Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

i fundamentally do not care about swalwell. my point was more on the absurdity of declaring “delenda est” against the man because of two sentences of canned rhetoric on his website instead of anything substantive in his voting record

the thread’s standards are puritanical to the point of self-parody

I like how you're both ignorant AND an rear end in a top hat about this topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gripweed posted:

lol Kamala Harris is running the same scam Avenatti did.

https://twitter.com/vagrunt/status/1060586819111305216

What the hell lol

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

a few years back i lived in a city with a lamborghini dealership a few blocks down the street

i had access to a murcielago, but i sure as poo poo didn't have the money for it

Then you didn't have access to it. What do you think the word means?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I like how you're both ignorant AND an rear end in a top hat about this topic.

No, he's 100% right and it's hilarious.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

Do you think people who have insurance right now, but would have to spend a third to half of their yearly take-home pay to cover the full deductible have access?

Access means they don’t deny you. It doesn’t mean you always get in though. I can buy a Porsche if I have money, but I don’t. Democrats have been using “access” to describe that exact scenario around health care for years now man.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

It doesn't mean anything. That's the whole point, you colossal dunderhead.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

selec posted:

Do you think people who have insurance right now, but would have to spend a third to half of their yearly take-home pay to cover the full deductible have access?

Access means they don’t deny you. It doesn’t mean you always get in though. I can buy a Porsche if I have money, but I don’t. Democrats have been using “access” to describe that exact scenario around health care for years now man.

You can technically say they have "access," but it would be one hell of a stretch to call it "accessible," if that helps you out of the semantics argument you've mired yourself in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hellblazer187 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrA7si44ifk&t=121s

edit: added timestamp.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 8, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

QuoProQuid posted:

i fundamentally do not care about swalwll. my point was more on the absurdity of declaring “delenda est” against the man because of two sentences of canned rhetoric on his website instead of anything substantive in his voting record

There are a lot of whacky opinions in this thread but "delenda est" on "access to" weasel wording is absolutely appropriate.

A man in a desert has *access to* water. It's just a few hundred mile's walk away.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

You can technically say they have "access," but it would be one hell of a stretch to call it "accessible," if that helps you out of the semantics argument you've mired yourself in.

It ain’t my mess. This weaselly framing has been the Dem choice in language when they don’t want to commit to just saying free health care or M4A. They might throw in an “affordable” in there, which is also meaningless, because “afford” isn’t a thing bad faith participants have any incentive to be realistic about what it means.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Guy who uses the word access while defending the ACA, and then signs on for M4A... totally just a republican-lite.

Again I don't know or care about this particular guy, but taking that one word without all of the context surrounding it and his other votes/signatures is just hilarious.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

watch what i linked man.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

watch what i linked man.

Do you not see the difference between Ted Cruz using the word "access" and the same word being included in a campaign pitch about protecting the ACA and expanding medicare?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

Guy who uses the word access while defending the ACA, and then signs on for M4A... totally just a republican-lite.

Again I don't know or care about this particular guy, but taking that one word without all of the context surrounding it and his other votes/signatures is just hilarious.

You do know that absolute credulity and a complete lack of pattern recognition aren't things that you're supposed to be proud of, right?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hellblazer187 posted:

Do you not see the difference between Ted Cruz using the word "access" and the same word being included in a campaign pitch about protecting the ACA and expanding medicare?

a politician should probably be careful in what terminology he uses.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Cerebral Bore posted:

You do know that absolute credulity and a complete lack of pattern recognition aren't things that you're supposed to be proud of, right?

I recognize the pattern that all of your posts are bad. How's that?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's pretty loving LOL how easily you can tell people who have been involved in the fight for M4A and people who have not. Here's a hint: Those of us putting in the work for M4A and interviewing candidates, attending town halls, etc. - when we hear "access to healthcare" we know exactly what that means because it's a dog whistle for a cop out on M4A. A candidate will say that in a room full of people to dodge tough questions on M4A and everyone not in the know just nods their heads and goes "this person is good on healthcare!"

Do some loving research before you start making fun of people. Don't be a conservative. Don't be proud of being ignorant.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

I recognize the pattern that all of your posts are bad. How's that?

In other words you're just very committed to being a complete sucker. Got it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The GOP runs on "access" to healthcare so I guess they must be good and will give me healthcare right guys, they say "access" and everything!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

OK, fine, you're the expert, is HR 676 good?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

Typically it means that if you can pay for it, it's not against the law for you to buy it, and if you need that money for rent or food instead welp I guess you didn't want healthcare after all, system working as intended.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

Very good afaik, yes.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hellblazer187 posted:

It's a good bill. But cosponsoring it doesn't mean much because everyone attached knows they won't have to actually vote on it anytime soon, and you should be wary about candidates who talk about treating the national budget like a family household budget in one breath and declare support for universal single-payer healthcare in the next.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

For a good example of this in action, compare the California legislature under Schwarzenegger and under unified Dem government.

Ostentatiously passed single-payer eleventy hundred times when they could count on a nice safe Republican veto, can't be bothered to even hold a single hearing on it now that they have the power to pass whatever they want.

Lesson: co-sponsoring a popular bill with no hope of passing does not mean that person wants it to pass or will even let it pass when it's up to them, and you need to look at a politician's whole career, history, statements, and other positions rather than making up your mind based on a single symbolic vote for the cameras.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Bernie Sanders..... welcome to neoliberalism.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

my eyes almost rolled out of my head

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

He's signed on to a safe PR stunt, but his rhetoric clearly says what he wants is a means tested market based budget balanced solution. Healthcare should be a univeral right, not market based access to healthcare. If healthcare is a right, it follows that the national health infrastructure has to be expanded for everyone. If its health access as a right though, then as long as someone is willing to sell you a $200/month plan with a $10k deductible to a doctor fifty miles away youre technically covered. And politicians know this.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So, it's not enough to cosponsor M4A if you use the word access anywhere in your literature? Is that the idea?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

"Health care must be recognized as a right" covers it though. Access is important, because a right you can't exercise isnt much of a right, but you have to guarantee the right to health care first. 'Health care is a right' is good, 'access to health care is a right' is bad.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

So, it's not enough to cosponsor M4A if you use the word access anywhere in your literature? Is that the idea?

It seems like if you’re savvy enough to run for office it shouldn’t be hard to clearly and unequivocally state what you support and not accidentally use dogwhistles that are deployed in defense of poor people dying of treatable illnesses.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

i fundamentally do not care about swalwell. my point was more on the absurdity of declaring “delenda est” against the man because of two sentences of canned rhetoric on his website instead of anything substantive in his voting record

"Canned rhetoric" about "access to healthcare" is the problem. His position is meaningless dem-consultant drivel about "strengthening and improving" the ACA, which is usually a code phrase for "shore up private insurers with more federal subsidies" and "restore the individual mandate"--things that no voter has mentioned ever when discussing why healthcare is a pressing problem.

The healthcare problems most often cited by voters are: cost of premiums, surprise medical bills, cost of prescription drugs, and not being able to use one's insurance because of massive out-of-pocket costs. When elected Dems are serious about tackling these problems, they come out forcefully in favor of M4A, as they should, because only a universal, tax-based healthcare system that regulates drug & provider costs will address and solve these problems.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Not a Step posted:

"Health care must be recognized as a right" covers it though. Access is important, because a right you can't exercise isnt much of a right, but you have to guarantee the right to health care first. 'Health care is a right' is good, 'access to health care is a right' is bad.

Swalwell's website says "All Americans should have the right to quality health care."

I think it's fine to want to push politicians to take firm stands on not only policy positions, but on their bedrock beliefs that inform those positions, but the idea that anybody is deciding an obscure congressman nobody had heard of 5 minutes ago because he used the word "access" is bonkers. The campaign hasn't even started yet, the guy'll have 18 months to gently caress up if he's actually bad.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Dude knows what hes saying. He believes the government should run a balanced budget and that the national debt should be a priority. If it ever looked likely M4A would pass he would be jumping on the 'but how will we pay for it' train and compromise away the universal aspects in favor of market based access in a repeat of the ACA. Pattern recognition is a key skill.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

So, it's not enough to cosponsor M4A

Now you've got it!

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Pinterest Mom posted:

Swalwell's website says "All Americans should have the right to quality health care."
Yeah, let's check out this website:

quote:

affordable healthcare […] paying for treatment […] Eventually, we should have a Medicare For All universal healthcare system.
His website is almost directly stating "I only cosponsored Medicare for All because I knew it would fail".

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

why isnt kamala harris allowed to grift?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

twodot posted:

Yeah, let's check out this website:

His website is almost directly stating "I only cosponsored Medicare for All because I knew it would fail".

This is like saying you have a plan for the student debt crisis, then posting means tested tax credits for entrepreneurs on your website and hoping nobody actually reads it

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Calibanibal posted:

why isnt kamala harris allowed to grift?

ACAB

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cerebral Bore posted:

In other words you're just very committed to being a complete sucker. Got it.

love me i'm a liberal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Honestly you don't even have to get to the M4A issue: anyone so uninformed about how national budgets and the economy work that they think the federal budget works just like a family doing their budget around the dinner table is just straight up not qualified to be President of the USA, sorry.

It is weird that the "most qualified candidate ever", "show me the resume", "age is a blanket disqualifier" crowd is completely fine with mind-bogglingly disqualifying ignorance like "I can see a balanced budget from my house" in a presidential candidate.

It's almost like the endless harping on resumes and ephemeral auras of competence and vague technocratic bonafides is just an insincere smokescreen for an ideologically neoliberal agenda...