Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

You know what's good? Dill pickle soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SLOSifl posted:

I realize it may have been too soon to bring celery back into the conversation.

Now I'm reminded of

https://www.lileks.com/institute/frahm/

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

:yeah: Very much so. Yum.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

RoboRodent posted:

I have never heard of this before now, but I would like to know more.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Yawgmoth posted:

It's Polish and really good! It's traditionally called zupa ogorkowa.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Brawnfire posted:

gently caress an onion

And now you know how your mom got onion breath

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yo guys I got a strong opinion about a food

Don't gently caress onions.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

Don't gently caress onions.

You're not my real monkey mom

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Aunt Beth posted:

Rochester, NY laughs at your weak attempts to impose order on pizza. Rhino’s Pizza has unleashed dill pickle pizza on the world.

White garlic sauce, mozzarella cheese, pickles, extra dill

Ok ok, hear me out. Deep fry this fucker. Listen, Pizza=Delicious, Fried-pickles=Delicious. Deep fried pickle pizza needs to happen.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

It's Polish and really good! It's traditionally called zupa ogorkowa.
Poland is really good at fermented/pickled things. Żurek is a delicious sour rye soup that's worth investigating as well.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

This is generally how I make it, except I usually add a pile of garlic and dillweed to it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, pickles, vegetables soaked in acid for days, are well known to reduce acid content in dishes they are added to.

The pickles they serve with pizza are always very, very sweet like most Korean... I was going to say pickles but really food, in general.

A Korean pizza has no acidity in the sauce, it's basically ketchup except sweeter. If there's even tomato sauce and not something weirder.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

A Korean pizza has no acidity in the sauce, it's basically ketchup except sweeter. If there's even tomato sauce and not something weirder.

All this Korean pizzaposting and this tidbit never dropped? Easily the worst part and somehow makes Korean pizzas look even worse.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, pickles, vegetables soaked in acid for days, are well known to reduce acid content in dishes they are added to.

I didn’t say it made sense it’s just what I remember their weird excuse was for all Koreans eating pizza with them

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kalsco posted:

All this Korean pizzaposting and this tidbit never dropped? Easily the worst part and somehow makes Korean pizzas look even worse.

No part of Korean pizza makes sense or is good.

The most low-key gross one I ever saw had mayo instead of tomato sauce, topped with the usual fake cheese, corn, and sweet potato mousse.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

RoboRodent posted:

This is generally how I make it, except I usually add a pile of garlic and dillweed to it.

That sounds delicious (in fact I might pitch it to my boss as a soup du jour because we keep all that stuff on hand and it would be super low food cost to us).

But dang if the picture in your link doesn't qualify for this thread. Blurry, ungarnished, roughly chopped chunky pieces, kinda looks like someone threw up into that hideously colored mauve bowl. HoW do you maintain a food blog and think "this is fine"?

A little googling found much more attractive pics, if anyone's on the fence about trying this.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

They are not

My opinion on pickles: bread and butter and sweet gherkins are good

Dill pickles are bad

Dill pickle brine is somehow good and pickleback shots are the most delicious form of alcohol possible if made with bourbon

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

All pickles are good

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Can we bring back thread spiral graphs? I feel like we should be moving onto olives right about now.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

All pickles are good

:same:

I did pickled radishes, beets, and carrots for a catering event last week, and they done got eaten up before I even got some. Did some in a sweet, gingery brine, and some in a nice sour dill. There is a pickle for everyone.

No pickle rules (alternately, "no, pickle rules")

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tribbledirigible posted:

Can we bring back thread spiral graphs? I feel like we should be moving onto olives right about now.

i love olives :kiddo:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Randaconda posted:

:same:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Olives suck

Olive tapenade is good though? I have complex feelings about foods and the sauces they become

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Randaconda posted:

But do you love olives this much?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Olives suck

Olive tapenade is good though? I have complex feelings about foods and the sauces they become

You dislike dill pickles, yet like pickle backs.
You think olives suck, but enjoy tapenade.
...Yeah, you are quite the culinary conundrum, Aesop. But hey, I'm okay with that! Different strokes for different folks, as my gramma always said. The world would be a boring place if we all agreed on food. Me, I'm in no rush to eat insects, but if I found myself somewhere that deep-fried grasshoppers were all the rage, I might try them --- and like them! Variety is the spice of life.

That said, "I loves/olives" is an anagram I'm proud to state. Gimme all the olives.

Edit: yes, Haifisch, all those olives. I actually would. I would just shove that briny bitch all up in my mouth.

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Nov 9, 2018

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Haifisch posted:

My arteries say no, but my mouth says yes!

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

My dad puts pickles on his cheeseburger bacon pizza, and his reuben pizza. I can't think of any other instances where this would work, but both are very, very good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Would if they were green.

My friend owns a bar and when I lived there he would keep a jar of olives in the fridge solely for me and another friend who both like our martinis to essentially be a chilled glass of olives soaking in a bath of gin.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Goddamn it, now I want that dill pickle pizza but also blue cheese-stuffed olives as a nibble to have with my martini (that has several blue cheese-stuffed olives in it).

Also, I just had an enormous dinner so I'm now feeling slightly nauseated given the combination of being full and intense food cravings.

Randaconda will probably post some rundown of various quivering 1950s hellslops and then I'll be even more nauseated.

thread why can't I quit you

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

"Baked bean stuffed olives."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Haifisch posted:

"Baked bean stuffed olives."

traditional garnish for the three-olive marbeani

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

bike tory posted:

Celery is nice, especially dipped in hummus or aioli or something. Much better than cucumber which imo tastes just like the bit of the watermelon that you throw away. Celery salt is also loving delicious and as someone said celery is an essential ingredient in a vegetable soup stock.

But like all decent foods, celery is heavily abused

Yo this mother fucker just admitted that they dip celery into mayonnaise and eat it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

I didn't give you permission to post my Subway order

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rollersnake posted:

Pineapple and feta sounds like it would pair about as well as toothpaste and orange juice.

Sounds fine to me. Why wouldn't they go together?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Sounds fine to me. Why wouldn't they go together?

So you have no real teeth left, is what you're saying?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tribbledirigible posted:

So you have no real teeth left, is what you're saying?

:confused:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Found some old newspaper from 1948.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Awful as those 70s cookbook photos are, I gotta say they're a step up from black-and-white line-art reproductions of corned beef hash dishes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Picture aside, that doesn't sound too different from any current meat-stuffed tomatoes or peppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

LadyPictureShow posted:

Found some old newspaper from 1948.

I'm the "banquet quality" hams