Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

brugroffil posted:

He started becoming a real jerk in the Merkin years (s5 and 6), got less jerk under Oakley and Weinstein for the most part, then it was a steep decline after that

https://youtu.be/AnIu8CI4Syw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Homer ran into that same issue where the show ran for long enough, that every subsequent episode where he is a jerk it becomes much less tolerable than before. Shows with the jerk dad like the Flinstones run into that a lot. There can only be so many episodes where he learns his lesson but keeps being an rear end in a top hat to Wilma before you can't stand to watch it anymore.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Plan Z posted:

Homer ran into that same issue where the show ran for long enough, that every subsequent episode where he is a jerk it becomes much less tolerable than before. Shows with the jerk dad like the Flinstones run into that a lot. There can only be so many episodes where he learns his lesson but keeps being an rear end in a top hat to Wilma before you can't stand to watch it anymore.

Maybe for me it's just looping back around then. I stopped watching... 2 decades ago maybe and I haven't lived in a country with syndicated Simpsons in a decade so I've only on rare occasions had a chance to watch any episodes aside from random YouTube clips. So even if he's less of a jerk, doesn't go too far, and learns a lesson at the end, the fact that he's a jerk at all is something I didn't really notice much as a kid.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

He used to strangle Bart. He's always been a jerk. It's just that he used to have reasons for it, and he never went so far that we couldn't identify with him.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It specifically gets annoying having Marge have to forgive Homer at the end again and again, or sometimes even have Homer forgive Marge even though he was the rear end in a top hat.

Or the episodes where they don't even bother to wrap things up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Or the episodes where they don't even bother to wrap things up.

This was a good gag in season 2's "Blood Feud".

Season 2. 1991. 27 years go.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
season 9 really kind of sucked but there were still good episodes in 10 . homer the Edison was pretty funny and had a lot of memorable lines . The entire opening sequence was great .

“Dad , women won’t like being shot in the face”
“Women will like what I tell them to like”

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

season 9 really kind of sucked but there were still good episodes in 10 . homer the Edison was pretty funny and had a lot of memorable lines . The entire opening sequence was great .

“Dad , women won’t like being shot in the face”
“Women will like what I tell them to like”

I think that was the last great episode,at least in my opinion. No surprise, it was a John Schwartzwelder episode.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Season 10 was pretty bad but still had some memorable bits like Homer's grease business, Max Power, or "One thousand and 99 springs to flush down."

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

That one episode with Mark Hamill was good, I think that was season 10. Maybe it was just good because of Mark Hamill though.

Edit: Oh yeah and the part where Fat Tony's goon and Homer are struggling with the knife. "Give me the knife!" "No, it's mine!"

womb with a view fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 8, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
This year I'm going to complete my collection, I just need season 1, 9, 10, and 11. That makes it a good run, Season 1 is rough, but not terrible, 2 - 8 are pure gold, 9 and 10 are in decline, and 11 is the blatant end of a good run.

EDIT:
The second episode of season 9, The Principal and the Pauper, while an episode that I enjoy, and actually is good IMHO, is the point where the shark gets jumped

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 8, 2018

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PostNouveau posted:

Any of y'all seen "The Problem with Apu"?

He gets a clip of Hank Azaria where he says he got the accent from Peter Sellers' playing an Indian guy and woo boy that role ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWBAKMYKPSc

peter was a saint and the party waw a good movie

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Just for ha-ha's sake (and because I am really bored at work) I just leafed through the episodes-by-season pages on IMDB. The Simpsons is almost as old as I am so I did not see the good seasons in order, and I've never given the show an in-order watch. Sometimes I feel like I want to, but then I figure it'll end up being a chore and don't bother.
Just some Fun (or not) Facts (or not) about the first 1/3 of the series:
Episodes I do not remember at all, even after reading the synopses:
S2E7 - Bart vs Thanksgiving
S3E2 - Mr Lisa Goes to Washington
S11E1 - Beyond Blunderdome (Guest Stars Mel Gibson)
First two would have been really old when I started watching (probably 1997, 1998) and my guess is weren't syndicated much up here in Canada? Or maybe I just missed them when they were. And would 1999 be just before Mel Gibson became a pariah?

Today is the 20-year anniversary of the first episode I can recall hating: S10E5: "When You Dish Upon a Star". Nov 8, 1998. Thus, for myself at least, I declare today the 20th anniversary of when the Simpsons started sucking. S10E12, the Super Bowl one, I also remember thinking sucked, then I found 4 in Season 11 I remember hating when new: E11 "Faith Off", E13 the Jockey one, E18 when Barney quits drinking and flies a helicopter, and E19... Florida.
Keep in mind I was 10 in 1998, I guess. I find it hard to believe I was watching The Simpsons regularly that young but whatever, I know I was pretty disappointed when Seinfeld went off the air, which was also 1998.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
"But Marge! Florida is America's wang"

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

peter was a saint

Unless you Britt Ecklund

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Diet Poison posted:

it was a fun episode! it was very very sarcastic about the government though

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
That episode wasn’t from 97 though it was 92. I remember because my mom forbid me from watching the Simpsons due to something that isn’t even cursing these days.

The one time it’s on and she’s watching it was the episode where Bart has to take his dog to obedience school. The trainer says “you son of a bitch” when handing out the award and that was it for me and the Simpsons. :(

A few years later I was free to watch TV again but it was season 5 to 6 and reruns. :sigh:

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 8, 2018

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

womb with a view posted:

That one episode with Mark Hamill was good, I think that was season 10. Maybe it was just good because of Mark Hamill though.

Edit: Oh yeah and the part where Fat Tony's goon and Homer are struggling with the knife. "Give me the knife!" "No, it's mine!"

Guys and dolls were all a bunch of crazy guys and dolls oh yeah yeah yeah yeah.

It's a funny episode.

It also has Malk

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The_Rob posted:

It's a funny episode.

It also has Malk

Luke be a Jedi toniiighhhtttt
Do it for chewie and the ewoks
And all the other puppets

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

The_Rob posted:

It's a funny episode.

It also has Malk

Malk was the PTA disbands.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
The PTA has disbanded!?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've had more than a few people tell me that they were banned from watching The Simpsons after Bart said (paraphrasing) "Dear God, we paid for this stuff ourselves, so thanks for nothing" while saying grace before dinner.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I've had more than a few people tell me that they were banned from watching The Simpsons after Bart said (paraphrasing) "Dear God, we paid for this stuff ourselves, so thanks for nothing" while saying grace before dinner.

*raises hand*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DropsySufferer posted:

That episode wasn’t from 97 though it was 92. I remember because my mom forbid me from watching the Simpsons due to something that isn’t even cursing these days.

The one time it’s on and she’s watching it was the episode where Bart has to take his dog to obedience school. The trainer says “you son of a bitch” when handing out the award and that was it for me and the Simpsons. :(

A few years later I was free to watch TV again but it was season 5 to 6 and reruns. :sigh:

I'm sure I've told this story before, but

My brother and I were staying with our religious relatives for a few days before a cross-country road trip. They would have no Simpsons in their house, no sir.

We pleaded and wheedled until they relented. "It's not bad," we said. "We watch it all the time. There's no, like, anti-religious or immoral stuff in it."

Tonight's episode: "Homer the Heretic"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Church is boring and staying home on Sundays owns

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

I'm sure I've told this story before, but

My brother and I were staying with our religious relatives for a few days before a cross-country road trip. They would have no Simpsons in their house, no sir.

We pleaded and wheedled until they relented. "It's not bad," we said. "We watch it all the time. There's no, like, anti-religious or immoral stuff in it."

Tonight's episode: "Homer the Heretic"

Well, I mean, if they had finished that episode they'd get a really wholesome, religious ending.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Well, I mean, if they had finished that episode they'd get a really wholesome, religious ending.

It's amazing how much has changed since that episode aired. Homer not going to Church is portrayed as this horrible thing and everyone is justified for holding it against him. Make that episode today and everyone would be talking about the Simpsons's being taken over by whacko Evangelicals.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That and the episode where Lisa is afraid of going to hell for stealing cable were really uncomfortable and weird to European audiences.

I assume that even in America tons of people at the time were going 'what is this Third World theocratic bullshit'

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lmao yeah it's weird to think of Bart being controversial but I definitely remember my grandparents making comments about what a poor role model he was.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

The_Rob posted:

It's a funny episode.

It also has Malk

No Mayored to the Mob had "Rats? I"m outraged! You promised me dog or higher!"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Diet Poison posted:

S2E7 - Bart vs Thanksgiving
S11E1 - Beyond Blunderdome (Guest Stars Mel Gibson)
First two would have been really old when I started watching (probably 1997, 1998) and my guess is weren't syndicated much up here in Canada? Or maybe I just missed them when they were. And would 1999 be just before Mel Gibson became a pariah?

I've just rewatched the first two and by name I didn't recognize them and for both it took through the opening act for me to remember them. They're good enough episodes, but yeah I guess compared to the rest of the golden era they're a bit forgettable.

I'll never forget the Mel Gibson one though because as an angry teenager, I couldn't get over the fact that the car didn't even look like the Interceptor.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
all those in favor , say die . The Mel Gibson one was great because of what Mel did down the line .

you all saw it , he came at me with a knife

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My dad was not a fan of the blasphemy early on so it was dicey for a few years

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Elderbean posted:

Lmao yeah it's weird to think of Bart being controversial but I definitely remember my grandparents making comments about what a poor role model he was.

President George HW Bush complained about it lol

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
My aunt wouldn't let my cousins watch the Simpsons and gave my parents strict instructions not to let them watch it when they came over to see me. My dad asked if they could watch Futurama and she didn't know what that was, but felt it should be okay because if it was bad she'd have heard of it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

goldenninjawarrior posted:

My aunt wouldn't let my cousins watch the Simpsons and gave my parents strict instructions not to let them watch it when they came over to see me. My dad asked if they could watch Futurama and she didn't know what that was, but felt it should be okay because if it was bad she'd have heard of it.

Wait in the 2000s there were actually people still banning Simpsons in their homes? What the gently caress

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

NiceGuy posted:

The PTA has disbanded!?

No, no! The PTA has not disbanded

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

That and the episode where Lisa is afraid of going to hell for stealing cable were really uncomfortable and weird to European audiences.

I assume that even in America tons of people at the time were going 'what is this Third World theocratic bullshit'

I grew up in a liberal Christian and, by the time I was ten or so, atheist family in North Carolina and it honestly didn't feel particularly out of place or preachy, as my family and everyone I knew had all gone to church every Sunday and Christian nonsense is ubiquitous in the south

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

khwarezm posted:

That's right I was thinking of the rats milk in the mark hammil ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Speaking of which, http://malkorganics.com/products/