Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Qubee posted:

I really want to get a microwave, but my kitchen just doesn't have the counter space. I'm currently using my tumbledryer as an additional countertop, and my pressure cooker sits on top of that.

Qubee posted:

I'm thinking of getting a waffle iron, does anyone have recommendations?

My recommendation is that you don’t buy anything new until you have a bigger house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

you're right. man moving into this place even though I knew the kitchen was small as balls was a big mistake. I can make do with a small bedroom and a small living room, but a kitchen is the lifeblood of any home :(

having to play "reorganize everything in the kitchen" depending on whether I'm cooking, baking, or whatever else is frustrating.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

bartlebee posted:

I roasted up about a cup of two of sweet peppers. What should I use them in?

I made some cauliflower, pepper, and carrot soup recently and it turned out really good.

I used:

- 3 peppers (they're maybe 1/2 or 3/4 the size of a poblano, like the medium sweet peppers that are in-between the tiny ones and bell peppers)
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large clove garlic (thumb-sized or bigger)
- 2 tiny onions (could do more depending on what you like)
- 1/2 can of coconut milk
- Enough veggie stock (or in my case, water and a half dosage of bouillon paste) to get the consistency right.
- Spices (a decent dose of turmeric for color, plus a little bit of whatever else you want)
- Lots of coriander (tbsp or 2 of whole seeds? I never measure out my spice additions)

I roasted the califlower, carrot, peppers, and onions in the oven tossed with spices and oil until everything was starting to brown a bit. Shortly before pulling the vegetables I toasted the coriander and ground it finely. Then I think I fried up the garlic in a decent amount of oil, added the coriander to fry a little, added the vegetables, coconut milk, stock/water and blended. Then I simmered for a while and blended once or twice more after ~15-30 minutes of simmering.

I liked the coconut milk. It adds a good richness, a subtle coconut flavor, and good color.

I'd also bet grilled cheese with roasted peppers is good too.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you have a lot of cloves to peel, try the two bowls trick. Put your head of garlic in one big bowl (I use large stainless mixing bowls) and invert another one on top. Then while you hold it closed, shake the poo poo out of it. Sometime it takes a couple minutes, and can be quite noisy depending on the bowls, but it gets the skins off really well.

I'd suggest using metal bowls if anyone decides to try this. I was once going to show off this trick to the wife. Grabbed two plastic bowls, throw the garlic in. Said "Watch this!" *furiously shaking* Boom! the head of garlic blows through the bottom of the bottom bowl hitting the floor sending skins and cloves all over the tile floor. Then she stood there for a sec trying to figure out what happened and then doubled over in laughter as I was frozen in disbelief holding the bowls.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

"Check out this move!" *I slip and fall on my rear end, it's not clear what I was trying to do*

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Eeyo posted:

I made some cauliflower, pepper, and carrot soup recently and it turned out really good.

I used:

- 3 peppers (they're maybe 1/2 or 3/4 the size of a poblano, like the medium sweet peppers that are in-between the tiny ones and bell peppers)
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large clove garlic (thumb-sized or bigger)
- 2 tiny onions (could do more depending on what you like)
- 1/2 can of coconut milk
- Enough veggie stock (or in my case, water and a half dosage of bouillon paste) to get the consistency right.
- Spices (a decent dose of turmeric for color, plus a little bit of whatever else you want)
- Lots of coriander (tbsp or 2 of whole seeds? I never measure out my spice additions)

I roasted the califlower, carrot, peppers, and onions in the oven tossed with spices and oil until everything was starting to brown a bit. Shortly before pulling the vegetables I toasted the coriander and ground it finely. Then I think I fried up the garlic in a decent amount of oil, added the coriander to fry a little, added the vegetables, coconut milk, stock/water and blended. Then I simmered for a while and blended once or twice more after ~15-30 minutes of simmering.

I liked the coconut milk. It adds a good richness, a subtle coconut flavor, and good color.

I'd also bet grilled cheese with roasted peppers is good too.

I will add both of these to my list. Vegetable soup sounds great and I was also actually thinking grilled cheese sandwiches pepper spread. Thank you!

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

bartlebee posted:

I will add both of these to my list. Vegetable soup sounds great and I was also actually thinking grilled cheese sandwiches pepper spread. Thank you!

Highly recommend a smoked Gouda for that grilled cheese. Made one with ajvar once that was absolutely fantastic.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sterster posted:

I'd suggest using metal bowls if anyone decides to try this. I was once going to show off this trick to the wife. Grabbed two plastic bowls, throw the garlic in. Said "Watch this!" *furiously shaking* Boom! the head of garlic blows through the bottom of the bottom bowl hitting the floor sending skins and cloves all over the tile floor. Then she stood there for a sec trying to figure out what happened and then doubled over in laughter as I was frozen in disbelief holding the bowls.

You gotta roll with it at that point and start stomping on the garlic.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have somehow been roped into doing a load of food for the local Beavers (like Scouts, but 6-8yo) on Friday to help them with their international badge.

Because of the countries they’ve been studying, I’ve done samosas, arancini, mini-pavlova and butter tarts. I’m pretty comfortable with all of them: I’ve done the samosas and arancini already, and they’re in the scout hut ready to warm up on the day. The butter tarts are in the oven now and the meringue is done for the pavlova.

However, I am trying to work out how far in advance I can assemble the pavlovas? I’ve got thirty meringues about an inch in diameter, and I want to pipe a bit of whipped cream into each one and top with a raspberry, but I won’t be able to do that on the evening itself. If I did the piping at 1530, will the meringues last three hours with cream inside them, or will they go soggy? Or is my best bet to just spoon on a dollop of whipped cream as fast as I can when it’s pavlova time?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I want to make cardamom tea, but I'm tired of the sticky mess that's left behind in the pan from boiling the milk. Are milk pans best for boiling milk? I always get caramelization and really hard gunk on the bottom after boiling, and even soaking the pan to clean it afterwards is still difficult. I've used nonstick pans and the same happens, so any tips on boiling milk?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

I have somehow been roped into doing a load of food for the local Beavers (like Scouts, but 6-8yo) on Friday to help them with their international badge.

Because of the countries they’ve been studying, I’ve done samosas, arancini, mini-pavlova and butter tarts. I’m pretty comfortable with all of them: I’ve done the samosas and arancini already, and they’re in the scout hut ready to warm up on the day. The butter tarts are in the oven now and the meringue is done for the pavlova.

However, I am trying to work out how far in advance I can assemble the pavlovas? I’ve got thirty meringues about an inch in diameter, and I want to pipe a bit of whipped cream into each one and top with a raspberry, but I won’t be able to do that on the evening itself. If I did the piping at 1530, will the meringues last three hours with cream inside them, or will they go soggy? Or is my best bet to just spoon on a dollop of whipped cream as fast as I can when it’s pavlova time?

Set up a couple of piping bags and have the kids do the piping before they eat? Could be fun to let the kids finish the prep maybe.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That Works posted:

Set up a couple of piping bags and have the kids do the piping before they eat? Could be fun to let the kids finish the prep maybe.

This is a really nice idea, and certainly something I would do if it was just my kids, but it’s not really feasible

Edit: getting all thirty of them to stand still for long enough to try four different foods is going to be hard enough without adding whipped cream and fragile meringues to the mix

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 8, 2018

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Qubee posted:

I want to make cardamom tea, but I'm tired of the sticky mess that's left behind in the pan from boiling the milk. Are milk pans best for boiling milk? I always get caramelization and really hard gunk on the bottom after boiling, and even soaking the pan to clean it afterwards is still difficult. I've used nonstick pans and the same happens, so any tips on boiling milk?

I'm guessing you add sugar to it while it's in the pan? I think you got a couple things you could try. Sprinkle the sugar slowly into the liquid after it comes up to temp, so it dissolves fast enough that it doesn't settle and stick to the hot surface of the pan. If that doesn't work, then also drain and wipe out the pan with a dry cloth like a tea towel while it's still very hot.

I'm making some assumptions here. I used to make chai in a nonstick pan and didn't have stickiness problems.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

Never. Stop. Whisking.

You don't have to be fast with it, but you can never stop. Use a rubber coated whisk if you're using a nonstick pan, otherwise a wire whisk will do. I've found that for pan / sauce work a spiral whisk works better than a balloon or french whisk.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

This is a really nice idea, and certainly something I would do if it was just my kids, but it’s not really feasible

Edit: getting all thirty of them to stand still for long enough to try four different foods is going to be hard enough without adding whipped cream and fragile meringues to the mix

Oohh yeah 30 kids? I can see where that doesn't work well.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Scientastic posted:

I'd just spoon on whipped cream as fast as you can when it's time.

Longshot: If you have an excess of fridge space on location, you can prescoop onto plates/top with raspberry and hold in the fridge. Just make sure to use a decent bit of powdered sugar instead of white in order to stabilize the cream to prevent weeping.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Could you coat the top surface of the meringues with a thin layer of white chocolate to act as a waterproof seal under the cream?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think I’ve found a window of opportunity for putting the cream on: we’ve rearranged the schedule for the evening, so they’re going to be playing a game first, so I can add the cream then. They should be fine for half an hour, right?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Please don't forget you aren't serving these to the guy you're staging for at a Michelin-starred restaurant. You're serving them to 7-year-olds who are gonna lick off the whipped cream, do tricks using the crushed raspberry as blood, and experiment with powdering the meringue. It's nice to want to give them nice things, but the whipped cream being dolloped vs. piped, 30 minutes before vs. 30 seconds before, is not gonna matter.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I meant to say as well that those are some lucky lucky kids - samosas? arancini? butter tarts? dinky pavlovas? When I was a brownie the fanciest thing we ever got was probably jelly and icecream and we were thrilled to get it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Canadians have nothing else to do now that the sun doesn't exist for another 5 months.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Canadians have nothing else to do now that the sun doesn't exist for another 5 months.

This may be true, but my Beavers are in South London.

We are doing their International Badge, hence the different exciting foods. Verdict was samosas good, arancini unpopular, pavlova very good and improvised maple syrup cookies because my butter tarts completely hosed up were the most popular of all

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just took a cooking class in Oaxaca :yeah:

My stomach can't handle more, but my brain won't let me stop eating

E: Oaxacan't beat mole with queen ants

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 9, 2018

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I had a friend ask me this question and I figured you folks would know the answer:

Air fryers. What are they? What are they good for? Are they any good / worth it? Recipes / Recommendations?

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

I'd like to start cooking with yogurt more, is there a better way to deal with sourness besides adding salt and/or sugar?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

LSD at the gangbang posted:

I'd like to start cooking with yogurt more, is there a better way to deal with sourness besides adding salt and/or sugar?
Eat more of it until you get used to the taste.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Funktor posted:

I had a friend ask me this question and I figured you folks would know the answer:

Air fryers. What are they? What are they good for? Are they any good / worth it? Recipes / Recommendations?

"Air fryers" are just countertop convection ovens. They're a massive investments of space. I think that they are totally not worth it, but some people love them.

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGPXMXY1J8E

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife got laid off this week, and I'm coming to you all for advice on how to cook in bulk to save money, while also maintaining a good level of variety. She's never been the type to cook one big pot of something and eat it all week, and while she acknowledges that she's going to have to learn that skill now I still want to be able to make her a few different things throughout the week to keep her spirits up while she job-hunts. My first thought was to get a bunch of meat at a bulk discount, slow cook and shred it on the weekend, and then mix that into whatever I cook during the week. Another idea would just be spend all day Sunday cooking two or three big pots of something, portioning them out into the freezer, and then telling her to just grab what she wants during the week. Any other ideas I could try?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you want an air fryer, just get one of the breville smart convection ovens so you can still bake normal stuff in it instead of the stupid air fryer shape that isn't versatile at all.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

LSD at the gangbang posted:

maybe i'm too used to yoghurt but the only time it starts getting sour is if i eat an entire tub of the stuff. cooking with yoghurt doesn't add a sourness to the dish, what yoghurt are you buying? some are more sour than others. yeovalley does a really mellow, smooth yoghurt, and fage greek yoghurt is smooth too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

C-Euro posted:

My wife got laid off this week, and I'm coming to you all for advice on how to cook in bulk to save money, while also maintaining a good level of variety. She's never been the type to cook one big pot of something and eat it all week, and while she acknowledges that she's going to have to learn that skill now I still want to be able to make her a few different things throughout the week to keep her spirits up while she job-hunts. My first thought was to get a bunch of meat at a bulk discount, slow cook and shred it on the weekend, and then mix that into whatever I cook during the week. Another idea would just be spend all day Sunday cooking two or three big pots of something, portioning them out into the freezer, and then telling her to just grab what she wants during the week. Any other ideas I could try?

Check the poor person thread

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I have been doing the all day Sunday thing for my wife and I for years. It's good.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Check the poor person thread

Yup. Tons of great info here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442278

Qubee
May 31, 2013

when i'm a broke uni student, I resort to eating legumes, a lot of pasta, white rice by the armload, and cheap cuts of meat. my go-to "I'm broke as gently caress but too proud to mention it to my parents" meal is lentils and white rice. literally it's an onion, some garlic, turmeric, cumin, and red lentils, and it's so so filling. both lentils and white rice are cheap as heck, I can get a 10kg bag of white rice that lasts me 6-9 months for $30 (£22), and this is tilda basmati, not generic off-brand white rice which is even cheaper. then you've got a whole host of delicious meals that revolve around legumes. I tend to make salads and then throw chickpeas or kidney beans in, or a basic sauce with legumes chucked in that i eat with rice. I also love bolognese, because you can buy really cheap beef mince and it makes a bucketload of bolognese (beef mince, onion, garlic, oregano, mixed herbs, tin of chopped tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, tomato puree) and it is cheap.

to knock the price down even more, you can buy your legumes dry and in the big buckets that you scoop out what you want yourself, rather than the prepackaged stuff. dry legumes that you need to soak are cheaper than the tinned ones.

but you've got it harder because your wife cares about variety. eating cheap is much easier when you throw variety and fine dining out the window, making a huge pot of whatever and just eating that for the next 5 days is simpler imo, but props to you for trying to spice it up.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 10, 2018

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Staples like rice and beans are wayyyy cheaper at Asian/Mexican/Indian grocery stores too.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

Staples like rice and beans are wayyyy cheaper at Asian/Mexican/Indian grocery stores too.

spices too. you get shafted so hard when you buy spices from a supermarket. and maybe I'm just imagining it, but I swear the spices I get from my local indian shop just taste better, cause I guess they know what the good poo poo is. I can't even remember the brand names I get from the indian shop, but compared to schwartz spices, it blows it out of the water. their herbs (coriander) and veggies are usually better quality too. amount of times I've bought coriander or onions from tesco and they're battered, bruised, or I get home, open the coriander up and realise it's sitting in it's own putrid juices.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Oh drat I remember reading that thread years ago, I didn't realize it was still around. Thanks.

Qubee posted:

Legumes

Thanks, she knows she's going to have to learn to love leftovers at some point but I gotta ease her into it. Lentils have been on my list of "things I should learn to prepare well" for a while. Are you pre-cooking the lentils and then mixing all of that stuff in, or are you cooking them in a pot with all of those veggies/spices?

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Go through with the slow cooked thing and intersperse it with simple pastas—aglio e olio is pretty quick and just needs garlic, oil, & dry pasta, Marcella Hazan’s tomato sauce is overrated but easy to make in bulk, use the residual heat of the pasta to make an egg sauce, etc. All of these require no cheese which helps shave off some expense.

Check out The Minimalist column that used to run in the NYTimes. Doesn’t focus necessarily on cheap dishes but a lot of the recipes are quick and simple, which means you can whip them up for variety. This has the egg recipe I refer to above. I subscribe but use incognito mode and you can get past the article limit.

If you’ve time find a foolproof bread recipe and have it warm with soups. Pea soup is simple and cheap but becomes exponentially better with fresh bread.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Thanks, she knows she's going to have to learn to love leftovers at some point but I gotta ease her into it. Lentils have been on my list of "things I should learn to prepare well" for a while. Are you pre-cooking the lentils and then mixing all of that stuff in, or are you cooking them in a pot with all of those veggies/spices?

I forgot to mention chicken stock for the lentils. and I just follow a shorbat adas recipe, something my mum used to make all the time for us as kids. it's delicious, filling, and I think it's also meant to be really healthy? though the ones I've tried online don't taste as good as the one my mum makes. hers is thicker and heartier and just tastes all around better, but here are three I usually follow, I should just ask my mum for the recipe.

https://marocmama.com/lebanese-shorbat-adas-lentil-soup/
http://www.kitchenofpalestine.com/lentil-soup/

fresh bread is a great shout. sometimes i'll make a fresh loaf of bread and just eat it with butter and cubes of cheese on the side, for those real hard weeks where I'm roughing it like a farmer on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’m making a load of pompelmocello, and I now have gallons of grapefruit juice. Because it’s so acidic, I’d assume it would keep for a while, but does anyone know how long I can keep it in the fridge?

I like grapefruit juice, but I think this much will make me really sick to drink in less than a week