Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

axeil posted:

if CHUDs broke down Jim Acosta's door you would not be trying to trivialize it.

Things that are different are different, I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

evilweasel posted:

breaking down someone's door while people are home is a very explicit threat of violence, and that context is easily understood by anyone

this is a worse argument than "i am just carrying these large military-style rifles as part of a peaceful protest"

Considering how consistently being named on FOX has lead to harassment and even murder of the person named, I suggest that having your name in Tucker’s mouth is also a very explicit call for violence.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

axeil posted:

Exactly. Breaking down someone's door is absolutely serious, and can be traumitising.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pretty much anything a right wing pundit or politician says is probably lying so never repeat their claims without serious double-checking.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The did not break down his door.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

axeil posted:

hot take: protecting property and protecting people are cool+good things

Jim would destroy them because while they were getting upset about transgender bathrooms he was studying the blade

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
https://twitter.com/BBuchman_CNS/status/1060646927958765568

Read: brown people are are not welcome in our asylum system because they're not white Christians from the Middle East

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

no, that was a stupid loving argument. if his door wasn't actually broken down then the factual predicate is wrong, but arguing breaking someone's door down while they're at home - which is what you chose to characterize as "property damage" - is so loving stupid it defies description. it is a stupid, stupid argument and he is putting in different people to demonstrate that it is a stupid, stupid argument because you're only making it because of the personalities involved rather than because it makes any sense at all.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

protesters break down a left-leaning media figure's door = bad
protesters break down a right-leaning media figure's door = good

do you not see the hypocrisy in this?

tucker carlson sucks and shouldn't be on tv but he shouldn't get his door broken down.

evilweasel posted:

no, that was a stupid loving argument. if his door wasn't actually broken down then the factual predicate is wrong, but arguing breaking someone's door down while they're at home - which is what you chose to characterize as "property damage" - is so loving stupid it defies description. it is a stupid, stupid argument and he is putting in different people to demonstrate that it is a stupid, stupid argument because you're only making it because of the personalities involved rather than because it makes any sense at all.

encouraging/cheering the breaking down of people's doors while there at home is pretty drat close to endorsing violence against them which is real :ironicat:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'd bet this is enjoined nationally within the next two weeks and ultimately is brought down on some kind of APA issue (failure to do this through N&C and trying to push it through immediately as an interim final rule, if i had to take a guess)

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

axeil posted:

tucker carlson sucks and shouldn't be on tv but he shouldn't get his door broken down.

Good news. He didn't.

This is like an Always Sunny episode.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Why are we arguing about breaking down someone's door when it didn't loving happen?

gently caress it, sure, i agree that some hypothetical maybe bad, but let's focus on that fact that y'all are falling for the right wing spin on the narrative which transformed "someone knocked on the door hard and there's a crack in it" to "they beat the door down with a battering ram and laid claim to anything that was inside"

Next let's talk about how Acosta really did assault that intern

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I actually don't care if rich people get their doors broken down

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

Jim Acosta isn't a white nationalist, so breaking down his door would be bad.

Tucker Carlson is a white nationalist, so breaking down his door would be fine (in a moral sense, I am not arguing it should be legal).

Property damage isn't going to hurt his kids.

axeil posted:

I don't agree that it's hypocritical because I don't agree that white nationalist/fascism is equivalent to other political ideologies.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

If you don't stop now we will be discussing the merits of something that DID NOT HAPPEN for the next 10 pages. Have mercy.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

No one can withstand Jim Acosta’s titanium pincer attacks.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

twice burned ice posted:

https://twitter.com/BBuchman_CNS/status/1060646927958765568

Read: brown people are are not welcome in our asylum system because they're not white Christians from the Middle East

Where are people finding white Christians in the middle east.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Condiv posted:

https://twitter.com/StephenAtHome/status/1060577331759210497

wthf is wrong with you colbert?

i thought he was at least a little better than this

God, I loving hate this so much. On some level, I absolutely agree with the sentiment: it DOES feel like this is crossing some kind of line that should give reasonable people pause.

But rich media personalities rushing out with these lukewarm musings about civility are ignoring the context that they have completely abdicated their responsibility to fight this problem the "right" way for YEARS. Tucker Carlson and his ilk have grown into such a vile cesspool because they were given legitimacy by everyone clutching their pearls about this now, or at the absolute most, made the butt of some jokes that were very intentionally designed to not cut *too* deep.

So really, every single time I see prominent names wax poetic about how we should be better than this, I really have to ask myself... what the gently caress do they expect people to do when they feel like no one is willing to actually fight on their behalf?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

axeil posted:

encouraging/cheering the breaking down of people's doors while there at home is pretty drat close to endorsing violence against them which is real :ironicat:

hey fun fact nobody's door got broken down at all

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Jim would destroy them because while they were getting upset about transgender bathrooms he was studying the blade

Yeah, did you see what he did to that WH intern?

Fun fact: Jim Acosta is the basis for Nic Cage's character in "Con Air."

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Grape posted:

Maybe there’s a Bob Evans.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Please we've already discussed the merits of hypothetically bombing his house and murdering his children

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I mean did anyone actually read the news report about this or are we all just hot taking off other people's hot takes?

I put absolutely no faith in Tucker Carlson reporting that someone cracked Tucker Carlson's door because he's going to blow every single bit of this up as much as he can to get as much sympathy as he can so he can go on being a Nazi gently caress on TV without any personal consequences.

Apparently THIS is the mob we're all freaking out about. Like six people with signs. This is what he's gotten everyone into a frothing "save Tucker's children" rage over: https://twitter.com/bakerlarry84/status/1060621509201461248

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Grape posted:

There are fair-skinned, fair-haired people in Iran.

They probably aren't getting in though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

selec posted:

Considering how consistently being named on FOX has lead to harassment and even murder of the person named, I suggest that having your name in Tucker’s mouth is also a very explicit call for violence.

yes, i also think that the various right wing entities that wink wink nod nod encourage violence should be held to account for it. how, exactly, you cabin it to the right cases so it can't be misused is somewhat difficult, but it's a problem that needs solving and it also deserves forthright public recognition that's what they're doing instead of allowing them to evade responsibility by lying about what they're doing.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

I look forward to learning what the 2018 equivalent is for hanging chads.

How about hanging chuds?

this is a joke, don't hang people

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Yeah I'm not going to contribute to this argument further, my apologies. Carry on.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bakanogami posted:

What should I write on my sign for the protest today

A QR code that links to swap.avi

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Acosta sighed as he drew his katana.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Break down Tucker Carlson's door every single night

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Martian posted:

How about hanging chuds?

this is a joke, don't hang people

No, hang the chuds

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Majorian posted:

There are fair-skinned, fair-haired people in Iran.

They probably aren't getting in though.

Aryans in Iran? How can this be :monocle:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Spaced God posted:

Why are we arguing about breaking down someone's door when it didn't loving happen?

gently caress it, sure, i agree that some hypothetical maybe bad, but let's focus on that fact that y'all are falling for the right wing spin on the narrative which transformed "someone knocked on the door hard and there's a crack in it" to "they beat the door down with a battering ram and laid claim to anything that was inside"

Next let's talk about how Acosta really did assault that intern

Seriously people are falling for right wing bullshit here and I'm seeing maybe why WAPO is so consistently naive.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

colbert is dead to me

:colbert:

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
It's okay to break down his door, no one got hurt.

It's okay to throw a brick in his window, no one got hurt.

It's okay to kill him, his family is still alive.

It's okay to injure his family, the children are still okay.

It's okay to kill his wife, the children are better off.

It's okay to kill his children, they would grow up just like him.

^^^

All things left-wing revolutions have done.

Violence breeds violence.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
dear god stop talking about tucker carlson

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'd go to the anti-firing-mueller protest in my town today but the organizer said we're not allowed to talk to any passerbys or chant anything so gently caress that noise.

I, too, love my protests be viewed exactly the same as parent who don't love their children: Seen and not heard.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
e: nevermind, time to end the Tucker derail.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Spaced God posted:

I'd go to the anti-firing-mueller protest in my town today but the organizer said we're not allowed to talk to any passerbys or chant anything so gently caress that noise.

I, too, love my protests be viewed exactly the same as parent who don't love their children: Seen and not heard.

Who cares what they say

Go and yell your fuckin head off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
For real Tucker putting it out there that his "house was broken into" and that his "family was threatened" was done for the explicit purpose of starting the discussion of whether it would be appropriate or not, whether it happened or not, and it's devilishly effective.

CelestialScribe posted:

It's okay to break down his door, no one got hurt.

It's okay to throw a brick in his window, no one got hurt.

It's okay to kill him, his family is still alive.

It's okay to injure his family, the children are still okay.

It's okay to kill his wife, the children are better off.

It's okay to kill his children, they would grow up just like him.

^^^

All things left-wing revolutions have done.

Violence breeds violence.

wtf are you arguing, and with who