Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I was absolutely expecting it to be a display board, choreographed ballet is so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Benagain posted:

I was absolutely expecting it to be a display board, choreographed ballet is so much better.

“Heterosexuality is a Liar Sometimes” with just Mac’s face on it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Huh, I guess that episode confirmed that I'm straight. I watched that and was kinda impressed by Mac's moves and physique, but felt no attraction at all. The woman caught my eyes way more than him. Her movement was incredibly flexible and dynamic. The way she slid over that floor looked incredible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/1060525123139178501

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Benagain posted:

Yeah, I thought they were going to cut to him on the float in the parade, like video of it because we know they were there for a pride parade earlier this year so they could have the footage, just like the Super Bowl episode.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

:boom:

between that and the fat mac season the dude is amazingly committed

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sort of amazed that the most poignant, touching thing I've seen in 2018 was in an episode of Always Sunny.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GORDON posted:

I'm sort of amazed that the most poignant, touching thing I've seen in 2018 was in an episode of Always Sunny.

I know, like, was it all make-up or did they spray something in his eyes to make them all swollen or did he show up having an allergic reaction one day and they were just like "gently caress it, let's roll with it"

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

ynohtna posted:

gently caress Mac's dad, what an utter poo poo to proudly claim credit for the cheap laugh of his son's name and then to deliberately miss what his boy was trying to tell him.

You seem surprised that the character whose sole purpose is to be a terrible loveless father turned out in fact to be a terrible loveless father.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

I know, like, was it all make-up or did they spray something in his eyes to make them all swollen or did he show up having an allergic reaction one day and they were just like "gently caress it, let's roll with it"

i loved the first 10 minutes where he was looking closer and closer to The Penguin and then it went so much further

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Powershift posted:

I was going to make a joke about how they just skipped the make-up altogether, but Danny Devito seems like a cool enough guy who doesn't deserve to be mocked like that. I'm making this post because I actually feel bad for this train of thoughts.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

I was going to make a joke about how they just skipped the make-up altogether, but Danny Devito seems like a cool enough guy who doesn't deserve to be mocked like that. I'm making this post because I actually feel bad for this train of thoughts.

We forgive, you, friend, this is a place of love.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CapnAndy posted:

Better; Mac knew his dad would leave ahead of time and had it predicted so accurately it was worked into the choreography, then went ahead and did it anyway.

There's meaning to be found in how Mac's visualization of God was a burly man when he was in the closet but is a beautiful woman now that he's out, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Maybe it has something to do with spiritual growth? Before, Mac's view of God was very much rooted in his own repressed sexuality and narrow view of what strength looks like. Now, Mac has accepted his sexuality and that has expanded his view of both what he and God could and should be.

Does anyone know the name of the song Mac danced to?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Does anyone know the name of the song Mac danced to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf1h2PMPCAo

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The song was Sigur Rós’s “Varúð".

The Vulture article in the tweet a few posts above is a good read on how Rob prepared and learned the dance routine but is still a bad dancer.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

cant cook creole bream posted:

Devito is a national treasure and I won't hear a word against him, but my man is ugly.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

quote:

“The woman represents the light and the good and everything pure and amazing — and he’s the dark. So it’s basically a giant metaphor for being able to love and accept yourself.”

"Day Man ... aaAAhAAAaaaaaaaaaa
Fighter of the Night Man"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Devito is a national treasure and I won't hear a word against him, but my man is ugly.

Danny DeVito is an egg with limbs and I wouldn’t have it any other way

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Danny DeVito is an egg with limbs and I wouldn’t have it any other way

He should play Eggman in a Megaman movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Although there were never any injuries, everyone recalls a freak flip that happened during rehearsals once the rain had been added to a section of the dance they called “the death spiral.” Faulk practiced it first with McElhenney to make sure that Shea would be safe. He was supposed to swing her around, twirl her with one hand, and then let her go in the gushing water, but something unexpected happened when he moved his foot and lost the grip. As Faulk spun, McElhenney flipped forward, landing like a ninja to prevent her from falling. “It was insane!” said Shea, who watched it happen alongside Moctezuma.

“I don’t know what happened there, it was like holdover jujitsu training,” McElhenney recalled. “I lost my footing and I did some kind of bizarre flip and landed like Spider-Man. Unfortunately, the cameras weren’t rolling.”

:madmax:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 9, 2018

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
He does backflips every single day of his life

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Ubiquitous_ posted:

He should play Eggman in a Megaman movie.

This is a trap.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

honestly I thought a beefcake was gonna descend from the ceiling when the light turned on at the end of the routine

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rex is fat now :(

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I legit cried at that. It was the most loving poignant and beautiful thing I've seen on television in years and it was on Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Jesus.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

ChesterJT posted:

You seem surprised that the character whose sole purpose is to be a terrible loveless father turned out in fact to be a terrible loveless father.

Well, sometimes it's easier to shout at a fictional character than those in your own personal life who deserve it even more, y'know.

e: I'm also gonna quibble that loveless ain't an entirely correct description of Luthor. As shown with the grandfather miscommunication, he offers conditional love if only Mac would be someone completely different. I feel this is an important component of Mac's character & behaviour (his need to impress) and his coming out story.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 9, 2018

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Supercar Gautier posted:

The set we saw wasn't literal; it was how Mac imagined the scene while he danced. The difference was, unlike the high school reunion, we never cut away to the real stage. We don't know how bare and bone-dry the prison stage actually was, or if the dancing was actually less skillful in reality, and we don't need to see that. The implication is that everyone in the audience (save Luther) could see, in their mind's eye, the same thing that we and Mac could.
This is wrong and dumb and bad.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Maybe Rob gets fat again next year and it opens to the same scene with another high school reunion cut
No. No. Wrong. Dumb. Bad.

DrVenkman posted:

I'm glad they didn't just undercut the whole thing with a Dennis gag, even though I love Dennis. The whole episode was a result of people reaching out after Mac came out, so it's easy to see why they didn't want to gently caress with it.

My only small issue is that if I was editing it I wouldn't have cut to the crowd until the end, except to show Mac's father leaving.
This is 1000% so they didn't have to do it in one unbroken take, which would be borderline impossible for somebody who's never danced before.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
what the gently caress was up with the one bite peaches

there was something hysterical about his dad boasting about naming his son ronald mcdonald

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/NUCEbKo.gifv

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That was an incredible episode. Danny is so vile. Rob is a stud. Wonder how long that dance took to get down.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/oL6AeOt.gifv

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/mBzOsKB.gifv

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/zvlhh7v.gifv

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

This is art.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Very weird to see the gentrification across the street from Paddys.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That dance was loving absurd it's so loving good

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

moist turtleneck posted:

what the gently caress was up with the one bite peaches

there was something hysterical about his dad boasting about naming his son ronald mcdonald

Yeah, I've yet to find an explanation for the partially eaten peaches (or were they apples?) all around the apartment.

Maybe they're just there to make people wonder "what's the deal with all that half eaten fruit"?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Doltos posted:

That dance was loving absurd it's so loving good

He put a lot of time and effort into that, it's pretty staggering.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
Yeah... I spent 25 years fully in the closet and I still haven't told my dad so this episode felt like I was being targeted. Holy poo poo was it beautiful though, I was bawling. Did not expect that episode is that scene at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Burginator posted:

Yeah... I spent 25 years fully in the closet and I still haven't told my dad so this episode felt like I was being targeted. Holy poo poo was it beautiful though, I was bawling. Did not expect that episode is that scene at all

Start working out.