Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think a lot of it is because of their size, they get a perspective the big 6 don't have. The rest seem to be following in Harrison's footsteps of "gut maintenance spending, hand it to investors", but I could be wrong if that's changed lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
KCS is by far the easiest railroad I've ever worked with (besides the one I work at). Very solid people over there, and the culture seems to be really positive.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
I duno if it's insanity but it sure is drat interesting. Really good audio too.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMbMH3UF7Q0

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

McDeth posted:

I duno if it's insanity but it sure is drat interesting. Really good audio too.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMbMH3UF7Q0

Insanity might just be the fact that I'm pretty sure that the guy you keep seeing cranking something just in front of the cab on the left side is manually operating an injector.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

McDeth posted:

Welp... thanks for the YouTube rabbit hole. Several videos now about trains in Burma and 2 hours later now watching a doc about traveling across Iran by train. drat it Youtube.....

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
More weird Myanmar poo poo -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3502lHaZQIo

also there's a Romanian minivan edition which features them jacking it up on some bits of wood and scaffold pole to spin it round and go the other way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zeBIxI7n1I

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
268 car (+4 loco) iron ore train ran away at 100kph when the driver got out to check a warning on a car in The Pilberra.

Ops let it run for ~80km before derailing it remotely before it got to the ore loader at the coast and did serious damage.

Video of the wreck

(It should be noted that the train was a normal one yet carrying only one driver for some reason, but this line is a prototype for driverless, and driverless tech was officially not at all responsible)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Only one driver because BHP and Rio Tinto are too cheap to hire two crews for trains. So they're going robotic on their lines.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:siren: AI Secret Santa is up! :siren:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Aren't there meant to be safety features which stop that from happening if the driver is incapacitated /asleep?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

pointsofdata posted:

Aren't there meant to be safety features which stop that from happening if the driver is incapacitated /asleep?

I thought this is literally what a deadman switch was supposed to be, and that they were ubiquitous?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

US railroads use alerters which are half deadman switch half "are you awake?" notification. Basically every 30 seconds to 2 minutes (I think) they beep, and if you wait too long to hit it the brakes are applied.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
What's the value of that amount of ore?

Ditto for that many railcars.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

spog posted:

1:1, as it sits

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

spog posted:

Ore isn't that valuable, even refined stuff is only $100-200/ton. Cars are, just axles are a couple of thousand dollars each and thats 248*6 or 248*4.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Ore is valuable when it is multiple trains per day on that line.

$55m per day losses if the stockpile at port hedland runs out. They have about a week until export losses kick in.

Loss of the train + wagons & track replacement work is probably a few million.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I was just commenting on the value of ore in a vacuum, no poo poo lost production and track repairs will cost roughly $nightmare. One mangled switch here where 8-10 ore trains go past each day is $80k in repairs and many times that in lost production if it starts affecting traffic.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

drunkill posted:

Ore is valuable when it is multiple trains per day on that line.

$55m per day losses if the stockpile at port hedland runs out. They have about a week until export losses kick in.

Loss of the train + wagons & track replacement work is probably a few million.

I wonder how their R/C trains will handle a burning journal box - I don't even know if they've got trackside cameras for rolling inspections.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
The value of the train or ore or the lost transport for a week it takes to clear the line don't really matter to a trillion dollar company. $nightmare for most companies is a rounding error for them.

The problem is that as a company they've bet very heavily on mine automation and this is a very embarrassing and public stuff-up. Automating this train line was stage 1.1 because it was the easiest bit of the easiest mine, and they've shown they can't get the easy stuff right yet.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

IPCRESS posted:

I wonder how their R/C trains will handle a burning journal box - I don't even know if they've got trackside cameras for rolling inspections.

Probably not even give a poo poo about it until it gets to the other end. I passed a rail grinding machine out in the middle of nowhere at night once out on the Eyre Peninsula for work. They'd set fire to about 150km of rail verge and were going full send into the night when we turned away from them.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

:lol: whoops

Uncontrolled 80-car train rolls a quarter kilometre through Calgary's inner city
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/runaway-train-cp-canadian-pacific-alyth-calgary-yard-rolled-away-1.4896921
Shared via the CBC News Android App

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Ok, here's some Ai poo poo from Albania here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unhXEQQk8G8

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Boomer The Cannon posted:

It looks like you posted a video from West Virginia by accident, though?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

IPCRESS posted:

roadside detectors probably. roadside detection equipment is relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of a derailment and the impact of a derailment on operations. since their equipment is captive and the railroad piece is a cost center for them, they're probably balls deep in big data analytics on repairs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Taking a Amtrak long distance sleeper from Denver to CA. It's already more than a hour late. AMA.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

nm posted:

Taking a Amtrak long distance sleeper from Denver to CA. It's already more than a hour late. AMA.

I took the Southwest Chief last month which was 30min early getting into LA, which was a surprising and nice change from my ride on the Empire Builder last year which got into Chicago almost six hours late.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
We're making up time now. Just the Colorado section has made the entire fare worth it.

Also I have 8 pint cans of good beer in a cooler, so things are looking good.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

nm posted:

We're making up time now. Just the Colorado section has made the entire fare worth it.

Also I have 8 pint cans of good beer in a cooler, so things are looking good.

I'm jealous. I was going to take a trip from DC to Pittsburgh instead of flying for a work conference, but sadly the train left at 5 pm and got in at midnight, so I wouldn't see anything interesting. It's a shame, I bet the trip through the mountains is pretty.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Neat to see him tapping the line in a crude form of PWM speed control.

Looks like the control unit is hosed other than for forward and reverse.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Log082 posted:

I'm jealous. I was going to take a trip from DC to Pittsburgh instead of flying for a work conference, but sadly the train left at 5 pm and got in at midnight, so I wouldn't see anything interesting. It's a shame, I bet the trip through the mountains is pretty.

For the record this has been loving awesome and we're only getting in like a hour late (knock on wood). Also, I killed 8 strong pint cans.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

nm posted:

For the record this has been loving awesome and we're only getting in like a hour late (knock on wood). Also, I killed 8 strong pint cans.

My flight was actually pretty good and short and I STILL got the short end of the stick here, I can tell

(the pint cans are a clue)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

We had the coolest room attendant and dining car staff, with lax enforcement of the outside booze in your room only rule.
Lots of interesting people too. The scenery was also amazing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

nm posted:

I have hosed up both times I've done an Amtrak sleeper car trip in that I did not bring a cooler.

I've got a million Amtrak points now thanks to those trips+the Amtrak Mastetcard bonus so I'm trying to decide which route I should try out next. Chicago to New Orleans? Chicago to Austin? Never been to either city, anyone know if one route is more scenic than the other?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sirotan posted:

I have hosed up both times I've done an Amtrak sleeper car trip in that I did not bring a cooler.

I've got a million Amtrak points now thanks to those trips+the Amtrak Mastetcard bonus so I'm trying to decide which route I should try out next. Chicago to New Orleans? Chicago to Austin? Never been to either city, anyone know if one route is more scenic than the other?

Go all out and either go to San Francisco or Seattle/Portland. The scenery was so good. I've heard some of the shorter routes also have pretty lame food now, which would be a bummer. The food was actually pretty solid on this.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit wrong thread

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xavnVUg4g9k

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Conclusion on the Pilbara train accident:

quote:

I am pleased to advise that this week we have safely returned to full rail operations with ore flowing to the port 10 days after the intentional iron ore train derailment south of Port Hedland.
We have also completed our preliminary internal investigation into the derailment incident.
Our initial findings show the train came to a stop after a braking system control cable became disconnected. The train began to move after the driver had disembarked to carry out an inspection, becoming what is termed a “rollaway” train. The train was then derailed intentionally, because it could not be brought to a stop with the braking system. This decision was made with safety as the highest priority. The driver was unharmed and no-one sustained any injuries as a result of the incident.
The preliminary internal investigation sought to understand why the rollaway occurred, and why the train could only be brought to a stop by derailment.
Our initial findings show that the emergency air brake for the entire train was not engaged as required by the relevant operating procedure. In addition, the electric braking system that initially stopped the train, automatically released after one hour while the driver was still outside. Due to an integration issue with the backup braking system, it failed to stop the train.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Why would you design a braking system on a train to automatically release? :stare:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why would you design a braking system on a train to automatically release? :stare:

Don't worry, the driver will be at fault because he didn't set the emergency air brakes before he stepped out. Though, if that is actually the parking brake, shouldn't it be called the parking brake? It isn't really being used in emergency if it regularly is used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
No idea if Aussie trains have anything in common with trains that operate in North America, but the rail cars in N.A. interchange service have two braking systems, air brake and hand brake.

Hand brake is mechanical and holds a car stationary. It's operated by hand, engineers can't operate them remotely. There's one per car, and since one won't hold an entire train stationary, you need to walk the train applying as many as you need.

Air brake runs off air pressure, and depends on an air line running the length of the train to feed it compressed air. The air brake system on each car has a tank which stores air, and if the line running the train gets ruptured, the tank sends its pressure to the brakes. Every car on the train will do this, and it'll stop the train automatically. The air can bleed off gradually though, and if the hand brakes aren't applied soon, gravity can take over and the train can roll away. This happened in Lec Megantic.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A rail car's natural state is to roll free, like a car in neutral with its parking brake off. This makes them handy to shunt move around mines, terminals, factories, plants, and sorting yards while they're not part of a train. To have spring-operated brakes that require air pressure to release, you'd need each car to have an engine, compressor, battery and fuel, to make them reasonable to move around on a moment's notice. They also need the ability to sit in the same spot, in every kind of weather, full shade or full sun, for years on a storage track, and then be ready to go with next to no maintenance, so a lot of ancillary braking methods won't be both cost-effective and feasible.