isn't a video camera. I would guess that the security dudes wouldn't be interested in a detailed technical argument however.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sounds like a great opportunity to engage in a lively debate about film quality versus digital to me!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I’ve heard the argument that interchangeable lens cameras are often prohibited not only for the reasons stated so far but also because venue (insurance) doesn’t want to handle claims for busted expensive photography poo poo if/when security manhandles you. Obviously modern cameras can be fixed lens and expensive but it’s a holdover from a different time.

I’m not sure it’s a legit protocol but it makes a certain amount of sense in a practical sense. Things usually are the way they are because someone thought it would be cheaper to do it that way

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Uptime Sinclair posted:

it’s a holdover from a different time.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head right there.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I just find it funny that you can wander around with your 5Div and a bag full of L glass, but if you have a Diana, they are going to make you put it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Now I know where all of those cheap ebay holgas come from.