Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Lifetime at the offer rate is what, 2.5 years of sub fees? Plex is great and worth throwing some bucks at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I've been using PMS for, what, 2 years now? I paid full price for the Pass and I have no regerts.

Fuzz posted:

Plex even let's you stream VR experience videos to PS4. That's awesome.

Totally worth it.

Plex VR is available on Google Daydream too.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

How big of a difference is there between Roku Ultra and Roku Streaming Stick, both mentioned in the OP, as Plex Clients?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

As far as the end-user experience goes, they'll function more or less identically, with the differences basically just being the hardware, i.e., presence of Ethernet, video output support, and the Ultra will likely perform a little snappier. Either is fine as a Plex client, you just have to determine if you want that UHD/HDR support or want the cheaper streaming stick.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm planning on revamping the client device recommendation section, but yeah what Atomizer said is spot on.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

If anything, Roku is still (AFAIK) probably the best end-user experience for Plex and every other home media streaming service. Roku devices just kinda work, whereas "smart" TVs can have crappy software implementations, HTPCs have added complexity and maintenance requirements, and other dedicated streaming hardware (e.g. ATV) in the middle just isn't as good as Roku, or at least this was the case the last time I checked.

Chromecast is also a good option, but it's a far different implementation compared to a dedicated STB.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I would disagree. ATV 4K has been a dream for Plex.

Much better than the Roku my parents use

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don’t forget the Express which, last I checked, is barely more expensive than a stick. I have last years model blu-tacked to the back of my bedroom tv and it’s been pretty solid for Plex. Don’t like the interface much, but it’s the same they use for most platforms now. Someone said a more Apple TV like one is happening though, fingers crossed.

E: yeah ATV interface is way better (didn’t see handful of posts above), but more expensive than the Roku budget models. That’s the trade off I guess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Atomizer posted:

If anything, Roku is still (AFAIK) probably the best end-user experience for Plex and every other home media streaming service. Roku devices just kinda work, whereas "smart" TVs can have crappy software implementations, HTPCs have added complexity and maintenance requirements, and other dedicated streaming hardware (e.g. ATV) in the middle just isn't as good as Roku, or at least this was the case the last time I checked.

Chromecast is also a good option, but it's a far different implementation compared to a dedicated STB.

Roku boxes have an ugly but super easy to navigate UI with their simple remotes; perfect for the non tech savvy. Apple TV UI looks leagues better by comparison, but navigation with the stock remote can definitely be a hurdle. Chromecast is the same for older folks.

I've personally had really good experiences with the latest Roku TVs and FireTV devices as Plex clients, and will be adding some of those to the recommended section.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That’s very true re: ATV remote.

I’ve paired my parents TV (and mine) with Harmony Hub so at least there’s arrow buttons, even if the fast forward / pause / rewind buttons don’t really work as intended.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

teagone posted:

Roku boxes have an ugly but super easy to navigate UI with their simple remotes; perfect for the non tech savvy. Apple TV UI looks leagues better by comparison, but navigation with the stock remote can definitely be a hurdle. Chromecast is the same for older folks.

I've personally had really good experiences with the latest Roku TVs and FireTV devices as Plex clients, and will be adding some of those to the recommended section.

I'll take the tradeoff then, of Roku being cheaper than ATV, and the former being easier to navigate even if it doesn't look as good. Remember, the UI only exists to help you find your content, so once you've found your movie or whatever and clicked "play" that's all that's important.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about Amazon's devices, I'm sure they're solid alternatives as well especially if you're already entrenched in Amazon's ecosystem (as I am....)

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, I guess I should say this is for my mom. She's finally cable cutting, and dropping down to Philo for some live channels (especially the Hallmarks) and I'll run a Plex Server to host any particular shows she is missing. I thought about getting a Shield to also be the Plex Server as it would handle that better than my NAS (an HP N54L) but I don't think I really need to worry about much transcoding going from NAS to Roku. Only unmet want are locals, and we aren't going to pay $40 for YouTube TV or Hulu Live, so maybe an HD Homerun makes sense, but our OTA reception I think isn't great.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
It's true that the Roku UI is ugly as all hell, but it doesen't really matter as much as it used too because most app providers/developers roll their own UI these days. It's not like it was in 2013/2014 where everyone used the stock Roku UI API's and all Roku apps looked like the same ugly rear end program.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Cool Plex is turbofucked on my Samsung TV all of a sudden

It's displaying a dump or something when it boots

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

Cool Plex is turbofucked on my Samsung TV all of a sudden

It's displaying a dump or something when it boots

I just got an email saying there was a new Plex app rollout for a handful of devices. Is your Samsung TV a UHD+ display from 2016 or later?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

teagone posted:

I just got an email saying there was a new Plex app rollout for a handful of devices. Is your Samsung TV a UHD+ display from 2016 or later?

KS8000 yeah. Got the update like two days ago though, just broken today. Deleting and installing again seems to have worked.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Apparently you can get lifetime Plex for 89.99 with code FLASH25OFF if you're a new subscriber.

through 11:59 PM PT on Friday, November 16, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It also works if you’re not a new subscriber, but your subscription lapsed.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
This finally got me to jump for lifetime. Yeah baby!

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Can I cancel my current subscription and re-signup again with the code

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No, that specifically doesn’t work. You could make a new account though.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Too late. That's a good idea and I'll do it next time.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Glad I grabbed it when it was $75 a few weeks ago.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

You can also reach out to support. They’re really good about that. I did a year renewal and 10 days later they had a sale on lifetime. They told me to buy lifetime then they’d refund the full year.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I keep all of media on a NAS. Through a series of unfortunate events, I lost my main system drive and had to start over. Not too terrible since I keep backups of all of my work, but I didn't backup my Plex folder on the system drive. I reinstalled the OS and started a new server when I reinstalled Plex and re-added all of my media. It's all working fine, but I've lost all of my playlists, play status, etc. First world problems, I know, but it's annoying.

Is any of that stuff synced in the cloud that I can pull down somehow? Or since I lost my Plex folder with all of the configs is it gone?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Violator posted:

I keep all of media on a NAS. Through a series of unfortunate events, I lost my main system drive and had to start over. Not too terrible since I keep backups of all of my work, but I didn't backup my Plex folder on the system drive. I reinstalled the OS and started a new server when I reinstalled Plex and re-added all of my media. It's all working fine, but I've lost all of my playlists, play status, etc. First world problems, I know, but it's annoying.

Is any of that stuff synced in the cloud that I can pull down somehow? Or since I lost my Plex folder with all of the configs is it gone?

Watch status is tied to a database local to your machine. It'd need to be backed up.

Violator
May 15, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Watch status is tied to a database local to your machine. It'd need to be backed up.

Ah, thanks. That's what I figured. A lesson to improve my backups.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's a special deal today for Plex Pass members.

If you have Plex Pass, you can get a 20% coupon to the WD store. WD is running a promo on SSD drives already so the 20% off that brings prices down quite a bit.

Price After Coupon + Link:

500GB = $55.99
1TB = $107.99
https://www.wd.com/products/internal-ssd/wd-blue-3d-nand-sata-ssd.html#WDS500G2B0A

Get the 20% coupon here: https://www.plex.tv/plex-pass/perks/

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Violator posted:

Won’t help now but get trakt set up

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

kri kri posted:

Won’t help now but get trakt set up

Just out of curiosity, how (or if, at all?) does the Trakt plugin handle the play counts/etc. for shared users? I'm guessing they would have to set up the API individually for their own accounts?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Tautulli (formerly PlexPy) does great history tracking for you and other users. Also good for monitoring bandwidth and concurrent stream info.

https://tautulli.com

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I haven't kept up with Plex changes much for a while, have they created any way to easily include 2 versions of a movie in your library? If not, anyone have any creative solutions?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

emocrat posted:

I haven't kept up with Plex changes much for a while, have they created any way to easily include 2 versions of a movie in your library? If not, anyone have any creative solutions?

You can split the files more easily now. That's what I do.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

emocrat posted:

I have like four or five versions of Dawn of the Dead. I just keep them in different folders and rename them within Plex so I know which is which, like Dawn of the Dead (Theatrical Version), Dawn of the Dead (Director's Cut), Dawn of the Dead (Argento Cut), etc.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

wolfbiker posted:

I have like four or five versions of Dawn of the Dead. I just keep them in different folders and rename them within Plex so I know which is which, like Dawn of the Dead (Theatrical Version), Dawn of the Dead (Director's Cut), Dawn of the Dead (Argento Cut), etc.

You can just split them within Plex and change their display names. You're making it way harder than it needs to be. :psyduck:

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Atomizer posted:

You can just split them within Plex and change their display names. You're making it way harder than it needs to be. :psyduck:

But that's exactly what I did...?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

wolfbiker posted:

But that's exactly what I did...?
You don’t need extra folders or extra anything.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
The movie files were already in their own directories. All of them are.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For some things, ie the 2 different cuts of Deadpool 2 that exist, I just make a /Scene/ folder in the main movie and dump the other cut into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Oh, okay. All my movies are in one big folder, even the different editions of the same movie. If Plex defects them as exactly the same movie, you can split it within Plex and rename it correctly.